Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Hello Games guilty of Illegal False Marketing?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    The issue is many of the supposed features not in the game according to some people are actually in the game and have been proven. By many many people.  There are things not there sure but not as many as many would have you believe. Many are just parroting what others have said and have zero experience with the actual game.
    I knew exactly what game I was getting when I bought it. To be honest there is more than I thought there would in the game.
    Sony's marketing machine ran a little nuts with this game sure but there was a lot of things that people just assumed would be there but was never said that they would be.

I get it you enjoy the game. It's a fun game in its own right but honestly you cannot be beginning to defend this sort of behavior. I mean... Come on! 

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I have to say this game looks pretty fun.  About 55% of the players like it.  Does the pc versoin have gamepad support and is this game GPU demanding?
    Are you onto something or just on something?

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Jeebus

/walks away from another butthurt thread

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Kane72 said:
    psiic said:
    Ive been playing NMS for around 20 hours total and I still haven't even left the first planet and I have seen animals roaming around, some of which even attacked me. Numerous little bases and campsites, several aliens, one of which replaced my tool with an upgrade for free and 2 others that i could get a new ship from. Also a monolith with options and a ruin that I am heading for.

Bottom-line is I am enjoying the game, very stress free for the most part, i just run around exploring, harvesting, trading, finding new locations and completing milestones. I really think the gamer community needs to collectively pull their heads out and quit whining over stupid stuff. The game is massive in scale, and just because you haven't see something, doesn't mean it is not actually there.
    read some of my posts on here I have been avidly defending NMS up to around 200 + hours in game and now I have come to realize they the whiners and complainers are right, the content is not in the game. This is not a matter of it just not working because of server loads are what not, this is intentionally not in game for whatever reason. Sean has flat out lied and needs to be held criminally and financially responsible. 
    So you paid $60 for 200 hours of entertainment. So, having paid .30 per hour for your entertainment, tell me, where can you get better value?
    So by that logic if a car dealer sells me a ferrari, but then delivers a volkswagon its perfectly acceptable because both cars get me down the road?
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    edited August 2016
    psiic said:
    Kane72 said:
    psiic said:
    Ive been playing NMS for around 20 hours total and I still haven't even left the first planet and I have seen animals roaming around, some of which even attacked me. Numerous little bases and campsites, several aliens, one of which replaced my tool with an upgrade for free and 2 others that i could get a new ship from. Also a monolith with options and a ruin that I am heading for.

Bottom-line is I am enjoying the game, very stress free for the most part, i just run around exploring, harvesting, trading, finding new locations and completing milestones. I really think the gamer community needs to collectively pull their heads out and quit whining over stupid stuff. The game is massive in scale, and just because you haven't see something, doesn't mean it is not actually there.
    read some of my posts on here I have been avidly defending NMS up to around 200 + hours in game and now I have come to realize they the whiners and complainers are right, the content is not in the game. This is not a matter of it just not working because of server loads are what not, this is intentionally not in game for whatever reason. Sean has flat out lied and needs to be held criminally and financially responsible. 
    So you paid $60 for 200 hours of entertainment. So, having paid .30 per hour for your entertainment, tell me, where can you get better value?
    So by that logic if a car dealer sells me a ferrari, but then delivers a volkswagon its perfectly acceptable because both cars get me down the road?

Those scenarios aren't even close to comparable. In one you're purchasing a tangible product; in the other you're spending money for a subjective entertainment experience. Gamers need to stop being so damn impressionable and dreaming about some perfect game utopia every time a developer talks publicly about their game that is still a long way from being finished. In the end, Murray will be lambasted the same way Peter Molyneux was, and a lot of passionate indie devs with big ideas will just keep their mouths shut from now on and their games will get no media coverage and therefore a fraction of the players. If you played for 200+ hours and weren't enjoying yourself along the way, there's something wrong with you. If you enjoyed yourself for 200+ hours and think the person primarily responsible for that experience should be criminally prosecuted and financially ruined, there's something REALLY wrong with you.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    bonzoso21 said:
    psiic said:
    Kane72 said:
    psiic said:

Those scenarios aren't even close to comparable. In one you're purchasing a tangible product; in the other you're spending money for a subjective entertainment experience. Gamers need to stop being so damn impressionable and dreaming about some perfect game utopia every time a developer talks publicly about their game that is still a long way from being finished. In the end, Murray will be lambasted the same way Peter Molyneux was, and a lot of passionate indie devs with big ideas will just keep their mouths shut from now on and their games will get no media coverage and therefore a fraction of the players. If you played for 200+ hours and weren't enjoying yourself along the way, there's something wrong with you. If you enjoyed yourself for 200+ hours and think the person primarily responsible for that experience should be criminally prosecuted and financially ruined, there's something REALLY wrong with you.
    It is EXACTLY the same its a commercial product and by consumer protection laws it is illegal to claim that it does something that it does not do. I sell tilapia, if I claimed they were perch, I would be committing a crime that could put me in jail. In fact we recently had someone selling redfish claiming it was grouper he commited a $25k fraud and he got 12 years. Hello Games committed multi millioin dollar fraud.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    edited August 2016
    psiic said:
    bonzoso21 said:
    psiic said:
    Kane72 said:
    psiic said:

