Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any MMOs for duos?

SeriphinXSeriphinX Member UncommonPosts: 19
I know that a lot of mmos allow you to join together and quest, etc.  Some even let you have mercenaries to fill out your roster for a group (EQ 1 and 2).  I was just curious if there were any that had specific mechanics for couples to play.  Me and my wife like WoW, been doing it for a while.  We're not big fans of the whole 'play perfect or get kicked' mentality.  We're pretty casual.  So it would be nice to have our fate in just our hands, where no innocent bystanders get caught up in our mistakes lol.  Although we play pretty accurately I might add.  

Looking for PVE obviously.  Cool art style.  Perhaps out of combat activities, whether its crafts, or jump puzzles (I like those a lot).  But most importantly, can be done with just two or three people.  This includes any instances.  I harbor no illusions of raiding or large scale grouping.  I'd be open to world grouping like Rift had I believe.  Mainly curious about 'less than 5' type dungeons or instances where completing them still netted some type of reward.  Don't hate me, I was hardcore once upon a time.  Getting older with kids, not enough time to grind and pour over stat analysis. 

Thanks.

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Aion

Most of the instances / dungeons allow up to a full group of 6 but if you want to try with just 2 people you can.   

If you all make a Healer / DPS combo you should be good.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2016
    EQ2 is great for this , as you can each bring a merc , rounded out your group nicley ..

LOTRO also
  • 7SilentNights7SilentNights Member UncommonPosts: 16
    edited October 2016
    Are you in to foreign games by any chance? I'd love to recommend Phantasy Star Online 2 with the English patches. (majority of the game can patched, including the subtitles in the cut-scenes)

Most of the game can be played solo or duo. I'd say the only part of it that can't be are the daily scheduled EQ's(event dungeons/quests). Which those are not mandatory to do at all.

PSO2 also has this Friend Partner system that will allow you guys to party with each others characters, even when you both are not online. 

I have a friend that has put 800+ hours in the game and most of that time was played solo.
  • TheFunky1TheFunky1 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited October 2016
    I will also recommend EQ2 and Station all-access but mostly because my wife loves that game and has put many hours into it.  A cool feature you will a lot of later in the game is many instances that are made for duo's  So either you go as a team or one of you can Solo and bring a merc.  There are many group dungeons that you can duo for gear, quests and fun as well if you give it a couple levels to where they arent yellow or orange to you.

There is an incredible amount to do in this game from quests all over the world, a diverse crafting system and monthly events.  Some people even literally play this game to acquire and decorate houses and it has to have one of the most diverse systems for that.

In EQ2 it's pretty slow to level but man is there so much to do.  Quest lines are just everywhere so you don't have to follow the same path on alts.   Mercenaries are a separate one time purchase to enable for an account.  The very newest content requires a purchase of the latest expansion or you can FTP it up to that point if you just want to check it out.

If you do end up playing it and happen to choose the Halls of Fate server, PM me here and I'll swing buy in game and offer some starter money and a few tips about where to go.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    SWToR has been my wife's and I mainstay for a while. Even personal story can be teamed. We have played 100% of the content teamed. Also its the most modern MMO out thats not twitch combat. Good old trinity system. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    City of Heroes.  Oh wait, that is gone.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 543
    Lord of the rings online

Pure PvE. Nice crafting.
    Many of content can be soloed/duoe'd. Some instances can be run by 2 players, others may be for 3.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2016
    Tbh, WoW is perfect right now for people that dont have a lot of time, if you're open to sub base (can buy token with in game money which is pretty easy to get later on). Though I have my own opinions about the game, many people with limited amounts of time to play and also play at various times seem to find it rewarding and easy to start/stop doing things.

TSW/TESO/GW2/Revelations (cbt starting later this month) are all good titles mentioned earlier for duo.

Neverwinter is pretty good as well, although I wouldn't recommend it for its pvp since its heavily p2w, but the pve is actually pretty good and can easily find people to do stuff with or just solo/duo.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Divinity: Original Sin. I know it's not an MMO and you're looking for one, but give that game a try, best co-op experience I had for a long time. Especially you can literally argue over decisions in game with your characters and your stat would help you win the arguments. You gotta invest in those stats more than strength and such if you want to have control of the family! ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Torval said:
    Lord of the Rings Online - game is great for duos, solo, and sm/lg group. Crafting is useful and pretty well done, but it's a bit grindy and easy for a class to out level while adventuring. Can be played fairly cheaply. The environments and music are awesome. The character models and animations aren't aging as well, but you can judge for yourself. The RP aspects, even on a non-RP server, are very immersive.

There is a ton of content for players from 2+. If you got a third it would probably go even smoother for scaling instances. The scaling instances come in a few different flavors and types but generally allow for a varied party size and level.

The sub goes a long way. For 3 months it's only $30 and it unlocks almost all quest packs except a couple of expansions. On top of that it includes 1500 in game cash (about $20).

Star Wars: TOR - You can do a ton in this game duo. The crafting isn't as well done as LotRO, but the story arcs with voiceovers are excellent. The environments are nice. There is a bit of zoning across planets and such. Not bad, but it doesn't feel fully open. Group sizes vary, but really work best in 2 or 4 person sets.

The game is subscription optional. You can play and try it for free. You can even play for free or just through microtransactions, but the sub is the best way to go. It also provides a cash shop stipend. I don't tend to use mine a lot when I'm subbed. I save it to unlock stuff for when I'm not playing enough to justify the sub.

The Elder Scrolls Online - This, along with LotRO feels the most like an oldschool MMORPG to me. There are zones in this game, as there are in LotRO, but the maps are huge and, other than buildings, you don't feel the zones. It feels very open. Classes can be what you want and group sizes are pretty flexible. A duo or trio can go a long way in the game. Crafting is excellent and useful, but not absolutely necessary as you can get comparable gear in zones. ESO has a lot of choice in playstyles and gaming preferences.

Guild Wars 2 - This is on game I mostly only like to play with a friend. You can solo (I'm a soloer), but the soloing isn't that fun unless I have a regular play partner to take on some of the more challenging stuff.

GW2 is a F2P/B2P hybrid with a cash shop. Easy to play without spending a lot.

Some others I won't detail but I think work well duo or trio are: Neverwinter, The Secret World (very gritty and immersive), Wildstar (it has a whole profession dedicated to exploration and jumping puzzles), and EQ2.

Also if you just want some hack-n-slash fun Diablo III is awesome in a duo.

Let us know what you do and how it goes.

EQ2 is more like old school mmos than ESO could ever be. EQ2 was made for duo and has more content than ESO could ever dream of. 

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    GuildWars 2 good fun with 2 playing together, good story, alot of funny jumping puzzles and fun gameplay.
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    I have fun playing Darkfall casually... the world is HUGE and there is so much to do... I used to play it with my GF and she loved it much more than WOW. She even played it without me lots. You don't have to be into PVP to love the game.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA