Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So you think you have experienced pvp and claim to be pvp'er but never actually tried darkfall?

13»

Comments

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    BDO and darktide suck balls compared to Darkfall.. especially this version which is the best yet! The original had some really hard times... and I didn't like Unholy Wars as much so I am really excited for this!

Honestly, despite rumors, cheating had NEVER been an issue for me. I reported someone with speed hack once and he was banned for it. I remember people with new accounts flying around and trying to do sticky back hack at another point, but they were never able to kill me or even waste more than 30 seconds of my time... the radar hack however did bother me, but game was still funnest to play..

Autohotkey and use of macros are thing of the past completely!

If you haven't seen or experienced the changes, you really will be shocked how much better the game is today compared to years ago. Pretty big difference!

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Kyleran said:

PVP "game" players look for balanced PVP such as found in MOBAs, fair and balanced like a good team sport.

PVP in MMORPGs especially in titles such as this are more like fighting in real life war. 

Almost never balanced or fair because the stakes are higher and victory by any means is all that matters. (while remaining within the rules if the game of course)

Most people eschew war, hence this style of PVP is not enjoyed by quite so many.

Interesting choice of examples. Wildly inaccurate, in my opinion, but interesting nonetheless. I like your MOBA distinction, however, and I find that accurate or at least in line with my opinions.

People that truly want to test their personal or teams skill (or both) will look for a balanced play field where their actions and their decisions decide who will win and who will have to try again. This is also probably really good insight as to why these communities are considered (and in my experience really are) far more caustic than other game communities. Highly competitive people tend to want/expect teammates to be 'on their level' and get frustrated when they aren't. To say the least.

OWPVP IMO has far too many variables to be considered an accurate ranking of one's ability in PvP. Sure there will be the occasional matchup that has no outside influence between equally geared players, but again, in my experience, that is few and far between. And in a game that can boast to 'easily handle 500 vs 500 battles you aren't getting a 1 vs 1 duel very often.

Finally, of course, OP, you love your game and I am glad it brings you excitement and pleasure, but it is not, by a long shot the only show in town nor is it the best example fo a PvP game.

MrMelGibson

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

SEANMCAD said:

ok guys who think they are the PvP shit, if you think Darkfall is not a test of your skills oh please man up and give us a title that you think does....lol

Any MOBA would be a better test, most of the lobby shooters would be a good example, and quite a few of the survival games would be good examples. Glad I could help.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    it's 2017. I really wished it looked better.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    playerunknown's battlegrounds is the pvp game of choice nowadays. survival games are the new pvp trend, mmo PVP is mind numbing, yes even darkfall which is skill based.  hopefully Dark & Light (or another game like it) will be a good mix of pvp / survival so darkfall can finally be laid to rest 

Hatefull said:

SEANMCAD said:

ok guys who think they are the PvP shit, if you think Darkfall is not a test of your skills oh please man up and give us a title that you think does....lol

Any MOBA would be a better test, most of the lobby shooters would be a good example, and quite a few of the survival games would be good examples. Glad I could help.

.... funny.... guessing you haven't played to the end game or tried to compete to be the best in game.

No MOBA comes close to difficulty! Thanks for the laugh though.

No other game, PERIOD, uses every key on your keyboard, while keeping in mind teamwork, using environment during combat, (all real life strategies more applied when it comes to military tactics), twitch combat, bunny-hopping, ..... and doing all this with likely an adrenaline rush because you don't want to die and lose your stuff!

Survival games? hahaha like what? Rust? Conan? zomg totally easy dumb-founded combat. You have no idea what you are talking about my good man.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Avenging_MartyrAvenging_Martyr Member UncommonPosts: 11

Hatefull said:

Kyleran said:

PVP "game" players look for balanced PVP such as found in MOBAs, fair and balanced like a good team sport.

PVP in MMORPGs especially in titles such as this are more like fighting in real life war. 

Almost never balanced or fair because the stakes are higher and victory by any means is all that matters. (while remaining within the rules if the game of course)

Most people eschew war, hence this style of PVP is not enjoyed by quite so many.

Interesting choice of examples. Wildly inaccurate, in my opinion, but interesting nonetheless. I like your MOBA distinction, however, and I find that accurate or at least in line with my opinions.

People that truly want to test their personal or teams skill (or both) will look for a balanced play field where their actions and their decisions decide who will win and who will have to try again. This is also probably really good insight as to why these communities are considered (and in my experience really are) far more caustic than other game communities. Highly competitive people tend to want/expect teammates to be 'on their level' and get frustrated when they aren't. To say the least.

