Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the current playable content?

VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
First, let me say, I haven't been following the development of this game at all.  I heard about it years, ago.  Then saw the enormous amount of money being made by the purchasing of ships.  But the last I remember seeing was when there was a hangar module or something that allowed you to walk around inside, and see the ships you had purchased.  Years passed again, and still I hear no news on a release, so I just ignore the game and development until the end is closer in sight. 

But then I see this recent video from Gamescon I think.  I believe it was the 3.0 Alpha?  Well, it looked amazing!  I heard the devs say in the video, stuff like, "those of you with this type of ship know just how big it is",  and statements hat led me to feel like apparently there is something actually playable at this point.  

So I went to the website and clicked on the "See what's Playable Now" link.  But honestly, I can't tell how much content that really is. 

That's what leads me to ask you guys of your opinion on what's actually playable.  I mean, is there enough content in at the moment to justify the basic pledge amount to gain access?  Is it open-ended or closed-ended?  Basically, is it really just a couple of basic missions to complete, then you're done? Or is there any open-ended progress to be made yet (something perhaps like upgrading your ship with basic equipment, some basic trading, or basic mining)?  If it is closed-ended, approximately how much time would it take to complete it all?

And of course, I'd like to hear the opinion of those that have played the current content.  Happy, or disappointed?

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited September 2016
    Side of Arena Commander that is the dog-fighting module, Arccorp & Hangars...

The current Universe release includes a single-instance map of Crusader. That includes the 2 spawning stations (arccorp and grimhex), several missions, early bounty system (player reputation system).

On that there's already some extent of persistence, you can earn currency and spend it, re-fueling / repairs, clothing / armor and weapons. On gameplay elements, the dog-fighting / flight, FPS and EVA are there.

On your questions:
    - Does it justify the base pledge to play it? I'd recommend you to wait for a free flight that they do frequently enough and try it for free and then decide if you feel you should pledge, or wait for it.

- Open Ended Progress? Only to some extent, that's something for 3.0 when they add as said Cargo & Trading (mining set to happen later), on the current release you can earn credits, you can spend those on buying gear (weapons/armors/clothing). The current release is laid out on a Sandbox matter, there isn't any clear direction/goal yet.

- An opinion of content? The current alpha is fun to play for me, but it has issues on stability & performance that easily turn it into a frustrating experience. That's why free flights are a good bet to decide between a pledge now or waiting for future releases first.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    Wait for a free flight week before pledging

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited September 2016
    Star Citizen has regular free fly events when anyone gets to test their game for free for a limited time.

Last free fly was August 17th to 23rd, before that June 15th to 25th. If you just wait for it, they will hold another free trial event soon enough and you'll get to test the game for yourself for free.

But to answer your question, the game currently has space dogfighting, some FPS, and some hanging around with your friends available. The only element of the game that has some real content at the moment is space dogfights. Otherwise it's still more of a tech demo with very limited actual playable content.

If you love space fighting the game in its current state might be worth it, but otherwise it's better to wait. Also the game isn't optimized yet. If you have a top-end gaming computer then that's not much of a problem, but if your computer isn't quite that good then you'd better wait.

Alpha 3.0 isn't in the game yet. The things you saw in Alpha 3.0 demo focused on things that you can't do in the actual game yet, and if you go in now expecting to do those things you'll be disappointed.

EDIT: The game at the moment is more like a place where you can repeat some battlegrounds or just fool around. I'd say there's neither closed ended missions, nor much open ended progression. Those things will be implemented later.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Bear in mind that the PU runs terribly at the moment, sub 20 fps is typical regardless of hardware.

There are meant to be improvements coming in 3.0 but until it goes live the substantiality of those improvements are unknown.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited September 2016
    Bear in mind that the PU runs terribly at the moment, sub 20 fps is typical regardless of hardware.

There are meant to be improvements coming in 3.0 but until it goes live the substantiality of those improvements are unknown.

Sub 20 fps may be typical on rpmcmurphy's hardware. Some tweaking in the settings and it runs a stable 40ish fps for me. 

You will find YouTube videos with stable 60 fps at 4k resolution. 

On older hardware with older NVidia cards you might get sub 20 fps performance. In my experience Radeon cards currently are better for playing SC (better performance with the modified 64 bit CryEngine and the heavy use of Double precision computation). 

The Alpha is still being optimized and especially their server side performance in FPS combat is constantly being improved, as it is currently not as smooth as typical dedicated First Person Shooters. 

Have fun
    My hardware:
    Xeon 1230v3 (4 core 8 threads)
    RX 480 8GB
    16GB RAM
    Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD

But by all means check the subreddit if you think my case is an isolated case - https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/search?q=poor+performance&sort=new&restrict_sr=on

• OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467
    Sounds like you are looking to enjoy a full on early access type game with most game loops in. It isn't there yet, come back next year.
    :)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
  • YakutoYakuto Member UncommonPosts: 61

Eah I disagree with this, 30+ isn't to hard to achieve on a mid range pc system. The game even on medium level of settings is still the most beautiful space sim around. I paid 60 for no mans sky and enjoy this incomplete sandbox more than that game. The level of detail put into the ships is pretty out of this world. I have purchased a 315p and have absolutely no regrets, and do not expect to have any tbh.
  • VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
    Thanks a ton for all the opinions and answers to my questions!  As for performance, I do have a top gaming PC built for 4K and VR.  Honestly, if what has been stated is actually in the game right now, I think I'd like to pledge.  But I might hold off at least until 3.0 comes out before I do, and maybe just try to learn how to play elite.  I will however continue to follow Star Citizen, as I believe it may end up as the greatest space game ever....if they can finish it.   S42 sounds like it will be awesome though.  One of my favorite game series ever was the Wing Commander games back in the early 90's! :)
    edited September 2016
    Yakuto said:

Eah I disagree with this, 30+ isn't to hard to achieve on a mid range pc system. The game even on medium level of settings is still the most beautiful space sim around. I paid 60 for no mans sky and enjoy this incomplete sandbox more than that game. The level of detail put into the ships is pretty out of this world. I have purchased a 315p and have absolutely no regrets, and do not expect to have any tbh.

I stated my issue and showed proof of this happening for lots of other people, and this is people with GTX 1070s, 980Tis, Titan X etc. How can you disagree with that? I'm not saying it will happen for everybody but performance can be pretty hit and miss, which is why trying out a free fly week before purchasing is a good idea.

Vhayne said:
    Thanks a ton for all the opinions and answers to my questions!  As for performance, I do have a top gaming PC built for 4K and VR.  Honestly, if what has been stated is actually in the game right now, I think I'd like to pledge.  But I might hold off at least until 3.0 comes out before I do, and maybe just try to learn how to play elite.  I will however continue to follow Star Citizen, as I believe it may end up as the greatest space game ever....if they can finish it.   S42 sounds like it will be awesome though.  One of my favorite game series ever was the Wing Commander games back in the early 90's! :)

Definitely worth giving a free fly week a go and 3.0 does looks like it'll bring some nice additions to the alpha.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    That might also come in handy ... how to tweak SC for better performance ...

https://www.redacted.tv/how-to-set-up-star-citizen-performance-guide/

Have fun

Thanks but I have tried different user.cfgs. Won't be long till 2.6 so I'll try things again then.