Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A question regarding PvP

ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212
edited September 2016 in Black Desert Online
Hey there, I'm interested in trying BDO but since it needs a fee to play and reach max lvl wanted to ask if PvP is a stunlock fest.

I mean ArcheAge is (or atleast used to be) a stunlock-combofest till now, with 1-2 specc facerolling the servers.
Does it solely depends on who will attack first? Who will use an important ability first? Does endgame PvP fights, either massive or not, last 5 sec?

Generally is it balanced?

Also I would like to play the support/healing class, is it viable?

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited September 2016
    Fights generally last much longer but some classes do have stunlock kill combos.  It's not tab target though and there is active dodging, so the combat at least is much better than Archeage imo.

Game is pretty imbalanced.

There is no support/healing class.  Wizard/witches have a couple heals even though they, like every class, are pretty much a dps class, and the group heal IS good (it's an AOE heal), but mostly everyone just chugs potions for healing (they just reduced the cooldown from 5 seconds to 3 seconds, so the game is a potion chugging fest).
    Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Fights generally last much longer but some classes do have stunlock kill combos.  It's not tab target though and there is active dodging, so the combat at least is much better than Archeage imo.

Game is pretty imbalanced.

There is no support/healing class.  Wizard/witches have a couple heals even though they, like every class, are pretty much a dps class, and the group heal IS good (it's an AOE heal), but mostly everyone just chugs potions for healing (they just reduced the cooldown from 5 seconds to 3 seconds, so the game is a potion chugging fest).
    Aaah right, you just reminded me one of the main reasons why I stopped playing AA. Potions.
    People could buy potions from the cash shop that would heal all their hp and they CD was something like that, a few seconds... so yeah... I just hate that.. a big nono from me.

Also ain't Valkyrie class support/healer?
    Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited September 2016
    Manasu said:

not really. It does have a heal for the party though.

edit: also, if you are relying upon potions to win you will lose. The potions don't heal all that much and there is a decent cool down so "chugging' them really isn't an option.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited September 2016
    Sovrath said:
    Manasu said:

edit: also, if you are relying upon potions to win you will lose. The potions don't heal all that much and there is a decent cool down so "chugging' them really isn't an option.
    They don't heal all that much, but how the hell is 3 seconds a "decent cool down".  I'm assuming you missed the part where they just reduced the cooldown by 2 seconds.

There are no cash shop full-heal potions, but if you're fighting someone chugging potions and you're not, all things being equal you'll lose 100% of the time.

Overall it's an incredibly annoying thing that detracts from gameplay, put in place to encourage you to carry around a bunch of heavy potions, which of course leads you to the cash shop to buy weight increases.

Basically that's the name of the game- a bunch of annoying stuff designed to direct you to the cash shop for the remedy.

edited September 2016
    Sovrath said:
    Manasu said:

They don't heal all that much, but how the hell is 3 seconds a "decent cool down".  I'm assuming you missed the part where they just reduced the cooldown by 2 seconds.

There are no cash shop full-heal potions, but if you're fighting someone chugging potions and you're not, all things being equal you'll lose 100% of the time.

Overall it's an incredibly annoying thing that detracts from gameplay, put in place to encourage you to carry around a bunch of heavy potions, which of course leads you to the cash shop to buy weight increases.

Basically that's the name of the game- a bunch of annoying stuff designed to direct you to the cash shop for the remedy.

I don't recall the cool down being that fast as I seem to remember going up against red mobs and having to wait but maybe it just seemed long. In PvP I was not able to "chug" potions every 3 seconds to my memory so I have no idea what you are talking about there.

