Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HoloLens secrets revealed: Microsoft details its 24-core 'holographic processor'

blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,330
edited August 2016 in Hardware
The HoloLens’ HPU is a custom 28nm coprocessor designed by TSMC

The chip packs 24 Tensilica digital signal processor (DSP) cores. As opposed to more general-purpose CPU cores, DSPs are a specialized technology designed for rapidly processing data flowing in from the world—a no doubt invaluable asset while rendering augmented reality environments in real time. Microsoft’s HPU also contains roughly 65 million logic gates, 8MB of SDRAM, and 1GB of traditional DDR3 RAM. It draws less than 10W of power, and features PCIe and standard serial interfaces.

The HPU's dedicated hardware is up to 200 times faster than performing the same calculations via software on the less-specialized 14nm Intel Cherry Trail CPU. The HPU can perform roughly 1 trillion calculations per second, and the data it passes to the CPU requires little additional processing.

Read more and see a video demo here:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3110976/virtual-reality/hololens-secrets-revealed-microsoft-details-its-24-core-holographic-processor.html

Presentation slides here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/22/microsoft_hololens_hpu/

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Is Microsoft designing their own silicon these days ? 0.o

Certainly sounds like they've got a solid headstart in AR tech here. I wonder if Hololens will turn out to be one of MS's major moneyspinners in the future ?
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,330

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,330

Certainly sounds like they've got a solid headstart in AR tech here. I wonder if Hololens will turn out to be one of MS's major moneyspinners in the future ?
    Yeah I am really curious about this tech.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    This is where the future of AR & VR is!  Not in pokemon.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    This is something interesting.

Imagine of MS does a deal with Pokemon Go on Hololens? Or even similar games?

CASH! :proud:
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,078
    Wait, what?  Designed by TSMC, not merely fabricated by TSMC?  Since when did TSMC design processors?
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,244
    Since Microsoft built a machine to talk to god in order to make a device that defies the laws of physics.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Hololens itself? Probably not, no. Later tech derived from it has a good chance though.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,244
    Microsoft makes a lot of money from patents. Every cellphone sold sends their cut to Microsoft. Their OS business and office business is not doing as well because people are getting used to free options. So I expect Microsoft to gladly let others use the technology in HoloLens on their own hardware. Then make royalties.