Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Man's Sky drops nearly 90% of players since release on PC

Comments

• GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    edited August 2016
    who cares if the player numbers drop.

the liar developers can all drive Porsche, Mercedes or any other luxury car now, plus they upgrade their properties with the money they sucked out of the clueless customers.

They sold their numbers. 

No Mans Sky will cost $9.99 in the near future on steam.... still bringing them cash

Job done.....

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Like as usual say hype is dangerous to anyone 
    but if he job scam others he did very well like scamcitzen like or not awalys watch NMS trailers and he start laugh inside sorry its not normal or at last i clear see he start say whatever people want hear(okay is marketing after all)
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Looking forward to trying this game out when it's on sale after Christmas for like $15. 

Joined - July 2004

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Kane72 said:

You seriously know nothing about creation. If you work on a project for 5 years, believe me, you want it to be a success. The NMS team are desperate for the game to be a hit and I reckon that with patches, it will. I like it as it is but more content is sure to come.
    I know human nature and I saw enough of this guy to know he doesnt give a shit about anyone but himself. To think that his 'creative' nature some how makes him desire success that isnt defined by digits in a bank account somewhere is laughable. He sold maybe 2 million copies of this game maybe more between all platforms @ 60 bucks a pop. I have an idea that no matter what the game looked like he would consider that a success.

They will obviously make some fixes to the fundamental issues plaguing the largest portion of the playerbase, not because it makes the game better but because it looks good and makes it look like they do care and that will help generate sales later on down the line.

But if anyone thinks this game is going to metamorphosis into what he claimed as early as a month ago without a monetary figure attached to it youre dreaming. 
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Just like PGO, this title is likely to have a very short lifespan
    According to EVE Offline there are only 19.8k players in Tranquility and it's 24 peak was a meager 26k. By the same sort of staggering powers of gamer deduction used by the OPs of these threads, EVE must be headed for shutdown pretty quick. If nothing else it's an obvious failure right?
    If Eve had launched less than 30 days ago you might actually have a point there.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Talonsin said:
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    According to EVE Offline there are only 19.8k players in Tranquility and it's 24 peak was a meager 26k. By the same sort of staggering powers of gamer deduction used by the OPs of these threads, EVE must be headed for shutdown pretty quick. If nothing else it's an obvious failure right?
    If Eve had launched less than 30 days ago you might actually have a point there.
    Also those 26K probably represent less than 10K actual different individuals since most people have at least 2 accounts and more than a few have 5 or more. Thats why citing numbers for EvE has never been a good thing. But its also why they were one of the first to have a real time pop counter, because it made it look like there were a lot of people on rather than just the few thousand hardcores playing their dozen accounts simultaneously.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Lol, I love these types of stats without any sort of context. There is tons of missing contextual data.

First of all, we know that like 90% of people don't finish games on steam (there was a thread with a link somewhere around here). 

Secondly, their concurrent player total was about 25% of their total ownership numbers (peak concurrent was 200k of 777k). Telltale batman has only had about 3% of their total ownership online concurrently. Also, they have a much more aggressive drop-off curve. This is not an unusual thing for a game. Take a look at any game released around the same time, then look at the drop-off curve of users. 

Third, they are still averaging 20k concurrent users daily which puts them in the top 10 of most active games on steam. 

Forth, in the past 2 weeks, the average playtime for users has been 17 hours, which also puts them in the top 10 of most played games in the past 2 weeks. 

Just saying, don't believe everything you read. It's sad that the state of journalism has gotten to such a point that the extent of your "investigation" is just taking a screenshot of a clickbait topic and doing nothing more. Please note that all the data I collected was from the EXACT same place that the article got their data. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited August 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    Lol, I love these types of stats without any sort of context. There is tons of missing contextual data.

