Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO reveals that cosmetic item "gambling boxes" are coming soon.

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,773
Over at Gamescon Matt Firor announced that starting as soon as next month, RNG boxes (a.k.a. gambling boxes) will be available in the Crown Store (cash shop.) The boxes will have a chance to give you a mount and other items. Some of the mounts (which are all just cosmetic skins, BTW... all of them have capabilities in accordance with the player's riding skills and are no different than any other except for looks, sounds and some GFX) will be those that were previously available for a limited time and some will only be available this way.

This seems innocuous enough being as it is only cosmetic items but it has nevertheless caused some heated debate over at the ESO forums, on reddit and elsewhere. Some people are against these on general principle while some don't see a problem and others worry that this will lead to less fluffy items making their way into those boxes down the line. What do you think?

This is a fan's video of the reveal:




"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

«13456711

Comments

  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,242
    Swtor all over again.... $ and RNG dont mix well :tongue:
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Why am I not surprised by this?  

    "We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,352
    Just like SWTOR it's for cosmetics items only. It seems to have worked very well for SWTOR. The game is doing very well from those Superdata accounts.

  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Just as ESO was starting to look good they go and do this !!1! Gambling should never be encouraged in any way or form.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,747
    edited August 2016
    Many gamers lack self control and these companies are doing all they can to cash in on it.  I refuse to play any game that implements gambling for real money.  Cash shops are bad enough, cash shops based on a roulette wheel are disgusting.


    Soon, like it has happened in many games before it, all of the "attractive" items will be cash shop only and regular game assets will suddenly become ugly as sin.

    image
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    And so it begins O.o
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,352
    Where is the trashy Asian game comment ...... oh yeah nvm

  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    they all always start out "innocent"
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,773
    PsYcHoGBR said:
    Just as ESO was starting to look good they go and do this !!1! Gambling should never be encouraged in any way or form.
    I tend to agree. IDK maybe I'm just old and have old-fashioned ideas about this sort of thing.

    I mean... I KNOW that not everyone who gambles has gambling addiction issues but gambling is regulated in most places and available only to adults for good reason: kids are not exactly famous for showing restraint when they really, really want something.

    It's also something that I , rightly or wrongly, associate with the bottom of the barrel amoral game publishers who don't really care how they get their money as long as they get it.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

    ― Umberto Eco

    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,809
    Thanks for posting that.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,352
    This industry is not a charity. People however want free games . They expect to play a full game with no cost except their electricity and the internet.

    Companies need to make money and if gamers are not going to support the games they play you will eventually see these types of slippery slope stuff in every game. 

  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    kitarad said:
    This industry is not a charity. People however want free games . They expect to play a full game with no cost except their electricity and the internet.

    Companies need to make money and if gamers are not going to support the games they play you will eventually see these types of slippery slope stuff in every game. 
    I can see that from f2p, but not even b2p man. They have dlc every quarter, yet they NEED more money right?
  • MareliusMarelius Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Unless they change how they are developing this game it isn't going to last much longer. I won't give them another penny unless they start caring about the players and fix all the major problems. 
    Sometimes it's not always about what you can see or hear but what's under the hood of a game that's most impressive. Between those thousands and thousands of lines of code, magic happens. Sometimes the most amazing feats of gaming wizardry happen without you even noticing.

    Rob Manuel

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,809
    kitarad said:
    This industry is not a charity. People however want free games . They expect to play a full game with no cost except their electricity and the internet.

    Companies need to make money and if gamers are not going to support the games they play you will eventually see these types of slippery slope stuff in every game. 
    I agree.

    I bet the alternative would be "higher amount sub" in order to make their money but many players wouldn't do that (some would, like me) therefore they rely upon the money "trickling" in, in a variety of ways.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,773
    Sovrath said:
    kitarad said:
    This industry is not a charity. People however want free games . They expect to play a full game with no cost except their electricity and the internet.

    Companies need to make money and if gamers are not going to support the games they play you will eventually see these types of slippery slope stuff in every game. 
    I agree.

    I bet the alternative would be "higher amount sub" in order to make their money but many players wouldn't do that (some would, like me) therefore they rely upon the money "trickling" in, in a variety of ways.
    Thing is that Zenimax is a private company that doesn't report publicly so all we can really do is speculate about how much money is coming in. And then there is the old "profitable" vs. "more profitable" and "even more profitable" thing and we have no clue other than wild uneducated guesses about where they are in that continuum. 

    The megaserver also doesn't help us guess since it only takes a few players per zone to make it seem busy.

    So are they doing this because they need to do it or just because they want even more profits?


    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

    ― Umberto Eco

    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 30,809
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    kitarad said:
    This industry is not a charity. People however want free games . They expect to play a full game with no cost except their electricity and the internet.

