Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD’s newest APUs boost performance by 17 percent, go toe-to-toe with Intel Core i5

The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited September 2016
    TDP looks like these will be Zen based processors. So they will be true quad cores. What kind of memory these can be paired with will decide if you can use these as a low range gaming solution. The RX 460 has 14 CUs, these will have 8.
    Post edited by Cleffy on
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    No. Still old cores, just new socket(single socket platform). New cores come later.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Cleffy said:
    TDP looks like these will be Zen based processors. So they will be true quad cores. What kind of memory these can be paired with will decide if you can use these as a low range gaming solution. The RX 460 has 36 CUs, these will have 8.
    The move from Piledriver to Steamroller cores already meant that each core has its own integer scheduler now, though the floating point scheduler is still shared.  Both cores can execute floating point instructions at the same time, however, with the exception that if you use a 256-bit AVX instruction, that uses all of the floating point execution resources for both cores.

These are based on Excavator cores.  AMD has done a good job of reducing power consumption as they moved from one Bulldozer derivative to the next, though IPC still leaves a lot to be desired.

The key detail to Bristol Ridge is that it's socket AM4.  That doesn't just mean DDR4 memory, but it's also the same socket as Zen.  Thus, if you buy Bristol Ridge first for a very cheap gaming rig, you'll later have the option to upgrade to a Zen CPU and a discrete video card, probably also an APU with Zen cores.  So for the first time in several years, this could make for a rig where upgrading the CPU later isn't a concession that you screwed up on the initial purchase.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The specs are better than I expected, but I'm skeptical that that will be as fast as Core i5 desktop processors, unless you mean very old or low clocked variants.