First of all, we know that like 90% of people don't finish games on steam (there was a thread with a link somewhere around here). 

most gamers with experience have played games that do not have defined 'ending' that can be quantifiably measured. In fact I would venture to say only people who have almost no gaming experience would think that this is a data point as you descrubed it can actually be measured in most games. I dont think any of the games I play have 'an ending' so clearly I havent 'finished' a game...ever in my 34 years of gaming

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    edited August 2016
     Full priced Indie single player game, without a cult following or a nostalgic tie to any popular franchise. Games like that don't usually last. Especially when so many people bought into the hype train, which went off the rails when an unfinished game ended up being advertised on late night talk shows.  

I wonder how many people think that whole "Center of the Galaxy" mystery was honestly worth the $60? That's the statistic I want to see.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Teala said:
    Well I'm still playing it.  :)
    Me too, but not as much...

After 148 hours, I think I'll give it a rest for a while. Don't want to burn out completely, there's bound to be some more content added in a month or two.

Besides, my "To Play" list is backing-up alarmingly, lol

There's the massive Skyrim mod (Enderal), the next Fallout DLC at the end of this week, the new Deus Ex just launched and Civilisation VI is looming on the horizon. Those alone will keep me occupied until the middle of 2017, lol
    CIV! I can't wait!
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Enjoying the Game very much, could care less if folks are leaving.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Realizer said:
     Full priced Indie single player game, without a cult following or a nostalgic tie to any popular franchise. Games like that don't usually last. Especially when so many people bought into the hype train, which went off the rails when an unfinished game ended up being advertised on late night talk shows.  

I wonder how many people think that whole "Center of the Galaxy" mystery was honestly worth the $60? That's the statistic I want to see.
    Just Me, that's all that matters.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • Kevan_fKevan_f Member UncommonPosts: 65
    well, because of its sp-only mode....i think that it doesn't matter so much for players itself. and not for devs, al they already sold it at full triple-a price.

wake me up when/if a mp mode will be introduced.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Multiple accounts, PLEX and monthly subs don't hurt for EVE either. NMS has none of that.
  • Charliff1966Charliff1966 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Still playing, still on the first planet too with a trip to the space station once. Game is fun too me and since it's single player it doesn't matter to me how many people are playing.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Elsabolts said:
    Enjoying the Game very much, could care less if folks are leaving.
    Not that you'd ever notice.
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    edited August 2016
    To put it into context, PC Gamer says:

"compared to other, better-received recent releases, NMS may not be cratering as badly as it appears. Far Cry Primal, for instance, saw its peak player count slide 82 percent over its first month of release; Fallout 4 dropped by 74 percent; Doom fell by 85 percent; Battleborn slid by 82 percent; Stellaris dropped by 82 percent; even The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which we recently placed atop our Top 100 Games list, saw its peak player count slide by 71 percent during its first month of release. The hugely popular Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain slipped by an almost identical amount. One notable exception is Stardew Valley, which saw its peak user count slip by just 30 percent over its first month."

So not so disastrous after all. I'm still enjoying it. Probably played getting on for 100 hours and I'm still in the original system on just my third planet. Still discovering new things every day.

edit link:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/concurrent-players-no-mans-sky/

ReaperUk said:

"compared to other, better-received recent releases, NMS may not be cratering as badly as it appears. Far Cry Primal, for instance, saw its peak player count slide 82 percent over its first month of release; Fallout 4 dropped by 74 percent; Doom fell by 85 percent; Battleborn slid by 82 percent; Stellaris dropped by 82 percent; even The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, which we recently placed atop our Top 100 Games list, saw its peak player count slide by 71 percent during its first month of release. The hugely popular Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain slipped by an almost identical amount. One notable exception is Stardew Valley, which saw its peak user count slip by just 30 percent over its first month."

