Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

That old D&D feeling...

I can remember the old days, when we used to sit around a table and play Dungeons & Dragons. I don't think any MMORPG can ever create that atmosphere I experienced with that game.

However, do you think any of the MMORPGs of today have something even close to that?

Comments

• FalcanFalcan Member Posts: 36
    I would say Neverwinter Nights but i dont think that would pass as a MMORPG.  I have not played any of the others to much and dont think they could give the same feeling.

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

wow, eq has 100% of votes, heheh

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

im surprised daoc doesnt have any and uo does... oh well, yea eq has the right setting and stuff, play-wise its nothing like d&d though.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• psibotpsibot Member Posts: 254

Umm well to tell the truth I am happy if an MMORPG has doors that dont need and Quest key or can be opened by a skill or attack.

So to anwser your question clear: MMORPG don't come anywhere near to Pen and Paper RPGs. As for me MMORPG don't even play in the same league maybe that will change but thats atleast 15-20 years away.

---
    Light laughter and sweet water to you fellow adventures.

dubblepost...

---

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Neverwinters night is not a MMORPG and he asked for a MMORPG.

If it is a D & D feeling you want then everquest

NO i repeat NO other MMORPG has even come close to duplicating the EQ feeling when it comes to D&D setting.

I am greatly suprised too that UO actually got voted for .

All i can say is either it was the usual anti EQ protest votes or from people that have not played EQ(and  1 day play does not count).

I know EQ had LOADS wrong with it(heck i myself  quit a long time ago for multiple reason) but it is hard to argue that it has the best feeling/setting when it comes to D&D.

Oh between runescape got a vote LOL.Probably just a vote to annoy murti as we all know how he hates that gameimage

Though not anywhere near pefect but it is miles ahead in that aspect to the other MMORPG.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263
    I still think UO is most like D&D.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?
    what do you EXATCLY do in D&D? ive heard its like a board game.....image

• lyonman24lyonman24 Member Posts: 855
    in my opinion the closest a mmo will ever get to d&d is when we can finally jack into the net and emerse ourselves but that might be overboard lolimageimage

.....u mean like .Hack//sign?

D&D is a pen and paper roleplaying game...  you roll dice,  have a GM (Game Master who makes things up,  or reads a quest from a book, etc),  and tons of friends,  and your imagination.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

isnt the guy who made d&d, gary gygax i think is his name, making an mmorpg? i believe the name is lejendary adventure, yes for some reason with a "j".

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

I thought that game got canned a while ago...  ??

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

seriously? damn, i was hoping that would be my gateway to d&d. ive never been able to get into d&d rpgs, except i had lots of fun with the lionheart demo.

- Unknown Author

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

I thought lejendary adventures was still going on? And non MMRPG for D&D, Baldurs Gate II, as for MMRPG.....Maybe AC1, all I know is I hated EQ and its redundancy, boredom, and slow pace.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

Originally posted by SatansDisciple

isnt the guy who made d&d, gary gygax i think is his name, making an mmorpg? i believe the name is lejendary adventure, yes for some reason with a "j".

Yup the Guy is called Gary Gygax and I have grate hopes for Lejendary Adventure Online(LAO). Aside the graphics looking awesome sorta autum realistic the screen shots show a lots of doors and alike. You prolly asking your self if I am an nuty doors fetishist hehe. Well no but frequent doors tell one volumes of how the MMORPG is approached. Short I think it will have the nearest PnP RPG feel yet.

Originally posted by Djin
    I thought that game got canned a while ago...  ??

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

hehe I see how you can start to think this Djin since their site was last updated 14.11.2002 but matter od factly they was short reashuring post in their forum you can verify this here http://di.gamepoint.net/lejendary/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=936 but i'll copy paste it here for people who believe me without prove.

Timo - Dreams Interactive quote(03-Sept-2003 08:15 PM):

It seems that some people are starting to doubt if there is anything happening behind the curtains - and I don't blame you since we've been vary lazy with the web page
    But since I happened to make a promise to show something I posted this screenshot from the ECTS demo of LA Online.

--- edited to add last post date of quote

---

Sounds awesome!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    E.T. is alive...
    MMORPG.com - Gramp Staff

What will he do next?

