Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it dead?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Minecraft's guy was on TV a bit too
    I would assume he was not on TV because of 2 videos that revealed almost nothing about game play as 100% coverage of what the game is.

can we just stop this? can we agree that the marketing for NMS was very large in scope and did in fact have a lot to do purchases and in most circumstances would have held a game higher on a sales chart for longer then games that did not have said marketing.

or are we still dicking around with this?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited September 2016
    So much hype so little promised.
    My very first hour I thought wtf is this, low rez, broken AA, fine I got thrue that and played for almost 20 hours before I got to the point....the game sucks.
    Uninstalled.

It was like watching a Hollywood trailer of a epic movie, when you got to the theatre to see sead movie you saw a low budget Mongolian movie.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I don't care who plays or doesn't. I have played about 145 hours so far on PC and don't plan to stop any time soon. 

Let's party like it is 1863!

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SoarlozerSoarlozer Member UncommonPosts: 61
    I have seen videos of one of the devs flat out lying about features or stuff that got stripped. I think it was in angry joe video.

I don't really think it had much to do with marketing as there was no games of this type except star citizen and media can't keep talking about how amazing they got so much money from a kickstarter.

I honestly never saw the hype, it looked like a boring exploration game in every single video I have seen.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    Talonsin said:

Without any unit sales, how do we know what this actually means?  Not to be a butthead but when a game released just 30 days ago with a massive marketing budget can not beat sales of GTA5 which was released in Nov 2014 and Lego SW is a kids game released back in June and Rocket League barely had any marketing and all three of those are beating sales of NMS after less than 30 days of its release, what does it mean?

I'm glad you like the game and honestly you are one of the best informed people so you can not compare your expectations to the rest of the general public.  To 95% of the gaming public, this game did not represent what was advertised.
    Scroll back in the thread, I posted all console sales numbers which included unit sales for the year including the most current weeks sales. NMS is 12th in sales for the year and 1st in global sales for the week.

Talonsin said:
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    why do I feel so insulted by the near explict ignoring of the impact of marketing.
    When you look at all the stories the media did on No Mans Sky starting back in 2013 based on only seeing a 2 minute video and NEVER being able to actually PLAY the game, that should tell you something about how big the marketing budget was.  I mean, this game has gotten more media coverage before release than any other game I have ever seen and all of it based on short 2 minute videos.  Sean was even on the Colbert show for goodness sake.  I could be wrong and frequently am but I dont ever remember seeing a video game story on late night TV.
    Then you don't watch late night TV.
    There is a TON of video games on late night talk shows.
    That is true, I dont watch late night TV very often.  I also meant to compare Sean Murrays appearance on Colbert to other game developers pushing their games.  In my limited late night experience, I have never seen that before.  I was surprised to see it on youtube and the first thought I had was "How much money did Sony pay to get Sean on that show?".
    You realize that when you appear on a late night talk show YOU get paid, you don't PAY them don't you?  Look around...  look at the columns on this site and the reviews that are done across the board.  How many reviews, columns, and blogs are people getting PAID by the developers to write?  Yes there are some,  but  reviews and writing NEWS REPORTS on upcoming games are not lucrative advertising.  

For example, Spore was a very big release that spent a lot of money on advertising, sure,  but they did show up on a show on the discovery channel talking about evolution.  The Spore creature creator was used to build animals and then the guests explained what may have caused them to evolve in such a way.

The point is,  they got paid for that,  they didn't pay THEM to be on that show.  Similarly with NMS, the advertising budget was small and the reason you saw it in so many news stories was because of it's procedurally generated universe which was by far the biggest universe a game has ever had.

