Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I so desperately want to see the Console MMO market expand

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
I would say DCUO was my first Console MMO experience. But didnt like it too much, mainly because it didnt fit the genre I like which is Fantasy. but it was good with what it could do on a console. Showed me that MMO gameplay is possible on consoles. 

But ESO was what really got me interested in Console MMOs. I have the game on both PC and Console. I didnt really like the PC version. the gameplay was dull to me for a PC MMO because I have a higher standard for that area. 

But on Console, on my TV, its more like a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game with player interactions. Yeah it could have been designed better, but thats why I believe this is a starting point. 

With systems like the Nintendo Switch, and MS/Sony having touch screen/VR added to their systems, I believe Console MMOs could really do something that has some long/mid term value to it, if properly designed.

Certain things over the years from the MMO genre, needs to be passed on to these next gen Console MMOs. Dynamic Events for instances, was a major thing in Rift and Guild Wars2, no point not having a next level of this from here on out, in replace of static quest in console MMOs.

Large Scale PvP is a thing now, so no point designing all your PvP to be Esport. 

but anyway. whats your thoughts?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I've played Destiny for a dozen hours or so and while it is a great game, I don't play it like an MMO. Main reason is because I hate people, but a secondary reason is the level mismatch issue; I've had to abandon a 'dungeon event' halfway through because some absurdly high level player cleared the entire place ahead of me. 

Were they to work out the power level issues, I could see a decent casual fire team experience like multiplayer Halo campaign sessions.

Id like to see more console releases.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2016
    carotid said:

I have the game on both PC and Console. I didnt really like the PC version. the gameplay was dull to me for a PC MMO because I have a higher standard for that area. 

[mod edit]
    He didn't make crap up, i own both versions too. Yes, it is the same game, but after getting the PS4 version i never looked back to the PC version either. Sure it's more of a personal preference, but the console version with full gamepad support and emptier UI (no addons or chatbox on screen) feels very clean.

As for the main topic, i would love a Marvel Heroes port to PS4 and XBO. I will never get tired of saying it. Gaz will probably let the game die before porting it. Sad.
    Post edited by Vaross on

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    No, no, no, no, no. Just no. There's already enough piss poor console ports to PC as it is. MMO's are about the only genre left where this isn't happening and I'd like it to stay that way. PC games written for the PC, possibly ported to console later, fair enough.

The OP even states he has a "Higher standard for that (PC) area". Once they start designing MMO's for consoles we'll be in console port hell. F**k consoles!
    edited November 2016
    No, no, no, no, no. Just no. There's already enough piss poor console ports to PC as it is. MMO's are about the only genre left where this isn't happening and I'd like it to stay that way. PC games written for the PC, possibly ported to console later, fair enough.

The OP even states he has a "Higher standard for that (PC) area". Once they start designing MMO's for consoles we'll be in console port hell. F**k consoles!
    I hope you are well aware that the highest number of piss poor mmos are PC exclusives. That has nothing to do with consoles. In fact, going multi platform will make all mmos post WoW survive(the ones that translate well to a controller). But its all about quality in the end.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    there is a reason mmos on consoles feel like coop games (yes, we got em too on PC; won't disagree on the division and co):

devs are fucking lazy. how i know thart? took em 5 years to port GTA from console to PC :)

anyway, i don't think consoles have the space or ram to play an mmo for real.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    I actually do enjoy actiony combat with a relatively low number of abilities. ESO's combat system was pretty good IMO and I only ever played it on PC. The general theme-park quality was it's biggest downside to me. However complete reliance on a game controller does limit what an MMO is capable of.

The MMO market just needs more diversity in general. A stronger balance between PC and console titles wouldn't be a bad area to have that.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    FFXIV:ARR, pretty much proof it can be done, although, it does have to be said if you want a MMO on Console then you have to accept that the graphical fidelity and framerates, which also relates to input lag as well if the framerates are below 60 to any degree (which 30 most definitely is) than they are on PC, we are already at the stage where 60 fps, particularly for action based games with lots of particle effects etc. is the absolute minimum acceptable, and with the proliferation of 144hz monitors etc. higher framerates than 60 are extremely desirable, because, they really do look much better.
    There will undoubtedly be more MMO's supported on Console, but for the big AAA games, not so much, for better or worse, MMO's are native to PC, not Console, its all about the hardware. :o
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Eldurian said:
    I actually do enjoy actiony combat with a relatively low number of abilities. ESO's combat system was pretty good IMO and I only ever played it on PC. The general theme-park quality was it's biggest downside to me. However complete reliance on a game controller does limit what an MMO is capable of.

