Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Elder Scrolls Online Has Totally Changed

124»

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I dunno... only a couple of days in and I am getting bored because I don't FEEL any stronger than when I started.. rats are still... taking multiple hits even after 10 levels.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Torval said:
    That sounds great to a PvP player, but not to a PvE player. The whole point is to play against the AI and not players with some twisted agenda to murder as many other players as possible in any way possible.

Locking better rewards behind a PvP mechanic is just going to send PvE players packing. Someone can justify it all day long, but the end result will be an exodus to PvE only activities. That's why those players aren't playing in Cyrodiil or the other PvP areas in the first place.

Now if you wanted to add same faction PvP via the justice system in PvP zones then I think that would be great. It would provide a more open environment.
    Agree you wouldn't want to lock better rewards behind PvP. Maybe something could be added in IC - but as that is mixed PvE / PvP it would have to be "off" by default. 

My initial thought though was just to tweak one of the week long campaigns. Whether that would satisfy those who "crave" full loot PvP though ....?

I'm pretty sure though they wouldn't want any "different mechanics" - MF will be aware of the issues that that created in DAoC. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ikeda said:
    I dunno... only a couple of days in and I am getting bored because I don't FEEL any stronger than when I started.. rats are still... taking multiple hits even after 10 levels.
    What class are you playing and what skills are you using?

Depending on what you are and what you decide to use in that one single skill bar you have at level 10 you might not notice any difference, especially if you're mostly doing light and heavy weapon attacks - it's the skills that make a difference.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    edited October 2016
    Iselin said:
    Ikeda said:

Depending on what you are and what you decide to use in that one single skill bar you have at level 10 you might not notice any difference, especially if you're mostly doing light and heavy weapon attacks - it's the skills that make a difference.
    In all fairness to what he wrote, a rat is a rat. A level 10 should be able to kill that in one shot no matter what skill he is using. This is an example of why I'm not a fan of this type leveling to the player...nor was I a fan of it in Oblivion and used mods to alter it. Skyrim handled it a bit better.  Not everything should be leveled up. Some should, some shouldn't.

There Is Always Hope!

keithian said:
    Iselin said:
    Ikeda said:

In all fairness to what he wrote, a rat is a rat. A level 10 should be able to kill that in one shot no matter what skill he is using. This is an example of why I'm not a fan of this type leveling to the player...nor was I a fan of it in Oblivion and used mods to alter it. Skyrim handled it a bit better.  Not everything should be leveled up. Some should, some shouldn't.
    Its also no different than it was before this last patch: when a rat was level 10 and you were level 10, if you just swung at it without using skills it also would have taken several hits.

With a level 10 stamina sorcerer using Hurricane, I don't even bother swinging at the rats - they just die by being near me while I swing at something else. Skills were important before and they still are.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Torval said:

If one didn't like the combat, quests, dungeons, and crafting before then I think they wouldn't like it now. If someone enjoyed the game before this could give it a lot more cohesive and solid feeling. If you don't like that factions can mix this will bother you. If not then it's more people to play with.
    I thought that the faction mix would ruin it TBH, however, I've found it actually allows one to work for any faction in PVE (and feels natural in doing so). Which is a nice change, it would be nice if they found a way to do that with PVP, some form of faction change would be pretty much all that is needed to take away the difference between PVE (now) and PVP as it's always been.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    This basically sounds like a skill balance issue.

Distopia said:
    Torval said:

If one didn't like the combat, quests, dungeons, and crafting before then I think they wouldn't like it now. If someone enjoyed the game before this could give it a lot more cohesive and solid feeling. If you don't like that factions can mix this will bother you. If not then it's more people to play with.
    I thought that the faction mix would ruin it TBH, however, I've found it actually allows one to work for any faction in PVE (and feels natural in doing so). Which is a nice change, it would be nice if they found a way to do that with PVP, some form of faction change would be pretty much all that is needed to take away the difference between PVE (now) and PVP as it's always been.
    The main purpose of PVP alliance locks is to try to have as much of 3-way population balance as possible. Aesthetically it has always been a mix since any race any alliance has been a popular extra for a long time. If people could just pick any alliance willy-nilly and change sides on a whim I think we all know what would happen when one side is better than the others. And if they went a step further and allowed guilds to be their own alliance, although a cool system in other MMOs, it would require a lot of big changes to the infrastructure of the game... much more than I'm sure they're willing to do for the minority of us who PVP.

There are also some people who still prefer to do it the old DAoC way and pick one and stick to it. One of my PVP guilds has an AD-only requirement trying to foster that old-fashioned "realm pride" thing.... remember that? All of my characters are AD and only PVP for our royal hotness the queen :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Iselin said:
    Distopia said:
    Torval said:

The main purpose of PVP alliance locks is to try to have as much of 3-way population balance as possible. Aesthetically it has always been a mix since any race any alliance has been a popular extra for a long time. If people could just pick any alliance willy-nilly and change sides on a whim I think we all know what would happen when one side is better than the others. And if they went a step further and allowed guilds to be their own alliance, although a cool system in other MMOs, it would require a lot of big changes to the infrastructure of the game... much more than I'm sure they're willing to do for the minority of us who PVP.

There are also some people who still prefer to do it the old DAoC way and pick one and stick to it. One of my PVP guilds has an AD-only requirement trying to foster that old-fashioned "realm pride" thing.... remember that? All of my characters are AD and only PVP for our royal hotness the queen :)
    Still would like to see them have a FFA PVP campaign, let players make their own factions.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Iselin said:
    Distopia said:
    Torval said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a process to switch factions, I believe EQ2 had something like that. Where a series of quests or something along those lines must be accomplished. I don't think it should be a willy nilly system as that would effect balance. 

YEah the DAOC nostalgia does cause one to frown on the idea, I'm just looking at the disconnect between the PVP and PVE aspects of the game, in one you can help any alliance, in the other you can't. It's jarring and the only real issue I see with the overall experience as it stands now.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    Distopia said:
    Torval said:

I was thinking more along the lines of a process to switch factions, I believe EQ2 had something like that. Where a series of quests or something along those lines must be accomplished. I don't think it should be a willy nilly system as that would effect balance. 

YEah the DAOC nostalgia does cause one to frown on the idea, I'm just looking at the disconnect between the PVP and PVE aspects of the game, in one you can help any alliance, in the other you can't. It's jarring and the only real issue I see with the overall experience as it stands now.

the random looooonnnnnnggggggggggg load screen we get in Cryodiil (pvp) helps me to forget the 'jarring'  rift  of factions helping each other in pve, but not in pvp.

Sz  :)
  • DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Last time I played this was around launch, back when it was p2p. Now I was thinking of finally coming back... but after seeing that One Tamriel video (what a stupid naming convention), I pretty much said forget it.

They keep ruining this game. It was a mistake to buy it in the first place. Scaled levels? No high or low level zoning? This defeats the entire purpose of character progression, of wanting to go somewhere but you cant because of being too weak. What a disaster....
  • xcvx73xcvx73 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Rabenwolf said:
    Last time I played this was around launch, back when it was p2p. Now I was thinking of finally coming back... but after seeing that One Tamriel video (what a stupid naming convention), I pretty much said forget it.

They keep ruining this game. It was a mistake to buy it in the first place. Scaled levels? No high or low level zoning? This defeats the entire purpose of character progression, of wanting to go somewhere but you cant because of being too weak. What a disaster....

Just try to login and play, One Tamriel is now more Elder Scrolls than ever.

And yes..u have character progression...lvl 1-50 is more like a tutorial right now..and after u have Champion Points. Best Gear is CP 160 . So u must progress to acquire it. Until that u must gain skills, train professions..make a lot of activities. Play it and you will see OT is probably the best MMO right now. Only try to give it a chance.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    xcvx73 said:

Just try to login and play, One Tamriel is now more Elder Scrolls than ever.

And yes..u have character progression...lvl 1-50 is more like a tutorial right now..and after u have Champion Points. Best Gear is CP 160 . So u must progress to acquire it. Until that u must gain skills, train professions..make a lot of activities. Play it and you will see OT is probably the best MMO right now. Only try to give it a chance.

Oblivion was one of the worst Elder Scrolls games in my opinion, why? Because they scaled everything in the world to respond to your level. This is lazy game design, its not even good game design. So if they are taking a page from that design element, and putting it in ESO... I really cannot bring myself to playing it.

I do not want to know I can go anywhere... I want to earn the right to go places through character development. Knowing the content I encounter will always scale in relation to my own level pisses me off on a fundamental level. Its almost insulting to me as the player.

I get that not everyone will think this way, and that is fine. To me though its a massive step in the wrong direction.
    Rabenwolf said:
    I do not want to know I can go anywhere... I want to earn the right to go places through character development. Knowing the content I encounter will always scale in relation to my own level pisses me off on a fundamental level. Its almost insulting to me as the player.

I don't agree with you but that's a fair reason to dislike the new system.

However, you couldn't be more wrong with your previous comment:

This defeats the entire purpose of character progression
    Character progression is very real still because it has never been as reliant on levels in ESO as it is in most other RPGs. Unlocking, training and advancing skill lines that are not tied to levels has always been the real progression in ESO.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Iselin said:
    Character progression is very real still because it has never been as reliant on levels in ESO as it is in most other RPGs. Unlocking, training and advancing skill lines that are not tied to levels has always been the real progression in ESO.
    This is so true! I love to go outside and try to find NPCs to pickpocket and level non-combat skill lines. It brings back the RPG to the MMO.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I do like the thief expansion.  It challenging and gives stealth bonuses of which can be combined with other stealth bonuses which gives you nice options to pick your fights in PvE.  I also like the fact that I was able to level up classes just using drops.  Works great for PvE but you do need sets and crafted gear for PvP just to stay competitive.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DishwasherSafeDishwasherSafe Member UncommonPosts: 39
    It sounds like this "One Tamriel" update is a change for the better. I still don't like the combat at all though. It's very janky. I might log in and give it another try though.

Thanks for sharing that video.

[Citation Needed]

"Play Style Matters" 
    - Warren Spector ( System Shock, Deus Ex ) 
  • ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Is this game one of the best Buy2play games out there cause so far I think its the best as far as I've seen.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    It sounds like this "One Tamriel" update is a change for the better. I still don't like the combat at all though. It's very janky. I might log in and give it another try though.

[Citation Needed]

Not a huge fan of the combat either but I figure the questing and lore are enough to make up for that. 
    edited November 2016
    flizzer said:

[Citation Needed]

Not a huge fan of the combat either but I figure the questing and lore are enough to make up for that. 

oops... didn't mean to comment here... even though the combat is AWESOME!!

Sz :
    ApexTKM said:
    Is this game one of the best Buy2play games out there cause so far I think its the best as far as I've seen.

definitely... it has been proven to be the best MMORPG ever!  by scientific procedures!

Sz  :)