Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good micromanaging /MMO's? (not EvE)

Looking for an MMO with good micromanagement for either characters or inventory, lots of options and ways to grow a character.

Not EvE, as in not economy and skill based micromanagment, but more on the turn based or just RPG side of MM.

Thanks,

Comments

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    I also wish there was something extremely complex to play but there really isn't these days.  Could try Fallen Earth, it has a ton of things to gather, craft and organize.  Also it is an open system for building your character.

A friend and I have been in Anarchy Online a bit lately it also has a bit of depth compared to stuff that comes out nowadays.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Wurm Online has a lot of micro-managing. It's a really good game for crafting in that you can be a full-time crafter but the combat.... it's about EVE level. lol

Mortal Online has an insane level of skill micro-managment and a cool crafting system that lets you select the different types of components of items and the materials to use in them to really micro-manage item customization. The GUI is quite buggy and it's hardest game to play solo I've ever seen. It's also full-loot drop PvP so be prepared for the entire game to feel a lot like null-sec in EVE outside some very tiny safe(ish) areas, and the combat requires a lot of player skill. That's a plus for me but I know most people hate it. Also you need to research your build before picking your character's race and age. Certain races and ages are super OP for certain builds while others are non-viable. If you play and are confused what to go with Thursar-Khurite-Khurite (Half-orc / Half Mongolian) is a really good pick for a melee fighter / archer and Veela-Veela-Veela-Veela is a good foot mage or thief. There are some new builds that do pretty well for mounted combat but I couldn't tell them to you.

I agree that Anarchy Online is quite deep but it also is really showing it's age these days. It did not keep modernized as well as EVE.

Archeage is a good game for extremely customized builds if you are looking for a more themeparky game. Just be prepared to play obsessively for months before becoming competitive against older players or credit card warrior it up big-time.

Finally Star Citizen, Crowfall, and Life is Feudal are all good games to keep an eye on. Just be prepared to wait a good year or two for any of them.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Hearthstone! Easy to play but very deep.

You could consider Elite: Dangerous. However, it might be a good idea to wait a year or two. I'd wait until you can walk on temperate planets - when that happens, it might be the only game you'll ever need to buy!
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by the turn-based side of micromanagement? 

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I was thinking it sounded like he wanted a game somewhat similar to Masters of Orion IV.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

This is pretty shocking to read.  As someone who has played a dozen or more different CCG's in depth since the early 90's, I found Hearthstone to be very shallow.  I barely had to engage my brain to play it and I got to the top tier in competitive very quickly with a cheap Hunter face deck.  Even the more simple CCG's that I've played had deeper tactics such as Warlord.

Now, I know I talk about this game a lot, mostly because I'm still in love with it, but there are some classes in Age of Conan that will damn near wear you out with the micromanagement.

The Bear Shaman, for instance, requires attacking opponents with combos to generate stacks of healing and damage buffs for yourself and your group.  Then you need to keep an AoE based manifestation running at all times.  There are five of them and you need to know which is the right one to use at any given time.  

Don't forget to use your four different rune abilities when they are off of cooldown, but especially Rune of Agression as it gives you a 15% DPS buff.  But don't ignore the other runes as they offer group-wide burst resistances to several different types of elemental damage.  Also don't forget to toss Lycanthropic Bite when it's off of cooldown for another DPS buff, or Adrenaline Surge to keep your group's stamina up.

But wait, you're also a healer with three different heals.  Blood Flow needs to stay active at all times because it buffs your damage, and yes, you are upper-mid tier DPS as a Bear Shaman, however you should never throw it unless you have a full 10 stack of natures wrath.  Then you need use your AA heal whenever it's on cooldown and your cone effect 'big heal' on a rotation with the other healers; so you have to keep aware of when its your turn.

Oh, you thought you were done micromanaging?  Nope.  You also have to be aware of the enemies defense posture and ensure that your attacks are always hitting his weak side.  In order to maximize damage, each swing of your combo should land on a completely unprotected side if possible.

Honestly, I've never played a more challenging, or rewarding, character in any game.  I don't think any MMO in the future will ever make another character that has so much to do all at once in any given situation.  These days its all about dumbing everything down so that they can port it consoles.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2016
    Project Gorgon or Perpeteum, fallen Earth, UO if you havent tried it .. also Eldevin
    H0urg1ass said:

This is pretty shocking to read.  As someone who has played a dozen or more different CCG's in depth since the early 90's, I found Hearthstone to be very shallow.  I barely had to engage my brain to play it and I got to the top tier in competitive very quickly with a cheap Hunter face deck.  Even the more simple CCG's that I've played had deeper tactics such as Warlord.

Now, I know I talk about this game a lot, mostly because I'm still in love with it, but there are some classes in Age of Conan that will damn near wear you out with the micromanagement.

The Bear Shaman, for instance, requires attacking opponents with combos to generate stacks of healing and damage buffs for yourself and your group.  Then you need to keep an AoE based manifestation running at all times.  There are five of them and you need to know which is the right one to use at any given time.  