The MMO market just needs more diversity in general. A stronger balance between PC and console titles wouldn't be a bad area to have that.
    One of the biggest problems with designing an MMO purely for Console, is longevity, MMO's need to be profitable long term, and with Consoles, whose iterations have a limited shelf life of perhaps 3 or 4 years, its a problem, particularly as that 'shelf life' of individual consoles is shrinking, its not unreasonable at the moment to suggest that Consoles could end up being 'refreshed' every 2 years, how this is handled in terms of backwards compatability will be important, as, like in the case of FFXIV:ARR, where the client software had to be recoded from PS3 to PS4, how radical these 'recodes' will have to be will impact on the games profitability, as you can imagine there is a hefty $$ price tag associated with it, in the case of FFXIV:ARR, which is a subscription based game, that is perhaps easier to deal with, but probably something you don't want to have to do every 2 or 3 years, for F2P and more specifically, B2P games, that becomes a huge problem.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Consoles have ruined my PC experience why not my MMO's too, great idea.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is sad because EQ Adventures was the real starting point,a decently robust rpg for console.Then FFXi came along and blew it out of the water and imo to this day FFXI aside from top end graphics is stil la better mmorpg than the rest of the bunch.
    FFXi was done during an era when the giant "Blizzard" was inept art doing their own console versions and yet that 15 years ago Square pulled off an amazing mmorpg not only for it's time but even now.

Fast forward and NOBODY is doing a very good with the mmorpg genre.ESO is decent at best,still way too linear and too much hand holding for my liking,it is SUPPOSE to be a personal experience,NOT a connect the dots,everyone plays the same.
    I always use FFXI as the scale because that game was done for th ePS2,so if PC developers and high end NEW console developers can't at least pull that off,they plain SUCK and imo Bethesda is as they always where,just a SO SO developer.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm exclusively a PC player but the constant upgrading of graphics card and motherboard etc. is starting to irritate me.  Maybe if I was tech oriented it wouldnt be so bad but I'm not. I need to buy another system so I'm spending thousands of dollars. If my favorite MMOs were on console I might consider switching.  As it is now I love companies like CDProjekt Red who make great PC games.  So many of these console games that get ported to PC just feel horrid to me. 
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited November 2016
    flizzer said:
    I'm exclusively a PC player but the constant upgrading of graphics card and motherboard etc. is starting to irritate me. 
    LOL.

What is "constant"?
    Every 3 months? 6 months? year?
    What do you buy? The latest FOTM overpriced hardware?

You sound like you buy every game there is on the market and buy the matching hardware to play that on ultra settings?

I got a gtx1080 machine, works fine.
    I play games on a gtx970 machine too: also works fine.

The 970 machine has a 1150 cpu, 3-4 years old. With matching motherboard of that time.
    16gb ddr3 ram.
    Works just fine on the latest games, for years to come.

The constant upgrading theory you are posting is just B/S.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I would prefer MMO-lite on consoles.  Especially if they're going to be themepark types.  A good fantasy Division styled game with solid grounded gameplay would be great.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    A console only MMO that uses the consoles strength instead of trying to be a PC game would be nice. A combat system closer to Tekken and Soul Calibur then Wow but with good enough progress and a working group dynamics.

Trying to just port PC games isn't good enough, the end result of a game specifically made for consoles then a PC port would be a huge difference. Consoles can't make a game like Wow as good as a PC would, but they have other strengths and weaknesses. 
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    I look at how FFXIV handles the pc & console input - and wonder why others make such a drama out of the whole thing.

Anyway, the negative of console introduction to some games has been the often significant reduction in class abilities.
    The marketing guys have tried desperately to brand these as the new genre of 'action' mmo's - as though previous ones hadn't had any.

The replacement of a comprehensive skill set with this 'action' design too often results in your character jumping around (double jumping - sorry Hive), as if they spend their entire life after creation in a bouncy castle.

Solo play suffers, but even more so when it comes to dungeon/raids, as groups of bouncing characters spend their time jumping/hacking/slashing about in a dumbed down pew-pew fest.

By all means have mmo's for consoles. Group the two operating system of console and pc together if you want. But don't constrict pc game play as a result.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    The expansion of the console MMO market so far as led to poorer PC MMOs and entrenched the conversion of MMOs to solo player games. So no thanks.
  • BarbieBoyBarbieBoy Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I will still prefer PC version not because of game quality or smoothness of one platform to another. The main reason is that if I use PC I can still run other software like video edits, spreadsheet for my work and other stuffs. So I'll choose PC over console.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    I so desperately want to see the Console MMO market expand...

I would like to understand in concrete terms why. I can think of a few reasons but I am not sure if they are the correct reasons

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Consoles are to PC Gaming as McDonalds is to Ruth's Chris Steak House.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Scot said:
    The expansion of the console MMO market so far as led to poorer PC MMOs and entrenched the conversion of MMOs to solo player games. So no thanks.
    Yeah, but that is just because they try to make the games cross platform. Ported games will never be as good as something exclusively made for a single platform and when you are making something for 2 or more platforms you will cut corners.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I dont even consider MMOs on console
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited November 2016
    Ehhhhh, MMOs made with only consoles in mind sure. Otherwise you end up with FFXI/FFXIV problems (Ps2/Ps3 limitations)
    edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

I would like to understand in concrete terms why. I can think of a few reasons but I am not sure if they are the correct reasons
    Easy answer, PC is not the only way to enjoy gaming. They are both viable options.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited November 2016
    SEANMCAD said:

Easy answer, PC is not the only way to enjoy gaming. They are both viable options.
    I dont disagree with that but its not a strong answer. the answer should highlight the differentiators. it sounds like you just want to do it just to do it becuase it can be done no other real reason.

I guess what I am asking is what specifically does consoles bring to the table that makes the MMO experience better. I stress the word 'specifically'

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me