Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UPDATED: Nost Team Makes Good On Threat To Release The Server Code - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    filmoret said:
    Phry said:
    Well, one way to throw away any chance of a career in the business.
    So now they are in the position that the big developers will likely not give any of those people a job, was it worth it i wonder?
    They did the corporate thing.  Where they take your ideas and make them happen without you.  They were good enough to produce a decent vanilla server but not good enough to give directions to Blizzard on how they could do the same thing.
    Chances are that what the Nost team had just wasn't practical, had too many flaws and would have cost too much to fix or implement, with too little to be gained from doing so, there is no evidence after all, to suggest that the people who had been using the Nostalrius private server, were there for any reason other than it was free. Blizzard aren't stupid after all, if it was possible to make it profitable, they would likely have gone ahead with it.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    13lake said:
    Did any of you guys even read the nos team statement ? :

"We should not forget that Blizzard is the owner of World of Warcraft and would be for sure the most able to restore it. Until they disclose a schedule (if they do), the Legacy community will have to assume there will not be an official Blizzard release of Legacy WoW - possibly for very long time," the announcement reads. "It's time for us to release our source code and additional tools to the community in the hope that it will maintain the Legacy community as much as possible until Blizzard announces an official Legacy plan - should they decide to do that."

On another note if you're so hung up and aggressive with this kind of small copyright infringement/industry stealing, how much cognitive dissonance would there we be if we talked about the chinese technology industry meteoric rise to power ? :)
    Yea I don't think many read the NOS decision.  They automatically started defending Blizzard.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    Phry said:
    filmoret said:
    Phry said:
    Well, one way to throw away any chance of a career in the business.
    So now they are in the position that the big developers will likely not give any of those people a job, was it worth it i wonder?
    They did the corporate thing.  Where they take your ideas and make them happen without you.  They were good enough to produce a decent vanilla server but not good enough to give directions to Blizzard on how they could do the same thing.
    Chances are that what the Nost team had just wasn't practical, had too many flaws and would have cost too much to fix or implement, with too little to be gained from doing so, there is no evidence after all, to suggest that the people who had been using the Nostalrius private server, were there for any reason other than it was free. Blizzard aren't stupid after all, if it was possible to make it profitable, they would likely have gone ahead with it.
    Yea the corporate side of the story is very complex to say the least.  Given their track record with various things it isn't the regular practice of Blizzard to pull anyone from the outside though.  It has cost them billions.  They should have been the ones to start MOBA's but instead of using the people who created them they decided to try it on their own.  They did however have a big win with Overwatch.  Its a gamble to try to make something successful without the help of the original idealists who made it happen.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Galadourn said:
    Deekins said:
    Kiyonori said:
    Deekins said:
    I don't need to research shit. Do they work for Blizzard? Do they have anything to do with Blizzard? No is the answer to both of those questions. They have Blizzards game on a private server, that is theft. I don't give a shit what piss ant excuse you try to rationalize in your head. It is theft of an IP to "make it" your own. I don't give two shits if they have worked on this for 6 or 12 years. It isn't their IP. That is pretty much the end of that. They stole from Blizzard, and I for one hope Blizzard does everything they legally can to ruin these people's life.
    What's with the overreaction? You have stocks in blizzard? There is no valid reason to be this passionate about a company that just wants to make money. Not unless you're being paid.

If they were copying the current wow, word for word, code for code, and giving it away for free then I would understand (partly) but how is a buggy vanilla server with a few thousand players going to have any effect on the population/profitability of the current game? Are you that offended that a few autistic people who can't let go of the past just want to play on their little hug-box server away from all the "casuals"?

I haven't been keeping up with all of this as much as I've wanted to but I don't understand why everyone on blizzards side is so against a small vanilla server existing, other than the fact it's "stealing" which is (other than the assets) debatable.

