Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is It Just TOO Chill? - No Man's Sky Column

Comments

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited August 2016
    ianicus said:

GladDog said:

I look at this game, and I will definitely be buying it, but not until the price drops.  I have analyzed this game quite a bit, and I can confidently state that after the first two weeks (gotta enjoy the new car smell!), I will be playing this game for about 5-6 hours a week.  With that level of playtime, it is really hard to justify $60.  I will wait until the price drops below $40, which will put the game in the proper threshold for how I will play it.

It blows my mind how a measly $20 makes all the difference to some people. there HAS to be a MUCH larger group of destitute gamers out there than I thought...
    I was forced out of my job because of my age, something I cannot prove, but that is what happened.  Then I found out that older workers have a huge barrier to return to work.  I put in 2000 apps, and got 11 interviews before I got back to work, and I am by no means an unskilled laborer.  About 20 months passed where I had no job.  My savings emptied, and we had to sell item after item to pay rent and eat.  Both my wife and I had to have teeth extracted because we could not afford the dental work.  I now have a good job and am carefully putting my life back together and trying to get some money saved in case of future problems.  20 bucks is a huge deal to me.

DON'T YOU DARE JUDGE HOW I SPEND MY DAMN MONEY.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    GladDog said:
    ianicus said:

GladDog said:

I look at this game, and I will definitely be buying it, but not until the price drops.  I have analyzed this game quite a bit, and I can confidently state that after the first two weeks (gotta enjoy the new car smell!), I will be playing this game for about 5-6 hours a week.  With that level of playtime, it is really hard to justify $60.  I will wait until the price drops below $40, which will put the game in the proper threshold for how I will play it.

It blows my mind how a measly $20 makes all the difference to some people. there HAS to be a MUCH larger group of destitute gamers out there than I thought...
    I was forced out of my job because of my age, something I cannot prove, but that is what happened.  Then I found out that older workers have a huge barrier to return to work.  I put in 2000 apps, and got 11 interviews before I got back to work, and I am by no means an unskilled laborer.  About 20 months passed where I had no job.  My savings emptied, and we had to sell item after item to pay rent and eat.  Both my wife and I had to have teeth extracted because we could not afford the dental work.  I now have a good job and am carefully putting my life back together and trying to get some money saved in case of future problems.  20 bucks is a huge deal to me.

Seriously?

It's a game. So no...your $20 bucks? Might be spent a bit better than on a game? How about $20 of Top Ramen?

Or how about you don't go over the top telling someone else not to judge your asshat money decisions?

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    You're missing a bit of crucial information in this math: we know that a player reached the center of the galaxy in 30 hours on a leaked copy. Unless something drastic has changed, it stands to reason that two players with an open channel of communication should have a good probability of being able to reach each other within a day provided that each is able to accurately locate him/herself within the galaxy. This is true even if the spawns are totally random.
    That player was using an exploit to do that. That has been fixed by the day 1 patch.

So yes...something drastic has changed. :)
  • RedFang069RedFang069 Member UncommonPosts: 10

SEANMCAD said:

observer said:

The game looks visually appealing, but it doesn't look like it's for me. It's a survival game, but you'll mostly be playing solo and against A.I.

If players were more concentrated together, then the dynamics of the survival aspect would be a lot more interesting. There also needs to be a guild system, and we'll end up seeing territorial control on some planets. An organic community would form. As it is now though, it's unlikely happen.

as a side note I hear 'visually appealing' from a lot of people but to me it looks horrible. I find the art very distracting and immersion killing and even from a stand point of art I find it rather annoying.

What you have seen is only PS4 play wait for the PC version!! watch our GPU's bring out the fullness and rapture of the graphics.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    GladDog said:
    ianicus said:

GladDog said:

Seriously?

It's a game. So no...your $20 bucks? Might be spent a bit better than on a game? How about $20 of Top Ramen?

Or how about you don't go over the top telling someone else not to judge your asshat money decisions?
    Things are a lot better, we are putting money away, and I have a personal entertainment budget of $35 a month, of which $15 goes to ESO.  So I have $20 I can save a month for game purchases.  The difference between $40 and $60 is that I need to wait a month later to buy.  And if I have to wait for 7 weeks after release, I am sure the game will go 'on sale' for $39.99.  I will have $40 put away at the end of this month.

The thing that bothered me about ianicus' statement is that he was implying I was an idiot to sweat so much over $20.  Well, I have no choice but to sweat over every $20 I earn until our savings are refilled, which will take a couple of years.

It did not help that last weekend my mother had a heart attack and was at death's door, and I had to WAY overpay for a plane ticket to see her, nearly twice what it would have been normally.  This almost wiped out my savings again.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    SEANMCAD said:
    observer said:
    The game looks visually appealing, but it doesn't look like it's for me. It's a survival game, but you'll mostly be playing solo and against A.I.

