Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mood and atmosphere

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
edited August 2016 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Is there any game (MMO), irrespective of gameplay or mechanics, that you really enjoy  (or enjoyed in the past) just for the mood or unique or strong and distinct atmosphere?

For me:

1 ESO (There are always a lot of people around in the towns, so it feels busy. Each area has it's unique architecture and mood.)

2 The Division (I don't play often, but I will go back. There is a certain mood there, though, that is very immersive for me.)

3 The Secret World (in the past, but it was pretty scary at certain times, e.g., dark parking garage)

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Vendetta Online

Ryzom

World of Warcraft

Eve Online

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I really enjoyed the atmospheres in Archeage and WoW at various times. I think there is a lot to be said for seamless worlds and the special little places you can find with their own moods.

Another huge game world that I loved was the original Darkfall (the world was called Agon). It was huge and I could explore with my raft and find all kinds of cool places.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    WoW in the beginning had some zones that just stunned me with their mood, like Darkshore, Tirisfal, Ashenvale and many others. Same goes for some dungeons.

SWG had some great planets, but if i remember right they used some sort of speedtree technology to generate assets.
    Other than that, i think the game had a Star Wars vibe to it that hasn't been hit with later SW titles.

EQ2, but alot of it's zone's impressions on me were because of the beautiful music.

EvE has a strong atmosphere you can't deny, but i don't like it. The desolate, vast space feeling doesn't catch me in a good way.

AoC has some great zones that really hit this gritty R.E.Howard style.

As for non MMOs i think the most impressive mood was the original STALKER when i first played it. It totally caught me with its incredible dark, bleak, desperate atmosphere which at that time i haven't seen in any game before. Fallout 3 and 4 with some mods for more rain and darkness come right after that.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    Ryzom, Final Fantasy 14, Lineage 2
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited August 2016
    Everquest 2.

I played it for years, mainly for the atmosphere. Many games out there had similar features. Many games were more polished (and on paper more "fun"). Despite that, EQ2 has been my clear favourite. Something about the world just clicks for me.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    WoW. The zones feel so different, and each of the themes feels good and manages to create its own mood and atmosphere.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Vanguard Saga of Heroes had a great atmosphere in my opinion. It was one of those game that I felt I could get lost in. 

Age of Conan also has some great atmosphere and moot settings going on. 
    fodell54 said:
    Vanguard Saga of Heroes had a great atmosphere in my opinion. It was one of those game that I felt I could get lost in.

I really liked Vanguard's world, too. Sadly, I started playing (on and off) about a year before it was shut down.

• Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited August 2016
    Playing on a map in Arma with sunny sky, trees and chirping birds is always nice.

Though I think Arma 3 is terrible.
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    LoTRO and WoW, the lighting, environment and music all came together for me.  Not that I haven't enjoyed other games but only those two stand out for me.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    EQ1 and EQ2, for the Lore and the High Fantasy settings.

Darkfall, for the gritty environment and atmosphere.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Bless looks really cool, but I don't want to let myself get hyped for it. I've become jaded and will take a wait and see attitude till after it launches for a couple of months. But I want to like it. (And I will probably cave and be in early access as soon as it becomes available. Dammit.)

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    d_20 said:
    fodell54 said:

I really liked Vanguard's world, too. Sadly, I started playing (on and off) about a year before it was shut down.
    Sadly I started playing it on day one when everything was broken. It did have great potential though.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    For that true immersive experience, it is extremely difficult to do better than EQ1 in the Kedge Keep zone.  The atmosphere was washed out a bit, with older graphics.  Sharks were things to be feared, navigation in a 3D maze was disorienting and the drowning felt real.  As a bonus, you could blame a druid for not having enough fish scales.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    SWG

So, many of planets simply felt empty, probably because they were. Tech wasn't good enough to really flesh out every planet, cities kinda sucked. But, this flaw is what made Tattooine perfect! The emptiness suits a desert planet. Given how large the game world was, Tattooine just worked for me. Get on your speeder and head out of the city, you could travel for ages without seeing other people or structures. The occasional cave or point of interest just made it feel right. 

LotRO

Pre-mirkwood, Turbine created some fantastic landscapes. Particular favourite is the Old Forest (vanilla). This is where the 4 hobbits got lost and met Tom Bombadil. In game, they created the right vibe of gloominess and danger. It was also designed as a maze and they deliberately turned off your map when you were in there. It felt exciting to explore the Old Forest (ofc, they later dumbed it down and turned on the map). Other notable zones are the Shire, Angmar, Misty Mountains and Lorien. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    EQ1

Secret World

SWG

Guild Wars 2

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    For me the Tortage starter experience was and still is the single greatest MMO story, mood, NPC's, atmosphere of any MMO I've ever played.
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Not much has hit me right in atmosphere. EQ1, AoC, EVE... to a certain extent Vanguard...

That's about it.

I had one or two really magical moments in EQ2 thanks to some of the writing, but less so the worldbuilding or art style.

LotRO is often praised in this regard, but even as a lifelong Tolkien fanatic, it felt all wrong to me. Likewise TSW, and I was glued to those pre-release ARGs.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited September 2016
    FFXI had amazing atmosphere.  Even though the graphics are really dated now, they were really nice back then and the music was superb.

Best Modern MMO atmosphere has to be BDO.  Great graphics (minus the pop-in) with a style unique to it's own- it's not asian, but not really typical western medieval either.  Great music.
    Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Ultima online before Tammel and Age of Shadows expansion when it was alive with player communities.  It really had a great medieval feel to it. And some great music that gave places an identity.

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    edited September 2016
    gw2 at queensdale only...

archeage...

teso..yeah a bit at town

ragnarok online...
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited September 2016
    "just for the mood or unique or strong and distinct atmosphere"

NO

Gameplay matters.

I hope NO dev will try make a game with the intent on only creating a mood or unique or strong and distinct atmosphere. Cue theme park bs.
    "just for the mood or unique or strong and distinct atmosphere"

NO

Gameplay matters.

I hope NO dev will try make a game with the intent on only creating a mood or unique or strong and distinct atmosphere. Cue theme park bs.
    But sometimes there is a good game and the atmosphere also happens to be there.  Of course, if a game sucks, I don't think people would be around to enjoy whatever atmosphere there would be.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    UO for the lore that felt like it was playable.

WoW for it's polish and "world". Swimming and finding an underwater community of water breathers, taking griphon rides and looking down on the world, the entire world was full of polished "feel". (I'm sure other games have plenty of this too, but Themepark pretty much ruins a game for me so I haven't played many nor have I played anything in years now.)

Once upon a time....