OWPVP IMO has far too many variables to be considered an accurate ranking of one's ability in PvP. Sure there will be the occasional matchup that has no outside influence between equally geared players, but again, in my experience, that is few and far between. And in a game that can boast to 'easily handle 500 vs 500 battles you aren't getting a 1 vs 1 duel very often.

Finally, of course, OP, you love your game and I am glad it brings you excitement and pleasure, but it is not, by a long shot the only show in town nor is it the best example fo a PvP game.

Honestly it has truth and inaccuracy mixed in that statement.

Darkfall is anything but fair. Gear, Character Stats/Skills/Spells, Knowledge and Player Skill all effect each and every battle greatly.

I've personally been on my alt naked  and over encumbered (slowed to 1/4 normal speed) while resource gathering and have barely managed to kill players who are geared, with better stats and better combat skills through my knowledge and player skill. That's something I can't do in any other game no matter how hard I may try.

Some people say you have to play using everything and that isn't true. You just won't be capable of fighting in every possible scenario but you'll do just fine in 95%.

Lets use a caster for example. It's not easy to be a pure mage in Darkfall. Over time anyone would probably branch out and learn melee/archery skills for a variety of reasons but lets imagine a pure caster play style which I've seen in the past. The one true weakness of a mage is water combat. You can't caste into or under water.

Through knockup spells, blinds, singular and AoE knockback spells you can keep enemies off you. With utility spells you are very mobile and use less stamina than others in heavier armor while being capable of supporting allies and killing enemies via various spells.

Even early on a good knockup fire mage and a melee buddy can rick roll a much larger group if they play their roles well. Darkfall is all about being able to overcome odds which in any other game would be the end of you.

Besides the sieges which can be massive war like battles and city raids which can turn into every man on deck battles.

The world combat often allows strategies and tactics to change the course of a battle.

The enemy buffed themselves? Play keep away for 8 minutes and then attack before they reapply buffs. (Buff duration may be changed in the future. It's a heated argument on the forum)

A enemy mage is crazy strong and you suck at spells/Aiming so you run and get into the nearest body of water (much slower movement) and bow them down from below (archer special skill) since magic cannot pierce or be used underwater. If nothing else this will allow you to break off and live another day.

While being chased by enemies you can lead them into nearby mob spawns for great effect. Especially dangerous spawns can cause mayhem and if you take advantage you might be the one left standing on top the corpse pile.

Ambushing targets is a very real thing and silently approaching then debuffing/attacking can result in very quick deaths. The enemy may have a potion to clear debuffs and could just as easily turn around and kick your teeth down your throat.

It may not be entirely rock/paper/scissors fair but there are many ways to fight or at least break off in almost every scenario. You may not kill the enemy but you will have a good time regardless. Some of my most memorable fights are ones I lost. Still had a great time.

People duel all the time. 1 v 1 mostly but 2 v 2, 3 v 3, 5 v 5 are common with larger clans practicing 10 v 10 or higher. Practice is a thing after all and betting on the outcome isn't unusual either ;)

Darkfall isn't the fairest of them all. Nor is it the prettiest. Though I would say once you learn how to play it is the most enjoyable combat experience.

Simply because my thoughts/choices/actions have such a dramatic effect on battle results. Gear/Stats/Skills can all be overcome in many ways.

Also that full loot system really pushes you to strive to be better. Even small scale fights can get my adrenaline pumping which never happens in other games. My hands might sweat but only darkfall can make me focus on breathing to calm down so my hands shake less so I can kill whoever I am fighting XD

bcbully said:

it's 2017. I really wished it looked better.

Yeah Darkfall the original was released in 2009 after 8 years in development under greek management. In the year of beta we've seen a geat many changes that effect core mechanics to improve new player experiences and quality of life overall but nothing on graphics which I'm afraid won't change for awhile yet.

BPG (new devs) have talked about updating graphics and want to overhaul everything but that takes alot of time and is not a simple thing because of the size of the world and how it was made. There is a long list of more important things that need attention so we won't be seeing graphics upgrades anytime soon but there is a publicly stated desire to get it done.

They only have a few artists atm and they are focused on new additions for now.

epoq said:

playerunknown's battlegrounds is the pvp game of choice nowadays. survival games are the new pvp trend, mmo PVP is mind numbing, yes even darkfall which is skill based.  hopefully Dark & Light (or another game like it) will be a good mix of pvp / survival so darkfall can finally be laid to rest 

MMO PvP is usually mind numbing I agree. Though in darkfall it's pretty damn exciting. I can overcome odds/situations that I could not in any other game. Adrenaline rushes are common for me in darkfall. In most games ye best I can get is sweaty hands in combat or survival games.

Its live now and lots of people!

