Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Checking out Update 12 - One Tamriel with a brand new character.

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
edited September 2016 in Elder Scrolls Online
I'm going to use this thread to share my experience and thoughts while playing in the Public Test Server (PTS) with brand new character without using any champion points. I want to do this because ever since this update was announced I've been curious (and a bit skeptical) about a brand new player being able to hold his/her own bolstered to CP160 everywhere.

I chose to play as Redgard Stamina Sorcerer since that's a build I've been playing a lot lately so it's easy for to compare the experience with my CP300 stamsorc. Once I get past the first Island I'll be heading to new Craglorn and I'll probably also take my higher level stamsorc there to see how different they feel.

----------------------------

1. Coldharbour tutorial

First thing I noticed was that this area is also CP160 bolstered. Your health, stamina and magicka attributes will all be in the 15k - 20k range right off the bat. And the mobs are also all CP160. The other thing you'll notice right away is that these mobs no longer display a level. This is a change everywhere and since all mobs are now CP160 it'd be meaningless and redundant to display their level.

The first few fights here are slightly tougher than before: the time to kill (TTK) is a bit longer and you can run out of resources easier. Not hard by any means but you do have to pay attention a bit more.

I also got a blue 2-HD hammer drop here with the sharpened trait... not bad at all. This is the first blue drop I've ever seen in the tutorial. I was thinking of training DW first but that hammer sealed the deal - 2HD as my first weapon it is.

Once you finish the tutorial you'll end up in the starter zone of your chosen alliance. I picked AD so it was Khenarthi's Roost for me. I was level 4 when I left - slightly higher than before since I'm used to leveling to 4 just after this when talking to the Prophet.

2. Khenarthi's Roost.

Once again the CP160 TTK is slightly longer all around but not excessively so. The difficulty boost is slight but noticeable.

The nicest surprise that you'll run into is dropped item sets. Yup, even lowly KR has its own item set now, the "Trainee" set. This is a set where 2 pcs give you +health, 3 +magicka, 4 +stamina and 5 + approximately 3 times as much of all 3. The drops also seem to favor the training trait (+xp from kills) although not all of them will have that trait.

When I say "drop" I don't actually mean that since I haven't gotten one from a random mob. Many of the quest rewards still give you the same item as before except now that item is also part of the Trainee set. The other source is from lockpicking chests: advanced and master chests seem to always have one piece of Trainee + other stuff and I also got one from an Intermediate. They come at you pretty fast so it's not hard to get a 5-piece set as long as you're willing to mix and match armor types.

One item that I got from a KR chest that I'll put in the odd column was the Stormhaven Treasure Map IV !? Hey we can go anywhere... but I think I'll just skip going there for now :) Treasure maps for your general vicinity IMO, would still be more appropriate.

Another noticeable thing is that XP is slightly accelerated and not just due to the few armor pieces with the training trait I managed to grab. I know this area and level range well since I make a lot of alts to go and play in the 10-49 PVP campaign here. I normally leave KR @ level 7 but this time I just got to Mistral, haven't even started the quests there and I'm already almost level 8. I think I'll easily be level 9, maybe even 10 before leaving the island.

There's also a new addition to the default UI. When you hover over a weapon, piece of armor or jewelry you'll get a green or red update to the appropriate values on the left of the screen next to your equipped items with the increase or decrease to stats like stamina, %crit, weapon damage, etc... a nice addition.

That's all for now... I'll add more later.
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

Post edited by Iselin on

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

3. Dude, where's my "go anywhere?"

So it was level 9 out of KR and out to Auridon after all. So off to Craglorn I'll go after a quick visit to the Mage's and Fighter's guild as well as the Undaunted to enable those skill lines. But wait... I don't have access to any Craglorn wayshrine nor to any Grahtwood one so I can go to Elden Root and talk to the Craglorn NPC... wtf?

