Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So you think you have experienced pvp and claim to be pvp'er but never actually tried darkfall?

Comments

• SeronysSeronys Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Wizardry said:
    Yes i claim to be a pvpr,likely before many even played a game online.
    Yes i have also played Darkfall.
    I cannot give an honest opinion to which MMO pvp is the best because i do not like pvp in a mmo setting,it is not a purest type pvp nor will a MMO ever offer the maximum skilled pvp i want.

Overwatch is closer to the pvp i want and i won't even play that game,so imagine how i feel about where Darkfall lies in the scale of 1-10 quality of pvp.

I believe what happened to cloud most minds in ALL genres,is they joined gaming when it became super diluted.I truly believe i got to play the BEST design for most genres FIRST,then that gave me a better understanding of what developers are doing.I know a LOT of people like to say things like "oh so and so might copy but they do it better",although that is possible,i have seen very little "doing it better" in latter designs.

I should also point out that DF is a bit too easy to cheat and tough to notice it.In pvp games i have played,i have a really good idea when someone is cheating.Why does this matter,well because the players can leave that server and go to a better server,where as in MMOS you are pretty much locked into the server no matter what.It also matters a lot because in general wide gaming,there is VERY little if any GM proactive work,however on private servers,the GM's are usually active and clamp down on cheating.

I only scratched the surface a very small bit as to why i am not interested in Darkfall pvp.

I can't really comment on Overwatch, because i refuse to give blizzard any money. Most PVP arena FPS though rely solely on twitch aim, who can get a headshot first.

This is why I love Darkfall, the time to kill is completely down to the skill of the player, it combines elements of twitch aim with elements of strategic thinking, which cooks up to the perfect test of player skill. Every fight is similar to a blitz chess game, except you have to aim where the pieces land :D
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    edited April 2017
    Overwatch.... lol..... looks like a kiddie game to me. Cartoon war? meh. Battlegrounds with maps to memorize so you know where to mindlessly launch projectiles nonstop because of how the objections are setup. The PVP looks like fail GW2 to me or Global Agenda but with funner FPS gameplay. The difference in Darkfall is that you aren't necessarily sworn to complete the objective and can wander, explore, hunt!, feel more like a ninja, and there are tons more buttons to push so its MUCH harder. When you do have a group, it feels more real, and every PVP encounter may be a unique story to tell.

Not sure who this thread is directed toward.  Darkfall has been out for about five years.  I am pretty certain that any player who has experienced pvp and claims to be a pvper has already tried darkfall.  If not, then it is pretty obvious that they are not the  pvp player that they claim to be.  

In other words, I think its pretty safe to presume that any pvper worth their merit has already tried Darkfall. Not unlike EVE, Darkfall has its niche.   Though any attempts to promote the game need not be begrudged, there is no need to delude oneself into thinking that five years later any additional promotional attempts will make any type of substantial difference in its player base. Darkfall is what it is.  It has a small loyal niche player base and that niche crowd is all it will ever have.  That is the predictable fate for any OWPvP game of its kind.  

Its been out 7+ years... lol

And seriously, sorry but no. The PVP that was Darkfall has gradually changed and improved making so you can compete without every spell unlocked but WOW is it fun with every spell unlocked!!! Makes everything funner.. just moving around and killing animals can be funner than logging into most games once you feel in control of your avatar. When you have configured everything and are fully warmed up and confident in your UI, there's honestly no other game that can give you that feeling of control. When I go to sleep at night I feel more in control of my dreams because of this game.... makes me feel more organized and like I have my shizzle together. I wish there were other games out there that allowed me to use every key on my keyboard like Darkfall does! Sure, the learning curve is harsh compared to watching your toon auto-attack while timing some button presses to make sure your floating numbers are high enough to win... while drinking mountain dew and eating cheetos and fast food. If you are not healthy in real life, Darkfall may actually kill you. It can get the heart racing more than any other game and it really seems to help me if I had worked out or eaten a bunch of spinach before going out to PVP while outnumbered.. it wasn't always like that. Took me about 3 years to unlock enough stuff and really learn the controls because I had a job and stuff. Its so much easier now with the changes and still retains the funnest controls possible in a video game in my opinion. Even FPS pros aren't necessarily that good... think about it, they memorize a map and then know where to camp and pop off people the easiest and then rack up the Godlike status once they have figured how to twitch a split second faster than others. Darkfall provides much more challenge overall, and theres so much more things to consider that race through your brain compared to other FPS. Huge map... LOTS of spells and options. Anything you can see in the game you can go on or use in battle somehow. Most people experienced Darkfall when it was broken in comparison to how it is today.