And to that point, that's where the majority of the information stopped.  I knew little to nothing about the game aside from how large and diverse the universe was supposed to be.  Thats what they wrote about.. nothing more for years.  I think the marketing budget was quite small actually.  They received plenty of advertising based on the project alone... and unless you can specifically point to ads that they've put out there, commercials, or proof that they PAID someone to write something or have them on a show,  I think it's most just hearsay. 

edited September 2016
    Torval said:

I just wish you wouldn't pretend like it was without some sort of actual facts to support your claim. A singular anecdotal observation doesn't prove your point. I just wish we could get past this thing, in every thread, that those who disagree with your perception don't understand you, the topic, or what is actually happening. No one is making you talk about not great games. You just choose to poke your nose in every thread you don't like and derail it with some other conversation - whether it's PS Now or NMS. If you don't understand either one of them then why even post in the thread.
    everyone knows without me having to say it, provide 'evidence' or otherwise that NMS was hyped and marketed out the wazoo. I read more than one article that described NMS hype as 'the most the industry has ever seen'

so this sillyness has got to stop, and sadly I can take people seriously or to have honestly that suggest it wasnt.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:

I just wish you wouldn't pretend like it was without some sort of actual facts to support your claim. A singular anecdotal observation doesn't prove your point. I just wish we could get past this thing, in every thread, that those who disagree with your perception don't understand you, the topic, or what is actually happening. No one is making you talk about not great games. You just choose to poke your nose in every thread you don't like and derail it with some other conversation - whether it's PS Now or NMS. If you don't understand either one of them then why even post in the thread.
    everyone knows without me having to say it, provide 'evidence' or otherwise that NMS was hyped and marketed out the wazoo. I read more than one article that described NMS hype as 'the most the industry has ever seen'

so this sillyness has got to stop, and sadly I can take people seriously or to have honestly that suggest it wasnt.
    Hyped I can agree with. Marketed I can't unless you provide some numbers and or some TV ads, radio ads etc. etc.

Website ads don't count unless you class League of Angels 2 as marketing up the Wazoo. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    Maurgrim said:
    So much hype so little promised.
    My very first hour I thought wtf is this, low rez, broken AA, fine I got thrue that and played for almost 20 hours before I got to the point....the game sucks.
    Uninstalled.

It was like watching a Hollywood trailer of a epic movie, when you got to the theatre to see sead movie you saw a low budget Mongolian movie.
      Promised was a lot ! it just was not delivered. Sean game view and game has nothing in common that's the reason they had such a backlash .
    Hello game should have released NMS in Early Access it's a common thing on steam say that they will work and later with time add his vision into the game.   But  after release he said free DLC they he corrected his self ....
    Now We have unfinished game released and priced at AAA standards and only GOD know if all promised features in future will be added for free .

I supported HG long time but SCREW THEM
    edited September 2016
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:

Hyped I can agree with. Marketed I can't unless you provide some numbers and or some TV ads, radio ads etc. etc.

Website ads don't count unless you class League of Angels 2 as marketing up the Wazoo. 
    fair enough.

I happen to know that hype is almost always manufactured using marketing dollars and done convertly but because its done covertly I can not provide evidence but that said I can live with 'hype'.

So the underlining point regarding 'hype' is that if a game is 'hyped' to the extremely high levels that is was, more so then pretty much any other game ever or at least near such and for the length of time that it was done that if the game was a good game that it would be able to maintain high sales numbers for a month. To expect other games to have the same pattern of sales without anywhere near the same level of hype is not being realistic. Thus when comparing sales figures one month out the hype of the game IS relevant

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:

There is evidence that it's not dead. 

1) It's still one of the top 100 games for concurrent players on steam. 
    2) It's still had over 225,000 people play it on steam in the last 2 weeks (1/3 of all who purchased it). 

For the record, I never saw a single commercial for NMS. The hype was primarily manufactured by news media, Sony, and fans. Hello Games never said once that they were the most anticipated game in the universe. Once again, fans work themselves into a tizzy and then try to blame it on someone else when it doesn't measure up to the standards they manufactured in their own mind. Pretty much part for the course today. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited September 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:

2) It's still had over 225,000 people play it on steam in the last 2 weeks (1/3 of all who purchased it). 

