Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

'NMS Was a Mistake' - Dev Truth or Server Hack?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2016 in News & Features Discussion

image'NMS Was a Mistake' - Dev Truth or Server Hack?

No Man's Sky News - According to reports across several media and reported first by Polygon, Hello Games' Sean Murray ostensibly posted a Tweet saying "No Man's Sky was a mistake". The Tweet has since been taken down and the Twitter account has been set to private. Long after the original post, Murray posted that the server was hacked and that "it was using Linked In without 2FA".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I wonder if this was a direct answer from Sean Murray or another one of his patent "hehehe yea.."
  • kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Calling your own game mistake sounds shady at best. Either they were hacked or someones going to get fired.
  • MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    He mentioned before he feels like don't want to release this game in one interview . I just want to know who forced them or they did all this crap conscious. Any way Sean killed his carrier in Gaming industry
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    He mentioned before he feels like don't want to release this game in one interview . I just want to know who forced them or they did all this crap conscious. Any way Sean killed his carrier in Gaming industry
    well for a persective if you made some thing like $25 million dollars on a scam would you care that your career is over? i dont know how much it was by the way its just that appears he did bank

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    If his Twitter account got hacked, how comes that he confirmed to Polygon via mail that he did the posting?

Was his mail account also hacked?

I did not really follow this story, but from here this Twitter "hack" looks like a cheap excuse and damage control.

Volgore said:
    If his Twitter account got hacked, how comes that he confirmed to Polygon via mail that he did the posting?

Was his mail account also hacked?

I did not really follow this story, but from here this Twitter "hack" looks like a cheap excuse and damage control.
    who the fuck actually gives a shit frankly.

hacked or not
    sorry I had to rant there I am better now

Nyctelios said:
    Sony tossed them over the angry mob and made them promise things and tell lies... Now they are over the pyre, getting burnt like a witch, while the barons of Sony are looking from their windows counting their gold and laughing.

Not defending them in any regards.

My point is: If you'll burn a witch, you should burn all of them. People are pissed with the devs for their lies, with reason, but are forgetting to blame those who knew all the time it would be a scam and did nothing about it besides collecting the money from the pre orders and day one purchases.

Sony lost a promising but small to nonexistent dev team - but that was a fair price for the sell numbers in both consoles and the title itself. 
    would that include burning a community that alters the outcome of reviews by a large margin based on what the developer said and not the game itself, even more so given that its likely not a single person actually bought that game thinking it was multiplayer.

I am not trying to defend Sony or Hello on this but I have to say the community was fairly trollish about this whole thing

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    SEANMCAD said:

I am not trying to defend Sony or Hello on this but I have to say the community was fairly trollish about this whole thing
    No, he blatantly built hype to extreme heights, admit it, this game was the Holy Grail of gaiming for the next decade as the hype was built.
    Then this game releases, enormous amounts of ppl preorder and buy it, and then the game proved to be a dud.

So yeah, disgruntled players loved to burn the game down.

That's what happens with dissatisfied customers who have been lied to.
    They do not have the power to sue them, so how to get back at the devs?

'Burn the game to the ground and the devs reps along with them.'

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Muke said:
    SEANMCAD said:

No, he blatantly built hype to extreme heights, admit it, this game was the Holy Grail of gaiming for the next decade as the hype was built.
    Then this game releases, enormous amounts of ppl preorder and buy it, and then the game proved to be a dud.

let me try to answer your question by asking you a point blank concrete question of which I will hope to receive an honest answer from and said question SHOULD illustrate the point I am making but if not I will explain

Do you think anyone bought the game thinking there was actually multiplayer in it?

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    Hacked you say? What was their password?

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    edited October 2016

SEANMCAD said:

Muke said:

SEANMCAD said:

let me try to answer your question by asking you a point blank concrete question of which I will hope to receive an honest answer from and said question SHOULD illustrate the point I am making but if not I will explain

Do you think anyone bought the game thinking there was actually multiplayer in it?