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    lol, darkfail.... a place for rl virgins with no life
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited May 2017

there are so many old negative responses in this thread..

some people responding with.. BDO is far superieur then darkfall..

Ill will come with some facts about darkfall

- darkfall is free aiming like a fps.
    - server side physics
    - server side projectile calculations

how can people compare an mmo FPS with a crap game like bdo.. its not even comparable.

If you swing your sword in bdo.. there is 90 degrees cone arch, so basicly if a mob stand on your right side.. and you swing to the front.. you are hitting it.

darkfall on the other hand.. every sword in the game has a hitbox or collision dectection. whatever you may call it..
    what does that mean. if the point of your sword hits a player you do dmg. if you enemy is standing next you bingo.. no dmg.

Except that's stupid because that's not how a weapon works.

You want good PvP play Blade and Soul or even Wildstar.  BDO is okay, not nearly as smooth, responsive, or as much counter-play.

Mari2k said:

lol, darkfail.... a place for rl virgins with no life

Almost everyone in my clan is married... with kids... lol but okay

Today I had some of the funnest PVE that I have ever had!!! So excited to wake up tomorrow!

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    What relaunch version are we on....

That in itself tells that story.
  • MikeJTMikeJT Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Most PvP in MMO's is designed from the ground up by devs. Every possible combination and every possible attack and counter has already been pre-planned.

Darkfall is more like...

"Here's a bunch of tools you can use to kill your enemy. You figure out how to use them."
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Darkfall is about wolves and sheep.

My experience is that people are promoting this type of pvp, because time invested gives you an advantage; more skillpoints, more skills leveled, better gear. When they can run over another group, the game is fun. When the odds are even, the majority will avoid the fight.
    Sure a good pvp-er will stick to this game, but will acknowledge that a good challenge will become rarer the older the game gets as new players will not have an easy time to catch up. EVE has zones where the sheep can grow into the wolves, Darkfall hasn't. Well maybe when you want to skill up 5 months at the bloodwall inside some guild city.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    This site is literally the only place I ever see anything said about this mmo.  I ask, if it was so amazing.  Why are there not more articles about it on gaming sites or at the very least an advertisement or two?  The reality is, it's a niche game and I'm happy for those who are enjoying it.  But let's not act so pretentious and say things like "only real pvpers play this mmo".  That kind of hyperbole isn't helping your cause.  It just makes this mmo look like it's full of a bunch of toxic idiots.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    This is not a MMO FPS. Its an MMORPG FPS.  That is the problem. You can't just jump in and be on a level playing field. Because its a "level" playing field.
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Joke of the Day:
    World of Warcraft PvP is Real!

;)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    The only thing I don't like about RoA is everybody is friendly, which initially seemed like a good idea on paper but the "big bad reds" never come out to play unless their in big groups.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana, stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,stamina to hp, mana to stamina, hp to mana,

.......oh i've played DF, and i have experienced DF pvp.....  aint nobody got time for that!
  • Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    You aren't a real PvP'er unless you play >>insert mmorpg that isn't even remotely balanced here<<

Real PvP'ers don't take MMORPG's seriously. Play league of legends or CS:GO.
    That is like such a retarted argument. That's like saying to a horror movie that they should watch romantic tragedy movies because horror movies suck and romantic tragedies are better at displaying human tragedy. Like wtf are you talking about? 

I love classic Alterac Valley, I love battlegrounds, I love Warhammer online, DAOC and Cyrodill in ESO. 

I hate CS:GO, RB6S and similar games. I tried it, but it's not for me. It's boring to me to no end. The only FPS I kind of like is Battlefront 2 because guess what, that one actually feels the most like an MMO to me. Why would I want to play a boring shooter when it's not the genre I even remotely like? Yes it has PVP but both horror movies and romantic tragedies have human tragedy in it but doesnt mean it's the same thing. 

And don't even get me started on League of Legends, I would rather have sex with a lawnmower then play that retarted ADHD induced shitfest. In fact I would probably even rather play something as disgusting as Fortnite over that.  
  • ziabatsuziabatsu Member UncommonPosts: 150
    The idea of Darkfall is great. The gameplay just sucks too hard. Hitboxes are fucked up, and won't even get stared on "scribbling", the style of shitty mouselook movement you use because strafing is broken (in a bad way). If the gameplay was fun, there would be a lot more players; even UO private servers have bigger communities. 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,516
    I wanna say something like "Real PVPers masterbate with Sandpaper and Drink Broken glass before beating the hell out of each other with real swords in a bloody arena of death for the amusement of no one but themselves"

But... yah.. Might give Darkfall a try.. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Multi-necro....of a Darkfall thread? 

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil