Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PSVR is here, but is it worth it?

maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
excerpts from the article : http://www.gq.com/story/playstation-vr-review

"Playstation VR works. It is possibly the most ergonomic and comfortable headset on the market, it is remarkably simple to set up (although four extra cables it comes with will provide quite possibly the greatest aesthetic challenge your entertainment center has seen to date) and you don’t need an expensive computer to power everything—just a Playstation 4."

"The experience of using the thing, however, is a bit more dicey. You’ve got to make sure you’ve set up the required camera at an angle that captures your full range of motion. You’ve got to be ready to tinker with that camera endlessly if you go from a game that asks you to sit to a game that asks you to stand. (There is often no indication whatsoever as to which option is ideal for each game until you’ve started it up, i.e., you’re wearing the headset. This is frustrating.) Things get a little hairy when using the often-recommended motion controllers, and the images you see are sometimes a little fuzzy, because the Playstation 4 is three-year-old hardware that can not push it to the limit."

"Playstation VR—and VR in general—requires a huge buy-in for a series of relatively brief and sometimes disappointing experiences. Sony has sent a chunk of their launch lineup to reviewers in order to provide a well-rounded glimpse of what the platform has to offer, and how much you’ll enjoy it all depends how much value you place on novelty and how much faith you have in Sony and developers to continue to make interesting experiences for it in the future. (Oh, and also how prone you are to throwing up from motion sickness. Certain VR games, particularly the sort where extensive in-game movement is required—like the tank-battle gameBattlezone, or the mech-basketball insanity of Rigs: Mechanized Combat League—are a one-way ticket to vom-town. There’s also the low-key headache I found myself nursing after extensive use, but you shouldn’t really VR for more than an hour without some sort of break anyway.)"

"But for as much as I like Arkham VR, it's also a game that highlights all the shortcomings of PS VR. It’s not so much a complete experience as it is a slice of one. ....  In short, it’s the perfect example of what VR does well, and what it does poorly."

"The newness of VR has placed an inordinate emphasis on what games can do in it without thinking too much about whether or not they should. "

"The thinness of VR experiences means that you’ll need variety to chase that high, and variety can get expensive when you’re spending $20 to $60 per experience."

So what do you think?  With the new influx of VR gamers that PSVR will bring in,  will it finally be worth it to pay for the mid-range to high-end VR rigs?   Will it even be worth it in the future to invest in VR for long term gaming?  Thoughts? 

Comments

• UltimaJenkoUltimaJenko Member UncommonPosts: 35
    PSVR looks good for people who can't afford a high end PC and the higher end Oculus/Vive. Although I find it stupid they don't include a camera and move included in the bundle. Considering the headset doesn't work without the camera it just doesn't make much sense. Positive for VR in general though!
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I can't really say what I will or will not do.. my plan was to purchase it,  but it was also based on the premise that their release games were going to be far and away better experiences than what I'm already used to.  

VR in general is getting to the stage of maturity where there are a lot of peripherals out for a lot of devices... daydream is on the verge of launching with its own controller,  Gear VR has room scale applications,  and overall we're seeing a lot more progress via hardware then we are with software.

We're getting close to over a year from release of commercial versions and nearly 5 years for development kits.  I would imagine this would be about the time to see some really solid titles.