Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time to replace my PC.

OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
edited October 2016 in Hardware
So I think it's finally time to replace my PC. It's feeling a bit outdated for me nowadays. I'm also trying to do other things like stream and it's very difficult for my current PC to play and stream most games. I'm quite happy with how long it's lasted and for how cheap it was to build.

I have a couple options and questions however.

#1 I can replace everything except my GPU (I currently have a GTX 970).

#2 Replace everything including my GPU. I wouldn't be completely opposed to buying like a 1080 if the power increase is significant. And I'm sure I could sell my 970 for $300 or something. (I will do more research on the differences between the two cards)

Now, my question, NCIX lets you order parts separately through them, and then for an extra $60 they will build it for you. I kind of like the idea of it being done by somebody who knows more about PCs than I do, at least I could know it's done right and everything works. But if their selection is bad/overpriced then I guess I could just take it to a PC shop and let them build it for me, idk.

Anyways, yeah, I'm looking for a pretty good PC build that will let me stream and play new releases and upcoming releases for hopefully a good amount of time, I guess my price range would be around ~2500 (or less if I'm not replacing the card, still undecided lol). Please also let me know what you think I should do regarding the GPU too, cuz I'm really not too sure. Tyvm!

When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
Post edited by OhhPaigey on

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    NCIX is based on Canada, so their prices tend to be competitive if you're in Canada and not if you live elsewhere.

What else do you have in your old computer?
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited October 2016
    Quizzical said:
    NCIX is based on Canada, so their prices tend to be competitive if you're in Canada and not if you live elsewhere.

What else do you have in your old computer?
    Yeah, I'm from Canada (shoulda mentioned that lol).

MSI Z77A-GD65 Motherboard

Antec HCG-620M 620W ATX12V Modular SINGLE-RAIL 48A 80PLUS Bronze 135mm Fan

Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail

Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte 16GB 2X8GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    NCIX has competitive pricing. You can cross reference pretty much anything with any NA site and they're competitive once you figure in the exchange.

Don't be shy to compare pricing with anything. Pretty easy and quick to do on the internet ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited October 2016
    You should really see a chiropractor with your ongoing neck problems :/

• TeccaTecca Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Is your rig aimed at gaming in general, or just MMOs? The 970 should be fine for either for a while, but the 1080 will give you an insane upgrade over the 970. If the money isn't a problem and the rig isn't exclusively for MMOs/streaming, I'd pick up the 1080.

1080 will also be much better for high-resolution gaming, and high-res videos are great for YouTube these days if you're going that route. Buuut, if you want to save money, I still think the 970 is completely relevant today. You could spend the extra cash on other parts or save it.
    Volgore said:
    You should really see a chiropractor with your ongoing neck problems :/
    No need for that.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Really the only thing you should think about updating is the processor and maybe a SSD if you don't got one already.  But if you plan on doing the whole VR thing then the vid card probably need a 1080.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    I wonder how a prebuilt system works.  Parts aren't exactly glued into place and seem like they'd be prone to damage through shipping.

My first computer was a Dell and it was prebuilt, but they used proprietary parts that were locked into place.  I wonder how they handle that with just regular parts not meant to withstand shipping...

If it's secure, I don't think $60 is too much to pay to have them put it together, especially if there is some guarantee.

Putting a computer together isn't incredibly hard, but it can be nerve-wracking and annoying.

As for if you need to upgrade or not, I guess it depends on the performance you're getting and the games you want to play/stream.

970 is still a good card.  Can probably still play everything out at max- but I don't know what strains are put on a card for streaming (although I imagine the strain is more on your CPU).
    Right now my resolution is at 1920x1080 120hz. Maybe I'll change that eventually, but not right now.

I play all games, Rust, PoE, WoW, ect. My CPU is an issue while streaming mostly. I like the 970 but I'm kind of tempted to buy something better, maybe not right away though.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I would not go from the 970 to a 1080. A jump up 2 grades typically isn't worth it. Usually want to jump up at least 3 grades or you are buying high priced hardware too often. It will net you about an 80% increase in gaming performance, but still better to wait for at least the next generation. Also if you sell the 970, it will probably be less than $200 right now. The prices on current GPUs are finally stabilizing.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited October 2016
    My two cents at this stage:

A new computer isn't going to be a whole lot faster than the current computer. If streaming is causing you issues, it's either your ISP sucks, your streaming software sucks or isn't set up to transcode properly, or your hard drive setup is lagging it out. Those are pretty easy to pin point and correct.

A computer that works as an entire unit is worth a lot more than a computer that has everything except 1 part. Keep the 970 in the existing computer and sell/donate/reuse it as-is, and rebuild your entire new rig, with a new GPU, if that's what  you decide to do.

You almost certainly won't get $300 for a used 970 today.

