Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think i don't enjoy gaming anymore.

TzavokTzavok Member UncommonPosts: 52
I'm in a really depressing gaming period of my life (GAMING, not real life depression), i've tried way too many games, PC, Consoles and Android, in the last 2 years i've tried over 2 or 3k games, at most i've "enjoyed" 3 or 4, for a couple of hours.

I don't know what to think, shit just isn't fun anymore, i can't remember the amount of times i have installed a game, launch it, get asked to do the same shit i've done a million times and just uninstall it right away, even worse when i'm fucking handheld for an hour into the game, just so i don't get lost in the fucking tutorial.

All games seem the same to me now and the story most of the times sucks, games now worry more about graphics instead of gameplay and lore.

I don't think i don't like games tho, i mean, i have played games since i was 5, i'm 23 now and i still think about games in a daily basis, i do play League of Legends with friends, which isn't a game i love but it's fun enough when i play it with friends, i wouldn't play it alone tho.

Is it my fault? is it the business' fault? have i played for far too long that nothing is interesting anymore?

I've been thinking that maybe, when new tech is developed, some VR or AR game may make me feel that same thing that i felt when i was a little kid, in a lil stool, because i was too short for the controls in these big Arcade Machines.

Your thoughts? do you feel the same or similar?

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    In a book I was looked at there was a bit about having a more full life.  If you have one thing in your life and you lose it, you will be depressed and go through what you are going through. Plus there is a good chance you will be obsessed with that one thing. 

Now imagine if you had twenty things in your life and you lose one of them.  Sure you would be sad about that one thing but you have so much more going on.  I recommend not putting gaming as the only thing in your basket of life.  Take a long bread from gaming.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TzavokTzavok Member UncommonPosts: 52
    edited November 2016
    waynejr2 said:
    In a book I was looked at there was a bit about having a more full life.  If you have one thing in your life and you lose it, you will be depressed and go through what you are going through. Plus there is a good chance you will be obsessed with that one thing. 

Now imagine if you had twenty things in your life and you lose one of them.  Sure you would be sad about that one thing but you have so much more going on.  I recommend not putting gaming as the only thing in your basket of life.  Take a long bread from gaming.

That's why i said Gaming depression, because i don't have real depression haha, it was just a way to say it, i have a daughter, my girlfriend, a job, social life, which make me really happy, this is more about my hobby not being interesting anymore, i am (was?) really passionate about gaming, it was that thing i was really good at and i enjoyed a lot, but now i can't seem to enjoy it anymore and i don't know why.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited November 2016
    I would say it is a bit of both. Gaming is a little bit stagnant right now however you are extremely experienced so it will take a hell of a lot more to get a game that doesn't give the been there done that feeling.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Tzavok said:
    waynejr2 said:

That's why i said Gaming depression, because i don't have real depression haha, it was just a way to say it, i have a daughter, my girlfriend, a job, social life, etc, but i am (was?) really passionate about gaming, it was that thing i was really good at and i enjoyed a lot, but no i can't seem to enjoy it anymore and i don't know why.
    Well then I guess you know what the F you are doing.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

I would say it is a bit of both. Gamine is a little bit stagnant right now however you are extremely experienced so it will take a hell of a lot more to get a game that doesn't give the been there done that feeling.
    Now that you say that, i've been thinking that i would love to feel like a noob again, but i mean a real noob, in a game where all my gaming experience wouldn't mean shit. It's weird when you install a brand new game and it's been what, 10 minutes into the game and you already know how to play it, it sucks.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Here this might help out, join a military branch. Real Life matters
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    edited November 2016
    Elsabolts said:
    Here this might help out, join a military branch. Real Life matters
    Well, yeah, i don't think i have what it takes for such thing tho and i already have a family that needs me, but i do get what you mean, maybe it's time to quit Gaming entirely, or almost.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Sounds like you need a break. Try some other type of gaming, like pen and paper roleplaying, boardgames, miniature games, paintball, airsoft or something. 
    edited November 2016
    DMKano said:
    Question to OP - is gaming the only thing in your life that feels like it has lost its fun?

Or are there other things that seem like they lost their luster outside of gaming as well?

I don't know, i think that Gaming in general is the only thing that has become so boring lately, there have been a few interesting games that were fun, but they were completely out of the box, like Pokemon Go for example, even tho it's not exactly a game, it was fun for a couple of months, because i had never experienced a game like that.

But aside from that, i still enjoy pretty much everything else i do, like shows, anime, reading and social interaction with my family and friends, not even my job has become boring (lol), so yeah, i would say Gaming in general is the only thing that i can think has become so boring lately.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    MMOs definitely feel that way.  Spawning in after some stupid story, walking to the guy with the question mark on his head, killing the 10 rats for some bogus reason... It's pretty old.

Have you tried Overwatch?  Free to play and try this weekend if you haven't.  
    Loke666 said:
    Sounds like you need a break. Try some other type of gaming, like pen and paper roleplaying, boardgames, miniature games, paintball, airsoft or something. 

Now that you mention Airsoft, i was invited to an Airsoft Event last year and i had a blast, i was able to participate in a 5v5 match and it was amazing!

Thanks for reminding me of that, i may start saving for some gear for it.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Gaming should be an activity or hobby, not your life.  I used to play video games non-stop, but now i'm doing other activities and hobbies instead.  Just take a break and try other things.  There's so many other things to do in life besides gaming.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Go buy some X-Wing miniatures and find a hobby store to play at.  It's my second passion right now, and a lot of fun for not too much money.

The same thing happens to me from time to time, and I find that spreading my hobbies around helps.  When I'm tired of gaming like I was for the past two weeks, then I do something else.  I painted a squad of Imperial Gaurdsmen, two Valkryies and three Sentinels during the past two weeks and played a few games of 40k ans X-wing at my local hobby store.

Then, after my gaming funk was over, I stared playing Xcom Enemy Within with the Long War mod... and holy shit is it challenging.  I lost my first two games within a couple of days.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    OP your sentiment is common, particularly among the MMO gamer crowd. Those of us not entertained by the mainstream offerings in mmos as well as other genres, are just going to have to wait until some indie titles crop up and revitalize the industry. This isn't the first time gaming has become overrun by corporate philosophy and left us with uninspired games which only attempt to emulate rather than innovate.

If I've said it once, I've said it 100 times here: once some of these smaller studios create a popular game and demonstrate that there are still millions of people interested in MMOs that were previously unaccounted for, it will stimulate growth and draw publishers back to the industry.

edited November 2016
    H0urg1ass said:
    Go buy some X-Wing miniatures and find a hobby store to play at.  It's my second passion right now, and a lot of fun for not too much money.

The same thing happens to me from time to time, and I find that spreading my hobbies around helps.  When I'm tired of gaming like I was for the past two weeks, then I do something else.  I painted a squad of Imperial Gaurdsmen, two Valkryies and three Sentinels during the past two weeks and played a few games of 40k ans X-wing at my local hobby store.

Then, after my gaming funk was over, I stared playing Xcom Enemy Within with the Long War mod... and holy shit is it challenging.  I lost my first two games within a couple of days.
    I am a really active TCG player, a couple of friends and i, gather every weekend, grab some beers and play for hours, nonstop, and i love reading too, i have plenty to do outside of gaming, but it sucks when the hobby you're the most passionate about, suddenly becomes boring, you know?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited November 2016
    A break from gaming or reducing it's overall impact in your life sounds like a good thing but changing up the type of games you play does also. Try some obscure MMOs. Browse the steam catalog and get something that looks completely new and different. If graphics aren't a big deal then delve into some indy games. Maybe go a bit out of your comfort zone. Like if you've always despised on consensual PvP go to a PvP game, join a newb-friendly PvP guild, fight alongside them for a couple weeks and see if it changes your perspective. Or just try a genre of game you've never tried before or something you're not sure you would like. For instance I never had an interest in Deus Ex or any "stealthy" games until my fiance played Human Revolution and it actually looked fun. Then I actually played through on a stealthy character and loved it.

It's like when I think I have watched everything good on Netflix I try some of those shows I wasn't so sure about. Things a bit outside my usual genres. Some have ended up being better than shows I thought looked great.