Personally I believe they still have this as an option on the table. I don't think their little meetup was just for show but between gauging interest and the cost-to-profit ratio, not to mention "Soon" they are probably going to take their sweet time before releasing any information either way about it.
    It's not an overreaction, it is me tired of explaining it is theft. There is no excuse that people can make to not make this theft. It isn't debatable, they stole WoW assets, use the IP name without permission fro Blizzard. This is theft. People need to stop condoning stealing. I don't care what the reason is, it is not okay.

And no, I don't own any stock in Blizzard.
    Most people playing on Nost had already purchased the original retail version of WoW, a product and service no longer provided by Blizzard. Are they not entitled to work around a way of utilizing the product they purchased?
    In a word. No, they aren't.
    If World of Warcraft was no longer running that would be different, and it does clearly state that the game experience will change. If the game is not what you wanted then you should have researched before buying, or made use of a free trial.
    Buying access to a game, does not mean you own the game. :o
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Deekins said:
    Kiyonori said:
    Deekins said:
    I don't need to research shit. Do they work for Blizzard? Do they have anything to do with Blizzard? No is the answer to both of those questions. They have Blizzards game on a private server, that is theft. I don't give a shit what piss ant excuse you try to rationalize in your head. It is theft of an IP to "make it" your own. I don't give two shits if they have worked on this for 6 or 12 years. It isn't their IP. That is pretty much the end of that. They stole from Blizzard, and I for one hope Blizzard does everything they legally can to ruin these people's life.
    What's with the overreaction? You have stocks in blizzard? There is no valid reason to be this passionate about a company that just wants to make money. Not unless you're being paid.

If they were copying the current wow, word for word, code for code, and giving it away for free then I would understand (partly) but how is a buggy vanilla server with a few thousand players going to have any effect on the population/profitability of the current game? Are you that offended that a few autistic people who can't let go of the past just want to play on their little hug-box server away from all the "casuals"?

I haven't been keeping up with all of this as much as I've wanted to but I don't understand why everyone on blizzards side is so against a small vanilla server existing, other than the fact it's "stealing" which is (other than the assets) debatable.

Personally I believe they still have this as an option on the table. I don't think their little meetup was just for show but between gauging interest and the cost-to-profit ratio, not to mention "Soon" they are probably going to take their sweet time before releasing any information either way about it.
    It's not an overreaction, it is me tired of explaining it is theft. There is no excuse that people can make to not make this theft. It isn't debatable, they stole WoW assets, use the IP name without permission fro Blizzard. This is theft. People need to stop condoning stealing. I don't care what the reason is, it is not okay.

Yes, theft is theft and no, there is no excuse for theft.

Thing is... IP theft is something the corporate world does every day of the week all day long. It doesn't excuse anything but I do have sympathy for the masses who see this going on and see those with the biggest stable of lawyers get away with it on the one hand and sue others that do it who may not be quite as lawyered up forcing settlements on them.

I found this quote from the article someone above linked about Warcraft and Warhammer hilarious:

"Years after the launch of Warcraft my dad, upon returning from a trip to Asia, gave me a present of a set of Warhammer miniatures in the form of a skeleton charioteer and horses with the comment: 'I found these cool toys on my trip and they reminded me a lot of your game; you might want to have your legal department contact them because I think they're ripping you off'" (Patrick Wyatt)

The fact is that the big guys steal in subtle and not so subtle ways and get away with it. It's the little guys who always get fucked over because they don't have the money for the legal muscle.

That's the flavor of this discussion you seem to be missing by saying "theft is theft." So about that morality card you're playing... it ain't as black and white as all that.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    filmoret said:
    13lake said:

"We should not forget that Blizzard is the owner of World of Warcraft and would be for sure the most able to restore it. Until they disclose a schedule (if they do), the Legacy community will have to assume there will not be an official Blizzard release of Legacy WoW - possibly for very long time," the announcement reads. "It's time for us to release our source code and additional tools to the community in the hope that it will maintain the Legacy community as much as possible until Blizzard announces an official Legacy plan - should they decide to do that."

