Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 the most immersive MMO out in terms of the world?

135

Comments

  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    azurrei said:
    Yes, dozens of instanced versions of every zone is very immersive...and so are repeating events.  While NPC interactions and dynamic (but scripted...) events give the illusion of immersion quite well, GW(3) needs to be open world to even be considered immersive.
    Filbur said:
    While I don't agree with you, the new zone looks amazing:


    But the world is too zoned for me and the same events over and over again destroy every immersion. Plus the skybox is kind of weird and off in terms of scale.



    So you'd rather have the zero that all other mmo's give you instead?  Yea how about you wake up and smell the coffee quit living in a bubble.  The loading screen breaks your immersion but playing huge world games where the npc's just sit still doesn't.  Yea try to hate some more why don't you.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    The hate in this thread is hilarious.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    No, GW2 feels like very much like an artificial themepark. It's pretty, but it's construction doesn't feel immersive. IMO, ofc. EQ was far more immersive in '99.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Nearly every negative comment is coming from someone who hasn't even played the game.  I mean its like they threw their brains out the window and started frothing at the mouth.  And then they either name some 20 year old mmo as an example of how GW2 did it wrong.  How about you name something that has come out within the past 10 years instead?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    filmoret said:
    Nearly every negative comment is coming from someone who hasn't even played the game.  I mean its like they threw their brains out the window and started frothing at the mouth.  And then they either name some 20 year old mmo as an example of how GW2 did it wrong.  How about you name something that has come out within the past 10 years instead?
    Or how about maybe, just maybe people have different opinions? For me personally, I have had more immersive experiences in WoW than I ever had for any of the 1000's of hours I have spent in GW2 since its release.  At least in WoW I can run across an entire continent without getting 20 loading screens...GW2 has some good features - an immersive open world is not one of them.  The feeling of immersion is going to be different for different people - scripted events that repeat is not very immersive to me, personally.
  • NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    GW2 didn't meet it's vision.  I'll quote "Once you save a village, it stays saved and they remember you."  It fell far short.

    ESO is a much more immersive world for me.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    immersive? nah... ESO has that one.
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."


    "The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."



     
    Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 


  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,528
    I have 3 level 80's bought the expansion and have 52 or so videos on my youtube channel of me leveling up my elementalist.

    You are smoking crack if you think GW2 is even a contender for most immersive world.

    Dynamic events are just scripted content that repeats. There are waypoints and loading screens everywhere as well as jumping puzzles, vistas, and hearts. All of which completely break immersion for me and remind me I'm playing a video game.

    Seriously clueless thread.


    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

    Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    For me when it comes to the world in and of itself, the prize would go to Black Desert. Too bad there are so many other aspects to the game that I don't like.

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Nilden said:
    I have 3 level 80's bought the expansion and have 52 or so videos on my youtube channel of me leveling up my elementalist.

    You are smoking crack if you think GW2 is even a contender for most immersive world.

    Dynamic events are just scripted content that repeats. There are waypoints and loading screens everywhere as well as jumping puzzles, vistas, and hearts. All of which completely break immersion for me and remind me I'm playing a video game.

    Seriously clueless thread.


    Ok so what do you sit there in the same location and watch the same script over and over repeat itself every hour?  Or do you move around and experience one of the many other scripts?  Now you can realize how much water your excuse holds.  If you move through an area like a normal person you will be hard pressed to see a script repeat itself more then 1 time.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    GW2's world and interactions are immersive, but the story doesn't do it justice.  The original GW1's story is so much better.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,528
    filmoret said:
    Nilden said:
    I have 3 level 80's bought the expansion and have 52 or so videos on my youtube channel of me leveling up my elementalist.

    You are smoking crack if you think GW2 is even a contender for most immersive world.

    Dynamic events are just scripted content that repeats. There are waypoints and loading screens everywhere as well as jumping puzzles, vistas, and hearts. All of which completely break immersion for me and remind me I'm playing a video game.

    Seriously clueless thread.


