Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hate to ask but Im in a pickle

IcovaIcova Member UncommonPosts: 33

was browsing newegg and suddenly my pc freezes up and I get a messege

blackedaccess.com says:

                                 YOUR COMPUETR HAS BEEN BLOCKED

Error #3657cd0d1620bces

Please call us immediately at (877)766-2114


the message goes on to claim it's Microsoft and facebook gmail etc etc is compromised

what do I do next ? hard reboot?

not letting me close screen or navigate

I have bit defender and malware bytes both are up to date

Thank you guys


I endeavor to understand the thinking of those who have shaped our world, yet I lack the ability to insert my head, that far, up my ass.

«1

Comments

  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,104
    I make sure I don't reboot until after I have a rescue disk that will scan when I boot the PC. . Often rebooting helps the process of the virus to bury more stuff.  I am no expert though.  I usually make a rescue disk / USB with avast if someone is having problems and boot to that disk.  

    I am no expert though but thought I would throw that out.

    Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

  • IcovaIcova Member UncommonPosts: 33
    edited August 2016

     Don't have a rescue disk I just have my windows disk, which if I need to I can re format windows. It's windows 7 and its keyed to that machine. I upgraded to windows 10 on line in January from that same license.


    I endeavor to understand the thinking of those who have shaped our world, yet I lack the ability to insert my head, that far, up my ass.

  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,140
    If you have system restore running do a system restore from the last marker.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,060
    It's not really Microsoft. 

    I don't guess that surprises you though.

    You got yourself a case of ransomware.

    Best bet is to reformat the hard drive entirely and do a clean reinstall, if you can get that far. Be careful restoring from backups after the clean install.
  • IcovaIcova Member UncommonPosts: 33
    OK, closed that was on google chrome browser, task manager did let me shut that all down, I have functionality. Running a fresh Microsoft Safety Scan  http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx   using the downstairs computer to talk to you guys

    I endeavor to understand the thinking of those who have shaped our world, yet I lack the ability to insert my head, that far, up my ass.

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,115
    A quick search found this:

    https://malwaretips.com/blogs/your-computer-has-been-blocked-virus/

    That strikes me as likely to be good advice, so I'd try it.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Yeah, that is malware. 
    Either run a online viruscanner (Trendmicros housecall is good) or try Lavasofts free Add-Aware. That should solve your problem, but once you cleared it I recommend a backup copy of you C: drive.
  • IcovaIcova Member UncommonPosts: 33
    yeap I did a copy had it on my external then needed the space, rofl, so YAY first time since 02 Ive needed it and done did it to myself. live and laugh what else a poor boy do, thanks guys

    I endeavor to understand the thinking of those who have shaped our world, yet I lack the ability to insert my head, that far, up my ass.

  • IcovaIcova Member UncommonPosts: 33
    edited August 2016

    Oh by the way by time I wrote the first Post in this thread and walked back upstairs I had functionality back enough to use task manager to close all the google chrome applications I had going. Then I had complete functionality.

     I understand that doesn't mean Im good still have to do all the crud, just thought I'd mention it since I hadn't given an complete report to you all , of the problem.

    Then I downloaded Microsoft safety scanner and am running it. Will do the rest from, Quiz's and Loke's, recommendations.

    Thanks again. oh and I have not restarted yet


    I endeavor to understand the thinking of those who have shaped our world, yet I lack the ability to insert my head, that far, up my ass.

  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Icova said:

    Oh by the way by time I wrote the first Post in this thread and walked back upstairs I had functionality back enough to use task manager to close all the google chrome applications I had going. Then I had complete functionality.

     I understand that doesn't mean Im good still have to do all the crud, just thought I'd mention it since I hadn't given an complete report to you all , of the problem.

    Then I downloaded Microsoft safety scanner and am running it. Will do the rest from, Quiz's and Loke's, recommendations.