So after looking around and asking in chat ("What you want to go there for? Come to the VG wayshrine and duel like everyone else" :) ) everything sure looked the same to me... this meant I would need to do enough of the Auridon quest line to unlock travel to Grahtwood... really? "Anywhere" my ass.

So a quick post in the ESO forums and someone pointed out to me that there is a new type of NPC (and yes they're marked on the map, doh) called "navigators." The ones in Vulkel Guard are by the docks and have ship anchor icons. You can choose to go to other places within your alliance or to the other aliiances... nice! I like the way they implemented this with in-game NPCs... now that I know about it, that is.

The navigator helpfully sent me right to Elden Root in Grahtwood within hailing distance of the Craglorn travel NPC. So off to "new and improved" Craglorn finally.

(Note: something I forgot to mention that's another welcome addition. Since you're bolstered to CP160 everywhere there is only one type of soul gem that drops everywhere now - the max level revive anyone Grand variety... good bye multiple stacks of soul gems in my banks and micromanaging that.)

4. Craglorn as a level 9 - first impressions.

Haven't done much there yet other than start the first couple of quests. However one of those already took me into a delve complete with and end-of-delve miniboss and skyshard to get. Now anyone who has gone to Craglorn on live with a 50+ character and gone into a delve will know that the delves there are no laughing matter especially if you're solo. Forget all that. This is the new normalized for solo-play Craglorn.

Even with a level 9 character with 5 abilities, no CP and mix and match dropped gear (I'm not crafting myself anything for this playthrough) I had no problem whatsoever doing the whole delve including one of those giant burrowing armadillo-snake cross monsters as the delve boss. I never even had to toggle-on my Overload ultimate. I might as well have been doing an Auridon delve. Sure, the mini-boss fight was longish but in no way was it too much for a level 9. The bolstering seems to be working so far.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I'm still kind of reeling from this new system.

I'll withhold final judgement until I try it, but from what I've read, I'm not feeling like I'll be a fan.

Enjoyed the read though, and looking forward to more of your posts detailing your experiences!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Yes, thanks for the updates.  Interesting to see how it works out.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804
    So what I'm reading is as you go up in level and get better gear you'll get weaker.  That has to be the case if endgame content is already that easy with a new character. 
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Torval said:
    Great read. I'm looking forward to more. I like the sound of the changes, but I'll hold enthusiasm or reservation until I try them.
    Ditto.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

So what I'm reading is as you go up in level and get better gear you'll get weaker.  That has to be the case if endgame content is already that easy with a new character. 
    In some ways. The current bolstering meta in the game that you see in group dungeons is that with regards to stats a level 35ish character who also has 300 CP has better stats than a true CP300 in green and blue gear. The end game character pulls far ahead when using CP160 (max) gold gear and enchants.

I also remember reading a comment made by Rich Lambert that the low level characters would be getting a bit extra bolstering in One Tamriel over what they currently get on the live server. That may very well be what I'm seeing with my lowbee on the PTS.

This makes sense to me since if I can be skeptical, as I was, about low level characters being able to handle the content while they fill-out their skills and gear-up, I'm sure the developers who do this for a living had those thoughts way ahead of me. An extra bit of scaling up for them would be one solution.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

I took a break from my lowbee (but not before accidentally accepting and trying to do a daily group quest in Craglorn - I was "this" close until the cheater boss summoned 4 gargoyles that wrecked me :) - and then going to Wrothgar and running a delve there solo -- It was slightly tougher than the Craglorn one but still very doable) and took a level 35 magicka sorcerer into the public dungeon in Greenshade.

Public Dungeons are something I've gotten used to soloing when no one else is there. And I always go for the "group challenge" in them for the 1 skill point reward. I have soloed all those group challenges except the one in Wrothgar which is virtually impossible to do solo.

So I was curious to see if I could do it still with the new mechanics.

I use that magicka sorcerer for healing 4-man dungeons so my set-up is Destro/Resto. When I'm soloing I only keep 1 or 2 healing skills in the resto bar and use it for AOE with my root and liquid lightning while keeping my Destro bar single target.

