Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Sold My ‘Star Citizen’ Fleet To Finance a New Car

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
Quite an interesting article about the heady days of Star Citizen's grey market and all the idiocy that went on there - https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/i-sold-my-star-citizen-fleet-to-finance-a-new-car

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I thought this would be a Machiavellian story about how he wrangled the SC gray market of tens of thousands of dollars and bought a BMW M5 with it.  Instead he made enough to buy a beater with an interference engine and a timing belt time bomb.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Great story, nice find.

Kind of sad when you think about the willingness of people to throw money at digital goods.  I wonder how many people are buying digital goods instead of paying their rent or replacing bald tires on their cars.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2016
    I don't like the grey market at all. It's mostly malicious and motivated by greed alone, but admittedly this will happen no matter what.

Though this couldn't feel anymore made up and I already read some pretty messed up stories that did happen on the grey market; the "tip" one lol

Kill it with fire! :awesome:
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    MaxBacon said:
    I don't like the grey market at all. It's mostly malicious and motivated by greed alone, but admittedly this will happen no matter what.

Though this couldn't feel anymore made up and I already read some pretty messed up stories that did happen on the grey market; the "tip" one lol

Kill it with fire! :awesome:
    Unfortunately many things are motivated by greed :(

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2016
    Talonsin said:
    Great story, nice find.

Kind of sad when you think about the willingness of people to throw money at digital goods.  I wonder how many people are buying digital goods instead of paying their rent or replacing bald tires on their cars.
    The selling of virtual goods has been around for a long time. It wasnt uncommon to get a couple of grand depending on what your account had in games like Ragnarok Online or FFXI back when they were popular.
    Post edited by Albatroes on
  • AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Greed is like deciding which demon in the room is the real Devil...marketing is a huge misunderstood entity where true evil thrives. 
    FREE!
    FREE!
    FREE!

Buy will supplies last.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Talonsin said:
    Great story, nice find.

Not paying rent would eventually result in having no where to plug in and play... I doubt too many people have such an upside down set of priorities. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The star citizen ship mania has lots of things in common with the dutch tulip mania, its all about stepping out at the right time because when it all crashes down its not going to be pretty.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Meh, old stuff here.  I've seen accounts sell for thousands in Ultima Online.  Had I sold mine, I could have easily gotten as much.
    I think the OP is being sarcastic and venting that RSI (Star Citizen) was timely on the market but perversely late on development. I invested a coin into the game for development. In the end, I deleted the game from my computer.  
    The marketing was nothing less than genius. We read a story, created our own characters, and waited to find that dreams do not come true....I could have learned that at an earlier age.

7942 years later...

The game releases with real spaceships to command. Investment @ 60.00 month X 7942 = Buy a car now.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited October 2016
    DAS1337 said:
    Meh, old stuff here.  I've seen accounts sell for thousands in Ultima Online.  Had I sold mine, I could have easily gotten as much.

The first Jedi account in SWG went up on ebay for 10k. Most were around $1200 precu
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2016
    DAS1337 said:
    That's true.

If I ever have gotten on Grey Markets I would do thousands of dollars easy! And that's selling under the selling values I hear about this stuff plays out. That on accounts and stuff that I haven't even really spent money on.

Then the gold sellers also join the party, and hello to a whole market!
  • BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    I've seen WoW accounts sell ridiculously well all the way back in Vanilla. This is nothing new, and will continue after SC.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    All these "I have seen his before" comments a huge difference those were things in an actual game, I suspect many of the things this guy moved around were also jpegs of things that were not even pixels in a game that doesnt exist yet. Theyre just artwork of things that might be in a game that might eventually get made in some form or another.