Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-CU players I need your help !!

Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
So I've been disconnected from the MMO world for the past 6 years or so..

Moved abroad to study / work at the time and had other priorities then... yada, yada. After Pre-CU (RIP) I played VG-SOH, PotBS, AoC... Had an eye on GW2 at the time which I see is still alive and kicking..

Anyway Im all settled in got a new gaming rig and began doing some research on the current titles. 

So Im looking for a relatively new MMO to call home again. I see sandbox is back to being popular (about time) but most of the titles that have caught my eye are still in early stages of development (Chronicles of Elyria, Star Citizen, Pantheon - RotF ??)... Obviously had a look at Crowfall but I get the feeling that game will blow up in their faces for some reason.

Anyhow, they are all years away. So what are you guys playing? Any "recent" title from 2015/16 worth checking out? As much as I have been tempted to, I can't play BDO due to region restrictions (and can't be asked to use a VPN).

Thanks guys for any clues! 

Comments

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Pre-CU player myself. I've never been able to find a replacement for SWG. The closest I got was in Everquest2, but I would not suggest that at all now. That said, I've had other good experiences since.

Guild Wars 2 is great for a casual PvE experience. Have played that for 3 years extensively. There always was a fair bit of stuff to do. As far as I know, the free trial lets you experience most of the base content. That should give you a good idea of whether you like it or not. There are people who love it and people who hate it. The content is packaged into casual bite-sized chunks, loosely tied together.

Elder Scrolls Online has been getting a lot of good press. It is very story driven, focused on PvE and exploration. It is unlike any other game out there. It almost feels like a blend of a single player RPG with some MMO features. They recently opened all of the content to players regardless of levels - no clue how that change was received, but it might be worth checking out.

Albion Online was recommended to me by a few MMORPG.com members. It's close to Ultima Online and fairly close to SWG - in the sense that it is a social experience. It's heavy on open PvP, crafting and trading. There are guilds and instanced "housing" islands. It's still in a beta with one or more wipes incoming. I would not recommend it yet, but it's worth keeping an eye out on.

Crowfall is directly inspired by SWG. I'm personally looking forward to it. If they manage to put together some basic experience, it might be interesting. The promise of timelimited worlds could keep it fresh. Unlike some early access games, they seems to be progressing constantly. I am cautiously optimistic about that one.

A lot of people picked up WoW Legion. I assume it's good if you enjoy the format. I could not get into it personally.

SWTOR is also doing very well. They are releasing regular story-driven content updates. It is very close to WoW in terms of gameplay. Not that close to SWG, but the theme is obviously the same.

Shroud of the Avatar was very underwhelming. Was hoping that would be a game in the spirit of SWG. It has some design issues and the population is abysmal.
  • Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    edited October 2016
    Thank you laxie for the heads up and taking the time! 

as i feared it seems I returned in between two eras as it were... Old established titles on the one hand and promising new ones a few years or months away.

Ill definitely check Albion online! Thank you I hadn't heard of it. 

SWTOR its not for me, though. Haven't played it but I find its too focused on single player content with end game raids. looking for something more interactive. 

GW2 seems the way to go for now, even though its a few years old already. Ill give it a go. Thanks again! 

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    So far the only thing that gave me that feel was Albion Online but I am waiting for the launch now.  The game could use more depth  but is fun IF you interact.  I mostly don't have a tonne of time and usually stick to myself or a small group but that game makes me want to join a guild etc.

TESO and GW2 just never grabbed me.  I don't have the time to get really social in most games that require longer amounts of time to accomplish things.   

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

when is it launching? just checked the site and i see its final beta. 

Is it possible to play the beta now?

thanks!
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited October 2016
    Troneas said:
    when is it launching? just checked the site and i see its final beta. 

Is it possible to play the beta now?

thanks!
    You can play the beta with the lowest pledge package. It is $30, giving you beta access, premium for a month and $10 worth of in-game currency. If you'd like to use my referral link, you can do so here.

As far as I know, they haven't announced a final release date. They usually announce stuff right before it happens. People expect a few more months of testing. It's a very specific game, so I'd suggest looking at some videos and seeing if you like the format.

The positives (from my perspective) are the economy. The goods you sell are listed in the town you are. The resources are distributed unevenly. So you can do stuff like buying Iron in a town next to a mine, then haul it to the woods where they don't have any. Your skills grow as you use the relevant tools, similar to SWG in that respect.

The downside is that the zones are instanced, always a square and somewhat generic. The devs said they would be adding more variety into them though.

Out of all the games in development, this is one where you can be sure it gets released. It is already very playable.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I tend to keep an eye on what games a guild called KDS (Keepers of the Dark Side) are playing. They were the best guild on my SWG server (EU-Chimaera) and I've run into them in a few games since and they always kick ass. They just seem to dominate nearly every game they play, but they have a very group-pvp focus. 

http://www.kdsguild.org/

They are currently playing WoW and Albion and are looking to set up in Crowfall too. I'm hoping they'll head to Camelot Unchained too, in which case I'll aim to get on their server (though, I'm not hardcore enough for their actual guild). 
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Try SWG-Emu Bloodfin server.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited October 2016
    Distopia said:

Just out of curiosity, are there many people playing?

I don't have a DVD drive any more !!  Can you access the server without the disk?

Have they managed to finish it?

Thanks again for the suggestions!
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Troneas said:
    Distopia said:

Just out of curiosity, are there many people playing?

I don't have a DVD drive any more !!  Can you access the server without the disk?

Have they managed to finish it?

Thanks again for the suggestions!
    YEah BF server is usually fairly active. For the client just use google, it's not hard to find, make sure it's pre-publish 9. I'd link it but that's a no no. As for the state of development, Bfin server is a good mix of old and new, with some original work in terms of planets and content. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RottsteinRottstein Member UncommonPosts: 66
    I've been playing a game still in alpha called Project: Gorgon.  It is free to access for now until it goes on steam early release.

It is quite fleshed out and has a ton of things to do and level up.  It has a very old school feel to it.
  • BarbieBoyBarbieBoy Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I don't know guys. I haven't played pre-CU. I'm into mobile gaming lately. But, I  felt the power of the "Force" on this one. It's name is MU Origin and the empire of metal balrog and kundun is always lurking around the corner. I only hope they have a pet that looks like master yoda. Peace bro!!! May the force be with you, as always.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I noticed some resale shops carry used computer games, may be able to pick up a cheap set of SWG disks there.  Ebay also but you have to hunt for a deal.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Jill52Jill52 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    You may want to look into The Repopulation.  It is supposed to be similar to old SWG in many ways from what I heard.  Unfortunately the developers had issues with their game engine and are currently rebuilding it in a different engine. Since they had to do this shortly after early access started there are alot of people unsatisfied with how things turned out. Since pre-CU SWG-like games are rare, it might still be worth watching to see if the new engine release goes well.