Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'NMS Was a Mistake' - Dev Truth or Server Hack?

2

Comments

  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I agree on your general statement however on the specifics of multiplayer and NMS I do not.
    One news story long ago said there would be PVP in the game
    Sean said on TV that to see yourself another person would have to be looking at you
    Sean said in several interviews that people could interact together

    When denying multiplayer, Sean NEVER said multiplayer was not in the game.  He said "people looking for the multiplayer EXPERIENCE" would not find it.  Many people took that to mean because the universe was so big, that much of the time you would be alone but that there was some form of multiplayer in the game.

    For you to insinuate that no one should have expected multiplayer in some form after the number of times Sean specifically mentioned it on TV and in interviews is just silly. 
     at the point of purcahse when the transaction took place, I do not believe there are people who believed that there was multiplayer in the game at that time.
    How can you say that?  Just because you dug though enough information and made a decision to NOT think multiplayer was in the game has absolutely no bearing on what other people believed.

    "Will you be able to play with your friends?" Seans answer = "yeah" 
    1:12 into the video below
    https://youtu.be/cJ-tgaE37UE

    "Can you grief other players?"  Seans answer = "a little bit"
    (1:40 into the video above)

    Sean's words on Colbert show:
    "The only way for you to know what you look like is for someone else to see you"  (1:49 into the video above)

    Colbert asks Sean specifically
    "Can you run into other players in the game?"  Seans answer = "yes"
    (1:54 into the video above)

    How in the world you can say that you do NOT believe, there were people who thought that there was some form of multiplayer in that game at the time of purchase is nonsense.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2016
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I agree on your general statement however on the specifics of multiplayer and NMS I do not.
    One news story long ago said there would be PVP in the game
    Sean said on TV that to see yourself another person would have to be looking at you
    Sean said in several interviews that people could interact together

    When denying multiplayer, Sean NEVER said multiplayer was not in the game.  He said "people looking for the multiplayer EXPERIENCE" would not find it.  Many people took that to mean because the universe was so big, that much of the time you would be alone but that there was some form of multiplayer in the game.

    For you to insinuate that no one should have expected multiplayer in some form after the number of times Sean specifically mentioned it on TV and in interviews is just silly. 
     at the point of purcahse when the transaction took place, I do not believe there are people who believed that there was multiplayer in the game at that time.
    How can you say that?  Just because you dug though enough information and made a decision to NOT think multiplayer was in the game has absolutely no bearing on what other people believed.

    "Will you be able to play with your friends?" Seans answer = "yeah" 
    1:12 into the video below
    https://youtu.be/cJ-tgaE37UE

    "Can you grief other players?"  Seans answer = "a little bit"
    (1:40 into the video above)

    Sean's words on Colbert show:
    "The only way for you to know what you look like is for someone else to see you"  (1:49 into the video above)

    Colbert asks Sean specifically
    "Can you run into other players in the game?"  Seans answer = "yes"
    (1:54 into the video above)

    How in the world you can say that you do NOT believe, there were people who thought that there was some form of multiplayer in that game at the time of purchase is nonsense.
    nope...doesnt work for me

    sorry but Sean saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game.

    I dont believe you or anyone else thinks that there are people who when they bought the game thought that MP was in game and nothing you can say related to what Sean said before the date and hour of the games release will change that. nothing. peroid.

    'at the point of purchase' is extreemly important in this point

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,336
    edited October 2016
    He is in denial. It happens. We already had an entire week here posting links and showing how much he lied and never went back to apologize or correct himself - yet we still have people here clicking that button over and over again... How sad.

    As shown above, you need little to no time searching on google (nowadays) to find proof of that.

    The first wave of "it was the hype" was made by people either defending the game or just echoing that too lazy to research. That affected even famous reviewers.