I don't really agree with your last sentence at all.

edit: I guess they are 3 seconds but they heal for so little they are not going to save anyone in a pvp battle.
    Post edited by Sovrath on

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Sovrath said:
    Manasu said:

I don't agree with that at all. I've never had a fight that was won or lost due to potions from either player. I've also never had to buy weight increases in the cash shop even one time. Just because they have them there doesn't mean it's necessary in any way. It's not put in place to encourage you to use the cash shop. It's there so that if you feel like spending money on it you can. Otherwise you just play it normally. Sure, being able to hold more might be useful. But more often than not I end up near a town where I can sell or bank things when i'm close to my weight limit. Or you have a bunch of useless trash you can discard to hold more. Or you put it onto your mount until you are done grinding. I've never even slightly felt the urge to buy more weight. The pets are a little more in line with what you said. I did end up buying pets because I was killing things fast enough to justify wanting to have pets to pick up my items for me. But even then, that's just me being lazy and not wanting to push R on things. Not a necessity. 
    edited September 2016
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Manasu said:

I don't recall the cool down being that fast as I seem to remember going up against red mobs and having to wait but maybe it just seemed long. In PvP I was not able to "chug" potions every 3 seconds to my memory so I have no idea what you are talking about there.

edit: I guess they are 3 seconds but they heal for so little they are not going to save anyone in a pvp battle.
    Well I'm sure your foggy memory and extremely limited pvp experience is very helpful to the OP.  Thanks for sharing.  

What level is your highest character again?
    edited September 2016
    Sovrath said:
    Manasu said:

I don't agree with that at all. I've never had a fight that was won or lost due to potions from either player. I've also never had to buy weight increases in the cash shop even one time. Just because they have them there doesn't mean it's necessary in any way. It's not put in place to encourage you to use the cash shop. It's there so that if you feel like spending money on it you can. Otherwise you just play it normally. Sure, being able to hold more might be useful. But more often than not I end up near a town where I can sell or bank things when i'm close to my weight limit. Or you have a bunch of useless trash you can discard to hold more. Or you put it onto your mount until you are done grinding. I've never even slightly felt the urge to buy more weight. The pets are a little more in line with what you said. I did end up buying pets because I was killing things fast enough to justify wanting to have pets to pick up my items for me. But even then, that's just me being lazy and not wanting to push R on things. Not a necessity. 
    How much pvp have you done at level 55+?

It's fine if you like the game, but the guy is asking specifically about PVP.

Another thing to mention about PVP is only 2 classes have awakenings right now.  They're releasing them on a bi-weekly basis.  So those classes are massively overpowered and kill everybody.

Also I didn't mention that pvp is pretty skill-less.  Gear is paramount.

Also they just added a new p2w feature in the shop to save you silver when enchanting.  So it's pretty easy to p2w to become a God (as long as you have an awakened class).
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Sovrath said:
    Manasu said:

How much pvp have you done at level 55+?

It's fine if you like the game, but the guy is asking specifically about PVP.

Another thing to mention about PVP is only 2 classes have awakenings right now.  They're releasing them on a bi-weekly basis.  So those classes are massively overpowered and kill everybody.

Also I didn't mention that pvp is pretty skill-less.  Gear is paramount.

Also they just added a new p2w feature in the shop to save you silver when enchanting.  So it's pretty easy to p2w to become a God (as long as you have an awakened class).
    Are you talking about the fail stacks from the cash shop or are you talking about the artisans? Because you can get those with loyalty and it isn't very much. The fail stacks aren't even in the game yet and as far as I can tell it isn't even really anything big, I can get those off anything for relatively cheap. I've done a bit of PvP at 55+, I wasn't necessarily talking about balance though. I was talking about potions not effecting it.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Manasu said:

Well I'm sure your foggy memory and extremely limited pvp experience is very helpful to the OP.  Thanks for sharing.  

potions only really help in PVE, for PVP its about gear levels etc. if you have a higher weapon and armour level than your opponent, as long as you are the same level that is, then the one with the better weapon etc has a significant advantage, if one person is higher level also, then that gives an advantage also.
    Chugging potions for a couple of hundred health every 3 seconds isn't going to help if your taking 1000's of damage every second.
    Level 56 was the highest level i achieved in game, on one character at least, the other 7 were between 40 and 51. O.o
    edited September 2016
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Manasu said:

55 and no, potions aren't really a deal breaker in pvp it's about gear and levels.