    Ok so what do you sit there in the same location and watch the same script over and over repeat itself every hour?  Or do you move around and experience one of the many other scripts?  Now you can realize how much water your excuse holds.  If you move through an area like a normal person you will be hard pressed to see a script repeat itself more then 1 time.
    Everyone playing this is going to see stuff repeat. It breaks immersion. It doesn't matter if you stand still or move.

    http://gw2timer.com/?enu_Language=en

    World boss timers and the old champion train/chain when that was a thing or the zone events in the expansion are the world content you will be doing at 80. None of which is immersive world content. It's more like zergs farming than an immersive world.

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

    Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited December 2016
    Nilden said:
    filmoret said:
    Nilden said:
    I have 3 level 80's bought the expansion and have 52 or so videos on my youtube channel of me leveling up my elementalist.

    You are smoking crack if you think GW2 is even a contender for most immersive world.

    Dynamic events are just scripted content that repeats. There are waypoints and loading screens everywhere as well as jumping puzzles, vistas, and hearts. All of which completely break immersion for me and remind me I'm playing a video game.

    Seriously clueless thread.


    Ok so what do you sit there in the same location and watch the same script over and over repeat itself every hour?  Or do you move around and experience one of the many other scripts?  Now you can realize how much water your excuse holds.  If you move through an area like a normal person you will be hard pressed to see a script repeat itself more then 1 time.
    Everyone playing this is going to see stuff repeat. It breaks immersion. It doesn't matter if you stand still or move.

    http://gw2timer.com/?enu_Language=en

    World boss timers and the old champion train/chain when that was a thing or the zone events in the expansion are the world content you will be doing at 80. None of which is immersive world content. It's more like zergs farming than an immersive world.

    So do you have an example of something better aside from FF14 and ESO?  I mean they have like 30 different world events that are all considered endgame.  Yes some of them are easy and there's quite a few that are hard as hell.  How is this different then running the same raid in any other mmo?  Other then the fact that you have 30 choices?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,723
    Nilden said:
    filmoret said:
    Nilden said:
    I have 3 level 80's bought the expansion and have 52 or so videos on my youtube channel of me leveling up my elementalist.

    You are smoking crack if you think GW2 is even a contender for most immersive world.

    Dynamic events are just scripted content that repeats. There are waypoints and loading screens everywhere as well as jumping puzzles, vistas, and hearts. All of which completely break immersion for me and remind me I'm playing a video game.

    Seriously clueless thread.


    Ok so what do you sit there in the same location and watch the same script over and over repeat itself every hour?  Or do you move around and experience one of the many other scripts?  Now you can realize how much water your excuse holds.  If you move through an area like a normal person you will be hard pressed to see a script repeat itself more then 1 time.
    Everyone playing this is going to see stuff repeat. It breaks immersion. It doesn't matter if you stand still or move.

    http://gw2timer.com/?enu_Language=en

    World boss timers and the old champion train/chain when that was a thing or the zone events in the expansion are the world content you will be doing at 80. None of which is immersive world content. It's more like zergs farming than an immersive world.

    That's the internet for you! There is no escape from this. Just about every game has something like this.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    I don't believe I have heard a convincing argument to make the claim that GW2 is MOST Immersive.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

    Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

    https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

    Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

    John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

    FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

    LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"




  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,528
    filmoret said:
    Nilden said:
    filmoret said:
    Nilden said:
    I have 3 level 80's bought the expansion and have 52 or so videos on my youtube channel of me leveling up my elementalist.

    You are smoking crack if you think GW2 is even a contender for most immersive world.

    Dynamic events are just scripted content that repeats. There are waypoints and loading screens everywhere as well as jumping puzzles, vistas, and hearts. All of which completely break immersion for me and remind me I'm playing a video game.

    Seriously clueless thread.


    Ok so what do you sit there in the same location and watch the same script over and over repeat itself every hour?  Or do you move around and experience one of the many other scripts?  Now you can realize how much water your excuse holds.  If you move through an area like a normal person you will be hard pressed to see a script repeat itself more then 1 time.
    Everyone playing this is going to see stuff repeat. It breaks immersion. It doesn't matter if you stand still or move.

    http://gw2timer.com/?enu_Language=en

    World boss timers and the old champion train/chain when that was a thing or the zone events in the expansion are the world content you will be doing at 80. None of which is immersive world content. It's more like zergs farming than an immersive world.

