Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible Franchise MMO on the Rise ???

rjhanesrjhanes Member UncommonPosts: 8
Hello, MMORPG community, today is the day I think I have seen it all! Is it possible there will be an upcoming MMORPG called "The Chronicles of Narnia Online" ? I had stumbled upon a forum today and seen a very popular topic trending and it was a petition for an actual Narnia Online. Now I don't know about you guys but I for one loved the books and franchise. I believe a game like this will be an amazing opportunity to explore C.S Lewis' world of Narnia but I believe they are needing our help! They have a landing page and petition and I think with enough support we all can experience this world and step into the wardrobe http://thecollectivesounds.wixsite.com/narniaonline

https://www.change.org/p/the-walt-disney-company-the-chronicles-of-narnia-online

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    A free website created on Wix, stating they don't have the rights to make the game but they'd really like to, so please sign a petition to show support.....

Can't see it going anywhere. 
  • rjhanesrjhanes Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I mean they seem to have Disney's support according to the studio that's trying to create it. I know everyone said the same thing about Pirates Online and they used a free website and just bought a domain lol... so logically being biased just because they are using a free website isn't fair. I believe they are onto something I mean people do it all the time. #GOForNarnia 
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    They cant make two of the greatest stories and worlds/universes ever imagined (Middle Earth and Star Wars) work what makes you think some limited kiddyland would have a chance?

Stories with beginnings and ends make for bad MMOs even when you try and invent things.

Sure its cools the first time around seeing these places you read about but if the developer doesnt do them justice, and they never do, then it usually ends up being a disappointment.

Now with the new tech and VR (someday) then maybe  but that is along ways away.

I just want to know what the premise of a Narnia based MMO would be. The content is severely lacking.

At best it will be some mobile app they can milk with coins or other monetized garbage but as a full blown 'classic' MMO I give it about zero chance.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    I remember what happened when Disney allowed a Pirates of the Caribbean MMO, that lasted a year maybe, and it was terrible. Some things just don't work as MMOs.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KotamereKotamere Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Tiller said:
    I remember what happened when Disney allowed a Pirates of the Caribbean MMO, that lasted a year maybe, and it was terrible. Some things just don't work as MMOs.
    Pirates lasted for 6 years.  Still going strong with the new team developing it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I say no for two reasons..

1 It would be a crowd funder to a company like Disney that is already super rich.
    2 It would be a linear questing game because really that is all you can do with a known ip is turn it into a sort of single player linear game.

I really don't see the positive of this,even if you like the books or the movie translating it into a game is way different,it takes a lot of work to bring a game/world to life and so far after all these years NOBODY is doing it.So if your going to use a known IP for the wondrous world we know from the book/movie you NEED to bring that world to life.All you would see is known characters "few" some quests tied to those few and call her a day,i feel it would be done super cheap and super boring.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited October 2016
    rodarin said:
    They cant make two of the greatest stories and worlds/universes ever imagined (Middle Earth and Star Wars) work what makes you think some limited kiddyland would have a chance?

Stories with beginnings and ends make for bad MMOs even when you try and invent things.

This. Popular IPs can provide an interesting world to explore and provide players an opportunity to create their own stories.

Most however lack the imagination to do so, therefore devs fall back to creating the story for them, or worse recreating the story we already know.

LOTRO and SWTOR are two glaring examples of how not to do it (IMO) and for sure Narnia would be more of the same.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• shalissarshalissar Member UncommonPosts: 509
    A Christian fantasy allegory done as an MMORPG.
    No thanks, backing right away from that one.
    Why do some people get so uptight about this? It's not like it's preachy. And there are plenty of pagan motifs as well. But we aren't all offended at that are we? I'm agnostic but this instant recoil against anything that remotely resembles christianity is borderline insufferable. So it's an allegory of a piece of what you would consider mythology. Big deal.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    If they can't be bothered to spend 10$ on a domain, they probably won't be able to pull off a successful product.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Harper Collins owns the publishing rights.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    I'm scared to see how Disney would nickle & dime with their business model lol.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    We already have a thread about this here:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/457600/the-chronicles-of-narnia-online/p1

No need to create duplicate threads about a game idea that isn't likely to rise to the level of vaporware.
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Lol ya dude, I'm sure you're in no way affiliated with the petition.  You have like 5 total comments all of which are regarding this Narnia game.  Your post reads like an attempt at some kind of pr hype statement, not something a passionate fan would write.  Next time you try this shady marketing bs at least attempt to make it sound somewhat believable.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    The best way to destroy an idea (religion) is to replace  it with another. the date was  chosen because people  were already celebrating something at that time. They need to replace that celebration to replace the religion. So they just replaced that celebration with a new one. The people  still  got to have their celebration and  do most  off  the same things they did before. 
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    The best way to destroy an idea (religion) is to replace  it with another. the date was  chosen because people  were already celebrating something at that time. They need to replace that celebration to replace the religion. So they just replaced that celebration with a new one. The people  still  got to have their celebration and  do most  off  the same things they did before. 
    Halloween bunnies and Easter (Eostr) bunnies too.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Moar Bunnies!
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Not even sure what special thing a Chronicles of Narnia MMO would even have.  It was a rather generic fantasy world for the most part.  There weren't even any wizard classes (besides the villains and even then they only used the subtle form of magic)
  • GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    I don't think the specific setting even matters that much. If someone makes a great game, people will play it.
    Most of them won't really care on which specific IP it is based as long as it is immersive and fun.

Personally, I'd prefer a non IP based approach, with full artistic freedom. That can potentially elevate the game higher than any IP could, because the lore can be tailored to support the world and the planned gameplay perfectly instead of putting constraints on it.

I admit it would have some downsides in terms of marketing, but like I said above, a great game will succeed anyway. There are so few decent scope MMORPGs being made that they will all be noticed. We are not talking indie retro jump'n'runs here.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Tiamat64 said:
    Not even sure what special thing a Chronicles of Narnia MMO would even have.  It was a rather generic fantasy world for the most part.  There weren't even any wizard classes (besides the villains and even then they only used the subtle form of magic)
    Pretty much this.
    This is why I feel the only concept they have right now is the name of this IP.

No one would sue them if they just made a fantasy game with axe wielding minotaurs, speaking mice and whatever.
    Harbinger of Fools