It is EXACTLY the same its a commercial product and by consumer protection laws it is illegal to claim that it does something that it does not do. I sell tilapia, if I claimed they were perch, I would be committing a crime that could put me in jail. In fact we recently had someone selling redfish claiming it was grouper he commited a $25k fraud and he got 12 years. Hello Games committed multi millioin dollar fraud.
    Your fish is not just a tangible product, it's a food consumed by humans and is obviously going to be subject to even more oversight than normal products because it can make people sick or trigger allergic reactions when sold as something it isn't. A videogame that turns out not to be what you envisioned or even what the developer marketed it as is no different than a movie that was poorly represented by the trailer...you may WANT to hold a movie studio responsible when all the funny parts were in the trailer and the full movie turned out to suck, but good look getting that to trial. Even in that long video griping about all Murray's lies, the commentator points out that Murray never explicitly promised anything. Even the multiplayer claim was backpedaled on before release and the retail boxes said single-player only. So he talked a lot about what he may have wanted in the game or what may have even been in their development builds at some point but didn't make it into the final version. Gripe if you must. Avoid their next game if you must. But to fervently call for criminal charges (or even just a refund, considering you played for over 200 hours!) is just crazy. I've been a gamer my whole life, but damn, gamers are nuts.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    They are definitely guilty of false advertising and I'd LOVE to see say the EU levy a huge fine on them to use as a warning to future devs.

The biggest issue is that if you buy it on steam you only have two hours to try it.  But that's not nearly enough to realize that many things that were advertised aren't actually true.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Kane72 said:
    psiic said:

If he got a game that they promised it could potentially be thousands of hours of gameplay.

Every white knight uses this 'you got xxx amount of hours for xxx amount of dollars' statement then uses their voodoo napkin math to make it sound like they got a good deal.

These are the stupidest of stupid comments because n matter how many hours someone gets or claims to get if the game doesnt deliver what they say then its has no value. If they spent all those hours looking for something that was supposed to exist (that may or may not even be in the game) but they cant find it do those hours count as 'entertainment'?

Most games I buy I get over a thousand hours out of, and I havent bought a 60 dollar game yet. Usually because I guess right on the early access ones and wait to buy the ones that look OK after they drop in price. Only game that has been a bad choice so far is Naval Action. It is a game you can easily get hundreds of hours out of but thats the problem sailing around the ocean for 45 minutes to so something that takes 10 isnt my idea of entertainment. But that is a personal preference not an indictment of the game.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited August 2016
    never mind lol
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Yes on multiple accounts. Everyone should be entitled to a refund.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Spiider said:
    Yes on multiple accounts. Everyone should be entitled to a refund.
    Easier said than done.

Human beings have a tendency to take advantage of situations. The justifications used can get quite inventive...

If unconditional refunds were a thing, half the gaming population would request a refund on every game they've done playing, regardless of whether they enjoyed it or not.

There's a growing tendency to do that anyway by abusing the chargeback option on credit cards.

Who would resist the opportunity for "free gaming" ?
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    All he has to do is create a lobby game addon with fps combat and call it Super Marine.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited August 2016

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited August 2016
    No Man's Sky is just a fully priced Early Access game without the tag. Interesting concept, but severe lack of features and mostly carried by hype to release. Maybe they can turn it around by adding more features like the upcoming base building and turn it potentionally into something awesome further down the road.

Anyway, I didn't see falsely advertising ( if this would be seen as such, the list of falsely advertised games would be come very very long ), only just some foolish comments from the dev. In Steam it was never advertised as multiplayer game, so apart from that single interview, people are just blowing this out of proportion imo.

Anyone who bought this on Steam for multiplayer reasons must be very blind. I keep surprising myself how many people buy into stupid hype.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I have this feeling they listened and allowed themselves to be manipulated by Sony, who is always after the fast buck.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    SEANMCAD said:
    for about a year I kept telling people 'these NMS videos and interviews are not telling us what the game features are'

I think this whole 'they lied' is getting out of hand because on inspection they basically didnt comit to anything that ever made sense as a solid feature in the first place
    I wholeheartedly agree but good luck getting people to take any personal responsibility for their own impulses. What I saw of the game looked like another Spore, big ideas, small game, so I chose to avoid it. Which looks like the smart choice.
    Sure, people need to take responsibility for their own hype-mongering, but there's another side to that as well.

Many of those wild fantasies were based on glimpses of things seen in demo's or heard in interviews.

Any developer that puts out tantalizing tidbits is playing with fire. You can stoke the flames, but you also have to rein-in the fans when things get too wild. And not in some ambivalent way that leaves the door open to a wide range of interpretations.

For instance, most of the buildings on planet surfaces that were shown in demo's have not been seen in the actual game at all. So, while attaching "special meaning" to those structures would have been a flight of fantasy, not having the structures in game at all is a bit of a glaring omission...
    No, no, no.  If a developer never says whether some feature is in a game or not, and rabid fans expect it to be on the basis that they're rabid fans, and then it ends up not being in the game, that's not the fault of the developer.  Developers can't be expected to implement everything that anyone else claims will be in the game.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    psiic said:

If you've already played a game for 200 hours only 18 days after it launched, then I think you have bigger issues to worry about than what content is in the game.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Quizzical said:
    psiic said:
    If you've already played a game for 200 hours only 18 days after it launched, then I think you have bigger issues to worry about than what content is in the game.
    Yeah that's 11+ hours a day of playing, every single day since release...
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I click on the video. A voice talking. No evidence of the false advertising. When you make an accusation, especially one in video format you make your case by showing your evidence. I don't want to hear what a dummy and other dummies feel they were mislead on because you were impuslive lemmings who acted like childish Justin Beiber fans for a lead developer. Getting talked out of your panties isn't false advertising.

The only thing I feel is up for any debate is the network players sticker at the back of the box. If you want to make a case of false advertising start documenting actual hard evidence of it besides getting sweet talked by some interviews. I looked over the top end of the site and the box art and that's all that stood out. 

Take your walk of shame with some dignity you video game sluts. 

What's next looking for legal recourse for shitty movies with exciting trailers? Cut it out.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