Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XBox One - RPG / Coop Suggestions

cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
Hi folks,

So, it is my brother's 28th birthday at the end of the month and we're considering chipping in to get him an Xbox One S. You can currently pre-order an Xbox One S with Battlefield 1 for £250 which seems a great deal and this console will likely have to last my brother 5-7 years as he's always broke. 

I'm out of the loop for console gaming so I'm looking for suggestions on additional games to get. 

Top of the list is RPGs. We're both massively into RPGs but have felt let down in recent years. Open worlds and interesting high-fantasy is his preferred type of RPG (like older final fantasies, or Skyrim, or Sacred). He's quite easy to please, so ARPGs can be included in suggestions, or interactive stories like Dragon Age 2. If it comes with local coop then even better (my brother and I owned virtually all local coop rpgs on the 360). 

Next on the list is just any decent local coop games. I'm looking for suggestions for games he can play with his girlfriend (she's a really bad gamer so needs to be easy! for example, she struggles with skyrim despite sinking 200 hrs into it....) as well as games I might play with him. We really enjoyed playing Las Vegas 2 together, as well as Gears of War, plus some racers, worms etc. If it can go up to 4 player local coop then that is an absolute winner!

Finally, I have a question about backwards compatibility. I know some games are now backwards compatible, but are any controllers the same? For example, I have a full guitar hero setup (2x guitar, drums, mic) - can they be used on the xbox 1?

Thanks very much for your time

Comments

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Dragon Age Inquisition is a decent RPG and the GOTY editionis really cheap now so you get good value there. As for a racing game Xbox is the home of Forza which is excellent. Horizon 3 has just released and is just the best arcade style racer out there but if you prefer a sim type more then go for Forza Motorsport 6.
    The new Worms W.M.D is good fun and the new Gears of War is due for release soon as is Skyrim Remastered which looks really nice.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Hi WW,

Thanks very much for the response. I've always been wary of the Dragon Age games - I disliked the first one and the second was a disaster - but my bro likes them so may get him that!

I'd also forgotten about Skyrim special edition, that seems like a good shout!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    If you enjoyed Skyrim then Elder Scrolls Online is pretty good, no subscription required either.
    Thanks for the response guys. 

We've settled on Divinity: Original Sin as the second game. Looks to be a pretty big coop RPG and has great reviews. Might be a bit too deep for my brothers girlfriend but sounds like you can drop-in / drop-out of multiplayer so if she struggles he can just play solo. 

Might also get him DA:I too depending on funds. 

ESO unfortunately is a no-go. I've tried getting my brother interested in MMOs before but he shows zero interest. Plus, I doubt he'll go for xbox live (my brother is one of those people who manages to make all tech fail, internet always seems to fail for him!)
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    The Witcher 3.

GTA 5

Dark Souls 3

Mafia 3

Skyrim Enhanced with mods. 

Fallout 4

Destiny

Farcry Primal

Neverwinter Online. 
    AlbertPropst

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    edited October 2016
    The Witcher 3 & Skyrim for solo RPG goodness.

Co op with his GF I would say Diablo 3. Its good for many many hours of couch co op fun and isnt too deep that the GF wouldnt be able to play.

On the plus side D3 is really cheap now and TW3 has been out awhile and has gone down in price.

If you looking at racing games try Forza Horizens 2. FH3 is out but still full price, FH2 is cheap now that 3 is out and is a very good arcade racer.
  • FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Couch coop unfortunately is a thing of the past, I don't think you will see too many titles in the future, some titles have already opted out of putting in a split screen mode. There's always the multitude of Lego games though, lol.

if you want what is in my opinion the best split screen coop games then I highly recommend you pick up Borderlands: The Handsome Collection, which is basically 2 of the borderlands games that were on the 360 originally. Best fun I have had playing splitcreen and the games are not short like your call of duty games for example, you will get many hours of fun out of them both. 
    Flem said:
    Couch coop unfortunately is a thing of the past, I don't think you will see too many titles in the future, some titles have already opted out of putting in a split screen mode. There's always the multitude of Lego games though, lol.

Yeh, I agree that couch-coop is definitely a thing of the past. My brother and I owned pretty much every single coop RPG on the 360 and a lot of other coop games too, but it didn't amount to many. 

I'm of the opinion that if you want the best single player or online experience, PC is by far the superior platform. But, couch-coop is just so much fun! Been playing coop games for nearly 20 years now and no other experience in gaming is as much fun. MMOs tend to offer more depth and nearly fulfil the social side, but having a few drinks, smokes and playing coop is awesome. Its why I bought a Wii U for myself - its by far the best console for coop games (even if they're childish!). 

I expect the xbone will end up mostly for single player, but as my bro's gf is buying it for him she at least wants to start out with a coop game!
  • AlbertPropstAlbertPropst Member CommonPosts: 4
    I am with Dark Souls 3, Forza motorsport 6 & 7, the Division.
  • PraiseJeebusPraiseJeebus Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Hi!

Me and a friend went through pretty much the same, looking for a game that could have us drop out when needed but play together when wer both on. We finally settled on Conan exiles and rented a private server for the occasion. Would love to have you on our team.

Check out https://forums.funcom.com/t/x1-eu-pve-server-3x-harvest-xp-looking-for-mature-players/14258 for more info.

hope to see you ingame.

regards J
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Path of Exile
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited August 2019
    edit: nevermind ,didn't notice someone necro'd this thread.

• megav13megav13 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Nice game  I prefer Console Xbox more than PC
  • LiveStreamLiveStream Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    IPL Schedule 2020
    Everyone is very excited for the Season of India Premier League 2020. So we are here If you are looking for Vivo Schedule IPL 2020, IPL Table 2020, Live Score, etc. Then you are the perfect place for the IPL 2020 Emerging Season. The IPL has a large fan base around the world and is the largest cricket series that meets worldwide and in 2014 it was sixth in all sports series.
  • maulibels85maulibels85 Newbie CommonPosts: 1

My friend and I are going to Game Stop tomorrow to look for some rpg games where you can play co-op story mode and mabye other fun co-op modes. Any suggestions or helpful comments are appreciated.

• asad0096asad0096 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    EURO 2020
    Flagship channel ESPN will show 39 Euro 2020 matches live on television in high definition, whereas ESPN2 will telecast seven games. 
  • michael43michael43 Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Consider kabuki warriors if you love to play with Japanese popular characters like kabuki, noh, oni, hannya, etc. This is a fighting game. The characters are very interesting in this game. The character names I have mentioned above are basically masks names that characters wear during missions.