Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Favorite Pre-WoW MMO?

Comments

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    City of Heroes.  Didn't care much for MMOs before playing it. Haven't found anything as excellent since.  Stayed subbed for six years.  The player base was just great.
    Blaze_Rocker

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    DAoC and it's still good these days

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Lol, i have to wonder if many in this thread actually read the title or don't understand what  'pre wow' means. 
    Except for 1 person mentioning LOTRO where are the "many" who listed a post WOW title?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited November 2016
    I wish I could have picked both Everquest and City of Heroes. Everquest ,it had everything that I loved in an MMORPG the people,the systems, the fear ,the triumph and the fun.
    Chamber of Chains
  • plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397
    EQ2. i know it was out only a few months before WOW but that still makes it pre - WOW

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• nondogg13nondogg13 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited November 2016
    L2 swg was cool but running around overt hoping someone would flag or except your duel request made for mediocre pvp most the time with the exception of large battles. in lineage 2 you could lock down hunting grounds from your enemies, interupt personal events going on in castles(even though i hated nfc funny shit), it even was the kind of game that made you want to farm up alts just to run and find your enemies then switch and gank them.
  • DeviDemonDeviDemon Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Asheron's Call and DAoC are tied for me. Had such good times in both.
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    edited November 2016
    I voted for City of Heroes, but it was a narrow battle between it and Asheron's Call for me.. :)

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    gervaise1 said:
    Tough but CoH got so much right; sad memory standing the square on the day that WoW launched with people wondering where "everyone" was. 

In don't really think of CoH (and L1) as "pre-WoW" but rather as contemporary. I tend to pigeon hole things into:
    • "originals" - e.g. UO, EQ, AC, AO; 
    • then "second wave" - e.g. DAoC, SWG, Shadowbane and then 
    • beyond 2004 - CoH, L1, WoW, GW1 etc. 
    Probably needs a new era now with the launch of the likes of Destiny, The Division, maybe even TESO - megaserver games which - as a result - are "different" to what went before, especially if they are b2p. Both facilitate a "drop in and play whenever with someone" dynamic rather than a "log in every day and play with the same group of people". (You can of course play with the same people 

I consider Coh pre-wow because it release before wow.  That is pre enough for me.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Damn hard choice to be honest. I'd roughly slap 3-4 together as nearly equal choices if simple because some simply offered such a unique experience and variety that 1 of those couldn't offer alone.

You stay sassy!

Tamanous said:
    Damn hard choice to be honest. I'd roughly slap 3-4 together as nearly equal choices if simple because some simply offered such a unique experience and variety that 1 of those couldn't offer alone.

I wish we could have had 3 or 4 votes just to see what the results would be.  I would have added DAOC and EQ.

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    For me a 3-way tie between DAoC, SWG and UO.

Tsiya said:
    For me a 3-way tie between DAoC, SWG and UO.

The good kind of 3-way.

And now for something completely different.

• BarbieBoyBarbieBoy Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I can not believe you did not include Ultima Online. That was the first "massively" multiplayer online "role-playing" game.

Lineage 1 is the first "massively" multiplayer online "PK/PvP/Castle Siege" game.

You don't even have Meridian59 there, the first multiplayer online "role-playing" game (not massively).
  • RPGenieRPGenie Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I only played CoH and The Sims Online before WoW. TSO was my absolute favorite MMO and where I met the person who introduced me to WoW when it released. I really miss TSO :(

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Iselin said:
    Albion forever!

Yes Mid is forever. Oh wait you said Alb, oh well some people need to play in the other realms so we Mids will kick your ass.
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    I like far too many of those.  Can I just say EverStarBane?

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Ultima Online forever!  It's the one game that everything since has fallen short, imo.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    SWG even with its flaws. Here's to coming into the cantina after a hard work week and seeing my favorite entertainers already making the place fun. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Neocron
  • lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162
    DAOC without competition for me. I just wish they didn't add expansions because that is when the game started to have gamebreaking balance problems with some classes and items. Even though I liked the expansions besides that.
  • RhomsRhoms Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Other - Ultima Online, although Eve Online would be a close second.

Current game: Pillars of Eternity

Played: UO, AC, Eve, Fallen Earth, Aion, GW, GW2 

Tried: WOW, Rift, SWTOR, ESO 

Future: Camelot Unchained?  Crowfall?  Bless?

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Ultima Online
  • ann4ann4 Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Got to be Everquest here  <3
    Hiya!  Would you date a gamer girl? Look at the page I made. Hope you like!  <3 
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    To this day I've yet to find another playing experience as rewarding. Back on 99 ;)

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file