Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ignore criticism

2»

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I dont think player/fan criticism should get a large part of a developers ear "during" development.  If the developer has a solid, well-thought out plan for the game and knows what they want to build, why listen to all the criticism?  If you have a solid group of testers from your target demographic, that is all you really need. You can not please everyone and it only causes issues with game direction.  Take Firefall, they listened too much to the most vocal people on the forums and changed directions many times.

Now that doesnt mean all criticism should be ignored.  Take Paladins for example, building a FPS style game that is F2P is a recipe for low player retention.  The problem with F2P in FPS's is with hacking.  I can buy a hack and if I get caught using it, I just create another gmail account and do it all again.  I have a hack so starting fresh is not an issue since I will still be smoking the veteran players.  Hacking is already starting to grow in Paladins and it will only get worse.  You dont have near as big an issue with hacking in Overwatch because getting caught will cost you another $60 to start over.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    svann said:
    incomprehensible requirements
    1. Dont build on solo play
    2. Dont have fast travel.  Instead, make travel interesting.  Have adventures while you are traveling to the area you are going to.  Your group will wait while you solo through the adventures you find on your way.
    I'm totally okay with teleporting someone to you providing they have the mats to do it, something you have to farm, or if its a skill bound to one particular class with restrictions.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited October 2016
    goboygo said:
    svann said:
    2. Dont have fast travel.  Instead, make travel interesting.  Have adventures while you are traveling to the area you are going to.  Your group will wait while you solo through the adventures you find on your way.
    I'm totally okay with teleporting someone to you providing they have the mats to do it, something you have to farm, or if its a skill bound to one particular class with restrictions.
    I agree. Its something I mentioned on the official forums recently. Even EQ became riddled with fast travel via PoK instant portals and on P99, everyone just expects to find a portal because its so easy for players to log on a wiz or druid.

My suggestion was expensive reagents, that way its something most players cannot use until higher levels and even then, should be expensive enough that you would not want to use them flippantly. I also think it would make sense to put a debuff on a player who used teleportation or portals, preventing them from taking another for a while.

Fast travel absolutely destroys the illusion of a virtual world.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Dullahan said:
    goboygo said:
    svann said:
    I agree. Its something I mentioned on the official forums recently. Even EQ became riddled with fast travel via PoK instant portals and on P99, everyone just expects to find a portal because its so easy for players to log on a wiz or druid.

My suggestion was expensive reagents, that way its something most players cannot use until higher levels and even then, should be expensive enough that you would not want to use them flippantly. I also think it would make sense to put a debuff on a player who used teleportation or portals, preventing them from taking another for a while.

Fast travel absolutely destroys the illusion of a virtual world.

Honestly I don't really care if "everyone" has a wizard or druid they can logon, that still requires the person to have leveled the character, invested the time, etc, and as long as the leveling process isn't dick easy, then I don't really see the issue.  The other thing, it still doesn't make it *that* much easier, you still have to physically travel to or from the druid rings/wizard spire, etc. Even back in the original days, in the main hubs, commonlands, dreadlands, etc, you could just shy of always find someone doing ports unless it was a wonky time of night. Hell, even in P99, where everyone had 4x as much time between expansions to level characters and such, it was still very difficult to find a port early in the morning (i.e. say 2am, ish).

I really think the more important thing is making sure that the porting ability is in the hands of the players, not teleport stones, and stuff like that.  That's what builds community, the dependence on other people for other things.

Just like in real life, if you spend 20 years becoming a master mechanic, you don't have the time to be a master painter.  So if you want to buy a painting, you pay a painter to do it, and consequently if that painter needs his car fixed, he pays you to do it, etc.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    I think a lot of the things they are doing are very achievable and really like the ideas they have with the magic essence in zones. I think just making things for enjoyable and limiting conveniance features is the way to go personally.

1. there should be no fast travel in mmos like instant portals.
    2. Portals should only be able to be casted by the most skilled magic users and need to some how be speced into.
    3. No dungeon finders but make social areas like taverns or grouping boards.
    4. Mounting/ flying should be limited somehow like with stamina or skills needed.
    5. Please bring back crafting recipes and make them rare and useful.

Its about bringing the sense of achievement and adventure back to these games, dialing things like this back a little will also prevent players from burning through a ridiculous amount of content to quick. Also I would like to see dungeons be more difficult and crafting items be more useful.

I guess what im getting to is instead of adding or taking things away why not just properly adjust the systems we have already but make them enjoyable goals.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Dullahan said:
    Interact and read until someone gets real and postinga critique of screenshots.  Now I'm unable to post replys to screenshots because someone couldn't handle my critique. The screen shot was rubbish, I pointed out why, an now I can't reply to any screenshot on this website because someone got butt hurt.

I remember when people pointed out things in Vanguard , really basic things like optimization /ban. 3d mesh clipping /ban , poor charcter model animation /ban , exploits /ban. 

Think the ability to post on some screenshots is just bugged. I say this because I was going to make fun of your remarks about the most random, completely subjective critique of a ruin on a snowy hill, but it wouldn't let me do so either.
    This was bugged. We just fixed it.
This discussion has been closed.