Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DnL want a shop, set one up anywhere!!! [LEAKED New Video MOUNTED OGRE + Bronto farming stones + UI

Comments

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited November 2016
    Ark got to far with survival mechanics .... per day your toon eats around few 1000 kg of berries and  few thousands L of water     stupid and not realistic  and very annoying in the beginning !  Realistic would he like in Real life  ....

1000 people on Ark map would suck a lot especially in a PVP server .... forget the RPG factor game will become a death match ....and those who will form a big organized group will dominate all and kill the server in a matter of weeks

for 1000 player you would need at least 10 time bigger map than those of Ark . Other wise  Game will be just a Death Match rampage ....and in Survival it suck as you have to put lot of time into it  ....

And don't tell i'm Wrong look at Ark Servers that release  first weeks 70/70 after 1 month 40 30 20 .... sudden;ly you find out on the server is a big Asian tribe who raids every one even those who just started the game ...
    And that's it server dead ..
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited November 2016
    DMKano said:
    Dragnelus said:

Closer the launch we getting more info and seems it will be a survival game.

Seems?

It is a survival game - there is no "seems" about it - have you not read the interview on this very site?

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/11190/Professions-PvE-PvP-Servers-Tameable-Mounts-More.html

How many MMO features does one have to add to a "survival game" before it can be considered more of a "MMO" with survival features?

There have been MMORPGs wirh survival features before, we called them "sandboxes"

I think the lines might be somewhat blurry here.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2016
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Dragnelus said:

Closer the launch we getting more info and seems it will be a survival game.

Seems?

It is a survival game - there is no "seems" about it - have you not read the interview on this very site?

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/11190/Professions-PvE-PvP-Servers-Tameable-Mounts-More.html

How many MMO features does one have to add to a "survival game" before it can be considered more of a "MMO" with survival features?

There have been MMORPGs wirh survival features before, we called them "sandboxes"

I think the lines might be somewhat blurry here.

Not for me - if I have to run around collecting berries as a base mechanic for the game - I know I am playing a survival game.

If they replace guns with swords and replace zombies with fantasy creatures - and I have to run around to collect food and water again as base gameplay - it's still a survival game.

So lets say it's 80% survival game mechanics - 20% MMO mechanics - still a survival game IMO

If DnL turns out to be like 80% MMO and 20% survival - you'll have a point, but I think it's the other way around.

I mean - from the interview "based around modern survival games" - to me this tells me that the base game is in fact a survival game, and then they incorporated some MMO elements.

Otherwise he would say "based around MMO games with some survival elements" right?
    I'd say the defining element is whether death means a loss of progression, gear etc, Permadeath basically.

If this has it, survival game for sure.

Besides  required eating and drinking which some sandbox MMORPGS have used for years what other features do you think define a survival game?

Full looting perhaps? Does this game have it? How will that work on the PVE server? How is it much different from corpse runs in EQ if you can respawn and loot youself. 

Or L2 where others can loot you if they get there 1st?

Blurry I tell you.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Well it is for EA, so the cap could go up. I'm not going to complain about it.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Weirdly enough this being a survival game with MMO elements has me more interested then had this just been an MMO. 1000 people on a server really isn't all that bad tbh. With all the instancing going on in most modern MMOs I would be surprised if the cap is much higher in these games.

Wasn't interested in this before, color me intrigued now. Time for something different!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• xdave78xdave78 Member UncommonPosts: 106
    edited November 2016
    Ark got to far with survival mechanics .... per day your toon eats around few 1000 kg of berries and  few thousands L of water     stupid and not realistic  and very annoying in the beginning !  Realistic would he like in Real life  ....

It is by far more realistic, than taming dinos, right? Or wielding fireballs around...soo...

So if you want sth realistic,perhaps get a garden and craft sth in real. Maybe you´d be surprised how much water you can drink and how hungry you can be when moving around ;) (especially when all you have is berries)
    10 years ago most games had server capacity of 5k  Gw2 has even lower population on each map because Server is a big cloud any ways .....

1000 players is nice but the best part is that you will have to be a Decent person because in such small servers people get to know each other quite fast .
    xdave78 said:

It is by far more realistic, than taming dinos, right? Or wielding fireballs around...soo...

So if you want sth realistic,perhaps get a garden and craft sth in real. Maybe you´d be surprised how much water you can drink and how hungry you can be when moving around ;) (especially when all you have is berries)
    Dude it's not only  about the fact that is unrealistic is also extremely boring and stupid  and after all we play a Dino Fantasy game we we should spend hours picking up berries or grass .  For me that is a poor game design .
    edited November 2016
    10 years ago most games had server capacity of 5k  Gw2 has even lower population on each map because Server is a big cloud any ways .....

1000 players is nice but the best part is that you will have to be a Decent person because in such small servers people get to know each other quite fast .
    Assuming you are able to log into the same server everytime.

Not sure how they will manage the server cap issue.  People will be unhappy if they can't play with their friends, or if stuck in long queues.

edited November 2016
    Ingame screenshot:

Post edited by Dragnelus on

edited November 2016
    - - Double post --

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    you can eat your own poo in ark if you are desperate for food

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Whats interesting is I've not seen any screenshots with any characters in it, player or npc, mostly just landscapes.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    I'm ok with 1000 people per server for such a huge world.

My idea of a "world" is that there are areas where there are a lot of people and there are areas where one can just get lost and explore. So far the game is a "buy" for me.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited November 2016
    Sovrath said:
    I'm ok with 1000 people per server for such a huge world.

My idea of a "world" is that there are areas where there are a lot of people and there are areas where one can just get lost and explore. So far the game is a "buy" for me.
    Also since they are offering a PVE only option they really can't muck it up too much with onerous cash shop practices.

Now, as long as the "survival" mechanics don't require me to manufacture a steady supply of toilet paper I should enjoy this game. ;)

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited November 2016
    DMKano said:
    That's my least favorite aspect of most survival games, Ark took it too far.
    We know about a typical 1.500 daily calorie diet.  But that is for a barely active individual.  Based on the level of activity in a survival game calorie consumption can be as high as 3k or even 6k.  A cup of berries is 150g and 90 calories.  For a day (1.500c/90c)x150g = 2.500g, that's eating a cup of berries ~17 times.  What is eating 1.000 kg of berries, (1.000 kg / 0,15 kg)  = 6.666 meals a day.  Come on, you're not eating that many times, just looked up the data on the game wiki.  (1.000 kg / 0.1 kg) = 10.000 meals a day.  At ~2 food per berry, that's  20.000 food.  if you have 100 point of hunger that's recovering hunger 200 times a day.  Are you replenishing your hunger bar 200x a day, or more like 10x?  

If it is 200x then I can agree they have their numbers off.  But I think it is more like 10x and I think it is realistic and players can't tolerate realism.  They WANT easy mode.  I have played Ark since April I think.  Doe these numbers make any sense to those playing now?  Truefully how much are you eating?  Berries are the least effective food, but easiest to get.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

Konfess said:
    DMKano said:
    We know about a typical 1.500 daily calorie diet.  But that is for a barely active individual.  Based on the level of activity in a survival game calorie consumption can be as high as 3k or even 6k.  A cup of berries is 150g and 90 calories.  For a day (1.500c/90c)x150g = 2.500g, that's eating a cup of berries ~17 times.  What is eating 1.000 kg of berries, (1.000 kg / 0,15 kg)  = 6.666 meals a day.  Come on, you're not eating that many times, just looked up the data on the game wiki.  (1.000 kg / 0.1 kg) = 10.000 meals a day.  At ~2 food per berry, that's  20.000 food.  if you have 100 point of hunger that's recovering hunger 200 times a day.  Are you replenishing your hunger bar 200x a day, or more like 10x?  

If it is 200x then I can agree they have their numbers off.  But I think it is more like 10x and I think it is realistic and players can't tolerate realism.  They WANT easy mode.  I have played Ark since April I think.  Doe these numbers make any sense to those playing now?  Truefully how much are you eating?  Berries are the least effective food, but easiest to get.
    LOL at the research you did
    you can Stay 5 hours with not food intake BUT !only if you stay still

Running Sprinting  COLLECTING STUFF Temperatures Injuries will increase you Food and Thirst draining by a lot !
    So what do we see in common with the character creation screen?  Neck Size, Neck Length, Shoulder Width, and Chest Size are the same.  Now I'm not an 3D Character Model Artist, but I get a feeling as a Programmer that both games are using the same tool and or library for character models.  So get it in y'alls head, development depends on using third party tools.  Everyone can't rediscover the wheel every time they make a game.  This is more a learning experience for how games are made, rather than catching someone doing something dishonest.

If I memorized data or api structures I could tell you what was being reused.  But I don't, so I can't.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Konfess said:

If it is 200x then I can agree they have their numbers off.  But I think it is more like 10x and I think it is realistic and players can't tolerate realism.  They WANT easy mode.
    There's challenging and fun and challenging and not fun.

I don't think lowering the amount of times one has to eat is "easy mode". Nor is it "challening/hard mode".

There's also a difference between eating a cup of strawberries and a cup of mulberries. Meaning that in a fictitious world there very well could be "berries" that have more nutrients that allow one to eat less.

I think the important thing is to have the need to eat and drink.

For me it is reminiscent of the iNeed mod in Skyrim.

When I installed it I found I was eating all the time. I would be in a dungeon, eat, and a few minutes later have to eat again. After a while it became annoying.

I had to lower all the settings so that I still needed to eat but that it wouldn't interrupt the flow of a dungeon delve.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited November 2016
    Konfess said:
    DMKano said:

Running Sprinting  COLLECTING STUFF Temperatures Injuries will increase you Food and Thirst draining by a lot !
    And it should, by a lot.  That's what I meant by higher activity cost more calories.  I've just been informed by a true calorie expert that the typical calorie consumption per day is 3.500 (when they should be eating 2.500-1.500).  My point is, they do research.  How much energy is need to sprint 100 meter, how much energy is need to assemble a floor, four walls, a door, and a roof.  Gamers aren't whining because its excessive, they are whining because it's realistic.

I didn't ask how long one could play without food or drink, but how much is the game making you really take?

Konfess said:
    Konfess said:
    DMKano said:

And it should, by a lot.  That's what I meant by higher activity cost more calories.  I've just been informed by a true calorie expert that the typical calorie consumption per day is 3.500 (when they should be eating 2.500-1.500).  My point is, they do research.  How much energy is need to sprint 100 meter, how much energy is need to assemble a floor, four walls, a door, and a roof.  Gamers aren't whining because its excessive, they are whining because it's realistic.

I didn't ask how long one could play without food or drink, but how much is the game making you really take?
    Wrong
    To do all the activity I mentioned you will need around 20 pieces of meat and that is consumed in about 40 minutes of active farming without Dinos . It has nothing to to with reality not to mention the quantity of water while sprinting under high temperature.
    It basically drain by seconds in about 1 min it will be 0 ....

This conversation don't make sens I'm out  Mmmk? Fine

Looks to be an amazing world, thanks for the new shots