If you think you have experienced this game when you logged in 2009 and couldn't kill a goblin because cruel players kept jumping in front of you and killing you... and then made it to the safety of a clan city and had some sieges.... well that was just brushing up and getting started really.

I'm stoked for launch!!! Finally I will have time to play without a job lol.. won't feel as outnumbered and outranked as much, but that was good practice because I still did great because I practiced as much as I could when I logged in.

I'm going to be eating mostly vegetable diet.. running up and down 4 flights of stairs every smoke break.. fixing my schedule to wake up everyday.... working out... stretching breaks. Have to do these things so I don't get as much adrenaline when outnumbered, etc. I also will have to quit drinking almost completely.. all for a video game..!?! lol lemme tell you the OCD and preparing for the worst in this game really helps real life skills.

That's what makes this game loads funner than Unholy Wars... and now with the new alignment changes its going to be mostly carebear, I guarantee it. Now if you want to avoid PVP it will be easyyyyYY! Red players will be so much more challenged than before that I doubt anyone will do it for at least a month. I really want to. Really bad... but.... too afraid its going to set me back from skill gains. The blues will get ahead. It depends on what others are doing really..... if nobody is red I will be more likely to be. I love the feeling of being outnumbered and in danger.

Wow that was a rant.. but damn! No other video game like this one!! Don't miss this launch. Even playing the beta without much PVP and carefree attitude the game is still fun because there's a lot of PVE that is still new to me even though I never quit this game.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    edited April 2017
    Distopia said:
    If DF is the best game for PVP at present,  that explains a lot about why I no longer partake in PVP in MMORPGs.....I'd rather just play a Survival game. Much less of a mindless PVE grind to get to the good part...
    The good part... the good part... the good part... let me tell you the best part is how it feels once you are completely comfortable with your setup and know how to make your character do things without having to think about it or look down at your keyboard. This can be a constant feeling so long as you are willing to revamp your controls and rethink your setup every few once in awhile. You can honestly find your grove in just a few days if you work at it. That is the best part of this game by far.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    A dead game that died due to lack of pvp and not once but twice.....I might add the people making this re-release were known exploiters/cheaters/hackers/scammers and overall dicks....I'll pass on a 3rd time thanks....

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    DMKano said:
    Oh look a thread from Nov of last year!

I have experienced much better PvP in other games.

Why? Darkfall combat is terrible.

Darkfall combat sucks with the stupid 180 degree swing around melee combat, its beyond dumb

Just my 2c

Have you even Darkfalled bro?

:p 

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    If Darkfall is so good why are there not more people playing it? If it's so great word would spread. But it's not very good, it's kinda mediocre. And guess what? Everyone knows it.

And as for this "you aren't a PvP er if you don't play our game" BS. Nothing more than an opinion, and you know what they say about opinions...
    Excession
  • TarbloodTarblood Member UncommonPosts: 98
    That all opinions have layers?

RAWR

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Silly.  While I enjoyed Darkfall, not everyone who enjoys PvP needs to try any specific game.  There are many styles of PvP play and no single style is the best.  It's all a matter of your personal preference.
    MrMelGibson

I self identify as a monkey.

• shawnpatshawnpat Member UncommonPosts: 74
    in other words... its an open world where you can overgear and outlvl the competition..... if you can buy anything to help you, I don't wanna go near it
  • grumbagzgrumbagz Member UncommonPosts: 35
    edited April 2017
    shawnpat said:
    in other words... its an open world where you can overgear and outlvl the competition..... if you can buy anything to help you, I don't wanna go near it
    Not sure what you mean by being able to buy anything to help you, but while a max'd character has an advantage over a brand new character and a pretty big one if were to come down to a 1v1, what you said is pretty far from the truth. There are quite a few systems that reduce the gap between new characters and leveled ones, which help new chracters very rapidly become viable. Along with that gear is far from what is going to decide who wins a fight. That's not to say gear isn't important because people want every advantage they can get but I personally have seen a number of examples of people wearing full dragon (Highest end gear) and losing to people in robes (offers almost no protections and is extremely cheap). 

Even then, assuming a competent player with a newish character and low end gear, your concerns would only really be highlighted in 1v1s and would be must less noticeable if not non-existent in small group pvp or anything bigger. Which is the real meat and potatoes to ROA.
    vonryan123 said:
    A dead game that died due to lack of pvp and not once but twice.....I might add the people making this re-release were known exploiters/cheaters/hackers/scammers and overall dicks....I'll pass on a 3rd time thanks....

