Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Shroud of Confusion - Shroud of the Avatar Review

1235»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am not so sure the author is the right person to review a game entirely.
    Example the mention of time consuming to craft and gather resources is a MUST,if you support the economy idea which the author does.
    If the whole crafting,harvesting idea is too easy,then ev1 will do it and easily and no economy is the result.Basically ,you can't have it both ways.

"confusing"lol,this could very well be a result of playing all the hand holding games,that don't allow you to learn or play but basically tel you what to do.
    Personally i do NOT want any hand holding,i want to walk into a world and feel like i would in real life,lost and need to talk to people and learn my surroundings.
    Point being this statement could realistically just be saying "it's not a Wow clone so that makes it confusing".

The game could very well be a dud,i expected as much but not sure i can trust any average gamer to give me a proper review.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    I just realized this review is 2 years old.
    Yet is amazing how nothing really changed since then.
    Ice-QueenThe_Real_WillardKyleran
    I can review the game properly later on this year in the forums. I have the ability to be objective when looking into games as a critique and not a fanboy of "some other game"
    You should that, that's what forums are about after all.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    The overland map idea was horrible, whoever was responsible for it should never work in the game industry again. I have a strong feeling it was Richard G, and my conclusion stands. It must have been a crude attempt at adding nostalgia.

In reality it was a cheap immersion breaking huge waste of development resources that added nothing and should have been put into making a good seamless world.
    Ice-Queen
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    I can review the game properly later on this year in the forums. I have the ability to be objective when looking into games as a critique and not a fanboy of "some other game"
    Objective...lol. Your post history says otherwise.
    JamesGoblinIce-QueenEponyxDamorInteritusNildenKyleran

• DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited May 2018

danwest58 said:

laserit said:

One can afford to spend 20M to take a trip into space, but needs crowdfunding to mak a cheap ridiculously priced cash shop Indie game.

I don't know about you guys, but it tells me pretty much everything I need to know.

Spending half his fortune (and having the economy then crash) to go into space didn't make sense to me, but hey, that's not confined to Garriott's behavior. 

Curt Schilling discovered that investing far more of his own money doesn't  always make things work.  

There are tons of 'indie' developers who  are just now discovering that it's not easy to make a cheap MMO.  

First the problem is Indie developers.  They are Great at writing lines of code but totally garbage at debugging, error handling and tuning any code.  For example I worked with a India development company for I will not name that had problems with Java Garbage collection and understanding how it works and how to implement this.  Now I am not a Programmer, I am a Sr. Windows Engineer who has worked very closely with hundreds of developers.  I took this Java Program to one of our US Developers and in 2 weeks he had the JAva Garbage Collection working without a problem.  

Indie developers like I say are great at writing lines of code but not at making that code quality.  I have had countless run ins with people like this.

The reason why we went to Indie developers?  Well when you can pay for a team of 10 to 15 developers for $100k to $200k for the year where as the same developer group in the US cost $1 Million to $2 Million.  So when there is a LACK OF FUNDS we go to with the cheap solution.  

You can thank the US regulations for that and tax code.   US Life Style too.  But when you have to sometimes pay an employee payroll tax 5 or 6 times there is a problem.  For example, You match  as an employer the Employees Federal, State and Local taxes, Plus Soc Sec and Medicare the Dollars really add up fast.  This is why we went Indie but Indie and Cheap are not going to make you quality MMO or games for that matter.  Yep It might run ok and look like a 20 year old game while at it.  

I think maybe you are confusing indie developers with "developers from india", rather than "independent developers" as the term means, though I'm sure there is some cross-over. There are lots of "indie" developers in the US and western nations. ....lol
    I can be objective. :)
    'Can' and 'will' are two different things.
    Ice-QueenTEKK3NMadFrenchie

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I have the ability to be objective 
    No
    TEKK3N
    Harbinger of Fools
    'Can' and 'will' are two different things.
    It would be fun to read though B)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

You have really started the guys of here. :)
  • ttomm46ttomm46 Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Looking at their website you would think backing this game would be a no brainer........I've played a lot of MMO'S including The Realm, UO, Meridian 59, I'm now 72 and old school sounds great..But it looks like I'll have to wait....! This game in it's current state is incomprehensible..
    Ozmodan said:
    Braindome said:
    Grimtuth said:
    My experience in sota has been very good. I had not pledged until the game became persistent.

I'm not sure why anyone is expecting and judging it as though it is a finished product. It isn't, and should only be looked at as a work underway. It is wonderfully rich, and leaves one with a sense of accomplishment, quite unlike other MMOs IMO.

I am an old school gamer and appreciate how many of the systems have been developed and implemented.

It has been a very long time since I have played a game that has me captivated.

The graphics are dated. The combat action is not the best in any sense of the term. However, neither of these concerns outweigh the fact that I find it's strengths greatly overshadow look and action. Besides, I am fully aware these are likely not yet complete.

It is an old school product that has not yet been impacted by the need to make everything simple for the player base. I believe there is a market for those looking for depth over ease, and will resonate with these players.

I'm having a blast, as are 3 of my co-workers.
    Same here, it has tons of old school elements and they are only adding more.

Kinda funny how these haters have to drive their hate deeper and deeper, almost as if they hate Richard Garriott personally or work for EA or something *blushes*.

I really don't care, haters gonna be haters, I love the game myself and feel that Garriott and his team have done a helluva job creating a very unique and fun experience, it's a world I can get lost in, something I can say about no other MMO out there atm.

To me this is essentially Morrowind online, like you know, the "real" Morrowind not the POS that Zenimax made.
    First off the word is critics, not haters.  Expand your vocabulary some.  Secondly, as longtime UO player. I still like the old systems and this game is a horrible implementation of such.  Oh and ESO is 100 times the game this one is.  If this is not Richard's worst game, I don't want to know what the worst is.
    It's his worst game. Even Tabula Rasa had more redeeming qualities.
    Ice-Queen

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Grimtuth said:

My experience in sota has been very good. I had not pledged until the game became persistent.

I'm not sure why anyone is expecting and judging it as though it is a finished product. It isn't, and should only be looked at as a work underway. It is wonderfully rich, and leaves one with a sense of accomplishment, quite unlike other MMOs IMO.

I am an old school gamer and appreciate how many of the systems have been developed and implemented.

It has been a very long time since I have played a game that has me captivated.

The graphics are dated. The combat action is not the best in any sense of the term. However, neither of these concerns outweigh the fact that I find it's strengths greatly overshadow look and action. Besides, I am fully aware these are likely not yet complete.

It is an old school product that has not yet been impacted by the need to make everything simple for the player base. I believe there is a market for those looking for depth over ease, and will resonate with these players.

I'm having a blast, as are 3 of my co-workers.

I don't know where you're from but they're not suppose to *release* a game if it's uncompleted. They did release the game , right? This game is still in alpha, selling this crap as released is simply a lie. I can't wait for the fall..
    Ice-Queen