Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interview With Todd Pappy (Design Director)

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Gdemami said:

It is all backwards of software development.
    Yup, just like in RL, lol

All the "experts" are on the game forums, and all the "idiots" are working for game development companies ! :D
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Erillion said:
    Some teams have changed the entire GRAFIC ENGINE three times during the development of certain games. Smaller changes as described in this thread are not unusual in the gaming industry.
    So your argument is that there are also other "bad developers" out there...?

What we are talking about here is nothing like "small changes", it is entire structure, the physics behind the game. It is a corner stone how your game will work. Very different things.

Regardless, graphics is likely the easiest part to replace and/or update as we can see with any successful, long term running MMOs.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766

All the "experts" are on the game forums, and all the "idiots" are working for game development companies ! :D

Yeah CIG sould just fire those incompetent people that don't know how to develop a game and hire all the experts here on the forum. ;)

Well, you are the one proposing development clusterfuck and calling it "just like RL"...
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
    Yep.
    In E:D there is not even that fluff. When you travel within the system and you are not exploring then there is essentially NOTHING to do for many minutes.
    Some people even LIKE being interdicted by a pirate ;-) as it adds some excitement to long travel times.

Have fun

Yeah no shit sherlock, you're meant to be a bloody pilot flying your ship, not putting it on auto-pilot so you can make use of the ship's toilet or go and make a margherita and hop in the bloody jacuzzi.

• OriphusOriphus Member UncommonPosts: 467
    edited August 2016
    Gdemami said:
    Erillion said:
    Another one that has not watched the video.
    On the contrary.

"We need to figure out...", that is all you can hear. They essentially got an engine somewhat to work but they have no idea what to do with it in the first place.

It is all backwards of software development.
    you are refering to when they are talking about jump point travel which will be like -

all he has said is that they will work on a modular system that can make it different and challenging (to navigate due to x reasons) everytime. 
    :)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
    Oriphus said:
    you are refering to when they are talking about jump point travel which will be like
    all he has said is that they will work on a modular system so it is different and challenging everytime. 
    That was precisely what my point was about!

Have you ever played X: Rebirth? That should give you a picture.

"different and challenging everytime" - oh dear, you cannot be serious...
    edited August 2016
    Literately the SC Devs can't say a single world that it will be used on threads like this to attack them. The effort being put against them is restless, people will understand anything the way they want and that's it. 

Why not post the interview with Brian Chambers that was also interesting? Because that was not the point was it? The point is using something to attack CIG and its developers....

--'
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Erillion said:
    Yep.
    In E:D there is not even that fluff. When you travel within the system and you are not exploring then there is essentially NOTHING to do for many minutes.
    Some people even LIKE being interdicted by a pirate ;-) as it adds some excitement to long travel times.

Have fun

Yeah no shit sherlock, you're meant to be a bloody pilot flying your ship, not putting it on auto-pilot so you can make use of the ship's toilet or go and make a margherita and hop in the bloody jacuzzi.

Hey, people want to USE their Constellation Phoenix jacuzzi once in a while during QT. With drinking  the margherita they got from the bar in their Phoenix. Or grab a Vodka from their liquor cabinet ("Don't drink and fly!") ;-)

Have fun
    Gdemami said:
    Oriphus said:
    you are refering to when they are talking about jump point travel which will be like
    all he has said is that they will work on a modular system so it is different and challenging everytime. 
    That was precisely what my point was about!

Have you ever played X: Rebirth? That should give you a picture.

"different and challenging everytime" - oh dear, you cannot be serious...
    yeah, you are going to have to go slower, talk to me like I am 5.

They already have the concept, it is all just fluff to show you jumping through a worm hole. What is core about that?

yes I am serious, they want it difficult for the explorers who have to navigate new jump points, however charted ones will probably be made a lot easier. where are we going with this >.>

I played X2 about a decade or more ago if that helps with your other question :)
    "Trump is a blunt force, all-American, laser-guided middle finger to everything and everyone in Washington, D.C." - Wayne Allyn Root 
    edited August 2016
    MaxBacon said:
    Literately the SC Devs can't say a single world that it will be used on threads like this to attack them. The effort being put against them is restless, people will understand anything the way they want and that's it.
    Why not post the interview with Brian Chambers that was also interesting? Because that was not the point was it? The point is using anything to attack CIG and its developers....

