Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any recommendations for good MMOs?

RykimaruhRykimaruh Member UncommonPosts: 18
So I've been on an extended MMO break and I kinda wanted to come back and play something refreshing (if any).

A little background one what I played somewhat recently in the past few years:

1. FFXIV ARR
2. Skyforge
3. EVE
4. GW2
5. ArcheAge
6. TERA
7. Blade & Soul
8. ELOA

There are more I've played but it's been more than 4 years since I did played those others

Comments

• huntersamhuntersam Member UncommonPosts: 210
    good luck in finding one , i gave up and went to play lotro casually (lifetime membership)and i have been going though my steam catalogue and playing single player especially lego games ( for research of course)
  • NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Some quality games in that list.

ESO is missing though, and more then worth a play through.
  • RykimaruhRykimaruh Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Nightlite said:

-ArcheAge was fun with its sandbox element and combining multiple classes, but I was told ArcheAge is essentially dead and bot still ruining game as it is

-Blade & Soul was kinda okay, it had lot of hiccups when it released so I played for a bit and stopped, don't know if it's worth going back to it now.

-GW2, haven't played since 2014 so don't know how fa it is in terms of content

-Skyforge got repetitive with dungeon queuing only type gameplay style, saw the new trailer but really hasn't grasped my interest enough

-FFXIVARR decided to give it a break until enough content has been released (at least for me) since all I've been doing was farming raids and occasionally leveling up other classes

-TERA, was fun, but super grindy as hell back in 2012, not sure how it is now

-ELOA is somewhat a casual type game for me to play since it's a point and click Diablo-esque style

-EVE is pretty much the only one from the list which I play on occasions as well for skill training and trying out new stuff CCP releases

ESO I played one closed beta session, felt like Skyrim single player with added multiplayers functionality, dunno how it is now

I thought maybe there would be either some new mmo games coming out now I'm not aware of or any "hidden gems" that could be considered

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    If multiplayer with up to 80-100 people is ok, with 8-12 server persistence.

I suggest Arma 3 Sa-Matra wasteland multiplayer servers.
    Sa-Matra Wasteland is just a mission file (ca 3MB) that has to be downloaded (done automatically), though some servers might downloading mod files (gigabytes of stuff) via a special launcher, but this is ofc automatic and done through Steam's infrastructure.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited September 2016
    I'd suggest BDO since you seem to like sandboxy MMOs, but there are things to be warned about:

1. It's grindy as hell.  And not quest grindy, literally grinding mobs is the major endgame activity.  For me I actually find it relaxing and kind of zone out doing it, but for most it is too boring.

2. It's p2w (or borderline p2w) and will only become more so as time goes on.  You'll also have to spend 40 bucks for pets to auto loot at endgame.  You'll probably want weight increases too.

Those are theoretically available on the marketplace now but there's no way in hell you'll ever buy them, as everyone wants to get them and they aren't very profitable for the sellers compared to costumes.

So just be prepared to pay in addition to the box price.

3. Devs are uncommunicative and untrustworthy.  It's hard to tell if it's because we're a foreign audience or what, but don't expect a good Dev relationship.

4. Game is going to be terribly unbalanced for the next 4 months or so as classes get awakenings (super-powered versions of their respective classes).  The ones with them will rule while the others will have to wait.

If you're OK with all that, the game is actually amazing.

It can also be played very casually, where many of these things don't apply as problems.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     I'd say go back and check out GW2, it's a really good in between mix of all those. A lot has been added since launch, more than enough for a few months of content to go through. Raids and new abilities, and weapons for all classes etc.  Player base is still healthy, and there are tons of guilds for every flavor of gameplay.  You'll have to get the expansion, but there's still no monthly fee so you can come and go as you please. 

BDO, and ESO are in my back list though, personally I think BDO is more immersive and enjoyable.  Both require a monthly sub to get everything you need, but are also quite cash shop intensive, ESO less so than BDO. My guild recently returned to GW2 from BDO, but I'll go back and check it out once all the class awakenings are released. 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Well, there are few indie games in the making that seems interesting, Pantheon for PvE and Camaelot Unchained & Crowfall for PvP. Shards is worth keeping your eyes on for both.

Out right now you might want to try TSW if you havn't before... It's pretty good.

Or maybe go back and check out one of the games you already tried if the reason you quit it is something more content and minor fixes can solve. If you generally thought it sucked it will still suck.

