Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Nov 18 Letter From the Chairman - Asking for more money

2»

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,254
    goobsnews said:
    They're down to 377 employees now? Didn't they reportedly have 600 at one point?
    THEY (meaning CIG) never reported to have 600 at any point.

Some well known trolls prone to extreme exaggeration where talking about 500, then 600. The same people that call it a game "6 years in development".

CIG has given definite numbers of employees per year on numerous occasions (e.g. GamesCom 2016).
    It started with a team of half a dozen and is now at 377 people in 4 studios. It started to go over 250 only in 2015/2016 and was well below that in 2012-2014.

Have fun

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706
    This kinda has the smell of no man's sky about it... it's being all hyped up to be this super awesome god game but I have a feeling it's gonna be pretty far off the mark when it's finally released(if ever). Not saying it's going to be quite as featureless as nms about stuff that was lied about although I guess it is possible.

Anyways. I haven't "invested" in crowd funding for anything yet and don't really plan to for this either. At least no man's sky didn't ask for next to free money before they had a finished product... if you can call the released game finished lol.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Show me a person who would refuse money when offered... and i will show you a true fool

This have been a good conversation

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 41,538
    Well he admits the goal posts have changed over the years, and there have been unexpected challenges and schedule delays which naturally has burned much of the money collected so far.

Not to mention several references to the  large,  top quality staff which translates to large, well paid staff which explains where the money is going.

What isn't clear is have they stopped moving the goal posts (I think so), overcome their known technical challenges (no idea), how much money do they need to raise to complete the MVP for both SQ42 and the larger game? (a very big question)

Two most pressing questions for me, first  projected dates for either title to release, which it's clear they won't share because they appear to not be very good planners even after many years experience and having a "top production" team.

Second, if the financial faucet from additional ship sales slows down or dries up completely, does it mean the end of the game, with everything lost much as what happened to Curt Schillings studio?

Or can they pull a "Vanguard" and shove something out the door, maybe SQ 42 to try and generate some revenue?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,254
    Kyleran said:

Or can they pull a "Vanguard" and shove something out the door, maybe SQ 42 to try and generate some revenue?
    Or

a) get a bank loan

b) get a big publisher bail out  (would be ironic)

c) do another round of voluntary crowdfunding

d) get an outside investor on board

e) use (voluntary) subscriber money for game development instead of additional v-blogs

etc.

Have fun
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I wish I had the financial genius to start a company and receive $130 mil for product that doesn't exist.

This is going to be a huge industry lesson, one way or another.

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    If I'd managed to suck up 130 million bucks, over 5 or 6 years, and still had no clear date for a product to hit retail, id ask for more too. As has been proven, these mugs will just keep on paying. 
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    65 million dollars of improvements to a 65 million dollar game... LOL

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Is it just me or does it seems like they may be in trouble ? LHU 2017
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,607
    edited November 2016
    So he went from releasing a "minimal viable product' to blowing smoke up people's asses again?

You really cant make this stuff up. But I suspect they do need more money JUST to get to something minimal, thats the sad part. Well maybe not sad if you look at it all objectively.

[mod edit]
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,001
    Been reading these "preachers of doom" for years now!

2014 : "This is the year that will make or break CIG, they need to get something out quick!"

2015: "They are out of funds, I give them 90 days top before it all goes down collapsing 100% guaranteed!"

2016: "This is it, CIG is finished and utterly and completely doomed"!

Might as well and bring the French Fries B)
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,607
    Babuinix said:
    Been reading these "preachers of doom" for years now!

2014 : "This is the year that will make or break CIG, they need to get something out quick!"

2015: "They are out of funds, I give them 90 days top before it all goes down collapsing 100% guaranteed!"

2016: "This is it, CIG is finished and utterly and completely doomed"!

Might as well and bring the French Fries B)
    No one could have foreseen the money coming in as long as it has (allegedly) There isnt a person alive who thought this game would 'raise' 200 million, which is where it is heading, especially if they keep not releasing it. This game has made more money before it had anything playable than 95% of the MMOs ever released.

they were selling jpegs of artwork of stuff they didnt even know they could ever make. Some of them re still jpegs (and still being sold) Best business model ever.

People are now of the opinion its too big to fail. but thats BS too. The money is the key they will probably raise enough, like I said, to put something out that they can win a lawsuit with. But if they dont then it will definitely be a bad day for Cr and all his cronies because the amount of money they have collected (and keep collecting) is just too big for people to ignore if they dont release a lot more than they already have.