Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Apple email scam made me laugh.

CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
I got a weird email from Apple that I purchased something. I haven't used my Apple account in years and it has a 20 character password. What was funny was the charges. It was for 2 songs totaling $74 in value with a 20% VAT added of $0.20. It had quite a few errors and the songs themselves cost like $1.49. At the bottom it gave a link to cancel the transaction. Of course I didn't click the link as it was an obvious fishing attempt.
Then soon after I got another email from Apple that someone tried to log into my account and was unsuccessful due to the number of login attempts. Yet I should assume they got in and made the charges. Mind you it is a 20 character password. It would take months of filling in password attempts to succeed. It then told me my account would be wiped if I don't reset my password within 48 hours and once again gave another fishing link.
I then went directly to Apple, logged in and saw no new charges. Even if they attempted to charge something on the account it would fail since I don't have a CC on file.

Comments

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    edited September 2016
    I laugh at this stuff, too. But then I think about my 84 year old mother trying to use her new tablet and get on the internet for the first time. And I can just envision her going for this kind of bullshit like a trout for a fly. These scammers are praying on the weakest members of society, and they are truly evil people.
  • Lord_WolfLord_Wolf Member UncommonPosts: 6
    lol I do agree though, despite how obvious it is, there will always be those that fall prey.