Personally, I think you were on the right track with overclocking. You won't get a lot out of it, but you won't get a lot more out of buying a brand new Skylake either, and the latter is certainly a hell of a lot more expensive.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Off-hand streaming sounds like a bandwidth problem.  I'll assume you've done some speed tests to eliminate that as the problem.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Mafia 3 also doesn't run well right now, especially on nVidia hardware.
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited October 2016
    I did some googling and it seems that your cpu should not cap out, and the reason it looks like it does is becuase the programs misreads how the cpu is working.

also over clocking can help, but should not be necessary

a good way to tell if the cpu is the problem is if when you lower the graphic settings and you get more fps you know it then can handle more

but if you lower the graphic settings of the game and the fps stays the same then its a cpu bottle neck problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2gv6to/any_modern_i5_or_i7_will_not_bottleneck_the_970980/

what about gpu usage? if its at 100% it could be that the gpu is not powerful enough at a certain graphic settings.

but you did say you could not play certain games which means there is a problem but it doesnt make sense how it is the cpu.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944
    edited October 2016
    fundamentally a rebuild would be centered on the motherboard (mobo) as the components interact through it.
    cpu wise, the socket insert to the mobo is of concern. Last year's ddr4 Broadwell (intel 5th gen) lga 2011.3, x99 mobo chipset (2013 Haswell era socket) had low yields, the overheating (140W) Skylake (6th gen) improvement by the end of 2015, was lga 1151/2066 with the z170 chipset.

Kaby lake (intel 7th gen cpu, 14nm) by 2q2017 will be another slight  haswell improvement but w10 only, 95W, lga 2066/1151 and a "z270" chipset. http://wccftech.com/intel-kaby-lake-200-series-chipset-processor-platform/

Cannonlake (10nm intel cpu, kaby lake shrink ) by mid 2017 (low yield likely) and the Icelake replacement end 2018 will be where most functional rebuilds will occur.
    Tigerlake (10nm shrink) in 2019 is just too far away to plan on. http://wccftech.com/intel-10nm-cannonlake-ice-lake-tiger-lake-cpu/

As far as 'streaming' goes 1Gb/s broadband/fiber through the isp and ethernet 10/100/1000 will source that. Gogel fiber 1Gb/s i think is like us$100/mo, cable tv isp should be rolling out 1Gb/s at ~ us$80 by the end of this year.

At the moment the us$600ish gddr5 gpu for dx 11 and 12 gaming are the norm but struggle in 4 and 8K display . 7680x4320, 10b colour, (30b for rgb), 120Hz, needs 120Gb/s bandwidth (15GB/s). Free sync (amd) is supposed to be beter than g sync (nvidia).
    decent 27-31" displays can cost us$800 to 1k each.
    Maby by 2019 we will have affordable hemispheric holo or actual oled?

As far as upgrade goes sticking with W7 sp1, and getting a z170 chipset mobo vs waiting for the z270 mobo next year. High-end CPUs are not likely to be content with a two-year-old mobo.
    http://wccftech.com/msi-intel-z270-chipset-motherboard-kaby-lake/

In January 2016, Microsoft announced that it would end support of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 on Skylake processors effective July 17, 2017.
    On March 18, 2016, in response to criticism over the move, primarily from enterprise customers, M$ announced revisions to the support policy, changing the cutoff for support and non-critical updates to July 17, 2018 and stating that Skylake users would receive all critical security updates for Windows 7 and 8.1 through the end of extended support.

Post edited by bhug on

Thanks for the replies.

I get about 150 download 10 upload here, I know when it's dropping frames or I'm lagging in-game. But I also know that my CPU usage goes to 100% quite often. Mafia 3 for example, lowest settings on 60 FPS, was maxing out my CPU and not only getting low frame rates but causing the game to stutter and lock up.

Path of Exile is another game that really seems to push my PC to the limit when trying to stream. It's not unlikely to have 100% CPU usage streaming that either. In it's defense I'll probably have quite a few things running in the background, youtube, twitch chat, steam, skype, mostly.

My HDD and SSD has been an issue since day 1, but could that really be maxing out my CPU? Some people suggested wiping my HDD and SSD, I did that maybe 2-3 years ago, could that be a potential fix?

Maybe I need to just replace my HDD/SDD? If it's anything more than that I'm not really comfortable doing it myself, hence me just wanting to build a new PC.

Also from my previous posts on here when asking about upgrading to the 970, I think my PSU is also pretty close to it's limits. Taking OCing out of the question.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    i7 4790 will solve all the cpu problems for 300$ and it works with your mobo

What SSD and HDD are you using btw?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    filmoret said:
    i7 4790 will solve all the cpu problems for 300$ and it works with your mobo

What SSD and HDD are you using btw?
    I'm not even sure tbh. It looks like I will just be ordering that i7 4790 and a new SSD and HDD. Hopefully that fixes the problems for now.