So not so disastrous after all. I'm still enjoying it. Probably played getting on for 100 hours and I'm still in the original system on just my third planet. Still discovering new things every day.

edit link:

someone really needs to write a similar article but compared to the grow in player base for early access games which seem to not have this problem

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

most gamers with experience have played games that do not have defined 'ending' that can be quantifiably measured. In fact I would venture to say only people who have almost no gaming experience would think that this is a data point as you descrubed it can actually be measured in most games. I dont think any of the games I play have 'an ending' so clearly I havent 'finished' a game...ever in my 34 years of gaming

I actually think it's pretty well defined. When the credits run, you're done :)

Either way. another really crazy point is that the site is using data for concurrent users. Keep in mind that every single person COULD be playing every single day, just not concurrently. All this is saying is that throughout the day, it peaked out at 20k players. Honestly, there is so much wrong with this article that they should really just fire the author because it's such a big hit to their credibility. It's, honestly, laughable. I don't know how big Gamezone is, but if they have editors (which would only make this worse) they obviously have zero idea about games. I mean I'd question their knowledge about journalism, too, so what is it that they know exactly? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited August 2016
    CrazKanuk said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    CrazKanuk said:

I actually think it's pretty well defined. When the credits run, you're done :)

Either way. another really crazy point is that the site is using data for concurrent users. Keep in mind that every single person COULD be playing every single day, just not concurrently. All this is saying is that throughout the day, it peaked out at 20k players. Honestly, there is so much wrong with this article that they should really just fire the author because it's such a big hit to their credibility. It's, honestly, laughable. I don't know how big Gamezone is, but if they have editors (which would only make this worse) they obviously have zero idea about games. I mean I'd question their knowledge about journalism, too, so what is it that they know exactly? 
    again...I say to be clear

in my 34 years of gaming I have seen 'credits run' in a game ONCE.

most of the games I play do not have a place in the game anywhere in which 'credits run'. Most gamers with experience understand that there are a lot of games that do not have an 'ending'. Its a silly datapoint that only inexperienced gamers would think is useful in the context you are using is

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    ReaperUk said:

edit link:

One month =/= 10 days.

90% in 10 days in unprecedented. It clearly shows something.

For the ones willing to see that is..
  • BigRamboBigRambo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    lol, that moment when Skyrim has more people playing it on peak hours than NMS... :D    People saying that they're enjoying it, is the reason why the gaming industry is going no where anytime soon. Who the hell in their right minds will support a full price release that had promises over promises being removed on launch and will most likely need to pay for DLC's in order to complete the game?   Honestly, those people deserve to be banned from these forums.   How can anyone enjoy a buggy as hell game with 95% of the promised features removed? And again, all this at FULL PRICE.  It's like most of you enjoy getting screwed hard up the rear on a weekly basis with these botched up releases.  Anyway I know I got screwed with all the empty promises of NMS, first time since the early 2000's, and that woke the living hell out of me.  Honestly, Minecraft is a whole lot better than NMS, Empyrion is WAY better than NMS,  hell even Stardew Valley is way more fun than NMS. The 3 games I just mentioned cost the same combined than NMS that is still in Alpha at best, lol.   NMS released a year or 2 too early, and because of their stupidity, Hello Games lost all credibility and the Steam reviews speaks for itself. Will NMS bounce back from this catastrophe? Who knows, and I don't care, will check back on it mid/end 2017 since at this moment I am enjoying Empyrion a whole lot more now because of the botched up NMS. 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Goromhir said:

the liar developers can all drive Porsche, Mercedes or any other luxury car now, plus they upgrade their properties with the money they sucked out of the clueless customers.

They sold their numbers. 

No Mans Sky will cost $9.99 in the near future on steam.... still bringing them cash

Job done.....

I think some players really get off on this negative news.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    ReaperUk said:
    edit link:
    How big is NMS universe compared to Dooms playable areas? Or Fallout 4, Far Cry Primal or the Witcher 3's environments?

NMS universe is supposed to put those worlds to shame when it comes to size. Yet, the player numbers are falling more rapidly in games with 'less' explorable content.

NMS is getting what it deserves, a shallow, bang average exploration game.

waynejr2 said:
    Goromhir said:

They sold their numbers. 

Job done.....

I think some players really get off on this negative news.
    what people dont understand is a lot of these 'marketing projects' make all the money they plan to within the first day. They know the player count will drop off dramatically, they know the price will drop but that is not the target, the target is pre-orders and 1st week hype