Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Gaming Chair For Long Term Gaming?!

mastermind335mastermind335 Member UncommonPosts: 15
edited November 2016 in Hardware
Hi guys. As the title says that is what I am looking for and I've followed a few guides to find the right chair. And I found out that the IKEA Marcus and Sayl by Herman Miller seemed to be the best for me, BUT i still need some advices. Also for those of you in interest I followed this guide about The Best pc gaming chairs. It is quite helpful but also a lot of expensive chairs.
Post edited by mastermind335 on

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    There is no option that would be best for everyone. Pick one that's comfortable, and if you've got some health issues take them into account.

Also remember to exercise sometimes. It's much more about keeping your body in good condition than it's about picking a good chair.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    From your list I can say that I've tried the mesh seat version of this chair:

https://www.amazon.com/Office-Star-FreeFlex-Adjustable-Multi-Function/dp/B00450P182/ref=sr_1_1?tag=amazon0240-20&ie=UTF8&qid=1477936179&sr=8-1&keywords=office+star+progrid

Which wasn't bad at all. Adjustable and a good price. If you like padded seats then I don't think it would be a bad purchase.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Guess it's time to replace my folding chair. :chuffed:
    Amathe[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    edited November 2016
    I have worked in a hospital that had the Ergohuman Chair and it by far was one of the best chairs I have ever sat in.  The full mesh allows air flow so you don't sweat at all and is comfortable to boot.  The biggest downfall is these chairs cost a ton of money, with some as high as $1k, which seems to be the case of almost all full mess chairs these days.  I can find tons with mess backs but I myself have been looking for full mess and those are hard to find.  The support in these chairs is awesome, I have actually slept a couple 3rd shifts sitting in these chairs.

Ergohuman Chair

https://www.amazon.com/Ergohuman-Swivel-Chair-Headrest-Chrome/dp/B002LK1YNO/ref=sr_1_1?tag=amazon0240-20&ie=UTF8&qid=1477939853&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Ergohuman+Chair

Ergonomic gaming chair

I have also been looking at the dxracer chairs myself the only concerns i have from those is getting hot or sweating due to the covering of the chairs.

I am doing the same as you now and looking for a really good replacement chair.  My suggestion is find one that is comfortable, and don't try and go cheap either.  People don't realize how important a good chair can be for your spine health.

• mastermind335mastermind335 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    k61977 said:
    I have worked in a hospital that had the Ergohuman Chair and it by far was one of the best chairs I have ever sat in.  The full mesh allows air flow so you don't sweat at all and is comfortable to boot.  The biggest downfall is these chairs cost a ton of money, with some as high as $1k, which seems to be the case of almost all full mess chairs these days.  I can find tons with mess backs but I myself have been looking for full mess and those are hard to find.  The support in these chairs is awesome, I have actually slept a couple 3rd shifts sitting in these chairs.

Ergohuman Chair

https://www.amazon.com/Ergohuman-Swivel-Chair-Headrest-Chrome/dp/B002LK1YNO/ref=sr_1_1?tag=amazon0240-20&ie=UTF8&qid=1477939853&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Ergohuman+Chair

Ergonomic gaming chair

I have also been looking at the dxracer chairs myself the only concerns i have from those is getting hot or sweating due to the covering of the chairs.

I am doing the same as you now and looking for a really good replacement chair.  My suggestion is find one that is comfortable, and don't try and go cheap either.  People don't realize how important a good chair can be for your spine health.

The DXRacer chair as most of articles say, it is just a office chair packed with some colors and extra flexibility and stylization to make it look more like a 'gaming chair', and it is expensive as hell. That is why I am not even considering the dxracer chair
    Any other suggestions here guys?
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited November 2016
    Dxracing chairs are shit.  Take a close look at them.  They have absolutely no lower back/lumbar support.  The mechanics of these chairs are cheap, the only adjustment is height.  The arm rests have no padding.  The reviews I have seen about them say the seat foam may look thick but it's so lightweight that you end up sitting on the hard base within a few minutes.  

They are like those cheap ass leather chairs you see at Office Depot.  They are all about looks and nothing good about sitting.  

If you're sitting for long periods then forget about style and go for ergonomics and comfort.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Grunty said:
    Dxracing chairs are shit.  Take a close look at them.  They have absolutely no lower back/lumbar support.  The mechanics of these chairs are cheap, the only adjustment is height.  The arm rests have no padding.  The reviews I have seen about them say the seat foam may look thick but it's so lightweight that you end up sitting on the hard base within a few minutes.  

