Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steelseries Rival 500 MMO/MOBA Gaming Mouse: A Smart Reinvention of the MMO Mouse a Hardware Reviews

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2016 in News & Features Discussion

imageSteelseries Rival 500 MMO/MOBA Gaming Mouse: A Smart Reinvention of the MMO Mouse a Hardware Reviews at MMORPG.com

An MMO gaming mouse can be quite the intimidating thing. At first glance, the sheer amount of buttons looks unnatural, and making the transition to thumb control after years of hammering away at the keyboard is also no small feat. But ask any MMO player who’s made the jump and they’ll tell you how badly you’ve been missing out.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Maybe when my Naga gives out I will pick one of these up. Even though my Naga has 12 buttons on the side I really only use the first 6 anyways with most games today.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2016
    I wasn't in the market for a new mouse, but I think now I am.

Damn you Steelseries for making me use my money.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    [SPONSORED]
    zimike

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Does Razor have a patent on the Naga side buttons cause i cant see how any other company could think their design is superior to the comfort and accessibility of the Naga. Why would anyone buy any other mouse especially for MMO's
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    For me the fancy mice are a sore point, I can't use any of them, I'm left handed.
    Oh sure some of the companies say they have a left handed model, but funny thing is the stores don't have them and claim they can't order them and the company that makes them won't let you order a left handed mouse from them either. (Or at least with all the ones I've tried so far.)
    Lefties are about 15% of the gaming population, and tend to get left out by the fancy ergonomic hardware.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894

barasawa said:

For me the fancy mice are a sore point, I can't use any of them, I'm left handed.

Oh sure some of the companies say they have a left handed model, but funny thing is the stores don't have them and claim they can't order them and the company that makes them won't let you order a left handed mouse from them either. (Or at least with all the ones I've tried so far.)

Lefties are about 15% of the gaming population, and tend to get left out by the fancy ergonomic hardware.

I've been left handed my entire life. I learned to use a mouse right handed. It's easier.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Being a southpaw, my choices in mice are very limited :(

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Grakulen said:

barasawa said:

I've been left handed my entire life. I learned to use a mouse right handed. It's easier.
    I've tried but I just can't do it.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• brieenbrieen Member UncommonPosts: 71
    southpaw here i had to learn to mouse with both hands depending on the game i was playing. Damn you people for not making a good southpaw gaming MOUSE!!!!!!!!

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Brieen - UO,DAOC,WOW,SB,EQ,EQII,EVE,LOTR,D&D,Rift,FFXI and some others I dont care to list......

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    thunderC said:
    Does Razor have a patent on the Naga side buttons cause i cant see how any other company could think their design is superior to the comfort and accessibility of the Naga. Why would anyone buy any other mouse especially for MMO's
    I don' tthink they do as I just bought a 12 thumb button mouse from another manufacturer recently, name is on the tip of my tongue and won't come off though!
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

laserit said:

Grakulen said:

barasawa said:

I've tried but I just can't do it.

My Dad and a friend of mine are both right handed but both use the mouse with their left hand. I have a feeling thats just how they initially learned how to use a computer so it kind of stuck that way for them.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    In all this years I have not been able to find something better then Logitech G700. Every button is just at right place, plenty of them. And mine is now lasting 5 years of daily heavy use. I only had once to clean under buttons. And explicitly disliked Naga with zillion of thumb buttns that strained thumb.
  • TheFunky1TheFunky1 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited September 2016
    It looks pretty decent and the button arrangement seems well placed at first glance.  How a mouse fits in your hand makes such a big difference that it is hard to tell without a test run.  The thumb-rest thing looks decent but i wonder how awkward it would be to use that as a button when its normally a rest.

I have had quite a few mice and i will say that the razor naga really sucked for me, software glitches, occasional stutter and worst of all the ergonomics felt off as it was so small.  The logitech m600, while very similar, was vastly superior for me.  Felt better and had less problems through its lifespan until it gave in to a broken left clicker.

