Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playstation VR side effects

124»

Comments

• MikaelJordanMikaelJordan Member CommonPosts: 20
    This topic is interesting since I'm thinking of having a VR Set at home too.

After doing some research about the side effect of using VR in long-term (https://goo.gl/CZ4Y82), it makes me a bit scared and reminds me of the movie Inception.

Will it be a stage of side effect that makes us can not distinguish we are in the "real reality" or the 'virtual reality" and the can cause insane consequences?

However, for the gaming industry, this is a gold mine and I'm still interested to know what kind of VR Technologies we can experience in the next few years. 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    After months of using my PSVR I can say with confidence that it pisses off the missus way more than gaming on monitor and TV.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    This topic is interesting since I'm thinking of having a VR Set at home too.

After doing some research about the side effect of using VR in long-term (https://goo.gl/CZ4Y82), it makes me a bit scared and reminds me of the movie Inception.

Will it be a stage of side effect that makes us can not distinguish we are in the "real reality" or the 'virtual reality" and the can cause insane consequences?

However, for the gaming industry, this is a gold mine and I'm still interested to know what kind of VR Technologies we can experience in the next few years. 
    So, my (biased) take on this is:

#1, Vergence-accommodation conflict, looks interesting but it should be noted that this doesn't appear to be the same "type" of eyestrain your mom warned you about (a.k.a. sitting in front of a TV or computer monitor).  I'm trying to dig up an old post somewhere referencing Oculus stating VR should be about as concerning as looking through a rifle scope when it comes to eyestrain.  I can't seem to find it, now.

Not saying there's no cause for concern, but I've been using VR for about a year now and have been OK.

#2 is real, but thankfully it wasn't the case for me as I eased into it and started out with very gentle experiences.

#3 isn't much of an issue for me as the most real-world flailing about I do in VR is turning around in a swivel chair.

#4-#6 are very similar, if I can just call them "psychological factors".  Of course addiction is real (look at the opioid epidemic in the US), but more or less anything can be.  Cigarettes are extremely addictive, but that doesn't stop it from being a multi-billion dollar industry.  "Dissociative experiences" and "game transfer phenomenon" sound very Inception-ist, but let me hazard that in these cases there probably were underlying factors.  It's like the old mary-jane argument: it can uncover pre-existing psychological issues, but does it cause them?  There is a warning in the manual not to use VR if you have any pre-existing psychological issues.

I don't think you have to worry about not being able to distinguish whether you are in real reality or virtual reality.

#7 seems like filler: it's really only there to state 'we don't know what we don't know'.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• StrikeboyStrikeboy Member CommonPosts: 28
    i found this topic gather interesting, anymore side effects that can be shared?