I'd argue that DFO and DFUW died due to the mismanagement of it. Example being not patching for the last 2-3 years of DFO's life even with quite a few players. BPG, the company that's launching ROA soon has patched roughly 30ish times I want to say since they put out the alpha and beta and have shown no signs of stopping post launch. But I'm interested in who these exploiters/cheaters/hackers/scammers are? I played DFO for multiple years and couldn't give you an example of any of the BPG staff being any of the things you claim, in fact, a couple of them were well know middlemen for big trades during DFO.

TL:DR I encourage anyone even remotely interested in the game or criticizing it to check out what BPG has changed, fixed and still has in store for ROA, because there's a ton of old or misinformation in this thread.
    Post edited by grumbagz on
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    By now anyone who wanted to has probably tried the game, its a niche game that even in terms of PVP'ers does not have mass appeal, its also dated, tbh, the PVP in BDO is far superior to anything you can find in DF as despite everything, the game never really evolved, nor were the games weaknesses ever really addressed, and with so many PVP orientated games available, its probably no surprise that DF has fallen on even harder times, and like Everquest, its an old game that only die hard fans of the game are likely keeping alive, persuading others to go back and play it however, is unrealistic, players, like the times, has moved on. :o
    MrMelGibson
  • NasirJNasirJ Member UncommonPosts: 164
    Rhoklaw said:
    Didn't people used to hack the crap out of Darkfall back in the day? Like blatantly obvious hacks? Because no one cared anymore, not even the Devs?
    Yes many was banned, also if you do not use auto hotkey you are at a severe disadvantage. Just look at the pvp videos and watch the spells cycle without even being on the hotbar. That is autohotkey, cycle all spells with E and Q. Unless ofc I am completely wrong and this revamp included spell cycle into the game.
  • PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Dam this Vaporware is still around.. :p What this the third time? hehe Cant be that good for a PVP game.

I retired retroactively..Haha

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Darkfall always looked like bunny hopping aim bot mess to me. Never felt like the combat had risk versus reward meta. Plus it looked absolutely terrible IMO.

Pass then, pass now.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited April 2017
    I feel like I've gone back in time reading this thread.

It's like the pre-launch days of the original DF all over again.

People going to forums, beating their chests about how you're only experiencing "real PvP", or you're "only a real PvP'er" if you play Darkfall".

Anyone else still around here who remembers that?

Let's see how else history repeats itself.

And by the by, "PvP" does not apply only to any one kind of game.  It certainly doesn't apply only to MOBAs, as some are claiming here. Considering it was a thing in MMORPGs before MOBAs even existed, it's really kind of a silly claim to make.

PvP means "Player versus Player" and that's all it means. After that it's just the style of PvP/gameplay. Open World PvP in a MMO, MOBAs, Deathmatch, Battlegrounds... those are all PvP. They're just played in a different format, with different rules and objectives.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I feel like I've gone back in time reading this thread.

It's like the pre-launch days of the original DF all over again.

People going to forums, beating their chests about how you're only experiencing "real PvP", or you're "only a real PvP'er" if you play Darkfall".

Anyone else still around here who remembers that?

Let's see how else history repeats itself.
    Yes, i think there was one around the time DF:UW was a thing too, there is a certain amount of deja'vu to the thing. :o
  • HerbinLegendHerbinLegend Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Darkfall always looked like bunny hopping aim bot mess to me. Never felt like the combat had risk versus reward meta. Plus it looked absolutely terrible IMO.

Pass then, pass now.
    This about sums it up for me ... I liked the game, but not enough to deal with the excessive bunny hopping or the auto-spell cycling. 

@NasirJ They fixed the cycling issues, it's built into the UI now, which is cool if you're into that sort of thing.

Can't get my pen to write in this space.

• SeronysSeronys Member UncommonPosts: 51
    edited April 2017
    shawnpat said:

Lmao. Good luck. The grind has been severely reduced, and if you think Darkfall PVP was ever about outleveling your opponent, you didnt play it except at that garbage launch where everything was imbalanced and people exploited to max their characters. Those days are long gone.

Rhoklaw said:
    Didn't people used to hack the crap out of Darkfall back in the day? Like blatantly obvious hacks? Because no one cared anymore, not even the Devs?
    Those days are long gone.
    NasirJ said:
    Yes many was banned, also if you do not use auto hotkey you are at a severe disadvantage. Just look at the pvp videos and watch the spells cycle without even being on the hotbar. That is autohotkey, cycle all spells with E and Q. Unless ofc I am completely wrong and this revamp included spell cycle into the game.
    Autohotkey has been phased out, inbuilt macro systems (like any MMO), have been put in place. You play the game to your playstyle however you want it.

Also just because a spell changes without being on the hotbar doesn't mean it's autohotkey, there are such things as binding abilities to certain keys on your keyboard.