Time can fix some things with MMOs but the basics are built into them and devs don't really NGE games anymore because that never work. If you can't stand the basics at release just stay away. If you did like the basics but bugs, lack of content or similar stuff were the problem it is certainly worth a second look.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Dragon Nest
    Vendetta Online

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

I'd suggest BDO since you seem to like sandboxy MMOs, but there are things to be warned about:

1. It's grindy as hell.  And not quest grindy, literally grinding mobs is the major endgame activity.  For me I actually find it relaxing and kind of zone out doing it, but for most it is too boring.

2. It's p2w (or borderline p2w) and will only become more so as time goes on.  You'll also have to spend 40 bucks for pets to auto loot at endgame.  You'll probably want weight increases too.

Those are theoretically available on the marketplace now but there's no way in hell you'll ever buy them, as everyone wants to get them and they aren't very profitable for the sellers compared to costumes.

So just be prepared to pay in addition to the box price.

3. Devs are uncommunicative and untrustworthy.  It's hard to tell if it's because we're a foreign audience or what, but don't expect a good Dev relationship.

4. Game is going to be terribly unbalanced for the next 4 months or so as classes get awakenings (super-powered versions of their respective classes).  The ones with them will rule while the others will have to wait.

If you're OK with all that, the game is actually amazing.

It can also be played very casually, where many of these things don't apply as problems.

Sounds like a lot of spending to get the things i need in the game. I'll wait that game out and see how it's doing
    Nyctelios said:
    -LoTRO;
    -Heavensward is great if you want to go back to FF14ARR;
    -I'm having fun with ESO now and I really disliked it when it launched.;
    -PoE if you are into some arpg, Albion too;
    -Legion is here if you are into WoW;
    -EvE will be free to try soon, should check that out.

I wish people here would gather up on Lotro to play it. That game is emtpy as f*!!! Can't find anyone for my story progression dungeons, and even spent days asking around towns for help.

-I stooped playing FFXIV ARR back in May, so I got the endgame content and then poof.
    -PoE I tried the super early build, but dunno how it's doing atm. They are point and click like ELOA, so I'll check them out
    -ESO haven't tried it, will check that out
    -I stopped playing WoW in Cataclysm, after that I could never get back to it...maybe I burned out too deep with the game
    -Yeah, saw that with EVE lol

Thanks for some of the suggestions
  • vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Yeah, you should definitely check out ESO, so much better now, you won't regret it.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Aion is worth a try if you have never played it. 
  • TheJudge666TheJudge666 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    OP WOW: Legion by a mile. I'm even surprised you had to ask. The individuals here who suggested something else have different agendas (if you know what I mean)
    Recore said:

I  played it back in 2009 when it released and was P2P lol It was fun having those massive world pvp events in that one place where it's a tug-o-war zone. Stopped playing because it was super grindy at that time as well as lot of problems that made thee playerbase leave if i recall
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Rykimaruh said:
    Recore said:

I  played it back in 2009 when it released and was P2P lol It was fun having those massive world pvp events in that one place where it's a tug-o-war zone. Stopped playing because it was super grindy at that time as well as lot of problems that made thee playerbase leave if i recall

You should try it again. Alot has changed since 2009.  =)
  • StarS0ftStarS0ft Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Realizer said:
     I'd say go back and check out GW2, it's a really good in between mix of all those. A lot has been added since launch, more than enough for a few months of content to go through. Raids and new abilities, and weapons for all classes etc.  Player base is still healthy, and there are tons of guilds for every flavor of gameplay.  You'll have to get the expansion, but there's still no monthly fee so you can come and go as you please. 

BDO, and ESO are in my back list though, personally I think BDO is more immersive and enjoyable.  Both require a monthly sub to get everything you need, but are also quite cash shop intensive, ESO less so than BDO. My guild recently returned to GW2 from BDO, but I'll go back and check it out once all the class awakenings are released. 
    I can Suggest 2 games:

GW2:HoT
    New (HoT) vertical zones are incredible, raids are surprisingly good, horisontal progression, flying (gliding) across all Tyria , new elite-specs to all classes, profession and sPVP is so fun.

WOW:Legion
    It's WoW. No need to explain why this game.
    Story, new zones, music are good; everething is very polished. Interesting artefact progression. Totally new talents. Raids are not opened yet, can't comment.
  • iScreemiScreem Member CommonPosts: 1
    Recore said:
    Rykimaruh said:
    Recore said:

You should try it again. Alot has changed since 2009.  =)
    alot has changed that is because everyone left... Eternal Bastion farm 24/7
  • dnserrordnserror Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Rykimaruh said:
    So I've been on an extended MMO break and I kinda wanted to come back and play something refreshing (if any).

1. FFXIV ARR
    2. Skyforge
    3. EVE
    4. GW2
    5. ArcheAge
    6. TERA
    7. Blade & Soul
    8. ELOA

There are more I've played but it's been more than 4 years since I did played those others

You said you played, didn't say you liked enjoyed etc.
    2. Skyforge - I watched through beta - told my brothers and friends to avoid it, they all preordered anyways and had quit within a month.
    3. Eve - I tried playing back when it came out, couldn't get into it, at the time, I was in beta for Earth & Beyond - loved that game, wished EA hadn't killed it.
    4. GW2 = played through the storyline on several characters, liked it at first, but once got to the end game, the crafting was a unfun repetitive grind, gear ups were the same way, and the auctionhouse has to be the worst AH I ever experienced where crafting materials are 50x the value of anything you will make with them and the on AH across all servers means there are always 1000 other people all trying to sell the same thing you just made.  I want to craft, I want to profit  from my craft, GW2 is profit from resource gathering and selling it. I lost interest, and tried to come back at the expansion and lost interest again within days. A friend talked me into coming back and playing PVP, did that, after a few weeks of farming pvp levels where one side would rung to middle break floor and die, they alternate so the other team could, I grew bored of that too.
    5. Archeage - beta it - advised friends against it, again they all bought it, and within a month were no longer playing..

I'm kind of tired of no name mmo's, I'm 37 and been online gaming since back in the when I dialed up to the local BBS and played text based games LORD RULES! The last indie mmo I gave a try at was black gold online, fantasy steampunk , played for 4 months was in endgame, people dropping like flies, seemed like devs abandoned it. 

For a while there, I was playing Trove - it's an odd game, it sucked me in for a year. Now I'm back to Marvel Heroes. - think I may fire up WoW since I havn't played since endgame cata. Hope the perspective helps.

Globeadue

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Guild Wars 1 and 2 are the only MMO's I play right now and I'm quite satisfied. The only two other MMO's I'm looking forward too are Star Citizen and Ember (FireFall)

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Rykimaruh said:
    Nightlite said:

-ArcheAge was fun with its sandbox element and combining multiple classes, but I was told ArcheAge is essentially dead and bot still ruining game as it is

-Blade & Soul was kinda okay, it had lot of hiccups when it released so I played for a bit and stopped, don't know if it's worth going back to it now.

-GW2, haven't played since 2014 so don't know how fa it is in terms of content

-Skyforge got repetitive with dungeon queuing only type gameplay style, saw the new trailer but really hasn't grasped my interest enough

-FFXIVARR decided to give it a break until enough content has been released (at least for me) since all I've been doing was farming raids and occasionally leveling up other classes

-TERA, was fun, but super grindy as hell back in 2012, not sure how it is now

-ELOA is somewhat a casual type game for me to play since it's a point and click Diablo-esque style

-EVE is pretty much the only one from the list which I play on occasions as well for skill training and trying out new stuff CCP releases

ESO I played one closed beta session, felt like Skyrim single player with added multiplayers functionality, dunno how it is now

I thought maybe there would be either some new mmo games coming out now I'm not aware of or any "hidden gems" that could be considered

these posts are funny.   I am looking for a good game.  GOOD GAME being the key bit right.  Eventually the user has another post with a long list of games and issues and what not.  There are many good games there aren't any perfect games.

How about this, grab a game you haven't played and play to max or a few months which ever is longest. Try to find a way to enjoy it even if it doesn't have things you think make that perfect game you imagine.

Here are four games you should play to max:  EQ2, DDO, RIFT, SWTOR
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• aCi11i3saCi11i3s Member UncommonPosts: 54
    ESO for the story and questing but end game is dead atm.  I like BDO but feel like I'm progressing to go nowhere.  Guess I'm going back to WoW for the new exp...sad but true
  • LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    Rykimaruh said:

1. FFXIV ARR
    2. Skyforge
    3. EVE
    4. GW2
    5. ArcheAge
    6. TERA
    7. Blade & Soul
    8. ELOA

Come back in 5 years and there will be 5 "innovative" MMOs in development at least 3 years out :/
  • fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    Runescape! I hear The Secret World is good too. Although you might find these two lacking in the combat department, their quests are considered to be some of the best in the genre. You could try an older game like Guild Wars 1 too. I know people still play that.
  • KinringKinring Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Revelation Online is set to go into closed beta in October. It is a Chinese game and will likely be P2W (or go that way much like BDO did), but it looks like a very good and in-depth game (the Chinese version has been out for a while now).

Otherwise Camelot Unchained and Crowfall are both looking promising, but Crowfall is set to release August of next year and CU has not given any indication that they will be releasing anytime soon. CU will likely be next summer as well.

Revelation is the best upcoming game as of right now.