They are like those cheap ass leather chairs you see at Office Depot.  They are all about looks and nothing good about sitting.  
    Are you talking out of user experience source or just articles?
    edited November 2016
    Grunty said:

Are you talking out of user experience source or just articles?
    https://bestgamings.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/dxracer-gaming-chair.jpg

Take a look at the back of that chair.  It's as straight as a board with no support and no cushioning.  It also has no back angle adjustment.  The seat padding where most of your weight will be resting on is thin.  Although they do have a good 'waterfall' front edge there is too much thigh support compared to the lacking butt support. 

https://bestgamings.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/red-768x585.jpg  
    This Dxracer chair is almost decent but it's ergonomics are made more for a car.  The seat angle in a car serves the purpose of preventing you from sliding off the front of the seat and because your legs are straight with your feet near the height of the seat.  In an office chair it serves no purpose and will place too much weight on your thighs because your legs are sharply angled.

In both seats the shoulder bolsters and side bolsters serve no purpose since you won't be experiencing any g-forces from the sides as you would in a car.  This also locks you into a single position.  In a car that's good.  In an office it isn't.

Edit:  If you want a good car seat for an office chair then you should be looking at the Recaro lineup.  They are actual after market car seats with good ergonomics, quality and adjustments.  They are also expensive.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    @Grunty
    Very well argumentation, I agree :) Also look what this website says:

However, a gamer must be careful in buying ridiculously expensive gaming chairs such as the DXRacer. One should analyze first the ergonomic design and not the advertisements and gimmicks of the chair. Its price doesn’t vary because of the demand. The main reason here is their design. A manufacturer cannot just put together materials for a chair and sell them to the public.

Read more: http://ppcorn.com/us/2016/11/23/gaming-chairs-for-long-term-gaming/#ixzz4R2hzXW5d

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've found some very good gaming chairs in resale shops.  The last one I bought was $35 about six years ago and just recently started falling a part.  So before I order anything I'll make the rounds at the thrift stores and see if I can get lucky again.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited November 2016
    I've found some very good gaming chairs in resale shops.  The last one I bought was $35 about six years ago and just recently started falling a part.  So before I order anything I'll make the rounds at the thrift stores and see if I can get lucky again.
    Yup. I found a DoMore office chair that retails for $1300 at Goodwill for $25.  These chairs are made for 24/7 shift work like emergency dispatch and air flight controller operations. 
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    edited November 2016
    Office chairs these days are absolute crap, and nothing more than torture devices like those pictured above. It's all about hipsters wanting to look stylish, and be able to spout phrases like "lumbar support". So manufacturers oblige them by putting an inch of foam over what amounts to a concrete block.

You want a good office chair? Get one that's as comfortable as a recliner. And that means having a spring pan seat and backrest. But good luck finding one of those at all, let alone for a reasonable price. However here's a couple close to what I'm talking about.

Concorde TwentyFour Hour Chair ($1,250) - https://www.amazon.com/Global-2424-18BK-D534-Concorde-Executive-TwentyFour/dp/B0039E1GFW

Lyndon Johnson Oval Office Chair ($2,095) https://www.historycompany.com/white-house-collection/lyndon-johnson-oval-office-chair.php

But you are a hipster? Here you go.

Post edited by Pynda on
  • redonyouredonyou Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I have had an ergohuman chair for over a year now and I'm happy to have spent the ~$650 on it that I did. Considering how much time I spend sitting down at the computer, I felt it was worth investing in a good one; just the same way I don't cheap out when it comes to buying a mattress.

I don't find myself complaining about back pain with this one, but I don't claim to be any kind of chair expert. I'm also not getting paid for this endorsement :p , so I advise doing some research and then buy whatever you think is best.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    My advice is to go to a place that sells chairs and sit in a few of them.  What YOU like and what other people like are apt to be different from each other. 

A chair is like a stereo system.  Once you pass certain price levels, they are all good, it is just preference and what you individually are looking for.
  • patric880patric880 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Hi guys. As the title says that is what I am looking for and I've followed a few guides to find the right chair. And I found out that the IKEA Marcus and Sayl by Herman Miller seemed to be the best for me, BUT i still need some advices. Also for those of you in interest I followed this guide about The Best pc gaming chairs. It is quite helpful but also a lot of expensive chairs.
    I am using Homall PC gaming chair. It's great to me for playing gaming on the computer.
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 526
    There is no "best" chair/setup...it all depends on what you need.

Do you need a chair to fit under a desk/keyboard slide out?

Or, like Kano, something cheap to make you get up often?

Just for me...the best setup is an lazyboy rocking recliner.  I have my monitor setup on a swing arm so i can move it to any position, from 1 foot away to further when i watch a movie.

I use a small lite piece of 1/4 ply wood to rest my keyboard and mouse on that rests on the arms of the recliner in my lap. Easy to slide into a place i have on my desk when i go to get up.

I use it without reclining for the most part...but when i am sitting for a while, long game session or a movie...i recline it.

Have gamed for decades...and had all types of chairs. Some under desk others not, and all price points. And none are a match to the one i use now. Just shows that you need to throw out the idea of a "gaming" chair. Think about the place you are setting up and what type of time you will be in the chair. 