Don't forget to use your four different rune abilities when they are off of cooldown, but especially Rune of Agression as it gives you a 15% DPS buff.  But don't ignore the other runes as they offer group-wide burst resistances to several different types of elemental damage.  Also don't forget to toss Lycanthropic Bite when it's off of cooldown for another DPS buff, or Adrenaline Surge to keep your group's stamina up.

But wait, you're also a healer with three different heals.  Blood Flow needs to stay active at all times because it buffs your damage, and yes, you are upper-mid tier DPS as a Bear Shaman, however you should never throw it unless you have a full 10 stack of natures wrath.  Then you need use your AA heal whenever it's on cooldown and your cone effect 'big heal' on a rotation with the other healers; so you have to keep aware of when its your turn.

Oh, you thought you were done micromanaging?  Nope.  You also have to be aware of the enemies defense posture and ensure that your attacks are always hitting his weak side.  In order to maximize damage, each swing of your combo should land on a completely unprotected side if possible.

Honestly, I've never played a more challenging, or rewarding, character in any game.  I don't think any MMO in the future will ever make another character that has so much to do all at once in any given situation.  These days its all about dumbing everything down so that they can port it consoles.

I don't agree with you.

You are describing online card games that sound hard to play and even harder to master. Hearthstone's forte is that it's easy to play but hard to master. It also has an extremely entertaining tutorial.

You used Face Hunter to reach the top rank, which is a shallow deck. However, the days of Face Hunter are long gone - it was nerfed about 2 years ago.

Hearthstone's complexity is increasing all the time (if you want to use the complex decks - you don't have to). This is because new game mechanics are being introduced every 4 months or so.

It's absolutely right that some decks require more skill - this gives the game variety.

In addition, Hearthstone is yet another one of Blizzard's ridiculously polished games. It's a triple-A online card game with an enormous following on YouTube and Twitch.

Scorchien said:
    Project Gorgon or Perpeteum, fallen Earth, UO if you havent tried it .. also Eldevin

I disagree with Perpetuum - it's based on Eve Online (it's a skill based system). In fact, it's even more boring because you have to travel slowly on land to get anywhere. You get a bit too used to seeing the same scenery.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Phry said:
    I was thinking it sounded like he wanted a game somewhat similar to Masters of Orion IV.

Same. MoO or maybe Civ online presumably - or maybe single player Civ although CKII would be better since you develop a "family of rulers" (you develop the skills of your ruler and the sons/daughters in the hope that they inherit).

And if you want a card game you may want to check out the recent reviews of the Elder Scrolls card game.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Or is the OP looking for PBBG games like Lyrania, Avabur, Domain of Heroes, etc?
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    persistent based browser games
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited September 2016
    STO.  It's been a little while but last I checked, you had to level your character, your ship, your officers, your access to different regions of space, and a few other things.  You had to find the most efficient set of weapons for the type of ship you had.  You had skill trees for space and ground missions for each member of your crew.  You had to pick the best crew for your constant away missions.  There was an easy setting in which your ship took no damage and a hard setting that gave better gear but your ship could take major damage so you had to put-in for repairs.  Engines, shields, and weapons had to be balanced correctly during fights.  You had to know what you were up against so you could apply the correct counter strategy.

Oh, if you had a large ship you had to launch, repair, and manage the fighters as well as manage your own ships combat at the same time.  You had to remember to recall the fighters or they were left behind when you warped out of the zone (no big as they would later reset back in your ship) but I felt bad leaving my guys behind like that.
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Archeage - lots of cool things to do from farming, trade runs and water-based activities like fishing in addition to the regular MMO stuff.  You also have a lot of options when it comes to character creation.  You can also try it for free.  On the bad side, it is a PvP game and the most competitive players play it like its their primary job in life or they spend lots of money in the cash shop.  The last time I played I stayed away from the PvP thing and was able to still enjoy the other parts of the game.

Fallen Earth - This one is a bit older but lots of choices for skills and the crafting is outstanding.  It is also not tab-targeted so you have to aim at something in order to hit it.  I always get carried away with this one and end up spending most of my time collecting resources to an excess, then I get bored and stop playing.

The Secret World - Has a very unique system for character skills and you can build any kind of character you want.  You want a pistol slinging magic user or a hammer swinging machine gunner, you can do it. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Looking for an MMO with good micromanagement for either characters or inventory, lots of options and ways to grow a character.

Not EvE, as in not economy and skill based micromanagment, but more on the turn based or just RPG side of MM.

Thanks,
    Check out Black Desert...
  • KingPJohn11KingPJohn11 Member UncommonPosts: 6
    @sludgebeard You might wanna look at Dragon Nest. It's a beautiful game with lots of micromanagements in terms of characters, inventory and especially PVP. 
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    If you aren't opposed to Mobile games, Summoners war is exactly what you described. It's a quasi-mmo with guilds, real time guild battles, automated Arena pvp battles, and deep Pve content. It's a turn based rpg, similar to pokemon. Nearly completely F2P unless you want to progress faster, so kind of P2W in that regard. But you are already so far behind as the game has been released for couple years now. I just started a month ago and am having fun.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    Albion Online. Loving it.
    Mechanically I love Albion, and during its beta i went back and forth to it. My only issue with it, is the bland art style and low quality map/general graphics.

Its def a good game tho.