Yes. I think a lot of people preordered this thinking their was multiplayer in it. Another cautionary tale against preordering.
    Grakulen said:

SEANMCAD said:

Muke said:

SEANMCAD said:

Yes
    sorry but I do not believe you believe that.

but fair enough carry on

edited October 2016

SEANMCAD said:

Grakulen said:

SEANMCAD said:

Muke said:

SEANMCAD said:

Yes

but fair enough carry on

I do. Because like it or not people fall for marketing. That's why companies spend billions on it. You'd think people would know better but time and time again people prove they don't.
    Grakulen said:

SEANMCAD said:

Grakulen said:

SEANMCAD said:

Muke said:

SEANMCAD said:

Yes

but fair enough carry on

I do. Because like it or not people fall for marketing. That's why companies spend billions on it. You'd think people would know better but time and time again people prove they don't.
    I agree on your general statement however on the specifics of multiplayer and NMS I do not.

I also think that the publisher had a lot to do with it. This hype train has to leave the station before people figured out it was going to be a mess.
    Grakulen said:
    I also think that the publisher had a lot to do with it. This hype train has to leave the station before people figured out it was going to be a mess.
    yeah but 'a mess' is different from specifically multiplayer being in the game or not in the game. The purpose of my assertion was to focus like a laser on that aspect specifically.

I dont think people bought this game (as in at the point of purchase) thinking there was multiplayer in the game. 
    They have have 'bought into' the game weeks or months before thinking that multiplayer was 'going to be in the game' but at the moment of purchase I do not think anyone thought there was multiplayer IN the game at that time.

does that make it more clear perhaps?

edited October 2016
    i just looked at the back of the box. If you walked into a store knowing nothing about this game I'd say you would think it's single player only. It clearly states that.

If you look at online stores like Amazon it doesn't show the back of the box and says their is online play. Most people equate online play with multiplayer. Correctly or incorrectly it's just a conclusion I assume most people would jump to.

So yes I think some people did buy it thinking their would be MP. Do I think it was millions of people? Absolutely not. A few thousand? Probably.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    SEANMCAD said:
    Grakulen said:
    yeah but 'a mess' is different from specifically multiplayer being in the game or not in the game. The purpose of my assertion was to focus like a laser on that aspect specifically.

I dont think people bought this game (as in at the point of purchase) thinking there was multiplayer in the game. 
    They have have 'bought into' the game weeks or months before thinking that multiplayer was 'going to be in the game' but at the moment of purchase I do not think anyone thought there was multiplayer IN the game at that time.

does that make it more clear perhaps?

I personally thought there would be a pseudo-multiplayer component to it.

I love exploration and community. The way it was pitched made me assume those two would be linked. It was obvious there would be no direct multiplayer. You would not be running around with your friends. You would not be building, killing or trading together.

But I assumed you would have an impact on the world. People visiting the worlds you discovered would then see the impact you made. Likewise, you'd travel places where people had left stuff. The ecosystem would respond to your behaviour on a global level. In a sense, you would be part of the game. Even if apart, players would be collectively linked by the universe itself.

This was directly stated in the interviews. I did not have grand expectations, but I was looking forward to some foundations of the above. Instead, everything is pretty much static, with no impact from the players whatsoever.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:
    I agree on your general statement however on the specifics of multiplayer and NMS I do not.
    One news story long ago said there would be PVP in the game
    Sean said on TV that to see yourself another person would have to be looking at you
    Sean said in several interviews that people could interact together

When denying multiplayer, Sean NEVER said multiplayer was not in the game.  He said "people looking for the multiplayer EXPERIENCE" would not find it.  Many people took that to mean because the universe was so big, that much of the time you would be alone but that there was some form of multiplayer in the game.

For you to insinuate that no one should have expected multiplayer in some form after the number of times Sean specifically mentioned it on TV and in interviews is just silly. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I did not buy it thinking there was multiplayer. I don't even know if anything was missing that was promised I can do everything they showed in the videos to the game is just boring though. You do the same thing over and over. 
    Nyctelios said:
    What nonsensical conversation is this about "believing there was multiplayer"?

Sean said himself there was multiplayer and we already covered that up in many posts with stupid amount of footage and articles and interviews and tweets... 

There were subreddits of GUILDS planning their PvP activities because Sean said there would be PvP.