On another note if you're so hung up and aggressive with this kind of small copyright infringement/industry stealing, how much cognitive dissonance would there we be if we talked about the chinese technology industry meteoric rise to power ? :)
    Yea I don't think many read the NOS decision.  They automatically started defending Blizzard.
    Defending Blizzard? It's pretty naive to think the servers created with these tools will actually be closed on their own like they suggest here.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    edited November 2016
    Phry said:
    If the game is not what you wanted then you should have researched before buying, or made use of a free trial.
    And do you think the regular joe is happy when it clicks in his head, when he eventually figures it out ? do you think he's satisfied ? do you think he is gonna let it slide ? do you think he cares who is the wrong and who is not, and in what amount of wrong, either morally or by law ?

You on side say haha u bought access to a product, not the product itself, research ahead of time next time. Does a regular person follow this ? no he goes haha right back at you and thinks, you tell me to git smart ?, i'll show you, and the regular then person starts thinking a) how do i spite the company without feeling large repercussions from it, b) how do i continue to enjoy the product c) do both at the same time.

Cue a couple google searches and words of mouth later, and voila the regular joe is playing a private server (and listening to rage against the machine while at it :P)
    Dakeru said:
    filmoret said:
    13lake said:

Defending Blizzard? It's pretty naive to think the servers created with these tools will actually be closed on their own like they suggest here.
    Its Blizzard's right to cut them out of the picture.  But don't act like that isn't what Blizzard was doing.  The only people Blizzard is stringing along now is the players who still believe they might actually do a vanilla server.  If they planned on doing a vanilla server then they would have played NOS untill it was launched to prevent something like this from happening.  Fact is if you want a vanilla server then Blizzard is not the place to get one.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    filmoret said:
    Dakeru said:
    filmoret said:
    13lake said:

Its Blizzard's right to cut them out of the picture.  But don't act like that isn't what Blizzard was doing.  
    I'm not defending anyone. I never said Blizzard was not doing something.

I'm saying you are accusing people of immediately defending Blizzard while you yourself are defending Nos to the same degree.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Phry said:
    Galadourn said:
    Deekins said:
    Kiyonori said:
    Deekins said:

Most people playing on Nost had already purchased the original retail version of WoW, a product and service no longer provided by Blizzard. Are they not entitled to work around a way of utilizing the product they purchased?
    In a word. No, they aren't.
    If World of Warcraft was no longer running that would be different, and it does clearly state that the game experience will change. If the game is not what you wanted then you should have researched before buying, or made use of a free trial.
    But that's where you are wrong. 

Vanilla World of Warcraft is no longer running. Vanilla is a different game than retail WoW, currently on servers. (and in fact, the disclaimer "game experience may change" attests to this). I never signed any EULA stating that I was obliged to play the current version of WoW forever. As a matter of fact, the EULA I signed was for a product that no longer exists - vanilla.

So I bought access to the game 11 years ago, this service is no longer provided, fine - story ends there, I unsub from the retail version. However, the old product - the one I paid money for - is still in my possession and I am allowed to make it work however I see fit, provided I don't make a profit out of it. The server code is in Blizzard's possession, but this is not the code used in private servers to make the clients run. 
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    13lake said:
    Phry said:
    If the game is not what you wanted then you should have researched before buying, or made use of a free trial.
    And do you think the regular joe is happy when it clicks in his head, when he eventually figures it out ? do you think he's satisfied ? do you think he is gonna let it slide ? do you think he cares who is the wrong and who is not, and in what amount of wrong, either morally or by law ?

You on side say haha u bought access to a product, not the product itself, research ahead of time next time. Does a regular person follow this ? no he goes haha right back at you and thinks, you tell me to git smart ?, i'll show you, and the regular then person starts thinking a) how do i spite the company without feeling large repercussions from it, b) how do i continue to enjoy the product c) do both at the same time.

Cue a couple google searches and words of mouth later, and voila the regular joe is playing a private server (and listening to rage against the machine while at it :P)
    "Regular people", you say? So all the other people who don't do this are what? Mutants ? Yeah, I must be a mutant. I'm gonna go figure out what special power I have. I bet it's laser dick. 
    Deekins said:
    Galadourn said:
    Deekins said:
    Kiyonori said:
    Deekins said:

But the service is still provided. WoW is still going strong. Just because it isn't the way you want it to be doesn't negate the fact that these people stole from Blizzard. The box even says "Online game play may change". Once Blizzard shuts WoW down for good, then and only then do the people running WoWemu's have a case. But as it is, Blizzard still has WoW going in its current form.
    read my post a couple of posts above
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    13lake said:
    Phry said:

I think that this is a sad statement about society. I don't think you're completely wrong, but I also don't think it's indicative of the entire population. Honestly, when I buy a bad game, I don't feel spiteful. I have no need for retribution. I also don't feel a need to do anything illegal in order to satisfy myself. 

What we know is that WoW has had 100 million accounts. NOS servers had like over 100,000 active users. So I think that the number of people wanting a vanilla server is more significant than what some people might believe, but I don't think that the majority of people who DO want a vanilla server are willing to resort to playing private servers. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited November 2016
    Ghavrigg said:
    "Regular people", you say? So all the other people who don't do this are what? Mutants ? Yeah, I must be a mutant. I'm gonna go figure out what special power I have. I bet it's laser dick. 
    You do know that in that context i used it as a figure of speech ? you're getting riled up at the wrong thing for the wrong reason :)

And to indulge you, if we disregard what i actually meant then, yes technically anyone not falling into this category could be called a mutant, as they are a rare breed who haven't done what the majority of the population of earth does at every waking moment :)

p.s. to clarify my regular people figure of speech represents the statistical majority, the highest common denominator of the % of the population that falls into this category and what they would do and how they would react.
    edited November 2016
    Deekins said:
    No, the service is still going. It just isn't going in the aspect YOU want. The box even says online game play may change. Just because you don't like it the way it is now, doesn't change it is still a service provided. 

Actually most EULA's probably state the game can and will change for whatever reason the company see's fit. You signed a EULA that agreed to their terms of game play. Just because you don't think this is theft doesn't negate the fact it is theft.
    Actually from the perspective of a given law of a country, neither the provider who has written the EULA, nor the provided are doing the right, nor the wrong thing :) Whether or not any of the two are doing the right or the wrong thing has to be proven in court of law. So in essence the whole thing is a Schrodinger's cat. Blame it on EULA not being admissible evidence by default :)

And as for the moral side of the story, it is just in our heads, it doesn't stop either side doing that they want :)
    13lake said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    You do know that in that context i used it as a figure of speech ? you're getting riled up at the wrong thing for the wrong reason :)

And to indulge you, if we disregard what i actually meant then, yes technically anyone not falling into this category could be called a mutant, as they are a rare breed who haven't done what the majority of the population of earth does at every waking moment :)

p.s. to clarify my regular people figure of speech represents the statistical majority, the highest common denominator of the % of the population that falls into this category and what they would do and how they would react.
    Image result for we are mutants picture
    edited November 2016
    Deekins said:

Just because it happens doesn't mean it is ok. Brings back the old adage "If your friends jump off a bridge, would you?". 
    Exactly, history tends to repeat itself. i wasn't saying if it's right or wrong, i was just saying it will keep happening because the human nature doesn't change easily. And what we read,watch,hear in all types media, and non-media nowdays will only hinder any change in the human nature.
    13lake said:
    Ghavrigg said:

It must have been nice to memorize all those words just so you could appear smart with little argument. "the statistical majority" which you don't know for certain. The highest common denominator of the random % of the population that makes up a statistical majority, blah blah blah. 

Anyway, no to all of it.
    Galadourn said:

Vanilla World of Warcraft is no longer running. Vanilla is a different game than retail WoW, currently on servers. (and in fact, the disclaimer "game experience may change" attests to this). I never signed any EULA stating that I was obliged to play the current version of WoW forever. As a matter of fact, the EULA I signed was for a product that no longer exists - vanilla.

So I bought access to the game 11 years ago, this service is no longer provided, fine - story ends there, I unsub from the retail version. However, the old product - the one I paid money for - is still in my possession and I am allowed to make it work however I see fit, provided I don't make a profit out of it. The server code is in Blizzard's possession, but this is not the code used in private servers to make the clients run. 
    What you are saying here is similar to saying that since the restaurant changed its menu, it's now all right to steal food.
    No, what I'm saying is that, if the restaurant served its menu on a plate, and then gave the plate to the customer to keep, said customer is not prohibited from eating a different meal on that plate from a different restaurant (or homemade :) ).
    CrazKanuk said:

I think that this is a sad statement about society. I don't think you're completely wrong, but I also don't think it's indicative of the entire population. Honestly, when I buy a bad game, I don't feel spiteful. I have no need for retribution. I also don't feel a need to do anything illegal in order to satisfy myself. 

What we know is that WoW has had 100 million accounts. NOS servers had like over 100,000 active users. So I think that the number of people wanting a vanilla server is more significant than what some people might believe, but I don't think that the majority of people who DO want a vanilla server are willing to resort to playing private servers. 
    Exactly, it's not indicative of the entire population, just a statistical majority :), which in turn skewers big data numbers influencing advertising/publishing/executive/etc decisions.

The only sensible way is to survey as large amount of private server players as possible, survey as large amount of official server players as possible, former players of both types, and anyone interested. Run the numbers through a super-computer, and compare the results to previously crunched numbers of how much would it cost to run vanilla, and how much would it impact the current servers ? Then organize a meeting and see how everyone feels about it, and then let the executive decision makers make a decision.

Is that feasible ? well i would run the numbers through a super-computer to see if running the numbers through super-computers is worth the money :)
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Galadourn said:

What you are saying here is similar to saying that since the restaurant changed its menu, it's now all right to steal food.
    A little off on that one. Persons have already paid for a product. Ordering something off a menu and being brought something different ends in a free meal. Not theft.
    filmoret said:
    Image result for we are mutants picture
    I would just like to add that regarding your signature, that whether anyone is onto something or on something, will be decided by the winners, same like written history :)
    Galadourn said:
    Galadourn said:

No, what I'm saying is that, if the restaurant served its menu on a plate, and then gave the plate to the customer to keep, said customer is not prohibited from eating a different meal on that plate from a different restaurant (or homemade :) ).
    Nope you are not. You are stealing the art assets and client code of Blizzard to use outside of the Blizzard product. That's theft, no matter how you put it.
    It's clearly said in that license agreement you are supposed to read, too. Chapter 2, Point E, notably. Chapter 4 is interesting too.
    You are right. It's the players that are violating the EULA. Not Nost. 
    More like since the restaurant changed it's menu, we've gone through the restaurant's trash bin since the menu changed, found shredded pieces of the original recipe, put them together, and now we make the old food ourselves.

While we only made it for friends nobody cared, now we made a makeshift lemonade stand-like stand and sold it to a few passerbys, and people are getting mad. :)
    edited November 2016
    13lake said:
    More like since the restaurant changed it's menu, we've gone through the restaurant's trash bin since the menu changed, found shredded pieces of the original recipe, put them together, and now we make the old food ourselves.

While we only made it for friends nobody cared, now we made a makeshift lemonade stand-like stand and sold it to a few passerbys, and people are getting mad. :)
    I know we keep coming back to this, but just a reminder, you just finished referring to those few passersby that you deem so underwhelming now, to be the statistical majority or the "regular people", which are the majority when compared to the "mutants". Majority doesn't mean a small number that doesn't matter.