    Companies need to make money and if gamers are not going to support the games they play you will eventually see these types of slippery slope stuff in every game. 
    I agree.

    I bet the alternative would be "higher amount sub" in order to make their money but many players wouldn't do that (some would, like me) therefore they rely upon the money "trickling" in, in a variety of ways.
    Thing is that Zenimax is a private company that doesn't report publicly so all we can really do is speculate about how much money is coming in. And then there is the old "profitable" vs. "more profitable" and "even more profitable" thing and we have no clue other than wild uneducated guesses about where they are in that continuum. 

    The megaserver also doesn't help us guess since it only takes a few players per zone to make it seem busy.

    So are they doing this because they need to do it or just because they want even more profits?


    Aren't they a private company with investors? And as an investor don't you want more profit from your investments?

    That's who they are making money for.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

    Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w


    Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

    Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

    Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Always amazing to watch people rage against things they have no intention to buy or in any way participate in...
  • Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158
    As seen with SWTOR, it's only a matter of time before anything remotely cool is located within a Crown Crate. I'm betting unique motifs will be added into these at some point. It's the lowest of lows in my opinion.

    I saw warning signs when a mount was more expensive than a content DLC.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 41,226
    Get used to it.

    Maximizing revenue and profits is the goal of every business, and MMOS are most definitely a business first and foremost.

    Take a hard look at how BDO is doing it, expect many if not all games to employ several (not necessarily all) of the monetization strategies that title does.

    "True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 17,773
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    kitarad said:
    This industry is not a charity. People however want free games . They expect to play a full game with no cost except their electricity and the internet.

    Companies need to make money and if gamers are not going to support the games they play you will eventually see these types of slippery slope stuff in every game. 
    I agree.

    I bet the alternative would be "higher amount sub" in order to make their money but many players wouldn't do that (some would, like me) therefore they rely upon the money "trickling" in, in a variety of ways.
    Thing is that Zenimax is a private company that doesn't report publicly so all we can really do is speculate about how much money is coming in. And then there is the old "profitable" vs. "more profitable" and "even more profitable" thing and we have no clue other than wild uneducated guesses about where they are in that continuum. 

    The megaserver also doesn't help us guess since it only takes a few players per zone to make it seem busy.

    So are they doing this because they need to do it or just because they want even more profits?


    Aren't they a private company with investors? And as an investor don't you want more profit from your investments?

    That's who they are making money for.
    Well unlike some other people (including some of my friends and neighbors lol) I think there should be upper limits to that "greed is good" kind of thinking. Responsibility to investors has become a tired old excuse that people buy into way too easily to justify all kinds of amoral behavior.

    I for one would be a bit more understanding and forgiving about a company doing something they'd rather not do if it's a matter of keeping their heads above water vs. just an exercise in maximizing returns.

    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

    ― Umberto Eco

    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Gdemami said:
    Always amazing to watch people rage against things they have no intention to buy or in any way participate in...
    And its also just as amazing to watch people discount features out of hand that will have negative impact on other parts of the game that those people do enjoy and support.
    yep...those cosmetics in the boxes would have been buyable outright or even in the game...now, have fun gambling for them
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,352
    edited August 2016
    Gambling is immoral? Really is that a religious aspect ? 

    When I was little in 60's there used to be a small grocery store that had papers hidden (stapled on) with a number and I paid like 5 cents to play and I might get a nice doll.  No one ever said it was immoral. 

    Gambling is fun until like everything else you take it too far. Every Chinese New Year when I go to the houses of my Chinese friends we would play Mahjong for real money. It was fun and it helped me get closer to the older Chinese relatives of my friend. In fact her grandmother was the one who taught me to play Mahjong. In case you're wondering how the gambling comes in, there is a betting aspect to Mahjong.

    I really do not see anything inherently wrong about gambling only if you keep playing and lose everything. Like everything else in life use your head, discretion and moderation.

    As for the DLC may be the amount they are selling on the DLC is not enough profits. Why should a company make the amount of money you think is proper? Subscription fees have not gone up since the early 2000 if I am not mistaken. I think it is possible $15 is no longer even enough for a sub any longer.

  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Shouldn't we just trust Zenimax?  I mean they are professionals and do this for a living so they must know best.  Besides, Zenimax has proven trustworthy in every thing else they have done.

    Sz  :)
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    MisterZebub said:
    And its also just as amazing to watch people discount features out of hand that will have negative impact on other parts of the game that those people do enjoy and support.
    Yup, because only you know what is the best for the game and all the players.

    And people think I am the arrogant one lol
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,528
    Oh boy more cash shop cancer.

    Pay to look cool. Instead of playing the game to get cool rewards, just buy RNG lockboxes. Yeah up yours.

    "You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

    "classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

    Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

    Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Sign In or Register to comment.