Creating threads like this with ill intentions from the start, classic.

Hey, I take exception at that. I had not seen the Chambers video or else I would have linked the pair of them.
    I created this thread because I find the development side far more interesting than looking at pics of the latest concept ship, I simply made an observation about something that surprised me.

This is not about "attacking" devs, that's laying it on way too thick.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    rpmcmurphy said: 

It fits their narrative though. Anyone posting something that isn't positive must be attacked and labelled a hater or someone who is just obsessed with attacking the devs. 
    Kefo said:
    rpmcmurphy said: 

It fits their narrative though. Anyone posting something that isn't positive must be attacked and labelled a hater or someone who is just obsessed with attacking the devs. 
    no it's not 'anyone'. It is when the same people post as much negative crap as they can find without ever posting positive things, then they tend to be "labelled a hater or someone who is just obsessed with attacking the devs. "
    edited August 2016
    rpmcmurphy said:
     I simply made an observation about something that surprised me.
    I don't know what is there to be surprised about.

They've had the original design, the plan and the idea of what they wanted to do. But that is just the first steps of a road that includes R&D, Prototyping and the final implementation, on witch a lot of designing will still happen as everything gets fleshed out. As R&D and prototyping continues to set upon the base of it.

When silly comments are made implying they have no idea of what they are doing... The reality is that they know what they want, but they have to figure out what they can do and what will work out, shown by the R&D and Prototyping that is happening on several fronts.

MaxBacon said:
    rpmcmurphy said:
     I simply made an observation about something that surprised me.

They've had the original design, the plan and the idea of what they wanted to do. But that is just the first steps of a road that includes R&D, Prototyping and the final implementation, on witch a lot of designing will still happen as everything gets fleshed out. As R&D and prototyping continues to set upon the base of it.

When silly comments are made implying they have no idea of what they are doing... The reality is that they know what they want, but they have to figure out what they can do, shown by the R&D and Prototyping that is happening on several fronts.

Well I stated in the opening post what I was surprised about so that should be quite clear.

That you disagree with my sentiments is fine but to start throwing around accusations of trolling or silly comments just shows a complete lack of respect.

Go and take a walk or something.
    Oriphus said:
    no it's not 'anyone'. It is when the same people post as much negative crap as they can find without ever posting positive things, then they tend to be "labelled a hater or someone who is just obsessed with attacking the devs. "

Oh get off the high horse. Have you any idea how few people actually join a non-drama discussions on here. I've tried numerous times just to have drama free discussions and it might get one or two comments from the pro-contingency... It seems there is a love of drama on both sides of the fence.
    And I don't post "as much negative crap as I can", I try to correct some misinformation, give my opinion on a board about posting your opinions and simply try add a bit of objectivity to this inane circlejerk.

Let me ask you this, what benefit is it to you if you're only hearing opinions that confirm your view?

edited August 2016
    rpmcmurphy said:
    Well I stated in the opening post what I was surprised about so that should be quite clear.

That you disagree with my sentiments is fine but to start throwing around accusations of trolling or silly comments just shows a complete lack of respect.

Go and take a walk or something.
    I didn't accuse of trolling, i made my post about the intentions of the creation of the thread to be like most of them around are: about negativity towards CIG, its developers and SC. Then, you did your reply. 

So put it this way: My sentiment is that the comments made on this thread that imply that are silly. Happy now?
    edited August 2016
    MaxBacon said:
    It is surprising since as you say "to figure out what they can do and what will work out" is not a common step in development AFTER you just finished working on your technology.

That is actually silly and indeed implies that you have no idea what you are doing.