Just had a look at LAO and looks prety nice I must say.

Graphics is pretty descent too ,not highest quality but heck i am tired of turning options down to stop lag hell.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Lets hope D&D online (announced already) can live up to the expectations of old D&Der's like myself.

Originally posted by Flem
    Lets hope D&D online (announced already) can live up to the expectations of old D&Der's like myself.

I am a great PnP D&D FAN but did you see what Turbine did with AC2?

Having no storage in ac1 was an bad mistake they learn it  but they did exactly the same in ac2 there was much more in that line and worse I realy felt framed by turbine in many ways. They don't seem gooda t learning out of error and I realy hope AC2 failure shock them awake.

So while I am realy hoping D&D Online (DDO) will be great success but I am absolutely not counting on it and will be greatly positively surprised when they do succeed producing a good game.

But  Turbine will have to prove to me their product is good. Meaning I won't be playing it without an trial period and since i like playing from the release date they have only about a 1.5 month window to get me in after release.

---

Never been a turbine fan myself.

I tried AC1 in 2000 just after quitting UO and found it very boring.

I ran hours to find another player .

I went to towns that were like ghost towns(makes me wonder why people complain about empty towns in AC2 since AC1 was just the same with some few vendors in settlements they called cities).

Basically I got bored fast.

I picked up AC2 because I heard it was nothing like AC1 and again I got bored fast.

It was nothing like AC1 and to me I kind of preferred it but it took me less then 2 months to get bored of it(2 weeks for AC1).

So I really don't rate turbine very high myself even if they do have microsoft money to spent.

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

"Never been a turbine fan myself.
    I tried AC1 in 2000 just after quitting UO and found it very boring.
    I ran hours to find another player .
    I went to towns that were like ghost towns(makes me wonder why people complain about empty towns in AC2 since AC1 was just the same with some few vendors in settlements they called cities).
    Basically I got bored fast.
    I picked up AC2 because I heard it was nothing like AC1 and again I got bored fast.
    It was nothing like AC1 and to me I kind of preferred it but it took me less then 2 months to get bored of it(2 weeks for AC1).
    So I really don't rate turbine very high myself even if they do have microsoft money to spent."

Thats why AC1 gets a bad rap, people like you, you dont give it much of a chance to get into it. But, imo, i wouldnt of played the carebear servers long. Darktide had alot more politics going on, and guild wars, to really keep people hooked. And the game had a innovative combat system, that helped the lower levels beat the ebayer or powerlevels, if they were smart, or vets enough. It had a ton of content, even for newbies. Lots of monsters, big land mass, etc.

AC2 was just horrid though, it failed miserably. As for D&D online, i use to hink, hey, now a game like baldurs gate II, or neverwinter nights online, or based around it MMRPG, now thatd rock, Dungeons & Dragons online. Then I heard of it, and I think, man, thats awesome. I also heard of middle earth online and thought how great that'd be as well.

Concept is great, but turbine are idiots, they dont want to stick to the spirit of what middle earth, and dunegones & dragons are, but prefer to make it their own way. They are butchering it so bad, there will be nothing left, they're takeing an awesome concept, and are going postal, wanting to make it their own way.

Reminds me of Peter Jackson and LoTR movies, good movies, but just wasnt lord of the rings. Probably what these games will be, except instead, they wont even be good.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    I liked AC1, it was my first mmorpg and i have very fond memories of my lvl 40 Blademaster (and monarch.)

• SilveradoSilverado Member Posts: 41

From what I have been hearing about Horizons -- the entire PvE thing -- I think it might be the most like the kind of campaigns I used to run in the old school ADD games I used to run. I really would never allow one character to assasinate another and it was all about my quradrille pads and my hex dice and my imagination. It was all PvE, IMHO, so I put my vote with Horizons for when it comes out. And since its not a "Brand Name" I think that based on what I see in other BBSs, it might have to succeed based on the power of its play.

• nalanala Member Posts: 173

You like D and D???

Have you tried out Temple of Elemental Evil yet?????  Its then new D and D with the greyhawk module and it follows the pen and paper rules pretty well.