Those people pre ordered the game for the PvP.

What's wrong with you, @SEANMCAD?
    I am not sure why my point is hard to understand. I am saying at the point of purchase I do not think anyone was actively at that point buying the game with money under the assumption that multiplayer was in the game at the point of purchase. This DOES matter, mostly legally but in other matters around this subject as well.

edited October 2016
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Sean said on TV that to see yourself another person would have to be looking at you

When denying multiplayer, Sean NEVER said multiplayer was not in the game.  He said "people looking for the multiplayer EXPERIENCE" would not find it.  Many people took that to mean because the universe was so big, that much of the time you would be alone but that there was some form of multiplayer in the game.

For you to insinuate that no one should have expected multiplayer in some form after the number of times Sean specifically mentioned it on TV and in interviews is just silly. 
    I repeat

At the point of purchase, if the player at that point in time believed there was multiplayer in the game at the point of transaction then that is a problem of which could turn into a legal issue

however, at the point of purcahse when the transaction took place, I do not believe there are people who believed that there was multiplayer in the game at that time. This matter a lot. Because there is a very large difference between broken promises of what would happen in the future without money exchanging hands yet and selling something AT THE POINT OF SALE with the user under false pretenses about what is actively in the product at the point of sale.

HUGE diffference

as an example.

'I am building a vacation home which I think you will like it will have these features, when I am done come back with money ready'

and 

'you bought the house, at the point of transaction I told you it had a pool, you were buying the house with the understanding at that time that the pool was actually there, but it was not'

edited October 2016
    The reason I am suggesting the two difference matter greatly is because its fairly common for developers to 'suggest' something is going to be in a game or even 'going to be' and then when the game is out its not there. That doesnt make it just but it is reality and fairly common.

However, the community was acting as if at the point of purchase they believed there was multiplayer and where surprised that there was not. That is being as misleading an Hello Games where about MP being in the game, it was trollish.

just one example of 'is going to' and 'end up not being' is American Truck Simulator that got delayed. when they said it was to be released it did not get released. does that mean they are evil monsters who eat childern? i dont think so

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

at the point of purcahse when the transaction took place, I do not believe there are people who believed that there was multiplayer in the game at that time.
    How can you say that?  Just because you dug though enough information and made a decision to NOT think multiplayer was in the game has absolutely no bearing on what other people believed.

"Will you be able to play with your friends?" Seans answer = "yeah" 
    1:12 into the video below
    https://youtu.be/cJ-tgaE37UE

"Can you grief other players?"  Seans answer = "a little bit"
    (1:40 into the video above)

Sean's words on Colbert show:
    "The only way for you to know what you look like is for someone else to see you"  (1:49 into the video above)

Colbert asks Sean specifically
    "Can you run into other players in the game?"  Seans answer = "yes"
    (1:54 into the video above)

How in the world you can say that you do NOT believe, there were people who thought that there was some form of multiplayer in that game at the time of purchase is nonsense.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited October 2016
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

at the point of purcahse when the transaction took place, I do not believe there are people who believed that there was multiplayer in the game at that time.
    How can you say that?  Just because you dug though enough information and made a decision to NOT think multiplayer was in the game has absolutely no bearing on what other people believed.

"Will you be able to play with your friends?" Seans answer = "yeah" 
    1:12 into the video below
    https://youtu.be/cJ-tgaE37UE

"Can you grief other players?"  Seans answer = "a little bit"
    (1:40 into the video above)

Sean's words on Colbert show:
    "The only way for you to know what you look like is for someone else to see you"  (1:49 into the video above)

Colbert asks Sean specifically
    "Can you run into other players in the game?"  Seans answer = "yes"
    (1:54 into the video above)

How in the world you can say that you do NOT believe, there were people who thought that there was some form of multiplayer in that game at the time of purchase is nonsense.
    nope...doesnt work for me

sorry but Sean saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game.

I dont believe you or anyone else thinks that there are people who when they bought the game thought that MP was in game and nothing you can say related to what Sean said before the date and hour of the games release will change that. nothing. peroid.

'at the point of purchase' is extreemly important in this point