Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I might be getting too old for MMO's

TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
Is it because I am getting old or do the tutorials in this game blow chunks? 
It seems like I am spending more time on youtube trying to figure out things than I am spending in playing the game.  For example, I got a 'tutorial" quest to buy a house with the refinery option.  I did it, went back and turned it in and then NOTHING!  What the frick was I supposed to do with it?  It would have been nice if the guy you turned that quest into then gave you another quest with instructions on how to use it.

Luckily I am still in the honeymoon phase and learning about things is half the fun but I have never felt so old and out of my element, as I have playing this game.  It seems like every 10 minutes I am alt-tabbing to youtube to figure something out.
"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Good thing you never played FFXI back in the day. You'd be searching for info non-stop back then. Since I played that game for so long, I just got used to looking up stuff online if I ever felt lost/confused instead of asking around in any new game I try.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    The tutorials (if any) in this game are not good so just go to you tube.

Sadly, some of the youtube tutorials ramble (drives me nuts) but there is some good info out there.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I also found that I had to use Youtube a lot when starting Black Desert. And like @Sovrath said, often the video rambled on and on, forcing me to fast forward forever to find the info I was looking for. Then again, I probably am too old now for mmos as well.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited November 2016
    I always enjoy a solid learning curve, as long as things make sense.
    Having to search stuff on the internet because the devs did a lazy job stringing stuff together is a no go.

I think vanilla WoW had it just right.. so many things to discover back then, but everything was rather encouraging instead of being frustrating like i.e. EVE was for me as a newbie. Everything i did or learned was never enough for anything, as something else was always required or missing. Never been so strung along for nothing like i was in EVE.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    I also found that I had to use Youtube a lot when starting Black Desert. And like @Sovrath said, often the video rambled on and on, forcing me to fast forward forever to find the info I was looking for. Then again, I probably am too old now for mmos as well.
    Yes, nothing beats skimming through a bloated 15min video of a slow guy when you are stressed out already and just looking for a quick hint that clip was supposed to give :)

• eyesadieyesadi Member UncommonPosts: 56
    As to getting nothing......Trust me......you got something!  As an older gamer myself (and LOVING this game) I was and sometimes still am.....totally confused as well!  The problem is quest rewards in BDO are unlike any other MMO.  Usually, you do not get adventure xp, but rather various other forms of XP.  Like gathering, cooking, or a whole lot of other things!  Making it even more confusing is youll see icons that lead you to believe your getting a physical item.......try this......when you next are completing a quest, mouse over the rewards before you turn it in.  You'll see exactly what the reward will be!
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Talonsin said:
    Is it because I am getting old or do the tutorials in this game blow chunks? 
    It seems like I am spending more time on youtube trying to figure out things than I am spending in playing the game.  For example, I got a 'tutorial" quest to buy a house with the refinery option.  I did it, went back and turned it in and then NOTHING!  What the frick was I supposed to do with it?  It would have been nice if the guy you turned that quest into then gave you another quest with instructions on how to use it.

Luckily I am still in the honeymoon phase and learning about things is half the fun but I have never felt so old and out of my element, as I have playing this game.  It seems like every 10 minutes I am alt-tabbing to youtube to figure something out.
    I can't say I ever had to look a tutorial video. The game is rather complex I suppose, but nothing close to say a game like Distant worlds. The only thing I had to ask for help for, was taming horses. I assumed you had to keep hitting space bar, but you only do it when it makes a noise. I wouldn't say it is because you are old. I would say it is because the game doesn't really tell you what your suppose to be doing. So if you are approaching the game with the idea that its gonna tell you how to play it, then you would be lost. It is a game to do what ever you want in. The other thing it sounds like your having a problem with, is it is not quest hub to the next quest hub, like most MMOs. The quests are all over, and i find them all the time the ones i missed, and went back to a town for trading or something else. 

I haven't been on the quest your talking about, but it was just showing you how to use the buildings. After you know the basic which you do know, you can interface with all the buildings, and its pretty self explanatory what to do with buildings. 
  • hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    edited November 2016
    Yeah this game never explains things well. But it's worth it, it's a good game.

I just hate the quest rewards (or lack of them) and variety of equipment in the game.
  • BarbieBoyBarbieBoy Member UncommonPosts: 85
    Don't worry Talonsin, you are not alone. But like they say once a gamer always a gamer. If you fell in deep slumber and just woke up and find that the gaming world is not the way it used to be, don't be sad because a gamer will always find his way. Cheers mate!!!
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    the two worst tutorials are BDO and EVE, yes we can look everything  up on tube but than you have to transfer that knowledge to the game which is not so easy to do and it kills immersion. I had the same prob as Talonson and also prob figuring out the nodes 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    eddieg50 said:
    the two worst tutorials are BDO and EVE, yes we can look everything  up on tube but than you have to transfer that knowledge to the game which is not so easy to do and it kills immersion. I had the same prob as Talonson and also prob figuring out the nodes 
    Kidz these days. When I first joined EVE back in "07" I printed out about 10 tutorials on everything from mining to piracy and null sec living.

I read them several times over 3 weeks, then signed up for a free trial.

Preparation, EVE requires it.