There are A LOT of games out there and I promise you haven't tried them all. Sometimes you need to order the weirdest looking thing on the menu to discover how much you love it though.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2016
    I think everyone kind of is missing the mark and instead should be asking what you used to find interesting about games in the first place, such as what kind of settings, which games used to be the most fun, what completely puts you off in current games, etc.

Its just like how you hear many people talk about missing SWG, Vanilla/BC WoW, old FFXI, etc. There are games in development trying to aim towards those audiences but those styles of gameplay are niche so it will be amusing to see how titles like Pantheon and such will fair in today's market longevity wise.

But I will agree with you OP that games do go overboard in terms of graphical fidelity at the cost of not just gameplay but also overall character growth and development. Sure I have personal things that I might not be able to compromise on such as needing WASD movement and I'm more drawn to third-person titles, but graphics is kind of lower on my list. Heck, I still think FFXI looks good for its age on pc given that its like 15 years old or so.
    Albatroes said:
    I think everyone kind of is missing the mark and instead should be asking what you used to find interesting about games in the first place, such as what kind of settings, which games used to be the most fun, what completely puts you off in current games, etc.
    I've played plenty of gneres, FPS, Arcade, MMOs, Mobas, RTS, Brawl, Strategy (ala Final Fantasy Tactics), Racing, new and classic RPGs, Fighting games, Stealth, Horror, and plenty of others i can't remember.

The onest i enjoy the most are MMOs, RTS, Strategy and Stealth, i love a good story too, i don't care much about Graphics, gameplay and lore are the most important aspect of a game for me.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    OP, maybe it would help you if you take a break from gaming. You can also put your regular games aside for a while and play some family/casual or board games with your girlfriend and your daughter if she's old enough. Feeling burnt out of gaming sucks, but it is real.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    observer said:
    Gaming should be an activity or hobby, not your life. 
    Ding ding ding ding ding!!! WE have a winner.

• Andel_SkaarAndel_Skaar Member UncommonPosts: 401
    I was oppressed by the time toll gaming took from my real life, and burnout from games as well, i didnt really have time for a full-dive like i had in my past, so i jumped from one title onto another holding onto them, well not for hours, but weeks, and always next. Mostly MMO's and Mobas

After a while i realised i just have way too many things to attend in my real life, and i damn very well did, took a break for like a year, and when i came back ,it wasnt the same, few single-player titles i knew were good i installed, and had patience for the first few hours of gameplay, only to be pulled in by the story.
    It reseted, the endurance, and will i held for gaming were restored, i dabbled with single-player games combined with mobas for a time, and than i returned to mmorpg, playing Tera Online casually i had a great time and when i archieved what i wanted i went onto the next game, i wasnt forcing it, just installed what i felt like, if i didnt like any aspect of the game i went on untill i found what i was looking for, and it was Path Of Exile, oh damn was that great again, now maybe thinking Archeage, who knows.

Hope you discover what your instincts pull you to and stick to it :)
    Break from burnout, or another game, or whatever you choose

Good luck :)

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I think we have just run through all of the formulas available.  Take a long break and then pick one game to play until you finish it.  That helps.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• hyuteihyutei Member UncommonPosts: 52
    edited November 2016
    in the past games were simpler but fun and competitive,ive had ton of fun,played games with friends,there were games that i wouldve played for years cos they were well made,but now,no game lasts for more then a week,im sick of them all,cant go back to the old games that were once good,cos they are simply too old,and i kinda cant handle playing old shit,even tho back then they were good,im kinda a graphic freak,but yeah,games these days are garbage,and those that do have potential get destroyed by pay2win or bad publishers that dont give good content,idk,im also 23 years old ,anyways im starting to feel kinda old for this shit,either way,currently i think that the only way that games will go back to its prime is maybe with VR,but a better one then the currently out one,and if that fks up,yeah,gaming is doomed,cos games are starting to be more and more cliche
  • hyuteihyutei Member UncommonPosts: 52
    also,i do play some Overwatch,but idk,its just not what it used to be,i play it only cos i srsly dont know anything else more interesting then Overwatch that i could play on PC atm,but if i did have something better,id delete it instantly,cos im already sick of it