So I gave the this group challenge that consists of 2 waves of mobs, skeletons first and then ghosts, before the boss appears, a shot. I managed to pull it off solo but just barely. It was very hectic and I had to use healing abilities and shield bubbles to a far greater extent than I've ever had to. I think I only managed to do it because my magicka regen is exceptional on this character. The fight took a good 5 minutes or so to complete.

So yes, the bosses in public dungeons are definitely tougher. I think I'll go hunting for a world boss in one of these old zones next and see what happens. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

5. Yes Virginia, there is variable bolstering

It took me a while to figure this one out although the evidence was right in front of me all along on the "Battle Leveling Boost" tool-tip. I did glance at it at one point but it's mostly full of place holder values such as "Increases Maximum Stamina by X" where it literally says "X."

But there are a couple of values that are filled-in: "Increases Maximum Health by __" and "Increases Damage Against Monsters by __ %" I first noticed that the increased damage against monsters was 70% at level 10 and then I saw it go down 61% at level 13. So I checked a couple of other of my characters that were transferred to the PTS and created another new one to see where it starts.

A brand new level 1 character gets a 97% boost in damage against monsters, a level 26 character has this value at 22% and the values is 0% on a level 34 character.

So there you have it. The method they chose to make sure that low level characters could handle going anywhere is level-dependent, variable bolsters. Pretty simple solution.

I also have to say that without peeking at the tooltip all you really know is that you can handle fights, be they on the overworld, delves, dolmens, etc. with approximately the same degree of difficulty as you level up.

This does take away somewhat from the traditional vertical progression feeling of being more powerful and being able to take on tougher challenges. But the unlocking better abilities progression is still very much there as you level. As to tougher challenges, public dungeons, dolmens, group dungeons, world bosses, etc. are there.

6. Those zone-specific Item sets... they're everywhere!

I already mentioned above the new "Trainee" set that drops in the starter island. Doing a bit of running around in Auridon showed me that there are 3 Auridon-specific sets that you get from chests, mob drops and quest rewards. This is a great thing especially for non-crafters or those new to the game and still crafting-challenged (it does take a while to be able to make some of those sets that are unavailable unless you have 4, 5, 6 or more traits researched.)

These drops come at you fast and furious, and some have very interesting 5-piece bonuses:
    • The Auridon ones have the old "Elegant" set that has been around for a while, although never before in Auridon. It's a magicka-focused set with a a 5-piece bonus of +20% damage to light and heavy attacks... which sounds pretty meh until you realize that Overload IS light and heavy attacks - the CP160 version of these is highly sought by Overload Sorcs.
    • The Stamina focused set is "Twin Sisters" with a 20% chance to proc an AOE bleed to everything around you once every 8 seconds.
    • The Heavy-armor tankish one is called, appropriately enough for Auridon, the "Veiled Heritance" set. The 5-piece bonus of this one has a 10% chance to increase your weapon damage for 5 seconds any time you deal damage and it can happen all the time.

As with the KR Trainee set, a lot of quest rewards in Auridon have had their same old rewards changed to be part of those sets intelligently: if you get a staff as a reward, you can bet It'll be part of the Elegant set and so on. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    What happens when you break down a set item? Is it the same as breaking down a regular item?
    Yeah. Depending on your crafting deconstruction skill you get a chance to recover raw materials, trait gems and upgrade tempers just like the regular non-set stuff.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited September 2016
    Lol so why i would i who has played all areas want to get excited? Still the same quests in each of the areas. 

Why would i want to go through the same boring grind. Imo they should of waited till they had a new area to introduce within each faction along with housing or something. 

I think this is more for the console players who many haven't played another faction to level 50.

edited September 2016
    Lol so why i would i who has played all areas want to get excited? Still the same quests in each of the areas. 

Why would i want to go through the same boring grind. Imo they should of waited till they had a new area to introduce within each faction along with housing or something. 

I think this is more for the console players who many haven't played another faction to level 50.
    Those set pieces unique to each zone? They'll drop from chests and mobs (including the newly buffed group world bosses) at whatever level you are when you get them.

Using the Elegance set I mentioned above that a lot of Overload Sorcs like to use, currently the end game version of those are raid drops only and top-out at CP150. If you want that after One Tamriel goes live you can get a full CP160 set grinding in Auridon.

That's just one example.

Edit: Oh and BTW, a lot of the set pieces that only used to come as armor pieces now also have weapons and jewelry in the set... getting two full 5-piece sets will be pretty easy now.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Have you tried the duelling system?
    So it's official.  Your character regresses as it goes forward in experience.  To make up for it's ever increasing weakness you must find better gear and equip better skills to stay as strong as you were at Level 1.  

I feel like I just came down with autism.
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Great post.  Thanks for this.  Super read

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    So it's official.  Your character regresses as it goes forward in experience.  To make up for it's ever increasing weakness you must find better gear and equip better skills to stay as strong as you were at Level 1.  

No because you will still be gaining new skills , gear , CPs and Knowledge.
    SlyLoK said:

No because you will still be gaining new skills , gear , CPs and Knowledge.
    If that's what you want to keep telling yourself go ahead.
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Thx a lot @Iselin for that "sum-up" and sharing your experience!!! Great read! 
    edited September 2016

Sure If you want to look at it that way go right ahead.

What they're doing is making sure brand new players are not totally gimped when forced to do all their leveling going against CP160 mobs.

Every time you level you get at least 1 skill point to spend and points to add to your stats. Both of those things make you a lot more than 3% extra capable of killing mobs, and 3% extra damage against mobs is what you lose from that newbie bolster per level until it becomes 0% at level 34.

Instead of doing it this way  they could have done all kinds of other things, like an across the board nerf to all mobs everywhere to make sure the low level players could handle them... and that would have gone over like a lead balloon.

With this method all mobs everywhere actually got buffed, not nerfed... and the lowbees can still handle it.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

YashaX said:
    A couple of times just for the hell of it with my level 10 no-CP newbie against people using the CP300 templates... I lost both times :)

This is something that will get old fast for me. I PVP in Cyrodiil a lot so accepting random duel invites is not exactly what I want to do when I'm in PVE land... luckily there's an auto-decline toggle.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    A couple of times just for the hell of it with my level 10 no-CP newbie against people using the CP300 templates... I lost both times :)

This is something that will get old fast for me. I PVP in Cyrodiil a lot so accepting random duel invites is not exactly what I want to do when I'm in PVE land... luckily there's an auto-decline toggle.
    So you can duel anywhere? For example if I am in Cyrodiil and want to practice with a friend can I just toggle a duel tab and go for it? 

I don't have any high cp characters, but I am hoping that the duelling system will help me understand pvp in eso more since the fighting mechanics have never really "clicked" for me, unlike in other games. If I can get more intimate control of my character and a grasp of counter play it will probably make the game much more enjoyable.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    What happens when you break down a set item? Is it the same as breaking down a regular item?
    Yeah. Depending on your crafting deconstruction skill you get a chance to recover raw materials, trait gems and upgrade tempers just like the regular non-set stuff.
    Any insights on the impact on gaining skill in woodworking, tailoring and smithing via deconstruction. 

For anyone unfamiliar with ESO crafting you basically learn nothing from deconstructing items that are trivial or for items that are to complex. Maybe new players will have to use alts if (when) they need more "level appropriate items" to deconstruct.

And will there be an on the daily crafting quests. Will lower level characters be able to level Provisioning to 40-ish say enabling them to hand in a higher level daily? 
    YashaX said:
    Iselin said:
    YashaX said:

So you can duel anywhere? For example if I am in Cyrodiil and want to practice with a friend can I just toggle a duel tab and go for it? 