I replaced all other mice with a Mionix and I can't say enough about the ergonomics, software and consistency of it.  Just exceptional.  It does however lack the many extra buttons of the others(only 2 extra on the thumb side), but ive learned to alt-bind better.
  • JMulla2016JMulla2016 Member UncommonPosts: 12
    The buttons below the thumbrest look slightly problematic, everything else looks fine. Would love to try it out.

Any info on the price?
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Yeah definitely 12 buttons on thumb is not a razor patent. Logitech and Reddragon have those mice too.

• JimWraithJimWraith Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Well having used both Razer and Steelseries mice, I have to promote Steelseries as the go to brand. I'm currently using a Rival now and enjoy it. It has also already lasted a year longer than my last Razor mouse.

As to the Southpaw argument, I'm a Southpaw and I've always used my mice right handed. To be honest I don't think I've ever met a fellow Southpaw who's used a mouse in their left hand. Makes the occurrence seem really rare to me.
  • Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205

Grakulen said:

barasawa said:

I'm left handed too and use my right hand exclusively. It actually never occurred to me to use my left hand. At this point I'm pretty ambidextrous. One time it is a pain is when doing 3d work, as most software uses the left side of the keyboard since you need to operate it with one hand... it isn't a massive problem though.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I'm also a southpaw and I've always just used my right hand for mouse operation. Though this would never work for me. I've been a Logitech G600 fan and will continue to buy them for as long as I can. you can't argue with a $42 gaming mouse that in my opinion outperforms the $100 Razer Naga. The Naga has really only 12 buttons with using ctrl + shift modifiers on the keyboard. The G600 technically has 24 buttons because of the G-Shift key next to the right mouse button.

This in my opinion make the Logitech G600 the best MMO mouse money can buy. Nothing else comes close.
  • jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    The Rival 500 is really tempting. I'm currently using the Naga, and have been for a number of years now. Steelseries has got what looks to be a really nice mouse here though....

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Twitch : dren_utogi
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

TheFunky1 said:

It looks pretty decent and the button arrangement seems well placed at first glance.  How a mouse fits in your hand makes such a big difference that it is hard to tell without a test run.  The thumb-rest thing looks decent but i wonder how awkward it would be to use that as a button when its normally a rest.

I have had quite a few mice and i will say that the razor naga really sucked for me, software glitches, occasional stutter and worst of all the ergonomics felt off as it was so small.  The logitech m600, while very similar, was vastly superior for me.  Felt better and had less problems through its lifespan until it gave in to a broken left clicker.

I replaced all other mice with a Mionix and I can't say enough about the ergonomics, software and consistency of it.  Just exceptional.  It does however lack the many extra buttons of the others(only 2 extra on the thumb side), but ive learned to alt-bind better.

Not bad at all actually! The buttons aren't so light that they'll click just from having your thumb there. When I misclicked, it was mainly when I was first putting my hand on the mouse or picking it up to physically move it. When you're normally using it, the grips are a nice indicator of proper position, and keep you from slipping down and pressing by accident pretty well. Pretty much the opposite of what I expected when I first unboxed it.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

l.e.d. om the palm, not good for sweaters

I didn't notice any heat to make that problem worse, and it's sealed, so it shouldn't be an issue.

The Rival 500 is really tempting. I'm currently using the Naga, and have been for a number of years now. Steelseries has got what looks to be a really nice mouse here though....

The Naga was my main mouse for years. The Rival is wider and feels more substantial because of it (even while being a little lighter), so now it just feels kind of chintzy. Never expected that to happen, let me tell you.

The buttons below the thumbrest look slightly problematic, everything else looks fine. Would love to try it out.

Any info on the price?

Brand new, so it's still selling for MSRP $79.99. It is more expensive, but feels more durable right off the bat. That may be a result of the rubberized finish and the wider body, though.