Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Mans Sky~~~~!!!!

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
OK, so how actually good is this title?   Every single friend I have minus the two lagging behind with me have bought this title.   Is it really that good?  I would say more than 4/5th's of all my friends are playing this and completely obsessed with it.  Reminds me of WOW Vanilla.

Anyone here playing it?  If so, what is your review of it?

Comments

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited August 2016
    Don't know about it being comparable to WoW vanilla. Its not multiplayer for one, so thats a lot of longevity removed right there. Its also catering to a very specific type of player: the explorer. Those who don't get excited about uncovering different animals, flora and fauna or swimming thru underwater coves or ruins will probably get bored of NMS before long.

The last person it may appeal to is the completionist. Not necessarily because they're having a great time, but because their OCD will compel them to learn all the languages and fully upgrade everything until they finally reach the center of the universe.
    Post edited by Dullahan on

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    edited August 2016
    It appears to be possible to meet other players, but unlikely due to the size of the universe.

I've played the game for about an hour and so far it's all be gathering items, crafting things to repair my space ship, and replenishing the power of my suit and mining laser tool.  I'm not certain how long this will keep me entertained, but It's fairly fun at the beginning.  I don't see how it will keep me going long without a story though.  On the plus side the world I started on looks pretty good considering how it was created.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/no-mans-sky-ps4-multiplayer-latest-easter-eggs-sean-murray-hello-games-sony-a7186906.html

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    wow it already has 22k reviews on steam.  56% positive
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    xpowderx said:
    OK, so how actually good is this title?   Every single friend I have minus the two lagging behind with me have bought this title.   Is it really that good?  I would say more than 4/5th's of all my friends are playing this and completely obsessed with it.  Reminds me of WOW Vanilla.

It's decent for an indie game.
    Gets boring after a while once you figured out how things work. But if you like exploration then you'll enjoy it a lot.
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    Yeah, wrong forum. But no biggie, I'm a little curious about the online aspects of this game myself. I'm tempted to guess the connection requirements are merely to log your behavior, monitor your browsing habits and installed software, etc.. And then presumably sell that information. Just like nearly every other game these days.

It's amazing to me how accepting young people have become to having a wire implanted up their ass every time they use their electronics. It's almost become a desired feature. - "You just bought drugs to treat a sexually transmitted disease, share now with your Facebook Friends!"
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    This is where you'd want to look: http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/no-man-s-sky
    Pynda said:
    Yeah, wrong forum. But no biggie, I'm a little curious about the online aspects of this game myself. I'm tempted to guess the connection requirements are merely to log your behavior, monitor your browsing habits and installed software, etc.. And then presumably sell that information. Just like nearly every other game these days.

It's amazing to me how accepting young people have become to having a wire implanted up their ass every time they use their electronics. It's almost become a desired feature. - "You just bought drugs to treat a sexually transmitted disease, share now with your Facebook Friends!"
    Lol, its online to record your discoveries. I would guess they will also log your behavior like every online game ever in order to tweak and improve the game.

As to the monitor your browsing and installed software, thats getting into tin foil hat territory.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I am pretty sure they were planning on having the game release with multiplayer, but then when they started coding they went "HOLY **** what have we gotten ourselves into?"  And then they decided to put the multiplayer off for an unnamed date in the future, and without any firm timeline they won't announce multiplayer at ALL until they are ready.

I fully expect that if the game is still doing well in six months they will announce a multiplayer expansion that will involve guild capitol ships and planets but no PvP.  The PvP will be added a year or so after multiplayer is added.

I am sure they want to differentiate from EVE and E:D, and it may take a while to get proper multiplayer and meet that goal.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• MikePaladinMikePaladin Member UncommonPosts: 592
    edited August 2016
    Most of the negative reviews where because Game was lagging like hell after release people with 3 4 hour where giving tons of shit review because of game performance But after patch 2 patches it got better ...
    56% positive as we see positive is rising slowly ......

Game is so so at the moment for me not worth 60 Euro

You can find GOG version for free and try it ......I spent 5 h and I burned out maybe after a year with patches I will buy and play this game but now it's dull, boring, raw

Yeah they seem to just be pushed to give out a minimal viable game . I can't imagine the coding behind the game.!
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    I hate space ships..Give me a sword..and a dragon..and a world to save and i am happy

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• corvascorvas Member UncommonPosts: 151
    edited August 2016
    The game is nice, but if you are looking for a real space game, this isnt your game, its more of an arcade open sandbox sci-fi game to explore different planets, its nothing close to the Elite Dangerous space travel most is automated and you cant crash at all, not even if you try, also it looks abit catroonish, and besides exploring planets, harvesting materials and upgrading your Exosuit, Multitool (Weapon/Mining laser) and ship there isnt anything to do in the game.

Also keyboard and mouse controls are a bit weird, it feels like it has been made for console only.

Ohh and btw it isnt Multiplayer at all, its only Singleplayer.
    Xodic said:
    Dullahan said:

The last person it may appeal to is the completionist. Not necessarily because they're having a great time, but because their ADD will compel them to learn all the languages and fully upgrade everything until they finally reach the center of the universe.
    That's not at all how ADD works. Attention deficit disorder actually 'prevents' you from finishing...

Look, a squirrel...

Sorry obsessive compulsive disorder.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Dullahan said:
    Xodic said:
    Dullahan said:

The last person it may appeal to is the completionist. Not necessarily because they're having a great time, but because their ADD will compel them to learn all the languages and fully upgrade everything until they finally reach the center of the universe.
    That's not at all how ADD works. Attention deficit disorder actually 'prevents' you from finishing...

Look, a squirrel...

I wonder if it's possible to have both ADD and OCD at the same time ? 

What a nightmare...
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Mensur said:
    I hate space ships..Give me a sword..and a dragon..and a world to save and i am happy
    Must be great to be you.  We are beat over the head with swords and dragons over and over in the mmo genre.

I'm a bit surprised that nms is getting a fairly favorable response on this site.  I truly hope they consider multiplayer for a future goal.

Dullahan said:
    Xodic said:
    Dullahan said:

Look, a squirrel...

I wonder if it's possible to have both ADD and OCD at the same time ? 

What a nightmare...
    I just can't stop thinking about how hard it is to focus.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    xpowderx said:

It's a well polished sandbox exploration game. It is also a single player game, with a shared database of discoveries.

The majority of gameplay revolves around visiting randomly generated points of interest. These will give you recipes, ingredients or NPC interaction. You use this to craft upgrades, proceeding further into the galaxy.

This core gameplay seems well presented. Next to that, you can scan creatures and flora. You can also fight several species and trade. There is a great variety in flora and animals, not a lot of variety in structures and points of interest.

If you are someone who doesn't mind repeating this "limited" gameplay cycle, you will likely enjoy the game. What it does, it does very well with little bugs. If you are someone who needs variety in gameplay, you may get bored quickly.

I am someone who doesn't mind a limited gameplay cycle. I absolutely love this game. Then again, I have friends who hate repeating gameplay - those people might get a couple hours out of this, so it's probably not for them (and that's fine).

One thing to note, is that the game is suited for content updates. I can see more featues added as time comes. They have hinted at building structures and social feature. If they intend to deliver regular content updates, the longevity of this game will be much more significant.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    laxie said:
    xpowderx said:

It's a well polished sandbox exploration game. It is also a single player game, with a shared database of discoveries.

The majority of gameplay revolves around visiting randomly generated points of interest. These will give you recipes, ingredients or NPC interaction. You use this to craft upgrades, proceeding further into the galaxy.

This core gameplay seems well presented. Next to that, you can scan creatures and flora. You can also fight several species and trade. There is a great variety in flora and animals, not a lot of variety in structures and points of interest.

If you are someone who doesn't mind repeating this "limited" gameplay cycle, you will likely enjoy the game. What it does, it does very well with little bugs. If you are someone who needs variety in gameplay, you may get bored quickly.

I am someone who doesn't mind a limited gameplay cycle. I absolutely love this game. Then again, I have friends who hate repeating gameplay - those people might get a couple hours out of this, so it's probably not for them (and that's fine).

One thing to note, is that the game is suited for content updates. I can see more featues added as time comes. They have hinted at building structures and social feature. If they intend to deliver regular content updates, the longevity of this game will be much more significant.
    Good post. It is a very divisive game. Seems people either love it or hate it lol
    I think it is the kind of game where you will enjoy it more if you set goals for yourself as just wandering around could get boring without a goal. I am not rushing to get to the center of the galaxy. I am happy exploring and discovering. Really cool. Plus my preorder ship looks like a starwars ship lol 
    Yeah, can't wait to get it!  But gotta wait until the $$$ are in the budget...

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• ZanerkenZanerken Member UncommonPosts: 21
    didn't the creator himself say the game was not fun to play? why do people just jump on hype trains is beyond me.

See you space cowboys

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    edited August 2016
    filmoret said:
    wow it already has 22k reviews on steam.  56% positive
    56% is actually very good considering the horrible performance issues, the high price and the fact that there's actual zero multiplayer even though the guy in charge stated you'd be able to see other players, although it would be very rare due to the number of planets.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    DMKano said:
    There is no way to meet other players - so that info was simply incorrect. 

Also the problem (aside from technical PC issues with crashing) - is this:

Despite umptmillion planets to explore - after the first several dozen - you see the pattern of sameness, so IMO the boredom sets in quite fast, as all these different planets become rather meaningless the more of them you explore.

The game is way overblown for what it is - and it's basically an indie game that's just been overhyped - heck IMO Starbound is a much better game.
    I agree with you 100%.  I've put in some 30 hours or so into NMS.. Now with that said after about 30 planets or so you really do start to see that there is a very very barebones sets of base models they use. The only that generally changes is the color of the models and rather they show up somewhere or not.

Now there are them moments where you run into a planet that has hollow boxs style landscape and that was kind of neat.  But there really is not ALOT to explore that is different. It's more just exploring in the hopes that something different is just around the corner / next planet.

My question is why does every planet seem to have sentinals and ancient buildings on them. I have YET to run into a planet that didnt have old buildings to discover languages and sentinals flying all over. Some wanting to shot you dead for just stopping on the planet other just not giving two shades about what you are doing..  I also haven't seen a planet that didnt have alien life on it yet. Even in spite of super extreme temps.

And why does it seem like every system has a space station in it?
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    xpowderx said:

Its not even multiplayer FFS and here you are, talking about it in the MMO forum.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    Really can't understand why someone would choose NMS over Starbound unless they really liked NMS' mediocre art style or (more likely) disliked Starbound's pixel art style.  Apart from that Starbound really just seems to do everything better than NMS.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver