Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Forums randomly acting very buggy

QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
So, I had thought that maybe I was only having these problems before, because I had no-script and such on my browser. However, now I'm running on a fresh install (dual boot) of Windows 7 and Linux Mint, and on both OSs, in any browser, the same behavior is still happening.

Basically, when I attempt to access the forums, I'll randomly get either a "File Not Found" type message (or it might say Page Not Found), or I get a forum page only showing a small assortment of threads.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like.

There's no clear way to recreate either scenario; they just happen at random.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Ive noticed this when first starting a new session, and on occasion when accessing the next page of forum responses after pausing for quite awhile.

Not noticed much on my android cell phone, almost exclusively a Firefox issue on my two Windows boxes.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    It probably is the DNS attack that is ongoing.

• MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758
    edited October 2016
    I'm not seeing this.  When you say 'access' the forum do you mean you're clicking links on the main site to come to the forum?  

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    edited October 2016
    As a fellow webdev myself, could it maybe be a permissions issue? Maybe the cookie info is pointing to a www. version instead of .website.tld?

I don't want to step on any toes here but my own server had this issue when I transferred to VBulletin. Turns out my Apache had a lot of caching going on right? Well, that mixed with people having multiple accounts on the same box caused a nightmare. Basically I had to create 3 different cookie key pairs to get it all straightened out lol. :)
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited October 2016
    I get the "Page Not Found" screen every time i log in now. I switched to Chrome and it does it as well. It's been happening for a few days now. Basically it all started happening around the same time the DDoS attacks hit the world a few days ago. When i get that error i hit Home (the home button on the site, not on the browser) and it fixes it until i have to log in again.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    It happens to me too when I use CCleaner and it removes my automated login here.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    These forums have always been buggy for me. They load slow and often not at all.  Nothing new. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I get the "Page Not Found" screen every time i log in now. I switched to Chrome and it does it as well. It's been happening for a few days now. Basically it all started happening around the same time the DDoS attacks hit the world a few days ago. When i get that error i hit Home (the home button on the site, not on the browser) and it fixes it until i have to log in again.
    Yes, this has been my observation as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

The final fantasy issue has been fixed from your screenshot.  Since we again have forums for all games on our games list it's essential that the forum name for the game is the same as the title of the game on our main site.  We're catching the issues as we see them and matching up the game forum with the game title off our main game list.

So the final fantasy xiv forum has been merged with the larger final fantasy xiv: realms reborn forum.

If you get the forum not found error it's most likely this same issue if you're clicking from our main site game details page 'forums' link for a game and getting the not found page.  This means we need to match the forum with the game.  So please report these when you see them.  It will help us get transitioned back over to having forums for every game which is nice :)

Thanks!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Past couple of days, when I'm on a different tab of Chrome for a while and come back to this one, I see a white screen with an error message and once or twice it has been on an adserver page instead of the forums without me clicking anything... an adserver page with a WOT warning I may add.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited October 2016
    Have you seen that ad page today @Iselin?  We've been chasing down a bad 'advertiser' through one of the networks we use that's been doing these shady redirects.  Yesterday we turned off some networks we suspected of pulling this crap.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited October 2016
    I've been having this issue the last few days as well. I go to the forums and get a page not found error when I go to open threads from the front page feed. I actually couldn't get to the forums for a few hours and thought they were down. I wonder if they are screwing with an anit-adblocker software. Lots of sights out there restricting usage unless you white list them.

These sites need to figure out a new way to show ads safely or I will just avoid them altogether.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Meddle said:
    Have you seen that ad page today @Iselin?  We've been chasing down a bad 'advertiser' through one of the networks we use that's been doing these shady redirects.  Yesterday we turned off some networks we suspected of pulling this crap.
    No not today. Several times yesterday though.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    Sad face. It appears I was *way* off the mark. *mumbles* lol
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    edited November 2016
    I get the "Page Not Found" thing when logging in recently, but more annoyingly after 15 minutes or so of reading the forums my browser eventually slows down and basically locks up. I have to restart it at that point.

I use Firefox and a few different plugins (but not noscript).

Edit (okay, I'll try to help): My Plugins

1.) Better Privacy (super cookie killer, but flash cookies also disabled in Cpanel)
    2.) Open H264 Video Codec (Always Activate)
    3.) Adobe Acrobat (Ask to Activate)
    4.) Intel Identity Protection Technology (Ask to Activate)
    5.) Java Deployment Toolkit (Ask to Activate)
    6.) Java Platform (Ask to Activate)
    7.) Shockwave Flash (Ask to Activate)
    8.) Silverlight Plugin (Ask to Activate)
    Post edited by Pynda on