Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is World of Warcraft prove that non-realistic graphics are better?

2»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited November 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kaneth said:
    Stylized graphics are most definitely the way to go since they tend to maintain their look for longer periods of time.....
    'sylized graphics' maintain their look for longer periods of time then realistic graphics.
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    do we understand the meaning of 'stylized' when it comes into context of periods of time?
    Yes, Borderlands will still look good ten years from now because it's a highly stylized, comic book'ish, cartoon style.  It's meant to look one specific way.  One specific... style, if you will.  The graphics will never degrade or get old because those graphics are locked into a specific look which the game was designed around.
    facepalm

'style' is very often tied to an era. mid century modern for example, realism is well....real. realistic graphics are more timeless then 'style' which almost by definition is not timeless.

What is interesting about 'style' is that very often you can pinpoint a time its created in. like old Disney animation being a reflection of the art style of the time vs todays

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    This is just the issue of not being able to surpass the issue of Uncanny Valley yet, and as consequence stylized graphics remains advantageous since it tends to not look dated as quickly, can be toned town with it's technical demands, and can take advantage of artistic interpretation and exaggeration in a manner a wholly "realism" driven graphic design can't.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I'm all for cartoon graphics.  Just not a fan of modern WoW game play.

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    I take it that the OP doesn't have very good grammar.  The title would make more sense if they had replaced either the "Is"  with "Does" or  replace the "prove" with "proof".  For me it's what works as far as graphics/style goes.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    WOW was a success because it came at the right time with a style of MMO that was more accessible to the masses. Their art style was dictated by their already very popular RTS franchise that preceded it.

That this type of art ages better than more photorealistic styles that are heavily dependent on the commonly used hardware of the day is just a fortunate coincidence.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106
    What most people do not realize is that Art > Graphics when it comes to gaming. This is why games like WoW, Mario Galaxy, LoZ: Windwaker, etc.. stand the test of time. As someone stated in here earlier, the more realistic the graphics the more the flaws stand out. If you build a game on a great art style; well then that will be a timeless piece of work. This is not to say that all 'realistic' game can't have a great art style but that is why game like EQ2, Vanguard, AoC all look/feel so dated is because technology has grown so much in the last couple of years. This will also be the case for whatever 'realistic' game will come out today versus five years from now.

Personally I never buy a game based off of visuals. Gameplay has always been first, but a strong art design does really help a game become timeless.
    /played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Stylized graphics avoid the uncanny valley that realistic graphics have to fight tooth and nail. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    SEANMCAD said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kaneth said:
    Stylized graphics are most definitely the way to go since they tend to maintain their look for longer periods of time.....
    'sylized graphics' maintain their look for longer periods of time then realistic graphics.
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    do we understand the meaning of 'stylized' when it comes into context of periods of time?
    Yes, Borderlands will still look good ten years from now because it's a highly stylized, comic book'ish, cartoon style.  It's meant to look one specific way.  One specific... style, if you will.  The graphics will never degrade or get old because those graphics are locked into a specific look which the game was designed around.
    facepalm

'style' is very often tied to an era. mid century modern for example, realism is well....real. realistic graphics are more timeless then 'style' which almost by definition is not timeless.

What is interesting about 'style' is that very often you can pinpoint a time its created in. like old Disney animation being a reflection of the art style of the time vs todays
    NO! Just NO! WTF?  NO!
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