You start with working on your tools but you need to know what you want to build in the first place. Not the other way round - build tools and then scratching your head what you are going to do with them...
    edited August 2016
    Gdemami said:
    It is surprising since as you say "to figure out what they can do and what will work out" is not common to step in development AFTER you just finished working on your technology.

That is actually silly and indeed implied that you have no idea what you are doing.

First you work on your tools but you need to know what you want to build first. Not the other way round - build tools and then scratching your head what you are going to do with them...

What?! They still are R&D and Prototyping several parts and features of the game, the base tech is there  yet doesn't change that the design will continuously change due that.

So they are R&D on Netcode and are refactoring the engine, and they still don't know exactly what they will be able to achieve at the end. They could say "oh we're having 200 people per instance" but they don't know yet...

So the fact they don't know yet how much players they can handle and how big the instances will get and how exactly they will work makes them incompetent?!

Doing Design (The Idea and Design of what you want to do), R&D, Refactoring Code/Prototyping and figuring out what they can do first, is what one incompetent developer would do?
    edited August 2016
    Oh get off the high horse. Have you any idea how few people actually join a non-drama discussions on here. I've tried numerous times just to have drama free discussions and it might get one or two comments from the pro-contingency... It seems there is a love of drama on both sides of the fence.
    And I don't post "as much negative crap as I can", I try to correct some misinformation, give my opinion on a board about posting your opinions and simply try add a bit of objectivity to this inane circlejerk.

Let me ask you this, what benefit is it to you if you're only hearing opinions that confirm your view?

"Oh get off the high horse." Erm, I don't know, I kind of like the view :)

You are being very defensive! I feel I posted a correct reply to his post.

"Let me ask you this, what benefit is it to you if you're only hearing opinions that confirm your view?" This would make me very happy, very comfortable and feel ever more confident in my beliefs. I would sleep much better at night, it would feel as if the world was at one with itself.
    MaxBacon said:
    I didn't accuse of trolling, i made my post about the intentions of the creation of the thread to be like most of them around are: about negativity towards CIG, its developers and SC. Then, you did your reply. 

So put it this way: My sentiment is that the comments made on this thread that imply that are silly. Happy now?

Right, making assumptions about my intentions and including little snipes like  "Creating threads like this with ill intentions from the start, classic."

Backpedal all you want but the comments speak for themselves.
    Oriphus said:

"Let me ask you this, what benefit is it to you if you're only hearing opinions that confirm your view?" This would make me very happy, very comfortable and feel ever more confident in my beliefs. I would sleep much better at night, it would feel as if the world was at one with itself.

Yeah, a person gets accused of stuff, they defend themselves, Who would've thought that could happen?

I know you think you're being funny but that's just called ego, "my opinion is right and the world will be right when it agrees with my opinion."

MaxBacon said:
    What?! They still are R&D and Prototyping several parts and features of the game, the base tech is there  yet doesn't change that the design will continuously change due that.
    Um...I am not sure how more clearly to put.

You still somehow insist that you just take a bag of random tools and then start probing what you can do with it... That is not how it works, that is plain STUPID.

You do not build an engine with entire infrastructure and then think:

Well, now I want these huge space battles with 200x200 players.
    Boss, your engine supports 5x5 only.

Compare the video with Chamber to one with Pappy. Chambers perfectly knows what he is working on, what his work is about. He is specific, he is clear, he is confident.
    Oriphus said:

Yeah, a person gets accused of stuff, they defend themselves, Who would've thought that could happen?

I know you think you're being funny but that's just called ego, "my opinion is right and the world will be right when it agrees with my opinion."

I am just trying to answer the question as truthfully as I can, I had a quick think about it and I am pretty sure it would all feel very reassuring!
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Oriphus said:
    Kefo said:
    rpmcmurphy said: 

I see plently of people here post actual concerns they have for the project and where they see errors. I then see them get jumped for their opinions because it doesn't paint SC as rainbows and sunshine. Even correcting misinformation can get you attacked here if it makes SC look negative