Darkfall PVP combines aspects of FPS and strategical thinking making it one of the highest skill cap, most intense PVP games, top that pie with some Full Loot cream and you have the making of something truly special. Every fight counts, whether it'd be for the reputation of being a good player, or to save your precious pixel, you claw and scrape for survival in every engagement. It's PVP is like no other.

The game is practically on E-Sport level, the only thing it's missing is a queued arena and ranking system.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2017
    I'm not a PvPer but when i want intense PvP i invade some people in Dark Souls, play For Honor, or any fighting game. DF never appealed to me, no matter how good that game may be.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I played both a lot, and Darktide >>>> Darkfall
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    there are so many old negative responses in this thread..

some people responding with.. BDO is far superieur then darkfall..

Ill will come with some facts about darkfall

- darkfall is free aiming like a fps.
    - server side physics
    - server side projectile calculations

how can people compare an mmo FPS with a crap game like bdo.. its not even comparable.

If you swing your sword in bdo.. there is 90 degrees cone arch, so basicly if a mob stand on your right side.. and you swing to the front.. you are hitting it.

darkfall on the other hand.. every sword in the game has a hitbox or collision dectection. whatever you may call it..
    what does that mean. if the point of your sword hits a player you do dmg. if you enemy is standing next you bingo.. no dmg.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited April 2017
    Escape from Tarkov

That is all.

• BranXBranX Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Wizardry.. they just implemented an anti cheat program.. there will be no cheating in this game.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

BranX said:

Wizardry.. they just implemented an anti cheat program.. there will be no cheating in this game.

AhahahahaahAHHA Ahr hhhh omg ... .. wait .. wai t... Hhahahahhahahhah   offs im cryin ....   lmfao .. AHahahahhahaha  fuggin   ...... ribs .......hahahhaha   ...hurt ... stop it ....
    Excession[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • Avenging_MartyrAvenging_Martyr Member UncommonPosts: 11
    edited April 2017

Scorchien said:

BranX said:

AhahahahaahAHHA Ahr hhhh omg ... .. wait .. wai t... Hhahahahhahahhah  
    offs im cryin ....   lmfao .. AHahahahhahaha  fuggin   ...... ribs
    .......hahahhaha   ...hurt ... stop it ....

Sorry for the necro of this but I'm trying to talk about the current state of Darkfall. While noone can truly say hacking is impossible it is MUCH harder to pull off in Darkfall than it ever was before.

There are far more ways to catch and ban cheaters/hackers. Darkfall Rise of Agon isn't the same Darkfall we all knew under the original bad management.

BPG has done alot more than just add a anti-cheat (Which is decent one used in many modern titles) First off the orignal devs had no idea about game security. My god they left character stats/skill charts client side.

So BPG has moved many things server side, restructured parts of the code to prevent easy access for those familiar with the past setup. Created a system to monitor for strange changes in items or characters. To track and deal with abrupt skill/stat boosts via cheats or item duping.

All in all shows a serious commitment to preventing cheaters from having free reign like we saw in the long distant past under former management who didn't care.

shawnpat said:

Hi I'm trying to clear up some misconceptions regarding Rise of Agon.

Skillgrind has been worked down alot in the RoA beta.

Frontloading skills and stats is beyond huge to prevent crazy grinding. As the graphs available within this link will show you https://www.darkfallriseofagon.com/news/patch-notes/patch-notes-august-5th-2016/

This greatly reduces the grind needed to be combat viable. Many skills/spells have reduced requirements and some by major amounts compared to the past and many passives were removed (maxed and given instantly so benefit is there but no need to grind them)

The new scrolls creation system. With the right materials you can craft scrolls for any spell and get what you want raised up if you have the materials or money/items to buy/trade it from others. A skill Manuel system is in the works for melee/archery skills as well.Of course friends or veterans could give/support whomever they wish with scrolls for key spells like heals, heal others, buffs ect.

The current mediation system can raise skills/stats while online or offline as well.There are faster default gains on skills and stats when compared to any past version of Darkfall.Gear has also gone through a complete overhaul and adjustments will surely be made in the near future. Many crafting requirements have changed, Armor and Weapon stats have changed.

And BPG is doing a complete Loot Table overhaul which is planned to be implemented before launch so not even the vets or beta players will know what exactly will drop where.

Even as we speak there is a heated discussion on the RoA forum regarding access to gear and availability and reliance on it ect and the devs comment on things. They read and respond and nothing is set in stone.

TL;DR You can't buy an advantage. Darkfall doesn't require 40 hours a week to be competitive anymore.

Join us on May 5th for 10$ no one will hold an advantage in stats, skills or gear.

Post edited by Avenging_Martyr on