Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Servers

StowawayStowaway Member Posts: 165

Single Server?

multiple server?

A hardcore pvp server? Roleplay server?

What kind of approach do you think would work well, and do we know what they will be doing?

I remember reading in an interview there'll be a pvp and a non-pvp server???

or did i dream that.

not sure what i feel about this, id love to be able to have single server for the pluses of community, storyline, etc.

But then, i would love to have a completely open pvp server to be able to go on, really dangerous and stuff.

I think about maybe a mix of all, single server, danger zones where can be killed, but i always think this could get very messy. But a single server is just awesome for community i think and story.

At the most id want a couple or three servers, when you join an mmorpg that has like 25 servers, you are just like..... ::::31::

It boggles my mind ::::06:: I hope whatever they decide to do it turns out good tho ::::20::

Comments

• StowawayStowaway Member Posts: 165

ah, found the quote from the interview.

"There will be options for both styles of game play, PvP and non-PvP. We are very aware of the issues with each style of play, and plan to provide for either experience. At present we believe this may be best handled with separate servers, and optional PvP areas and options, but we plan to try different solutions during the testing period to see what works best."

• RadzikRadzik Member Posts: 73

Its weird for me because of my playstyle. I'm a hardcore RPer. If I find a good group I could be totally in character for my whole life in FE. But I also like to be able to fight whomever I want, whenever I want. Nothing makes RPing gayer than having limits to what your character can do. Emotes help alot with most of these limits. Cant climb that rope up that tree in game? Heres the solution *climbs the rope*.::::02:: Ever try using emotes for a fight? Its like two 3 year olds playing cops and robbers.

*shoots him*

*Dodges his bullet and shoots him back*

*Dodges his bullet and shoots him with a rocket launcher*

If you cant fight another player any time any where this is how RPers will have to solve arguements. That or walk 15 minutes to a PvP "Zone" just to punch someone in the face and tell them to shut up.

• Staffa22Staffa22 Member Posts: 22

It all depends.  If there 20k to 50k people one server would be best.  If there are 200-300k people then you will need multiple realms, or lag would kill the game.

I think WoW has done a decent job with the different rule set servers.  Depending on how divergent the clans/groups are it would may makes sense to have more PVP or less.  You don't appear to have two sides Imperial/Rebel, Alliance/Horde, that would make the PVP rules obvious.  I don't think it makes sense that you can attack anyone on site, just those of opposing faction, or if you build up negative faction/declare war. 

It is tough to speculate about PvP without a good understanding of the backstory of different factions, the reason for PVP and the potential rewards.  If you want a duel system where you can attack anyone, fine.  If you are PVPing to deny something to an enemy in game, or to further your own cause that is a different story.

• CthulhuvongCthulhuvong Member UncommonPosts: 433

Originally posted by Staffa22
    It all depends. If there 20k to 50k people one server would be best. If there are 200-300k people then you will need multiple realms, or lag would kill the game.
    This is true, if we're talking smaller then we'd only need 1 server. If it ended up being big then there would be the need for more. The way this game is shaping up, I see it as more of a EVE Online type game with a strong but somewhat small palyer base rather than the WoW, EQ/EQ2, SWG large player base in which half the players are short term (under 6 months). Unless it can get tons and tons of advertising, it will be a small based game that will gradually gain in hardcore players, similar to EVE online. EVE has continually gained players throughout its 2+ year history. And although it doesn't have the subscription base of games like Galaxies, it has continually cranked out new content and an interactive world.

I think WoW has done a decent job with the different rule set servers. Depending on how divergent the clans/groups are it would may makes sense to have more PVP or less. You don't appear to have two sides Imperial/Rebel, Alliance/Horde, that would make the PVP rules obvious. I don't think it makes sense that you can attack anyone on site, just those of opposing faction, or if you build up negative faction/declare war.
    Why shouldn't you be able to attack anyone anywhere? If you walk down the street IRL can you tell what company the guy you pass works for? What his political affiliation? How powerful he is? No. But can you attack him? Hell yes. You could attack anyone you pass on the street, at any time. There are multiple factions, but they aren't needed to play. You don't start in any of them, and they aren't the major powers of the world. Combat doesn't revolve around them, it revolves around those fighting to survive and those trying to take advantage of others.

Also, there won't be any "combat mode" that you go into to fight like many other games. You can just randomly fire into the air if you want, shoot at buildings, or at random creatures. However, if you don't enable full PvP you make characters invincible in an otherwise vulnerable world.

And as for WoW, they have "Normal" "RP" and "PvP" servers. Most of the time for MMOs, RP just means non-PvP. However, many RPers need PvP to properly RP combat. Otherwise its just hollow, as Radzik showed.

It is tough to speculate about PvP without a good understanding of the backstory of different factions, the reason for PVP and the potential rewards. If you want a duel system where you can attack anyone, fine. If you are PVPing to deny something to an enemy in game, or to further your own cause that is a different story.
    The factions have an overview on the Fallen Earth website, so we do have an understand of what they're about. Only 1 is strictly centered around combat (CHOTA), two are partially around combat (Enforcers and Travelers), and the rest are not based on combat (though you could be combat and part of the group). There would be no way to set it up in factional war like in WoW or SWG. PvP is to try and get the rights to a scavange pile, or to defend the fuel you're carrying, or the control over a building. It should be free because it should be dangerous. The Post-apocalyptic world isn't going to be candy and sunshine, it should be death around every corner.

Now if there are going to be multiple servers, then they shouldn't claim any to be RP servers, since RP should be part of your play style, and should incorperate whatever the server's rules are.

Waiting For: something good
    Games Tried: SWTOR, Star Trek Online, EQ, EQ2, Earth and Beyond, Planetside, Lineage 2, Eve Online, WoW, City of Heroes, City of Villians, Auto Assault, Fallen Earth
    Star Wars: Galaxies - Ibra Olasi (Valcyn Server) [Dead, screw you SOE]