If we had tutorials I don't recall even bothering.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Trust me, I am level 56 and still learning wtf to do with half the systems in game... But hey! Combat is friggin awesome!
    I am confused as to why every one says this game has a bad tutorial. It is rather good if you ask me. If you talk to all the NPCs, it tells you how to use all the systems in the game. Go back to the first town, and make sure you talked to all those guys, it explains everything. So far they explained to me, Combat, Fishing, Hunting, How energy works, What contribute points are, how to tame a horse, crafting, workers, bosses, ect. Not to mention if you have any questions, you just ask in channel chat, I have never had my questions go unanswered. I am coming from games like Ryzom, eve online, and uncharted waters though.

It sounds like every one is expecting the game to be like world of war craft. If you think eve online, and BDO have bad introductions, I think you should give UO, and EQ a try, the ones from 1999. There was nothing that told you what to do you had to figure it all out your self. Try a couple of old ninendo games, they really were hard with little to no instruction on what you were suppose to be doing. 

I gave a game called chrono tigger a try, when my computer was down, and i played for like 5 hours, and I literally had 0 idea as to what was really going on. 
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited November 2016
    Strange, as I get older I get better.
    In fact the reason why I struggle with MMOs at the moment is because I find everything too easy, when I play games I just go in autopilot knowing exactly what to do and when, usually skipping tutorials all together.

It has been ages since I played a MMO with something original in it, most lack the challenge I crave.

• GrendGrend Member UncommonPosts: 63
    ste2000 said:
    In fact the reason why I struggle with MMOs at the moment is because I find everything too easy, when I play games I just go in autopilot knowing exactly what to do and when, usually skipping tutorials all together.

It has been ages since I played a MMO with something original in it, most lack the challenge I crave.
    I agree with this and that's been my problem. Every now and then I'll run into something new or done sorta in reverse/weird mechanics. It's gotten to the point, I can play most MMOs in my sleep.
    Grend said:
    ste2000 said:

I agree with this and that's been my problem. Every now and then I'll run into something new or done sorta in reverse/weird mechanics. It's gotten to the point, I can play most MMOs in my sleep.
    Go try to play a game called pirates of the Caribbean, by the people who made skyrim. That game challenges the most enlightened gamer, and makes Black Desert Online look like Monopoly JR;) 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Volgore said:
    Yes, nothing beats skimming through a bloated 15min video of a slow guy when you are stressed out already and just looking for a quick hint that clip was supposed to give :)

Yes, but the video was about him getting attention rather than the little hint the video was suppose to be about.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Play Wurm.

put that little 'oh it aint cool to play an indie game it might get sick' and 'oh the graphics waaaaaa' aside bury it for about a week. just shut the F up and play Wurm.

that is my vote

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Maybe I'm like you or just lazy.  Frankly, if I have to do research constantly in any game I quit.  It is supposed to entertaining and an escape, not homework.  You're right the tutorials in BDO are horrible.  I rarely knew what I was doing or you thought you did and you need to refine, get something else, melt or refine.... *snore*

I quite playing that game a while ago.  I never felt like there was community and I HAVE NEVER been a fan of just chatting with guildies (can you say clique?).  Once you could easily ask the community and only get occasional modest jerk comments.  Now!?  Psft please!!!  You're likely to get called p*ssy, f*ag, or have some rape or racist comment come your way. 

So in the end?  Yes, I feel like maybe I'm getting too old.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I will share a personal story.

I used to play EQ2. During that phase of my life I had a hard time finding games. I would check gamespot and the like and I would focus on 'mainstream' games because I felt if a game was good it would rise to that level anyway, so best just focus on that list to save myself time.

My gaming experience never got too much better, I never even like EQ2 that much despite playing it for about 2 years total. I always wished games could take it to the next level.

Then I found an indie game, and I havent been back since and its been glorious. that was in 2008.

true story, something to think about if you are honest about not being pleased and honest about wanting to become so. Not saying my story solves all of those problems for all people but my story might help some IF they are willing to give it a shot

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

SEANMCAD said:
    I will share a personal story.

I used to play EQ2. During that phase of my life I had a hard time finding games. I would check gamespot and the like and I would focus on 'mainstream' games because I felt if a game was good it would rise to that level anyway, so best just focus on that list to save myself time.

My gaming experience never got too much better, I never even like EQ2 that much despite playing it for about 2 years total. I always wished games could take it to the next level.

Then I found an indie game, and I havent been back since and its been glorious. that was in 2008.

true story, something to think about if you are honest about not being pleased and honest about wanting to become so. Not saying my story solves all of those problems for all people but my story might help some IF they are willing to give it a shot
    Never go with the pack, especially on entertainment choices, it fails almost every time. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'll be too old for MMOs when they pry the gaming mouse from my cold dead hands.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Iselin said:
    I'll be too old for MMOs when they pry the gaming mouse from my cold dead hands.

You give up so easily.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kyleran said:
    eddieg50 said:
    Kidz these days. When I first joined EVE back in "07" I printed out about 10 tutorials on everything from mining to piracy and null sec living.

I read them several times over 3 weeks, then signed up for a free trial.

Preparation, EVE requires it.

If we had tutorials I don't recall even bothering.

;)
    The new Eve tutorials are somewhat epic, shame that it took 13 years to them. O.o
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Volgore said:
    That's why i typically google the specifics of what I'm looking for, and only go to text based links, videos by default are going to be overly exhaustive as everyone is trying to be a Youtube star today. Text is usually simple and to the point. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson