Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overwatch League coming 2017- taking e-sports to the next level

holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,758
Next year, Blizzard is introducing the Overwatch league.  It's going to consist of teams representing cities competing against each other.  

I think this is amazing.  Not only does Overwatch lend itself so well to e-sports, being dependent on both individual skill and teamplay for success, but having teams representing cities adds a new level of legitimacy to e-sports and is just plain fun.

Hype video:

Explanation video:

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,304
    Neat idea.  i really enjoy the game and look to see how it evolves.

Concentrate on enjoying yourself, and not on why I shouldn't enjoy myself.

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,888
    Overwatch lends itself well for less competitive E-Sport competitions but it will never reach CS  or LoL level of E-Sport.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,758
    Overwatch lends itself well for less competitive E-Sport competitions but it will never reach CS  or LoL level of E-Sport.

Why do you think that?  With teams representing cities, it seems like it will be moving far beyond CS or LoL, at least when it comes to public perception.

Most people don't know anything about CS or LoL.  If there's an Overwatch team representing your city, you're going to find out about it and maybe even go see a match at your local venue.

If you mean "skill-wise", I wholeheartedly disagree.  Overwatch combines the skill of both CS and LoL, meaning it's much more skill-based than either of them.

Why do you think that?  With teams representing cities, it seems like it will be moving far beyond CS or LoL, at least when it comes to public perception.

Most people don't know anything about CS or LoL.  If there's an Overwatch team representing your city, you're going to find out about it and maybe even go see a match at your local venue.

If you mean "skill-wise", I wholeheartedly disagree.  Overwatch combines the skill of both CS and LoL, meaning it's much more skill-based than either of them.
    Your joking right? Overwatch is a cake walk compared to competitive CS
    Hell even TF2 has a higher skill cap.
    Blizzard has not denied this either. They said they wanted to make a competitive team shooter that was more accessible for the non hardcore. That is one of the reasons why they have sold so well.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited November 2016

Blizzard has not denied this either. They said they wanted to make a competitive team shooter that was more accessible for the non hardcore. That is one of the reasons why they have sold so well.

Nope, not joking.  To be a good McCree, you need the same kind of aim as you do in CS.  PLUS you need to be good with abilities AND have team coordination.

With CS you just frag out and you're good.

You're right that Blizzard did a phenomenal job of making the game accessible and fun for casuals.  But that in no way precludes top level play, or implies that top level play is anything at all like casual play.

TF2 is hardly worth talking about since it's an imbalanced mess of a game.  Fun to mess around in but not an e-sport.
    edited November 2016

Nope, not joking.  To be a good McCree, you need the same kind of aim as you do in CS.  PLUS you need to be good with abilities AND have team coordination.

You're right that Blizzard did a phenomenal job of making the game accessible and fun for casuals.  But that in no way precludes top level play, or implies that top level play is anything at all like casual play.
    lol as an ex competitive FPS player, in my professional opinion I disagree. As does Blizzard. 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,648

Agree with Blue. 

Come try CSGO at high ranks (Supreme / Global). You will be dead within 0.5 sec since you see the enemy every single time. 

lol as an ex competitive MGS player, in my professional opinion I disagree. As does Blizzard. 
    LOL yeah clearly Blizzard doesn't see Overwatch as a competitive game.  That's why they're launching the most ambitious e-sport league ever next year.

lol as an ex competitive MGS player, in my professional opinion I disagree. As does Blizzard. 
    LOL yeah clearly Blizzard doesn't see Overwatch as a competitive game.  That's why they're launching the most ambitious e-sport league ever next year.
    Noone said anything about them not making a competitive game suited for their fans. It was whether or not it could compete with the big boys ;)

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited November 2016

Agree with Blue. 

Come try CSGO at high ranks (Supreme / Global). You will be dead within 0.5 sec since you see the enemy every single time. 
    Why do you guys think aim is easier in Overwatch?  Aiming is exactly the same in both games.  It's just Overwatch has many more elements to consider than just aim.

Noone said anything about them not making a competitive game suited for their fans. It was whether or not it could compete with the big boys ;)
    The "big boys" being games that don't require team play and coordination, or ones like LoL that don't require much aim at all?

Alrighty then.
    edited November 2016

The "big boys" being games that don't require team play and coordination, or ones like LoL that don't require much aim at all?

Alrighty then.
    Have you ever played CS? it is team based and class based. What about CoD? Battlefield?
    OW is child's play compared to competitive CS and I like OW just not as a competitive E-Sport. I grew up in Korea. Competitive play is in my blood.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Agree with Blue. 

Why do you guys think aim is easier in Overwatch?  Aiming is exactly the same in both games.  It's just Overwatch has many more elements to consider than just aim.
    I have played number of competitive shooters throughout my gaming "career". I played hundreds of hours of Quake III, all Unreal Tournaments, etc. These games are much closer to Overwatch than CS. 

Yes, they are competitive. Yes, you need aim and skill.

However, CS is a completely different type of game. I have almost 4k hours in CSGO, playing at Supreme Master First Class rank and still sometimes I meet people with incredible skills who can beat me 100:0 in hypothetical 1v1. I would be dead in under 1sec since I see such person every single time.

I dont know, it is hard to explain. Spend 1k hours in CSGO and I am 100% sure, you would confirm what we are saying.
    But dont get me wrong. I am not saying Overwatch is a bad game. I think it is just different from CSGO which is a good thing for the many people who like OW.

I also think that the OW league is a great idea.

Alrighty then.
    Have you ever played CS? it is team based and class based. What about CoD? Battlefield?
    Have you ever set up an ultimate combo in CS?  You do it in LoL, but do you do it in CS?  Do you aim for headshots in LoL?  Do you see how Overwatch combines elements from both these games, and mastering more elements means top players will have more skills than someone that just masters one or the other?

Honestly, Blue, I can't even talk to you about Overwatch.  Your hatred is palpable and you've convinced yourself that Blizzard thinks the game is totally casual and thinks tf2 is the ultimate ability-based fps game for all eternity.  It's bizzaro world in your brain.

Alrighty then.
    Have you ever set up an ultimate combo in CS?  You do it in LoL, but do you do it in CS?  Do you aim for headshots in LoL?  Do you see how Overwatch combines elements from both these games, and mastering more elements means top players will have more skills than someone that just masters one or the other?

Honestly, Blue, I can't even talk to you about Overwatch.  Your hatred is palpable and you've convinced yourself that Blizzard thinks the game is totally casual and thinks tf2 is the ultimate ability-based fps game for all eternity.  It's bizzaro world in your brain.
    I enjoy OW. I have zero hatred for the game. I do think TF2 is the best hero shooter ever made. As does Blizzard.
    We all get that you are in love with OW but your lack of knowledge of other games even within the same genre limits your ability to have a cogent discussion about them.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

"I do think TF2 is the best hero shooter ever made. As does Blizzard."

Uh huh.
    edited November 2016
    "But dont get me wrong. I am not saying Overwatch is a bad game. I think it is just different from CSGO which is a good thing for the many people who like OW.

I also think that the OW league is a great idea."

Clearly Overwatch is different.  There are many more things to consider in Overwatch than just line of sight.  But that makes the game inherently casual I guess.

Uh huh.
    “If people want to compare Overwatch to Team Fortress 2, we would take that as the world’s greatest compliment," said Kaplan. “We love that game; it’s probably one of my favourite games of all time. Those guys are geniuses; that guy, Robin Walker, up at Valve - I had the honor of meeting him."

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Uh huh.
    “If people want to compare Overwatch to Team Fortress 2, we would take that as the world’s greatest compliment," said Kaplan. “We love that game; it’s probably one of my favourite games of all time. Those guys are geniuses; that guy, Robin Walker, up at Valve - I had the honor of meeting him."
    That's a gracious statement.  How does that equate to "TF2 is the best hero shooter ever made, even better than Overwatch."

Uh huh.
    That's a gracious statement.  How does that equate to "TF2 is the best hero shooter ever made, even better than Overwatch."
    Play it and see

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

"But dont get me wrong. I am not saying Overwatch is a bad game. I think it is just different from CSGO which is a good thing for the many people who like OW.

I also think that the OW league is a great idea."

Clearly Overwatch is different.  There are many more things to consider in Overwatch than just line of sight.  But that makes the game inherently casual I guess.
    Not necessarily casual. Just more casual than CSGO which does not mean that it is any worse. 

Trust me, CS is so hardcore that it is frustrating. I once introduced my colleague's 13 year old son to the game. After several rounds he turned his computer off in tears. No kidding :)

Uh huh.
    Play it and see
    No dude I'm not playing it!

Uh huh.
    Play it and see
    No dude I'm not playing it!

Fair enough. Cheers! 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 709
    edited November 2016
    Overwatch is child's play compared to dota or cs, anyone claiming otherwise has one of the following : an agenda, unhealthy obsession against dota/cs, unhealthy obsession for a competitive game that's not dota or cs.

Whether they never could get good enough in dota or cs, or if they have some wierd stuff to prove/disprove is irrelevant to their extreme lack of objectivity in the matter.