Think of an idea for the area...what fits? What is the most comfortable you can make it? One thing i hate...having a chair, or one that hurts your back or butt...be a reason to squirm around and be uncomfortable. Like it or not...we spend too much time at our computers now-a-days...try to make it the best on yourself that you can.

Whatever you decide...get a chair that fits your body. When you sit the bend in your legs should fit the seat almost perfectly. Not be too long so it hits your legs and causes issues. You feet should rest comfortably on the floor. Follow those 2 simple steps and whatever chair you get will be better than a $3,000.00 one that does not fit you right. Never buy a chair on-line that you have not set in. Without an easy return policy.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited June 2019
    DMKano said:
    Wooden $25 chair from Ikea.

You want something that will make you get up and move as often as possible - because you don't want to sit for hours - it's not good for you.

So yes a wooden chair will do that - it's $25 and it is better for you than anything else that will make you stay sitting for hours.

For me - standing up is the way to go, I replaced all my desks with 100% standing desks at home and work, 4 years later, I'm still standing (yeah yeah yeah)

P.S. Don't fall for the streamer marketing bullshit of PC gaming $600+ chairs - most of it is overpriced garbage - and remember anything that enables unhealthy behavior like "long gaming hours" - is not something you want anyway.
    The thing is standing in place is just as bad if not worse than sitting in place.  Like all things moderation is key.  I think the norm is if sitting you need to get up and move around every 20mins and if standing in place you need to move around every 10 mins.

Anyone that has worked in a "shop" in a standing position in a chain type post can tell you standing in place instead of sitting in place is not really any better.

Companies should design workstations that are conducive to good health. Workstations should allow workers to choose between several working positions and to move easily between them.[19] Additionally, workers should be able to adjust the height of their workstations to fit their body size. Other helpful aspects of workstations are footrests, elbow rests, and seats so workers can sit when they need to.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Gamers sit on their asses for hours at a time. So do office workers. Your interests are aligned. Just shop at some store that sells office chairs and try a bunch of them out. 
    Asm0deus

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Bought a DxRacer King chair and as much as I love it, within the first few months the hydraulic lift thing went in it. The company would not honor their warranty even after submitting a BBB report. I fixed it at my cost and love my chair but I will never do business with DxRacer again.  
    Asm0deusCatibrie
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited June 2019
    DMKano said:
    Asm0deus said:
    DMKano said:
    Wooden $25 chair from Ikea.

You want something that will make you get up and move as often as possible - because you don't want to sit for hours - it's not good for you.

So yes a wooden chair will do that - it's $25 and it is better for you than anything else that will make you stay sitting for hours.

For me - standing up is the way to go, I replaced all my desks with 100% standing desks at home and work, 4 years later, I'm still standing (yeah yeah yeah)

P.S. Don't fall for the streamer marketing bullshit of PC gaming $600+ chairs - most of it is overpriced garbage - and remember anything that enables unhealthy behavior like "long gaming hours" - is not something you want anyway.
    The thing is standing in place is just as bad if not worse than sitting in place.  Like all things moderation is key.  I think the norm is if sitting you need to get up and move around every 20mins and if standing in place you need to move around every 10 mins.

Anyone that has worked in a "shop" in a standing position in a chain type post can tell you standing in place instead of sitting in place is not really any better.

Companies should design workstations that are conducive to good health. Workstations should allow workers to choose between several working positions and to move easily between them.[19] Additionally, workers should be able to adjust the height of their workstations to fit their body size. Other helpful aspects of workstations are footrests, elbow rests, and seats so workers can sit when they need to.

Works for me - also my workplace has converted all desks to standing desks (as an option).

I prefer to stand 100% of the time, my coworkers alternate from standing to sitting throughout the day.

Whatever works for you.

Also when I stand I constantly move around so my feet are not stationary ever for 10 minutes straight. 

But again it's what works for me.

Here's a question for you - what % of gamers get up over 20min out of their chair?

Heck what % of office workers get up every 20min out of their chairs?

Yeah it's a problem because the chairs are too comfortable. 
    Here's a question for you. 

Do you really think suggesting a wooden chair to someone that made a thread about wanting advice on a comfy chair for prolonged gaming periods will care about that?

Also do you really think simply shifting your feet about while standing is doing anything more than say moving your feet around or flexing your legs while sitting.

I dare say it doesn't.

Like I said all things in moderation and this standing desk thing is a  health fad like any other where common sense needs to be applied.

As for what works for each of us individually welp it all works until we develop the associated problems that go along with our chosen health fad.  ;)

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Still the Lazyboy Recliner,  even after you inevitably drift off to sleep the armrests keep your gaming laptop firmly in place.

;)
    Asm0deusSandmanjw

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    The best chair is the one that you can use without feeling the need to bump threads that died more than two years ago.
    DanbaccaRidelynn
  • pollard5pollard5 Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    I would say standing desk than a chair as sitting for long hours can be worse. I personally use a standing desk converter which is best for my needs.