    So do you have an example of something better aside from FF14 and ESO?  I mean they have like 30 different world events that are all considered endgame.  Yes some of them are easy and there's quite a few that are hard as hell.  How is this different then running the same raid in any other mmo?  Other then the fact that you have 30 choices?
    Well for starters anything with a seemless open world that doesn't have instant quick travel everywhere. This isn't about raids or world events, if it was I would say Rift nailed that.

    I would also say terraforming and building like in Landmark or Life is feudal make for an immersive world. Pretty much the more seemless, interactive and open a game world is the more immersive it is to me. Also attention to tiny details and good graphics and animations and sound go a long way. The ability to build and housing goes a long way as well.

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

    Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Nilden said:
    filmoret said:
    Nilden said:
    I have 3 level 80's bought the expansion and have 52 or so videos on my youtube channel of me leveling up my elementalist.

    You are smoking crack if you think GW2 is even a contender for most immersive world.

    Dynamic events are just scripted content that repeats. There are waypoints and loading screens everywhere as well as jumping puzzles, vistas, and hearts. All of which completely break immersion for me and remind me I'm playing a video game.

    Seriously clueless thread.


    Ok so what do you sit there in the same location and watch the same script over and over repeat itself every hour?  Or do you move around and experience one of the many other scripts?  Now you can realize how much water your excuse holds.  If you move through an area like a normal person you will be hard pressed to see a script repeat itself more then 1 time.
    Everyone playing this is going to see stuff repeat. It breaks immersion. It doesn't matter if you stand still or move.

    http://gw2timer.com/?enu_Language=en

    World boss timers and the old champion train/chain when that was a thing or the zone events in the expansion are the world content you will be doing at 80. None of which is immersive world content. It's more like zergs farming than an immersive world.

    That's the internet for you! There is no escape from this. Just about every game has something like this.
    While I agree with you about the ubiquitous nature of immersion breaking elements, I think it sucks that it's in just about every game.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    filmoret said:
     ...

    What are you doing Filmoret? Because it looks like you are essentially just advocating the status quo and counter complaining for its own sake, or maybe because everyone needs to be ok with what you like in games like SWTOR and GW2. 
    Not sure what your aim is in this thread
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited December 2016
    Nilden said:
    filmoret said:
    Nilden said:
    filmoret said:
    Nilden said:
    I have 3 level 80's bought the expansion and have 52 or so videos on my youtube channel of me leveling up my elementalist.

    You are smoking crack if you think GW2 is even a contender for most immersive world.

    Dynamic events are just scripted content that repeats. There are waypoints and loading screens everywhere as well as jumping puzzles, vistas, and hearts. All of which completely break immersion for me and remind me I'm playing a video game.

    Seriously clueless thread.


    Ok so what do you sit there in the same location and watch the same script over and over repeat itself every hour?  Or do you move around and experience one of the many other scripts?  Now you can realize how much water your excuse holds.  If you move through an area like a normal person you will be hard pressed to see a script repeat itself more then 1 time.
    Everyone playing this is going to see stuff repeat. It breaks immersion. It doesn't matter if you stand still or move.

    http://gw2timer.com/?enu_Language=en

    World boss timers and the old champion train/chain when that was a thing or the zone events in the expansion are the world content you will be doing at 80. None of which is immersive world content. It's more like zergs farming than an immersive world.

    So do you have an example of something better aside from FF14 and ESO?  I mean they have like 30 different world events that are all considered endgame.  Yes some of them are easy and there's quite a few that are hard as hell.  How is this different then running the same raid in any other mmo?  Other then the fact that you have 30 choices?
    Well for starters anything with a seemless open world that doesn't have instant quick travel everywhere. This isn't about raids or world events, if it was I would say Rift nailed that.

    I would also say terraforming and building like in Landmark or Life is feudal make for an immersive world. Pretty much the more seemless, interactive and open a game world is the more immersive it is to me. Also attention to tiny details and good graphics and animations and sound go a long way. The ability to build and housing goes a long way as well.
    seamless open world doesn't exist.  So how in the hell do you consider it a huge break to immersion?  You name LIF which has a world approximately the size of 1 zone in GW2 as immersive.  Yea you are making a lot of sense.   I mean come on man don't be silly about this.  It would help if GW2 had a seamless world of course but you don't really have that option anywhere right now.  So when you plan on using an excuse to troll GW2's immersion.  At least come up with something that can be found in another mmorpg that at least has some sort of npc diversion other then standing still waiting to get attacked.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Archlyte said:
    filmoret said:
     ...

    What are you doing Filmoret? Because it looks like you are essentially just advocating the status quo and counter complaining for its own sake, or maybe because everyone needs to be ok with what you like in games like SWTOR and GW2. 
    Not sure what your aim is in this thread
    We are discussing the uniqueness of a game and when people wish to disagree at least tthey should come up with something half way decent as an argument.  I mean it breaks immersion because of zones.  Or the same old scripts repeat themselves every hour or so.  They need to think first before barfing crap all over a game.  Yet they cannot name 1 game that is full of scripts or a seamless world.  ESO, FF14 exceptions because yes they are newer and had people think before they developed.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,528
    filmoret said:
    seamless open world doesn't exist.  So how in the hell do you consider it a huge break to immersion?  You name LIF which has a world approximately the size of 1 zone in GW2 as immersive.  Yea you are making a lot of sense.   I mean come on man don't be silly about this.  It would help if GW2 had a seamless world of course but you don't really have that option anywhere right now.  So when you plan on using an excuse to troll GW2's immersion.  At least come up with something that can be found in another mmorpg that at least has some sort of npc diversion other then standing still waiting to get attacked.
    I don't see why you needed to quote that whole thing.

    WOW had a seemless open world except for continent zoning and dungeons back in 2004. I named LIF because you can terraform and build in it. I'm not the one trolling here, or getting offended. NPC diversion is all that is in GW2, there is no AI going on, the only thing dynamic is a fail state. It's just scripts like I've seen done before in muds and when they repeat it's utterly immersion breaking.

    If you can't handle my opinion don't ask for it.

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

    Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,639
    edited December 2016
    GW2 world is very well done, the design is good, the event AI and the attempt to make stuff decently dynamic adds to it.

    The immersion breaking part is how instanced the MMO is via loading screens, unable to provide as other MMO's the seamless world vibe. Side of that GW2 did the game world right.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    edited December 2016
    Nilden said:
    filmoret said:
    seamless open world doesn't exist.  So how in the hell do you consider it a huge break to immersion?  You name LIF which has a world approximately the size of 1 zone in GW2 as immersive.  Yea you are making a lot of sense.   I mean come on man don't be silly about this.  It would help if GW2 had a seamless world of course but you don't really have that option anywhere right now.  So when you plan on using an excuse to troll GW2's immersion.  At least come up with something that can be found in another mmorpg that at least has some sort of npc diversion other then standing still waiting to get attacked.
    I don't see why you needed to quote that whole thing.

    WOW had a seemless open world except for continent zoning and dungeons back in 2004. I named LIF because you can terraform and build in it. I'm not the one trolling here, or getting offended. NPC diversion is all that is in GW2, there is no AI going on, the only thing dynamic is a fail state. It's just scripts like I've seen done before in muds and when they repeat it's utterly immersion breaking.

    If you can't handle my opinion don't ask for it.
    You realize you are basically saying everything they did was bad?  Which is why you are getting such a response from me.  And you are basically saying the only thing that makes a world immersive is seamless world.  Because that is all WOW has and that is somehow on your list of immersive mmorpg's.

    I mean why don't you at least give us an example of an immersive mmorpg?  
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,528
    edited December 2016
    filmoret said:

    I mean why don't you at least give us an example of an immersive mmorpg?  
    Star Wars Galaxies pre NGE.

    Open world planets but with borders, space shuttle and the JTLS space ships with the yacht house space boat. Entire player towns, housing system, crafting system, trade/vendor system, no instant travel.

    Also GW2 is far from bad it's just not an open immersive world.

    Edit: Just a side note on mounts and speeders in SWG and nothing in GW2. Also going the way of SWG for immersion.

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

    Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,639
    Nilden said:
    no instant travel.
    Hmm well, you can consider instant travel immersion breaking yeah. It's one thing I like on MMO's like BDO, the refusal of fast-travel actually makes you travel accross the world, makes the roads always having players moving around what is unusual to see on MMO's.
Sign In or Register to comment.