I don't have any high cp characters, but I am hoping that the duelling system will help me understand pvp in eso more since the fighting mechanics have never really "clicked" for me, unlike in other games. If I can get more intimate control of my character and a grasp of counter play it will probably make the game much more enjoyable.
    You can duel anywhere but in Cyrodiil.. it's serious business there :)

They did add one specific dueling arena somewhere. I haven't been there but I read it's somewhere near the Wayrest Sewers entrance. So they are trying to encourage people to go do it there and not bother random strangers. But on the PTS, as I suspect will be the case when it goes live, wayshrines in busy towns seems to be the preferred spot.

As you say, used as a way for practicing and getting better at 1v1 fights, or for training and teaching in a PVP guild it can be a very good tool. But in my experience from playing other games that have it, the main use seems to be randomly challenging strangers in busy spots.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

gervaise1 said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Any insights on the impact on gaining skill in woodworking, tailoring and smithing via deconstruction. 

For anyone unfamiliar with ESO crafting you basically learn nothing from deconstructing items that are trivial or for items that are to complex. Maybe new players will have to use alts if (when) they need more "level appropriate items" to deconstruct.

And will there be an on the daily crafting quests. Will lower level characters be able to level Provisioning to 40-ish say enabling them to hand in a higher level daily? 
    I'm not sure about this. I've had max level crafters for so long that I decon very little (blues, purples and CP150-160 items mostly) and vendor just about everything else not worth using my guild store slots for.

With the huge number of new sets and their increased drop rates there will probably be a pretty brisk new market selling and trading those pieces for the sets that become the most sought after... as well as grinders going after dolmens, delve, public dungeon and world bosses and swooping down on chest locations in areas where those preferred sets drop.

I don't think all these new sets will have much of an impact on leveling crafting (except maybe more reluctance to decon something if it's a set piece) but grinding patterns will definitely change since you can now grind anywhere for full XP AND get a chance at dropped sets for those areas.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited September 2016
    Iselin said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:

I'm not sure about this. I've had max level crafters for so long that I decon very little (blues, purples and CP150-160 items mostly) and vendor just about everything else not worth using my guild store slots for.

With the huge number of new sets and their increased drop rates there will probably be a pretty brisk new market selling and trading those pieces for the sets that become the most sought after... as well as grinders going after dolmens, delve, public dungeon and world bosses and swooping down on chest locations in areas where those preferred sets drop.

I don't think all these new sets will have much of an impact on leveling crafting (except maybe more reluctance to decon something if it's a set piece) but grinding patterns will definitely change since you can now grind anywhere for full XP AND get a chance at dropped sets for those areas.
    Yeah I have max level crafters as well and sell most items. I remember though that my crafters gained most of their their craft skill though by deconstructing stuff rather than making items and so was curious.

There is also the point about materials nodes will yield stuff equivalent to your craft level (50%) or your level (50%). So potentially lots of iron and lots of rubedite ....... or will it be voidstone in the original areas? Basedon the comments about sets I suspect rubedite - especially as the Gold version will essentially be the new base.

If - as seems to be the case - drops are going to be level based and nodes are going to be 50/50 level or craft skill based it could make it interesting for new crafters gaining skill beyond iron. (Still be able to gain skill of course but will probably mean a lot of node harvesting).
    edited September 2016
    gervaise1 said:
    Iselin said:

There is also the point about materials nodes will yield stuff equivalent to your craft level (50%) or your level (50%). So potentially lots of iron and lots of rubedite ....... or will it be voidstone in the original areas? Basedon the comments about sets I suspect rubedite - especially as the Gold version will essentially be the new base.

Yes. I was playing a bit with my CP300 non-crafting sorc and was getting about 50/50 iron and Rubedite.

Also, the main reason I used that character was to see what kind of chest drops I would get from the couple of CE maps I have lying around as well as treasure maps I got with lower level characters... you get CP160 gear from both if you open the chest with a CP160 character. So save those maps for now until this goes live :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED