Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Aspirations And Pitfalls Of Being Chris Roberts

ZettaBytesZettaBytes Member UncommonPosts: 37
Quite an interesting article that dives into Chris Roberts career, past and present.
A lot of reading...

http://gameranx.com/updates/id/70033/article/the-chris-roberts-theory-of-everything/

Comments

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Read it over and it is an interesting read especially to see what he did in the past and how he's repeating the mistakes again with SC.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited August 2016
    Ah yes, another extremely long article written by Nick Monroe, aka "PressFartToContinue", "bandit", "istheguy", a goon using the handle "PFTC" on SA forums and who is something of a PI for TheSmarty, responsible for the dirt digging side of the  anti-SC campaign.

I love the disclaimer at the beginning (especially the word "..whollly.." -  tells me that this is a totally unbiased article with no hidden intent whatsoever.

" [Disclaimer: The contents of this article contained herein are for informational purposes only. It does not wholly attribute any criminal activity nor unlawful conduct to any particular individual mentioned in the piece.] "

Have fun

• OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467
    lol
    :)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    After reading a while it's a very biased article, almost like a rant against CR / SC.

The disclaimer at the top puts the cherry on top of speculative statements and unproven accusations that we would later do on his article. Such speculation and unproven claims he based himself to make other statements and lines of thought.

It's not a good read for who looks for the both sides of a story on an article without unproven speculation.

I'd suggest search on author's background on this topic, specially when this person comes from from the well-known "hate central" against CR, the SA Forums... "axes to grind" the common saying goes.
    And theres the same 2 who instead of refuting the points the author makes in the article they instead resort to character assassination and just attacking them outright.

edited August 2016
    Kefo said:
    And theres the same 2 who instead of refuting the points the author makes in the article they instead resort to character assassination and just attacking them outright.

What points? His disclaimer on the top puts everything. He makes claims and goes through lines of thought based on speculation and un-proven accusations.... to get to his own conclusions.

Good for him, but many things he touched towards SC are not points yet assumptions and his own opinions, something known as: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_perception

And when this comes from people already known for some degree of hateful behavior towards SC / CIG & its employees, It doesn't come from a neutral standpoint.
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    I clicked on the link, saw what is basically a novel about one person...yea, and closed it as quick as I possibly could. Whatever craziness drove someone to write all of that...must border on obsession.

Did you haters actually read all of that? Out of curiosity, I copy/pasted it into Scrivener...29,432 words. For context the first Harry Potter book was about 86k words.

That is nearly thirty thousand words of someones hateful obsession over Chris Roberts. If you actually sat there and read all of that...you and the author both need therapy. But then, maybe the author a got paid, at least.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    spankybus said:
    I clicked on the link, saw what is basically a novel about one person...yea, and closed it as quick as I possibly could. Whatever craziness drove someone to write all of that...must border on obsession.

Did you haters actually read all of that? Out of curiosity, I copy/pasted it into Scrivener...29,432 words. For context the first Harry Potter book was about 86k words.

That is nearly thirty thousand words of someones hateful obsession over Chris Roberts. If you actually sat there and read all of that...you and the author both need therapy. But then, maybe the author a got paid, at least.
    I just thought I would point out you're assuming it's hateful without having read it.

Is no-one allowed to mention the Chris now?

...when do I learn the secret handshake?

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Erillion said:
    Ah yes, another extremely long article written by Nick Monroe, aka "PressFartToContinue", "bandit", "istheguy", a goon using the handle "PFTC" on SA forums and who is something of a PI for TheSmarty, responsible for the dirt digging side of the  anti-SC campaign.

I love the disclaimer at the beginning (especially the word "..whollly.." -  tells me that this is a totally unbiased article with no hidden intent whatsoever.

" [Disclaimer: The contents of this article contained herein are for informational purposes only. It does not wholly attribute any criminal activity nor unlawful conduct to any particular individual mentioned in the piece.] "

Have fun

Oh look, an Ad-Hom post 
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    I didn't read the whole thing (it's way too long) and from what I gathered it's a bunch of old news about stuff Chris worked on attached together by speculative text around them then it switch to Star Citizen and add more speculation make things appear "bad". Like Eric Peterson leaving the project because he didn't want to move to LA.

