Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does a wild west-themed game appeal to you?

45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
edited September 2016 in Polls
I've been thinking about this idea for about a week now, and I just wanted to see if there's any interest in a wild west/frontier themed MMORPG, circa 1865-1880.

Note: this is a poll about a theme, and only a theme. I have not mentioned any gameplay mechanics in the OP because I only want votes on the theme unbiased by mentioning specifics (that is not to say that I don't want to discuss possible mechanics in the comments, however).

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I think it could be a lot of fun if done right.

I self identify as a monkey.

• reisujreisuj Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I'd love to see a game whether mmorpg, single player, or co-op that is based on the Deadlands tabletop weird west game. 
    Nyctelios said:
    After reading Priest (forget that crappy movie) and watching Preacher with the scenes in hell I NEED A FUCKING GAME SET ON WEST WITH MAGIC/SUPERNATURAL ELEMENTS! GIMME!
    I enjoyed the movie, but I like those kinds, even the bad ones.  It would be a good setting.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    A good game would appeal to me. I don't really care what the genre/theme is.
    Nyctelios said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Nyctelios said:
    After reading Priest (forget that crappy movie) and watching Preacher with the scenes in hell I NEED A FUCKING GAME SET ON WEST WITH MAGIC/SUPERNATURAL ELEMENTS! GIMME!
    I enjoyed the movie, but I like those kinds, even the bad ones.  It would be a good setting.
    You don't get it. The original comics has nothing to do with that. Is a complete different plot. It's not futuristic. It's wild west with demons and angels.
    In this, I probably have an advantage.  I have no idea about the comics, so I could just watch the movie.  I find that books are the same.  Movies are a bit better if you don't read the book and just enjoy the film.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    It does greatly but I kinda prefer to play an MMO based in The Dark Tower.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Nyctelios said:
    You mean like the movie cowboys and aliens?  Now that was different.  :)

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Just take the horses and breeding from BDO, add the Outlaw from Skyforge, the farming and justice system from ArcheAge, and you got a nice Frankenstein there.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ApexTKMApexTKM Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Its not fantasy so yes it would interest me.
    The acronym MMORPG use to mean Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game.

But the acronym MMMORPG now currently means Microscopic Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game. Kappa.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I would be much more interested in a Wild Wild West type of game with a steampunk element, or a Deadlands type of game with a supernatural element and magic.  
  • coolster50coolster50 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I would be interested in a Wild West/Frontier game. Would be even more fun if it had sandbox elements
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Me too, also liked Jonah Hex
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I would be interested in a Wild West/Frontier game. Would be even more fun if it had sandbox elements
    It would have to be. player made gangs and tribes. Territory control and stuff. Basically Age of Wushu in the Wild west w/o p2w... I have a dream...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    @coolster50: Indeed. Running a saloon, operating a ranch, hunting outlaws for bounties, robbing trains and banks, etc.
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    4507 said:
    I've been thinking about this idea for about a week now, and I just wanted to see if there's any interest in a wild west/frontier themed MMORPG, circa 1865-1880.

Note: this is a poll about a theme, and only a theme. I have not mentioned any gameplay mechanics in the OP because I only want votes on the theme unbiased by mentioning specifics (that is not to say that I don't want to discuss possible mechanics in the comments, however).
    I've wanted this forever, but for me it would need the following:

1.  Massive open world with no instances
    2.  Must be a pure sandbox
    3.  Open world pvp with karma systems that make you either red, neutral, or friendly with tribes and other groups.
    4.  Professions like SWG had, for example mastering Law would allow you to be a sheriff and you could run bountys on the red's.

Something like this would be amazing.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Depends on how it will be delivered.

For instance, one of the reasons why some people (including me) getting bored so easily after played Aura Kingdom isn't because it has anime-inspired theme, but as a result of poor gameplay design and too much repetitive contents.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    Nyctelios said:
    I know this scene. This is when Fiore and DeBlanc woke up the SoK.

Supernatural theme is really underused in this genre, dunno why though.. :confused:

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Red Dead Redemption! Lol I would love to have a wild west MMO, as much as I love the fantasy setting, I'm honestly starting to get tired of the same, ghouls, zombies, skeles over and over. This could be a nice change that this genre needs.
  • 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    @Robokapp: sadly true... Even though that could be one of the most meaningful faction systems in the history of MMORPGs.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I am currently in a wild west based miniatures game so I don't have a mmorpg need for one.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    The wild west wasn't as wild as Hollywood makes it out to be.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Wild West theme itself is a bit boring, if you throw in some swords and sorcery though, maybe that can work, but i don't see any developer chancing it, its not really that popular a genre, even Western movies/tv series are boring unless you introduce the supernatural element, and when that happens it becomes more about that element than about any particular wild west theme.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    I would love a wild west theme, it definitely be different.  
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Wildstar played at this flavor pretty hard.   That probably ruined it, for another playing at that flavor for a good long while.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Wild West in space would be cool

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file