    Thanks again. oh and I have not restarted yet


    So long as you had normal security settings and not some crazy allow everything you should be ok.  I can direct you to websites that do this microsoft security scam once you visit them.  Its just a website all you gotta do is alt-f4 the window closed and don't install anything when it asks.  If your web browser homepage is changed then you got some malware and gotta take care of that.  Also not familiar with malwarebytes or bit defender.  Its possible they are doing it cuz how else are they gonna get paid for what they offer.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    filmoret said:
    Icova said:

    Oh by the way by time I wrote the first Post in this thread and walked back upstairs I had functionality back enough to use task manager to close all the google chrome applications I had going. Then I had complete functionality.

     I understand that doesn't mean Im good still have to do all the crud, just thought I'd mention it since I hadn't given an complete report to you all , of the problem.

    Then I downloaded Microsoft safety scanner and am running it. Will do the rest from, Quiz's and Loke's, recommendations.

    Thanks again. oh and I have not restarted yet


    So long as you had normal security settings and not some crazy allow everything you should be ok.  I can direct you to websites that do this microsoft security scam once you visit them.  Its just a website all you gotta do is alt-f4 the window closed and don't install anything when it asks.  If your web browser homepage is changed then you got some malware and gotta take care of that.  Also not familiar with malwarebytes or bit defender.  Its possible they are doing it cuz how else are they gonna get paid for what they offer.
    Malwarebytes antimalware program is legit afaik, and free, at least as long as you are getting it from them and not a questionable copy from somewhere else.

    OP needs to make sure their antivirus and firewall is set up right, hopefully they aren't relying on windows firewall etc to protect their system? personally i recommend Avast, its not let me down so far, but there are plenty of other equally good options out there.
    The other thing, and perhaps more extreme, is i don't have adobe software on my system, so no shockwave etc. surprisingly a lot of malware requires those things in order to work. :o
  • NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    You had a popup script, probably not from newegg.com..

    Nothing happened, nothing is infected, nothing was installed, nothing is wrong. Move on :)
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Nightlite said:
    You had a popup script, probably not from newegg.com..

    Nothing happened, nothing is infected, nothing was installed, nothing is wrong. Move on :)

  • NightliteNightlite Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Phry said:
    Nightlite said:
    You had a popup script, probably not from newegg.com..

    Nothing happened, nothing is infected, nothing was installed, nothing is wrong. Move on :)
    Picard face palming..
    Because popup scams are less likely than a malicious ransom virus? Nothing he has said in anyway leads to the ransom virus assumption. Face palm all you want though, by the time you guys are done he will have smashed burned and destroyed his hard drive over a popup scam.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,115
    Nightlite said:
    You had a popup script, probably not from newegg.com..

    Nothing happened, nothing is infected, nothing was installed, nothing is wrong. Move on :)
    While pop-up scripts trying to get you to install malware or something are annoyingly common (and a reason to turn on ad-blocking on that site), that can only mess with a single browser tab, not lock up the entire computer.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Nightlite said:
    Phry said:
    Nightlite said:
    You had a popup script, probably not from newegg.com..

    Nothing happened, nothing is infected, nothing was installed, nothing is wrong. Move on :)
    Picard face palming..
    Because popup scams are less likely than a malicious ransom virus? Nothing he has said in anyway leads to the ransom virus assumption. Face palm all you want though, by the time you guys are done he will have smashed burned and destroyed his hard drive over a popup scam.
    I would hardly call running an antivirus program such as housecall as smashing and burning his HD.
    But, if the ostritch method works for you, fine.
  • IcovaIcova Member UncommonPosts: 33
    My malwarebytes is actually the pro version with a license key. I suspect it was a pop up, hit man found nothing, hitman kickstart doesnt work, malware bytes found nothing, microsoft found nothing and bit defender found nothing. Im using the machine now. I had been reading an article at c net, and that window was also open when I was browsing newegg, and it did have alot of ad pop ups. my setting are all normal, except I have network discovery and homegroup off. 