Still, I liked the Wing Commander movie when I saw it the first time. B) 

• OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467
    edited August 2016
    hmm, wasn't there something about the goons? goons got mad and started an online witch hunt against SC? of all the things a well organised group could put their efforts into, theirs seems to always have been about making other peoples lives a misery.
    Post edited by Oriphus on
    :)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

What points? His disclaimer on the top puts everything. He makes claims and goes through lines of thought based on speculation and un-proven accusations.... to get to his own conclusions.

Good for him, but many things he touched towards SC are not points yet assumptions and his own opinions, something known as: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_perception

And when this comes from people already known for some degree of hateful behavior towards SC / CIG & its employees, It doesn't come from a neutral standpoint.
    What claims then if you don't mind my asking? He posted plenty of links to back up what he was saying.
    spankybus said:

I just thought I would point out you're assuming it's hateful without having read it.

You are only allowed to mention Chris Roberts if it includes, our god and savior with it otherwise you just get attacked here
    edited August 2016
    When the messenger has lack of credibility (for being involved on situations that don't involve SC even) and his doing on opinion article... then it falls on trust on the messenger integrity and neutrality.

Neutrality that the author does not have on this topic.

Kefo said:
    What claims then if you don't mind my asking? He posted plenty of links to back up what he was saying.
    Many parts, he backs with his own opinions. Even on parts as "Star Citizen manages to have many employees with concerns" is speculative statements based on the assumptions that show nothing but bias, the "many" also tries to imply a big scale to it so it looks "bad".
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    spankybus said:

Oh, I skimmed through it and read several sections. it's completely un-journalistic...not a biography. At that length, you'd expect something along the lines of a biography...its a big article on how he ruins everything he touches.

You can mention Chris all you like...but if you wanna use 30k words to do it..shees. I write here and there, and that is a lot of writing. Unless they were commissioned to research and write an expose', that is a level of commitment I can only label as obsessed.

You will learn the secret handshake when you treat both sides with equal skepticism. I ignore pretty much everything the rabbit says as I am sure he's a paid shill, along with one or two others. But then there is the hater brigade which is equally immune to facts and spin everything to their line of though...like most of the sections of that article I peeped.

Not saying that elements in that article aren't true. I am saying I don't care.

The Gamescon demo was very impressive, but it isn't here yet. Until I can play it, will keep my mouth shut. But anyone who watched that and says that SC and CIG I all a scam is an ignorant git. They are clearly making progress and have my respect for trying something this massive.

Can they finish it before they run out of money? Hell if I know, but I am willing to watch and wait. I don';t need a novel to tell me why the sky is falling.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I thought the article was quite informative, atleast until the bit about Ascendant Pictures, from there it gets a bit too gossipy and speculative for my liking.
    It was quite interesting seeing the continued search to find his vision and the cost of doing so. There's certainly a feeling of history repeating itself in many ways and evidence of parallels that one could draw as well.
    I think the myth of Chris Roberts is rather overblown to be honest.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    azarhal said:
    I didn't read the whole thing (it's way too long) and from what I gathered it's a bunch of old news about stuff Chris worked on attached together by speculative text around them then it switch to Star Citizen and add more speculation make things appear "bad". Like Eric Peterson leaving the project because he didn't want to move to LA.

I liked the movie also.  Later I found there was an entire subplot that was dropped from the film.

This is taken from a post in IMDB.
    The traitor subplot was included in the novelization so you can pick up a cheap copy if you are interested. 

Basically there was a pilgrim traitor onboard Pegasus as well as on the Tiger Claw. Blair's holographic sidekick merlin detects a signal from the concom that happens to be an old pilgrim code. Eventually during the raid to get power cells, Blair tracks the signal again. a lot of action was cut there. At one point he grenades the bridge to stop them from self destructing. And then he confronts Gerald who thinks he's the traitor and eventually kills the actual traitor in a knife fight with his pilgrim cross (hence why Paladin gives him his later and why blairs hand is cut). THere's also some minor scenes about a tattoo on paladin's neck (still visible in the movie) which apparently was from some kind of Kilrathi POW camp. IT's hard to say if the sequence was completed effects-wise but there is also a scene where Paladin ejects from the Broadsword after his torpedo salvo on the Kilrathi Capship. Blair is supposed to tractor him in his Rapier. (According the the confed handbook the older CF rapiers have tractor beams) That's why paladin is standing there bleeding after maniac lands when rosie crashes.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131646/board/nest/79351301?p=1

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

MaxBacon said:
    When the messenger has lack of credibility (for being involved on situations that don't involve SC even) and his doing on opinion article... then it falls on trust on the messenger integrity and neutrality.

Neutrality that the author does not have on this topic.

Kefo said:
    Many parts, he doesn't back anything with facts yet with his own opinions. Even on parts as "Star Citizen manages to have many employees with concerns" is speculative statements based on the assumptions that show nothing but bias. I wouldn't see that comment being made if the messenger was neutral.
    So as Spankybus helpfully pointed out there are 29,432 words and you are dismissing an entire article on 9 words. Did you just skim to the bottom and pick out some bolded text?

I mean come on, if you are going to attack something at least try to put a little more effort into the thing.
    edited August 2016
    Kefo said:
    So as Spankybus helpfully pointed out there are 29,432 words and you are dismissing an entire article on 9 words. Did you just skim to the bottom and pick out some bolded text?

I mean come on, if you are going to attack something at least try to put a little more effort into the thing.
    You are twisting it to turn it against me. I highlighted one of many.

For me the objective he has is not even a biography or anything, is just trying to make the whole person in question look as bad as possible, in every single part of his career.

I'd wait for one article on him that is neutral, goes towards both sides of a story and achieves a middle-ground. Because this ain't it.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    azarhal said:

I liked the movie also.  Later I found there was an entire subplot that was dropped from the film.

[skip]
    Subplot being dropped of film happens all the time. The editing process can change the entire plot too, I don't remember the movie, but I remember reading about an actor who was hired as a "co-star" but his role was totally removed from the final version of the movie at the editing stage. Outch.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited August 2016
    spankybus said:
    spankybus said:

Oh, I skimmed through it and read several sections. it's completely un-journalistic...not a biography. At that length, you'd expect something along the lines of a biography...its a big article on how he ruins everything he touches.

You can mention Chris all you like...but if you wanna use 30k words to do it..shees. I write here and there, and that is a lot of writing. Unless they were commissioned to research and write an expose', that is a level of commitment I can only label as obsessed.

You will learn the secret handshake when you treat both sides with equal skepticism. I ignore pretty much everything the rabbit says as I am sure he's a paid shill, along with one or two others. But then there is the hater brigade which is equally immune to facts and spin everything to their line of though...like most of the sections of that article I peeped.

Not saying that elements in that article aren't true. I am saying I don't care.

The Gamescon demo was very impressive, but it isn't here yet. Until I can play it, will keep my mouth shut. But anyone who watched that and says that SC and CIG I all a scam is an ignorant git. They are clearly making progress and have my respect for trying something this massive.

Can they finish it before they run out of money? Hell if I know, but I am willing to watch and wait. I don';t need a novel to tell me why the sky is falling.
    Did he (the author) claim it was all a scam?

I write too, and I'm never in favor of hanging someone first and holding the jury trial later.  Gently, you wrote "I clicked on the link [...] and closed it as quick as I possibly could" followed by "[d]id you haters actually read all of that?" and "thirty thousand words of someones hateful obsession" then "anyone who watched [the Gamescon demo] and says that SC and CIG [are] all a scam is an ignorant git".

The initial length of the article struck me as a little obsessive, too.  However, I didn't find the tone at all "hateful".  I personally don't have the time or interest to pore over such an article at this point in my life.  That doesn't mean I am going to spout opinions about the character of the work, though.

It may be time for a personal barometer check.
    Post edited by Phaserlight on

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Yet another thinly veiled hit piece on Christ Roberts and SC...<yawn>...

Most be a slow news cycle.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    http://gameranx.com/updates/id/70445/article/star-citizen-had-a-great-gamescom-demo/

From the same author, from about a week and a half ago.
    Balmong said:
    Hold on now that's just going to throw Erillions and maxbacon into a tizzy. Clearly the article must be a fake since the character of this person is all hatred and has an agenda against SC

MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

You are twisting it to turn it against me. I highlighted one of many.

For me the objective he has is not even a biography or anything, is just trying to make the whole person in question look as bad as possible, in every single part of his career.

I'd wait for one article on him that is neutral, goes towards both sides of a story and achieves a middle-ground. Because this ain't it.
    I'm not twisting anything. You highlighted one, not many, but one. Feel free to give more examples but if you actually read the article everything up to the SC portion is verified fact, you just don't like it because you can't change that Chris is a knucklehead when it comes to managing.

As a side note if you did read the article you would know the author said he did like he punisher which Chris was a part of but have to overlook that since it conflicts with the "shout down the haters with more hate" crusade.