For the record, I never saw a single commercial for NMS. The hype was primarily manufactured by news media, Sony, and fans. Hello Games never said once that they were the most anticipated game in the universe. Once again, fans work themselves into a tizzy and then try to blame it on someone else when it doesn't measure up to the standards they manufactured in their own mind. Pretty much part for the course today. 
    to be clear, I consider covert hyping, taking journalism sites to lunch to make their game seem sexy, and the like to be 'marketing'. long gone are the days when 'marketing' meaning only an advertisement that clearly states it. These companies have gotten very clever and I happen to know that they do but I can not provide much evidence. The only evidence I can provide (all be it weak) is that when I was going to start a business I found out that for $50 a month I could have a company provide me with an 'internet presence' which included posts on facebook.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    It's being compared to ET for Atari as far as how bad it is.

Now, I actually LIKED ET for Atari.  I spent many hours playing it as a kid, but it wasn't a traditionally good game by any stretch of the imagination.

As for "Is it dead?", it's not an online game (although it was marketed as such), so it's pretty irrelevant.

Is it a bad game?  Almost everyone on the internet thinks the game is very bad.  But it is pretty weird, like ET was, so there are a few people (basically only found on this forum) that like it for it's uniquely weird gameplay.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    lol if that makes you happy! Hows Kerbal doing on GOG? What about the PS4?

you seriously want to debate this? you are just itching for me to find some game like 'Intensive Exposure' to have more active players in NMS while you pretend like hype levels do not factor into this.

ok well here I go, I will find you some data.
    No I don't want to debate this actually. It is just Steam is not the be all end all of gaming or where games are played. ....
    yes I know that. Which is why I said the following:

1. many players (like myself) do not have Elite on Steam I bought before Elite was on Steam and Elite is on console.
    2. All these game ARE OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS MATTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NMS is only a month old....this point very much matters
    3. none of these games had anywhere even close to as much marketing or attention prior to them coming out. THIS MATTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

item 2 and item 3 matter are TON more than 'but its multiplayer'
    You are very....intense.

Intense is the word we're using now?  
    I was trying to putting it nicely.
    I have to tell my daughter to not use caps improperly and exclamation points so much. She is 7.
    Kind of weird seeing it so often from, what I assume is, a grown man.
    To each their own I guess.
    I had to talk to my daughter about the same thing, and I actually used the person you are speaking of here as an example of what not to do. At least some good can come from this type of thing.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

edited September 2016
    Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

you seriously want to debate this? you are just itching for me to find some game like 'Intensive Exposure' to have more active players in NMS while you pretend like hype levels do not factor into this.

No I don't want to debate this actually. It is just Steam is not the be all end all of gaming or where games are played. ....

1. many players (like myself) do not have Elite on Steam I bought before Elite was on Steam and Elite is on console.
    2. All these game ARE OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS MATTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NMS is only a month old....this point very much matters
    3. none of these games had anywhere even close to as much marketing or attention prior to them coming out. THIS MATTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are very....intense.

I have to tell my daughter to not use caps improperly and exclamation points so much. She is 7.
    I had to talk to my daughter about the same thing, and I actually used the person you are speaking of here as an example of what not to do. At least some good can come from this type of thing.
    if a key point isy ignored 3 times by the reader I consider it just fine to cap it, bold it and put in many spaces so that it doesnt get missed a 4th time.

but one thing is for sure, we should continue this conversation at great lengths dont you agree?

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

You are very....intense.

if a key point isy ignored 3 times by the reader I consider it just fine to cap it, bold it and put in many spaces so that it doesnt get missed a 4th time.

but one thing is for sure, we should continue this conversation at great lengths dont you agree?
    Because shouting always helps the deaf understand what your saying.
    edited September 2016
    Ridelynn said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Hatefull said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

You are very....intense.

Because shouting always helps the deaf understand what your saying.
    yes we clearly should continue to have this conversation.

So for a second time, when a keypoint that is a cornerstone to the point and directly affects all rebuttles are getting ignored and thus  repeated rebuttles have nearly zero bases because the keypoint is ignored I find it more than reasonable to make sure multiple times (as in more than once) that the person see it in bold, caps, different colors, different spacing and all. Important points are not to be simply thrown under the rug simply because a person doesnt want to acknowledge it. This is why on these forums I often have to state things more than once and I nearly always without any exception ever have to ask questions at LEAST twice. the first response of course is to simply not answer the question. etc.

In short, CAPS is FAR less offensive then ignoring keypoints in an argument

SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:

to be clear, I consider covert hyping, taking journalism sites to lunch to make their game seem sexy, and the like to be 'marketing'. long gone are the days when 'marketing' meaning only an advertisement that clearly states it. These companies have gotten very clever and I happen to know that they do but I can not provide much evidence. The only evidence I can provide (all be it weak) is that when I was going to start a business I found out that for $50 a month I could have a company provide me with an 'internet presence' which included posts on facebook.

Ok, so I used to run a small gaming website for F2P games and I often had phone conversations with developers giving me access to the game to take a look, providing me walkthroughs, doing interviews. So you're saying this is hyping the game? I can tell you first hand that this is all much less sexy than what you're making it out to be. Generally speaking, it's them trying to provide clarification of the game, allowing you to experience all aspects of the game within a short period of time, or giving you an idea of the vision or concept of the game. 

I don't know what universe you're living in, but people have been taking people out for lunch since companies were formed. It might shock you to know that when you get a prescription, it's likely that there was a pharmaceutical sales person who convinced your doctor to prescribe that brand to you. You might be surprised to know that when you buy something from a grocery store, that product your purchasing was placed in that specific location by a company who marketed their product to the grocery store chain and they negotiated, and maybe even paid for, that shelf space. If you're surprised that a game marketed itself then these things might also be a shock to you. There are plenty other surprises I could share, but I wouldn't want to make your brain explode. 

As far as web presence goes, it's not categorized by Facebook posts, but yes you can buy, basically, anything you like. You can buy YouTube videos, Tweets, Facebook posts, instagram posts, blog posts, and then Likes for any and all of these platforms. You can also just outright buy traffic. That's hardly evidence of anything. I'm not sure why you believe that is evidence of some sort of wrong-doing. I don't even know why you feel that this is clever marketing. This isn't even innovative marketing, it's been that way for years now. In fact!! And you might want to put on a helmet because this will make your mind just blow out your ears, I can automate every aspect of it!!! I never even have to touch a thing. I can automate my Youtube and social media accounts so I never even touch it. *BOOOOOM Explode*

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I am still playing and discovering all sorts of stuff. 
    edited September 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Torval said:

Ok, so I used to run a small gaming website for F2P games and I often had phone conversations with developers giving me access to the game to take a look, providing me walkthroughs, doing interviews. So you're saying this is hyping the game?
    no that is not what I am saying and I am not sure I undersand why you would think that based on what I wrote. To give you just one very small example of what is happening in the Marketing industry read the following:

-------------------------------------------------------------
     For $50 a month I was offered a service that could provide my company with an 'internet presence' meaning posts on Facebook.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Imagne what i could get if I approached a marketing team with $20,000 and I said I dont want traditional adds but I want you to generate hype for me?

well.. you can (not sure about the price) services can include contacting press organizations and taking them out to lunch, more 'people' posting on Facebook, a marketing team could create their own marketing channel and call it 'freds favorite games' and have 'fred' show a game, many large variety of things can be done and often are done.

did you know that some companies pay people to walk around malls and randomly make suggestions to people approaching them as if by random conversation? example: 'oh hey those are cool shoes did you see the shoes down at the X store'

yup some people are paid to do that

In fact it was discovered that nearly all of the H1Z1 youtube/twitch hype was paid for

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    It's being compared to ET for Atari as far as how bad it is.

Now, I actually LIKED ET for Atari.  I spent many hours playing it as a kid, but it wasn't a traditionally good game by any stretch of the imagination.

As for "Is it dead?", it's not an online game (although it was marketed as such), so it's pretty irrelevant.

Is it a bad game?  Almost everyone on the internet thinks the game is very bad.  But it is pretty weird, like ET was, so there are a few people (basically only found on this forum) that like it for it's uniquely weird gameplay.
    This forum pulls in all kinds...haha.

I do think it is relevant to those of us that haven't bought the game.  I'm curious to see if the game has any staying power past the first couple play sessions.  At this point I have no intention to buy the game until the price drops to around $20.  
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Ok, so I used to run a small gaming website for F2P games and I often had phone conversations with developers giving me access to the game to take a look, providing me walkthroughs, doing interviews. So you're saying this is hyping the game?
    no that is not what I am saying and I am not sure I undersand why you would think that based on what I wrote. To give you just one very small example of what is happening in the Marketing industry read the following:

For $50 a month I was offered a service that could provide my company with an 'internet presence' meaning posts on Facebook.

Imagne what i could get if I approached a marketing team with $20,000 and I said I dont want traditional adds but I want you to generate hype for me?

well.. you can (not sure about the price) services can include contacting press organizations and taking them out to lunch, more 'people' posting on Facebook, a marketing team could create their own marketing channel and call it 'freds favorite games' and have 'fred' show a game, many large variety of things can be done and often are done.

did you know that some companies pay people to walk around malls and randomly make suggestions to people approaching them as if by random conversation? example: 'oh hey those are cool shoes did you see the shoes down at the X store'

In fact it was discovered that nearly all of the H1Z1 youtube/twitch hype was paid for

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where they talked about marketing budgets. Either way, I don't care if you have a $1 or a $100 million dollar budget, a game doesn't sell on hype alone. Everyone said the same thing about Destiny. They said it was just a massive hype train and that the novelty would wear off shortly. However, every single time that they released an expansion, it spiked to the top of the sales charts. 

I have no idea what the NMS Marketing budget was, but the company is small so it doesn't have massive marketing budgets. I'd be surprised if they had a marketing budget larger than 5% of other game companies. Just take a look back to when it was announced, it wasn't NMS at ALL! It was all about fans and media. The biggest issue is people see PG and think it's going to be infinite, but that's not how it works and the permutations are always going to be limited. Secondly, people constantly say they want sandbox games and then they get one and they're like "This fucking sucks". What I'm saying is that fans tend to build up games to be bigger and more elaborate than what is ever communicated. NMS is a perfect example of that. Like how many times could it be communicated that this was not a Multiplayer game? They've been saying it isn't multiplayer since 2014!!! 

Anyway, back to the point, it's not dead by any means and, as a single player game, they don't really need to do any other marketing since they are just going to get diminishing returns now anyway. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

edited September 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where they talked about marketing budgets. Either way, I don't care if you have a $1 or a $100 million dollar budget, a game doesn't sell on hype alone. Everyone said the same thing about Destiny. They said it was just a massive hype train and that the novelty would wear off shortly. However, every single time that they released an expansion, it spiked to the top of the sales charts. 

I have no idea what the NMS Marketing budget was, but the company is small so it doesn't have massive marketing budgets. I'd be surprised if they had a marketing budget larger than 5% of other game companies. Just take a look back to when it was announced, it wasn't NMS at ALL! It was all about fans and media. The biggest issue is people see PG and think it's going to be infinite, but that's not how it works and the permutations are always going to be limited. Secondly, people constantly say they want sandbox games and then they get one and they're like "This fucking sucks". What I'm saying is that fans tend to build up games to be bigger and more elaborate than what is ever communicated. NMS is a perfect example of that. Like how many times could it be communicated that this was not a Multiplayer game? They've been saying it isn't multiplayer since 2014!!! 

Anyway, back to the point, it's not dead by any means and, as a single player game, they don't really need to do any other marketing since they are just going to get diminishing returns now anyway. 
    I am telling you how its done.
    I am providing you examples of how its done
    I am not providing proove that NMS did it nor can I and if I could then those companies would not be worth the money
    It doesnt affect my core point.

Now...

think on this for a second and please read the following very carefully.-------------

For about a year what was known about the game was 2 videos. 2 videos in which very little to nothing was said. nobody had played the game, no insider journalist had played the game, no interviewer had inside access to see the game in action nor have any additional information about the game. The developer also said nothing about the features of the game, didnt tell any journalist something they didnt tell us (assuming the hype was not manufactured), didnt provide samples of game play outside the video we saw

and yet...somehow....this game is the one based on at the time very little to nearly zero information became a super ultra hype as if no other video on youtube showed a new and upcoming game with equal or more than amazing technology.

yeah that doesnt happen without some help.