    I endeavor to understand the thinking of those who have shaped our world, yet I lack the ability to insert my head, that far, up my ass.

  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,060
    Nightlite said:
    Phry said:
    Nightlite said:
    You had a popup script, probably not from newegg.com..

    Nothing happened, nothing is infected, nothing was installed, nothing is wrong. Move on :)
    Picard face palming..
    Because popup scams are less likely than a malicious ransom virus? Nothing he has said in anyway leads to the ransom virus assumption. Face palm all you want though, by the time you guys are done he will have smashed burned and destroyed his hard drive over a popup scam.
    So let's say your right, for arguments sake, and that a simple popup is way more common than an actual malware install/virus (I honestly don't know what the statistics are on this, but I can believe what you say here).

    Are you 100% certain you can rule out everything other than a simple popup script just from what the OP has said here? That there is 0 possibility of it being anything more malicious than just a popup script?

    The consequences of it actually being malware/virus/ransomware are very high. Even if the chance is pretty low, the fact that it ~might~ be, and that really bad things could then happen, warrant a bit more than just a clean reboot and then moving on.

    At least in my opinion.
  • IcovaIcova Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I'd rather be safe than sorry, and hey guys please, you all helped me. There nothing better on this earth than that (in priciple if nothing else). Thank you all BTW House call found nothing also

    I endeavor to understand the thinking of those who have shaped our world, yet I lack the ability to insert my head, that far, up my ass.

  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,304
    Icova said:

    was browsing newegg and suddenly my pc freezes up and I get a messege

    blackedaccess.com says:

                                     YOUR COMPUETR HAS BEEN BLOCKED

    Error #3657cd0d1620bces

    Please call us immediately at (877)766-2114


    the message goes on to claim it's Microsoft and facebook gmail etc etc is compromised

    what do I do next ? hard reboot?

    not letting me close screen or navigate

    I have bit defender and malware bytes both are up to date

    Thank you guys


    It's a scam, It was on the local news last week. You phone the number, and it's some bogus company that will come to your rescue for $300. The story in the news, the scam was coming out of India.

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 153
    If it was a one time pop up then that's all it was, close it out move on with your life, if it is reoccurring on multiple websites you could have a malicious extension/add-on or even fake proxy settings.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,635
    I keep getting the India guys that hardly speaking english calling claiming to be microsoft tech wanting to fix my computer bugs they detected. Even though I keep telling them I know they are criminals and con artist and I am turning their number over to Interpol they keep calling back. 
  • FoxyShoxzyFoxyShoxzy Member UncommonPosts: 120
    DarkHigh said:
    If it was a one time pop up then that's all it was, close it out move on with your life, if it is reoccurring on multiple websites you could have a malicious extension/add-on or even fake proxy settings.
    This. I help a handful of people with this every day. Most people call their ISP's when it happens, and yes I do ISP tech support. Yes, I realize that makes me about as useful as a bag of hammers.

    All we do is task manager them out of it, clear their cookies and cache, and send them on their way. If they have our "pc tech support", we send them in for cleaning and malware scan which usually turns up nothing unless they had a pre-existing infection to begin with.

    These popups are not a huge deal as long as you don't let the scammers remote into your system to "fix" the problem and pay them hundreds of dollars. These popups don't qualify as 'ransomware', more like junkware or scamware.

    Re-formatting and jumping back to a restore point is kinda overkill.
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Avoid dodgy torrent sites.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Quizzical said:
    Nightlite said:
    You had a popup script, probably not from newegg.com..

    Nothing happened, nothing is infected, nothing was installed, nothing is wrong. Move on :)
    While pop-up scripts trying to get you to install malware or something are annoyingly common (and a reason to turn on ad-blocking on that site), that can only mess with a single browser tab, not lock up the entire computer.

    There are several ways scripts can indeed lock up your entire computer, im not talking about likely hood or probability simply stating it can be done.

    image
    TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Sign In or Register to comment.