Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Devs Continue To Tease Sombra Character - Overwatch News

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageDevs Continue To Tease Sombra Character - Overwatch News

One of the most enduring mysteries over the last couple of months is the next Overwatch character. Blizzard has been teasing out information about Sombra by hiding messages in coded text found on teaser sites, in images and within the game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

DMKano said:

ah the good ol "lets string them along for free hype" marketing.

This is the go to strategy for every game company.

What?! What's wrong with teasing ? Please move on to your beloved games !

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited October 2016

DMKano said:

I'm very curious if I will ever see you post something other than marketing under any Blizzard news discussion. You see Blizz and bam! You're already starting to type marketing... 
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577

Nepheth said:

DMKano said:

I'm very curious if I will ever see you post something other than marketing under any Blizzard news discussion. You see Blizz and bam! You're already starting to type marketing... 

To be fair Blizzard's days of creativity and innovation are long gone, they are all about marketing nowadays, so I guess there isn't much else to talk about anyway.
    edited October 2016

josko9 said:

Nepheth said:

DMKano said:

To be fair Blizzard's days of creativity and innovation are long gone, they are all about marketing nowadays, so I guess there isn't much else to talk about anyway.

That is from YOUR point of view for sure, because in today's market, Blizzard add WAY more innovation then 90% of other companies.

If by innovation you mean reinventing the wheel, please look somewhere else.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    This Sombra thing has been pretty hilariously sadistic. It's been going on for months. At one point there was a month long countdown on a site. After the "downloading" percentage increased by like .3 per day, a month later the only thing that happened was it said "bastion unit has been compromised". This led people to notice that Bastion blinks in morse code in the new halloween skin "Sombra". Then it was discovered that he beeps in morse code while looking at a panel in the Dorado map. When you input the code into a "Vinegere Cipher", it gave us the new website, which was full of tricks and clues. It looks like it's all meant as backstory to the Dorado map and Sombra. Sombra is supposed to attack Dorado Nov 1st, but it's not clear whether that means she'll be introduced as a character or what.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

This Sombra thing has been pretty hilariously sadistic. It's been going on for months. At one point there was a month long countdown on a site. After the "downloading" percentage increased by like .3 per day, a month later the only thing that happened was it said "bastion unit has been compromised". This led people to notice that Bastion blinks in morse code in the new halloween skin "Sombra". Then it was discovered that he beeps in morse code while looking at a panel in the Dorado map. When you input the code into a "Vinegere Cipher", it gave us the new website, which was full of tricks and clues.

It looks like it's all meant as backstory to the Dorado map and Sombra. Sombra is supposed to attack Dorado Nov 1st, but it's not clear whether that means she'll be introduced as a character or what.

That's actually pretty cool.
  • axtrantiaxtranti Member UncommonPosts: 95

IceAge said:

josko9 said:

Nepheth said:

DMKano said:

That is from YOUR point of view for sure, because in today's market, Blizzard add WAY more innovation then 90% of other companies.

Like overwatch? Kappa

asdasdasd

DMKano said:
    Nepheth said:

DMKano said:

It's not Blizzard - every game company does this - why?

Because it keeps players engaged and following their games - which means higher MAU - which directly translates into making more money.

Again this is a marketing strategy - replace Blizzard with any company - as they all do the same thing.

So bottom line - the reason why game companies do the tease marketing strategy = higher money making potential
    Yeah every company makes an ARG that spans months, using morse code and ciphers to tease new characters.  They lead you to websites with phone numbers to call that give recorded clues.  They alter the game with more clues.

Yep, that's what every game company does.  Just like every game company makes amazing games like Overwatch but they aren't as popular as Blizzard so their games aren't as popular.

Sure bro.
    DMKano said:

IceAge said:

josko9 said:

Nepheth said:

DMKano said:

Any data to backup your 90% claim?

Or are you just making stuff up?
    Yes! My own! I didn't say their innovation is the ultimate shit, but it's better then the "innovation" of other companies! 

Trion's innovation for exemple it's -1 compared to Blizzard. Want me to come up with data to back it up?! 

axtranti said:

IceAge said:

josko9 said:

Nepheth said:

DMKano said:

Like overwatch? Kappa
    Overwatch is VASTLY more innovative than the hundreds of WoW-clones that copied Blizzard's game...
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

This Sombra thing has been pretty hilariously sadistic. It's been going on for months. At one point there was a month long countdown on a site. After the "downloading" percentage increased by like .3 per day, a month later the only thing that happened was it said "bastion unit has been compromised". This led people to notice that Bastion blinks in morse code in the new halloween skin "Sombra". Then it was discovered that he beeps in morse code while looking at a panel in the Dorado map. When you input the code into a "Vinegere Cipher", it gave us the new website, which was full of tricks and clues.

It looks like it's all meant as backstory to the Dorado map and Sombra. Sombra is supposed to attack Dorado Nov 1st, but it's not clear whether that means she'll be introduced as a character or what.

Blizzard are really pushing on the Sombra reveal, haha. It reminds me a bit of the show Mr.Robot where each episode had lots of Easter Eggs like IP Addresses or encrypted messages that led to some teaser websites or revealed some clues. Sombra is a "hacker collective" much like F_Society was in Mr. Robot so perhaps they drew some inspiration from the show.

Here's hoping that Nov 1st will finally reveal the Sombra character (or leader of the Sombra hacker collective) . :p
    edited October 2016

DMKano said:

DMKano said:

Nepheth said:

DMKano said:

Because it keeps players engaged and following their games - which means higher MAU - which directly translates into making more money.

Again this is a marketing strategy - replace Blizzard with any company - as they all do the same thing.

So bottom line - the reason why game companies do the tease marketing strategy = higher money making potential

Yeah every company makes an ARG that spans months, using morse code and ciphers to tease new characters.  They lead you to websites with phone numbers to call that give recorded clues.  They alter the game with more clues.

Yep, that's what every game company does.  Just like every game company makes amazing games like Overwatch but they aren't as popular as Blizzard so their games aren't as popular.

Sure bro.

All of this has been done before - with morse codes and ciphers etc... Check out Mr. Robot and their teaser sites that have gone on for entire seasons

TSW had teasers with secret sequences that went on for 2 years prior to launch,the build an entire Secret Wars game prior to launch. etc...

Trove devs put in QR codes made out of black and white blocks burried deep underground in terrain that gave access to the game and other things

And the list goes on - 

Why have they all done this?

Promotion

Just like Blizzard.

Uh, yeah it's very obvious it's promotional. What's the point of saying that except to try to party poop on it because it's Blizzard and you don't like them currently?

This site often talks about promotional things. Why don't you go into all those threads and say, "This is promotional. Everyone does promotional things. I'm smart."

As for Tf2, I've seen gameplay footage and reasearched the game, and Overwatch appears to be very different. Certainly VASTLY more different than say WoW and Rift.

I haven't played it because at this point I have no desire to play what appears to me to be a 10 year old clusterfuck of a game.
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Yay another Shitty female toon o.o
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• GhalanGhalan Member UncommonPosts: 5

DMKano said:

DMKano said:

DMKano said:

Nepheth said:

DMKano said:

Sure bro.

All of this has been done before - with morse codes and ciphers etc... Check out Mr. Robot and their teaser sites that have gone on for entire seasons

TSW had teasers with secret sequences that went on for 2 years prior to launch,the build an entire Secret Wars game prior to launch. etc...

Trove devs put in QR codes made out of black and white blocks burried deep underground in terrain that gave access to the game and other things

And the list goes on - 

Why have they all done this?

Promotion

Just like Blizzard.

Uh, yeah it's very obvious it's promotional. What's the point of saying that except to try to party poop on it because it's Blizzard and you don't like them currently?

This site often talks about promotional things. Why don't you go into all those threads and say, "This is promotional. Everyone does promotional things. I'm smart."

As for Tf2, I've seen gameplay footage and the games appear to be very different. Certainly VASTLY more different than say WoW and Rift.

Overwatch is not vastly different than TF2.

Just like Rift is not vastly different than WoW

Just like WoW is not vastly different than EQ1

Just like EQ1 is not vastly different from DikuMUD

Blizzard was an innovative company in their beginnings - Diablo 1 and 2, Starcraft 1, early Warcraft - are all groundbreaking games IMO - this is when they were innovative.

Look at the last 10 years - Blizzards' games are all derivatives.

You'd think that a billion dollar company with 5000 employees would have the cash to risk creating something completely ground breaking?

Blizzard has been playing it safe for over a decade - but they've been making a TON of money - can't blame them as the formula is working for them.

Is this surprising - not in the least bit - this is what happens when you go from a small company - to a huge corporation - your focus shfits to money just like all large companies.

Innovation and groundbreaking vision in game industry is not in the realm of large companies - it's in the realm of indies and startups usually - which explains why Blizzards most innovative games came when they were a fraction of the size they are today.

So, have you never played EQ1 or have you never played WoW? If you have played them both, how the hell are you calling them similar? Is it because they're all MMORPGs, or do you just have no clue what you're talking about?