    I listened to Co Optional Podcast (TotalBiscuit, Jesse Cox, Dodger) where, on launch, TB said it was a illusion thing... One week later on the same podcast he apologized and correct himself - because you could find (again, as shown above) that Sean in fact lied and said there was multiplayer. One of the main videos out there with all the story during development is his video. Also Jim Sterling's Jimquisition covered that up too - So did NMS's Angry Review of Angry Joe.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

    "There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2016
    Nyctelios said:
    He is in denial. It happens. We already had an entire week here posting links and showing how much he lied and never went back to apologize or correct himself - yet we still have people here clicking that button over and over again... How sad.

    As shown above, you need little to no time searching on google (nowadays) to find proof of that.

    The first wave of "it was the hype" was made by people either defending the game or just echoing that too lazy to research. That affected even famous reviewers.

    I listened to Co Optional Podcast (TotalBiscuit, Jesse Cox, Dodger) where, on launch, TB said it was a illusion thing... One week later on the same podcast he apologized and correct himself - because you could find (again, as shown above) that Sean in fact lied and said there was multiplayer. One of the main videos out there with all the story during development is his video. Also Jim Sterling's Jimquisition covered that up too - So did NMS's Angry Review of Angry Joe.
    I dont think I am getting thru

    YES I believe and understand 10000000% that MP was a game feature that was advertised to the people prior to the games release. I know that and I believe it, i see it, I get it.

    However,
    at
    the
    point
    of
    purchase

    I do not believe people believed MP was actively in the game. meaning August 9, 2016 no date before that counts to my point

    now please give it a rest already.

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I agree on your general statement however on the specifics of multiplayer and NMS I do not.
    One news story long ago said there would be PVP in the game
    Sean said on TV that to see yourself another person would have to be looking at you
    Sean said in several interviews that people could interact together

    When denying multiplayer, Sean NEVER said multiplayer was not in the game.  He said "people looking for the multiplayer EXPERIENCE" would not find it.  Many people took that to mean because the universe was so big, that much of the time you would be alone but that there was some form of multiplayer in the game.

    For you to insinuate that no one should have expected multiplayer in some form after the number of times Sean specifically mentioned it on TV and in interviews is just silly. 
     at the point of purcahse when the transaction took place, I do not believe there are people who believed that there was multiplayer in the game at that time.
    How can you say that?  Just because you dug though enough information and made a decision to NOT think multiplayer was in the game has absolutely no bearing on what other people believed.

    "Will you be able to play with your friends?" Seans answer = "yeah" 
    1:12 into the video below
    https://youtu.be/cJ-tgaE37UE

    "Can you grief other players?"  Seans answer = "a little bit"
    (1:40 into the video above)

    Sean's words on Colbert show:
    "The only way for you to know what you look like is for someone else to see you"  (1:49 into the video above)

    Colbert asks Sean specifically
    "Can you run into other players in the game?"  Seans answer = "yes"
    (1:54 into the video above)

    How in the world you can say that you do NOT believe, there were people who thought that there was some form of multiplayer in that game at the time of purchase is nonsense.
    nope...doesnt work for me

    sorry but Sean saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game.

    I dont believe you or anyone else thinks that there are people who when they bought the game thought that MP was in game and nothing you can say related to what Sean said before the date and hour of the games release will change that. nothing. peroid.

    'at the point of purchase' is extreemly important in this point
    OMG, Thank you for giving me a great quote for my signature
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I agree on your general statement however on the specifics of multiplayer and NMS I do not.
    One news story long ago said there would be PVP in the game
    Sean said on TV that to see yourself another person would have to be looking at you
    Sean said in several interviews that people could interact together

    When denying multiplayer, Sean NEVER said multiplayer was not in the game.  He said "people looking for the multiplayer EXPERIENCE" would not find it.  Many people took that to mean because the universe was so big, that much of the time you would be alone but that there was some form of multiplayer in the game.

    For you to insinuate that no one should have expected multiplayer in some form after the number of times Sean specifically mentioned it on TV and in interviews is just silly. 
     at the point of purcahse when the transaction took place, I do not believe there are people who believed that there was multiplayer in the game at that time.
    How can you say that?  Just because you dug though enough information and made a decision to NOT think multiplayer was in the game has absolutely no bearing on what other people believed.

    "Will you be able to play with your friends?" Seans answer = "yeah" 
    1:12 into the video below
    https://youtu.be/cJ-tgaE37UE

    "Can you grief other players?"  Seans answer = "a little bit"
    (1:40 into the video above)

    Sean's words on Colbert show:
    "The only way for you to know what you look like is for someone else to see you"  (1:49 into the video above)

    Colbert asks Sean specifically
    "Can you run into other players in the game?"  Seans answer = "yes"
    (1:54 into the video above)

    How in the world you can say that you do NOT believe, there were people who thought that there was some form of multiplayer in that game at the time of purchase is nonsense.
    nope...doesnt work for me

    sorry but Sean saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game.

    I dont believe you or anyone else thinks that there are people who when they bought the game thought that MP was in game and nothing you can say related to what Sean said before the date and hour of the games release will change that. nothing. peroid.

    'at the point of purchase' is extreemly important in this point
    OMG, Thank you for giving me a great quote for my signature
    your welcome.

    the reason for my point is that the community acts as if they were literally sold, and money was trasacted with the contractual agreement that MP was in the game at the point of purchase. This is being just as dishonest as Hello games.

    not making the distinction between saying something is GOING to be in a game before money is committed and what is understood to actually be in the game at the point of transfer of money is being just as trollish as Hello was

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nyctelios said:
    He is in denial. It happens. We already had an entire week here posting links and showing how much he lied and never went back to apologize or correct himself - yet we still have people here clicking that button over and over again... How sad.

    As shown above, you need little to no time searching on google (nowadays) to find proof of that.

    The first wave of "it was the hype" was made by people either defending the game or just echoing that too lazy to research. That affected even famous reviewers.

    I listened to Co Optional Podcast (TotalBiscuit, Jesse Cox, Dodger) where, on launch, TB said it was a illusion thing... One week later on the same podcast he apologized and correct himself - because you could find (again, as shown above) that Sean in fact lied and said there was multiplayer. One of the main videos out there with all the story during development is his video. Also Jim Sterling's Jimquisition covered that up too - So did NMS's Angry Review of Angry Joe.
    I dont think I am getting thru

    YES I believe and understand 10000000% that MP was a game feature that was advertised to the people prior to the games release. I know that and I believe it, i see it, I get it.

    However,
    at
    the
    point
    of
    purchase

    I do not believe people believed MP was actively in the game. meaning August 9, 2016 no date before that counts to my point

    now please give it a rest already.
    Just for craps and giggles, if we have all this evidence that multiplayer was part of the game, what do you believe changed between the time that Sean said all these things and the day the game was released?

    Do you honestly believe that whatever it was, no one else on the planet could have possibly missed it?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2016
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nyctelios said:
    He is in denial. It happens. We already had an entire week here posting links and showing how much he lied and never went back to apologize or correct himself - yet we still have people here clicking that button over and over again... How sad.

    As shown above, you need little to no time searching on google (nowadays) to find proof of that.

    The first wave of "it was the hype" was made by people either defending the game or just echoing that too lazy to research. That affected even famous reviewers.

    I listened to Co Optional Podcast (TotalBiscuit, Jesse Cox, Dodger) where, on launch, TB said it was a illusion thing... One week later on the same podcast he apologized and correct himself - because you could find (again, as shown above) that Sean in fact lied and said there was multiplayer. One of the main videos out there with all the story during development is his video. Also Jim Sterling's Jimquisition covered that up too - So did NMS's Angry Review of Angry Joe.
    I dont think I am getting thru

    YES I believe and understand 10000000% that MP was a game feature that was advertised to the people prior to the games release. I know that and I believe it, i see it, I get it.

    However,
    at
    the
    point
    of
    purchase

    I do not believe people believed MP was actively in the game. meaning August 9, 2016 no date before that counts to my point

    now please give it a rest already.
    Just for craps and giggles, if we have all this evidence that multiplayer was part of the game, what do you believe changed between the time that Sean said all these things and the day the game was released?

    Do you honestly believe that whatever it was, no one else on the planet could have possibly missed it?
    I will say again

    I believe on the date of August 9, 2016 and greater that the vast majority if not all people who bought the game (as in paied for it) knew very well that there was not MP in the game at the time they spent the money.

    thus is hard to say you were scammed if you didnt buy it in the first place because you knew full fucking well at that time it didnt have MP in it.


    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited October 2016
    in fact i will take it a step further. I think people who bought NMS then proceed to state on forums and in legal avenues that they where scammed because they thought NMS had muliplayer in it when they bought it that those specific people and not other people who do not fit that parameter are flat out unadulterated lying. simple as that.

    you can feel free to disagree with me but I doubt very seriously you will change my view on what happend during that time. I also might be wrong, but this is how I see it.


    now I will say the pre-sell hype was a scam.yes but its bordline to really take it farther than that.

    Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

    Please do not respond to me

  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nyctelios said:
    He is in denial. It happens. We already had an entire week here posting links and showing how much he lied and never went back to apologize or correct himself - yet we still have people here clicking that button over and over again... How sad.

    As shown above, you need little to no time searching on google (nowadays) to find proof of that.

    The first wave of "it was the hype" was made by people either defending the game or just echoing that too lazy to research. That affected even famous reviewers.

    I listened to Co Optional Podcast (TotalBiscuit, Jesse Cox, Dodger) where, on launch, TB said it was a illusion thing... One week later on the same podcast he apologized and correct himself - because you could find (again, as shown above) that Sean in fact lied and said there was multiplayer. One of the main videos out there with all the story during development is his video. Also Jim Sterling's Jimquisition covered that up too - So did NMS's Angry Review of Angry Joe.
    I dont think I am getting thru

    YES I believe and understand 10000000% that MP was a game feature that was advertised to the people prior to the games release. I know that and I believe it, i see it, I get it.

    However,
    at
    the
    point
    of
    purchase

    I do not believe people believed MP was actively in the game. meaning August 9, 2016 no date before that counts to my point

    now please give it a rest already.
    Just for craps and giggles, if we have all this evidence that multiplayer was part of the game, what do you believe changed between the time that Sean said all these things and the day the game was released?

    Do you honestly believe that whatever it was, no one else on the planet could have possibly missed it?
    I will say again

    I believe on the date of August 9, 2016 and greater that the vast majority if not all people who bought the game (as in paied for it) knew very well that there was not MP in the game at the time they spent the money.

    You continue to tell us WHAT you believe but you offer no evidence as to WHY you believe it
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Hacker or not,the truth is NMS was a mistake.

    So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member EpicPosts: 10,231
    PAL-18 said:
    Hacker or not,the truth is NMS was a mistake.
    The only mistake NMS made was selling it at such a high cost.  Price plays a factor, and I didn't buy it due to the costs associated with it, though I was able to play my friends game, and it led me to make the decision that yes, I will buy NMS... when it's like.. 15 bucks on sale. 



  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 796
    edited October 2016
    OMG people the creator SPECIFICALLY said there was multiplayer in the game. ON NATIONAL TELEVISION.

    Here 5:44 in -

  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    edited October 2016
    Hard to tell. Other than it actually being hacked and tweeted for the lulz the tweet doesn't really mean anything. On the other hand, Hello Games staging this and getting the obvious attention from it is free advertising. It's a win either way for HG so if people did hack and attempt detriment the jokes on them.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 2,995
    SEANMCAD said:
    in fact i will take it a step further. I think people who bought NMS then proceed to state on forums and in legal avenues that they where scammed because they thought NMS had muliplayer in it when they bought it that those specific people and not other people who do not fit that parameter are flat out unadulterated lying. simple as that.

    you can feel free to disagree with me but I doubt very seriously you will change my view on what happend during that time. I also might be wrong, but this is how I see it.


    now I will say the pre-sell hype was a scam.yes but its bordline to really take it farther than that.
    So if I saw an interview with him and preordered it. . making that the time of purchase. . since I paid then and then didn't follow the game until release. . There is no way I could expect it to be multi-player?

    Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

  • allexvilyallexvily Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited October 2016
    [mod edit] if the developer tells you in countless ocasions there will be mp, there will be mp and so on, u expect the damn thing to have mp when u buy it
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,076
    edited October 2016
    Yep, I expected multiplayer. I didn't pre-order, waited several weeks to determine if I would eventually purchase it (which I didn't), and was pretty surprised that something Sean Murray had been talking about as much as he had, as it came up several times in interviews (I found at least 4), was completely missing from the end product.

    The only reason I'm not sour about it is because I have the wherewithal to recognize that pre-ordering isn't as beneficial to consumers as it is to producers.
    Post edited by Lawlmonster on

    "This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 1,999
    edited October 2016
    Sigh...

    I'm very adverse to have to get @SEANMCAD back, although I do find his posts awesome at times, I'll break it down for you guys:

    "Point of Purchase" or "POP" in retail terms basically means the area, physical or online, where you put your money down.

    He is saying that from hard launch and after of NMS nowhere in either the physical POP or online POP did it state multiplayer enabled.That is true.

    He is ignoring preorders obviously. That is all he is saying.

    Not much I know.

    EDIT: Actually I totally missed his whole point, I think.

    I think what he is arguing is that no where ever on any POP did it state Multiplayer enabled. The only time MP was uttered was from The Bearded Hipster One's mouth. So his stance is that if it wasn't listed as a component of the game in writing on POP then you should have no expectations of it, even if the Lead Dev stated it could happen.
    Post edited by bartoni33 on

    Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.


  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    I believed multiplayer was in the game at point of purchase.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    I believed multiplayer was in the game at point of purchase.
    Then you obviously don't exist @SEANMCAD told us so!
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 1,999
    I believed multiplayer was in the game at point of purchase.
    Then you obviously don't exist @SEANMCAD told us so!
    Indeed.

    But both of you are mistaken in what @SEANMCAD is saying.

    Technically he is correct. Look at my edit 3 posts up.

    Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.


  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    edited October 2016
    bartoni33 said:
    I believed multiplayer was in the game at point of purchase.
    Then you obviously don't exist @SEANMCAD told us so!
    Indeed.

    But both of you are mistaken in what @SEANMCAD is saying.

    Technically he is correct. Look at my edit 3 posts up.
    Aah the reasonable man test. In this case arguing that a reasonable man arrives at the point of purchase armed with no further knowledge than that which is written on the hypothetical box. Might work in a court of law. But do we really believe that everyone arrived at the point of purchase never having heard the hype that it was a multiplayer game?
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 192
    "oops we were hacked" - said everyone who later regretted their tweet ever.




  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 10,765
    NMS was a heavily preordered game, how much of that was due to the 'advertising' well, all of it maybe?
    People do buy games on the basis of hype and dev interviews, and they really shouldn't, NMS is a  cautionary tale.
    Be sensible, don't preorder a game because of something one of the devs says in interviews, because it cannot be relied upon, in fact, don't preorder a game for any reason, its a gamble.
    Perhaps we should really be thanking Sean Murray for highlighting this. :o
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 237
    I believed multiplayer was in the game at point of purchase.
    Same. And I didn't refund immediately because Hello Games reported server instability which made me believe that multiplayer was coming at some point. Then when I tried to refund later, Sony told me that I unlocked too many achievements (walking around) to get a refund. They wouldn't state how many hours I played, but it was less than 5.
Sign In or Register to comment.