If players were more concentrated together, then the dynamics of the survival aspect would be a lot more interesting. There also needs to be a guild system, and we'll end up seeing territorial control on some planets. An organic community would form. As it is now though, it's unlikely happen.
    as a side note I hear 'visually appealing' from a lot of people but to me it looks horrible. I find the art very distracting and immersion killing and even from a stand point of art I find it rather annoying.

Not everyone is an art or graphics aficionado though, so saying it's "visually appealing" is applicable.  
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    SEANMCAD said:
    It's a no win situation for these guys. They make certain things rare and on day X fans and writers are dry complaining about lack of seeing anything rare. If they had made everything extra available, it would have been "I found everything too fast, once you've seen one you've seen em all". I thought the whole point of the exploration was for you to find that cool thing be happy and document it. "Most of the planets are barren, they aren't teaming with life so I can comlain about all the planets teaming with life".

Explore More.
    cost of overhyping the shit out of what is normally just an average ok game
    Can folks explain to me what entails "overhyping". Is "overhyping" apart of marketing? 

"Hey guys lets get our game very popular and talked about so we can get some sales... but on second thought lets only do it a little bit so we don't overhype and accidentally sell too many copies?"

"Yeah, lets scale back on that check we were going to cut to MMORPG so we don't overhype guys. We're completely in the drivers seat on this."
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • FuffensteinFuffenstein Member UncommonPosts: 39

SEANMCAD said:

SquireX said:

TimEisen said:

Apparently two people did meet up but couldn't see one another, maybe due to some instancing or something. That was fast. Gamers gonna gamer and other than the writers, most of us are pretty smart ;)

From what I read, two players were streaming on Twitch.  One player came across a planet that was named by the other.  He reached out to that person and then they coordinated the experiments.  I also read a comment that while they were on the same planet, they were at different "time periods" in the game, whatever that means....

Edit: Found Sean's tweet about it. Some of the comments are entertaining

The chances of a person playing the game and streaming and finding a planet that another player who also streams named is stastically less likely then us interacting with aliens as common place.

either everyone is being spawned near the same location or some bamboozling is going on. its a bit surprising to me how much as been written and said about this game with a clear misunderstanding of exactly how big we are talking about

Not really since one of them(maybe both?) started streaming after they made contact with each other.
  • mike32927mike32927 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I haven't played the game yet, but from what I can tell this whole game is a massive illusion. Exploring a vast universe with over 18 quintillion planets, but I think what you're really doing is seeing 18 quintillion versions of the same planet, so you're not really going anywhere, just going to the same planet with different visuals over and over and over........ Hopefully I'm wrong.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    GladDog said:
    By the way, here is the math on this.

18 Quintilian planets.  That is 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 planets.  Lets say a million players explore 1000 planets on average (honestly, that is probably very optimistic; at 3 planets a day it would take a year to get to a thousand, and while I think this game will do well, I doubt it will retain one million players for a year that are willing to explore 3 planets daily).  That is one billion planets explored, which is 1,000,000,000.  so if you divide planets explored by total planets you get... a 1 in 18,000,000,000 chance of meeting another player.  That is one in 18 BILLION.  The odds of hitting Mega Millions (I checked) are 1 in 176,000,000.  One in 176 million.  That means you have a 102 times better chance of winning the lottery (I was working with 5 quintillion planets when I did my original math) than meeting another player in the game.

If you DO meet another player in the game DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT, EVER BUY ANOTHER LOTTERY TICKET.  Your luck is all used up.
    well pseudo random number generators or bugs in the code have a way of reducing the odds LOL.
    SEANMCAD said:
    I think I just got hit with a more plasable answer and I am a bit surprised I (or someone) didnt think of this

names a planet then calls his streamer buddy to 'find it' and gives him the location with plans to both be online when it happens.

Why would Sean say what he said however is explainable really in all cases
    they still had to spawn relatively near each other.  Which wasn't supposed to happen.
    mike32927 said:
    I haven't played the game yet, but from what I can tell this whole game is a massive illusion. Exploring a vast universe with over 18 quintillion planets, but I think what you're really doing is seeing 18 quintillion versions of the same planet, so you're not really going anywhere, just going to the same planet with different visuals over and over and over........ Hopefully I'm wrong.
    of course that's what it is.  but procedurally generated worlds gave me fun in minecraft so I'm sure they can give people fun in this game.
  • vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

Personally, if it has no multiplayer = no purchase from me.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    The game gets released too soon, but as always with indie studios it might be a money issue.
    I guess in one year it could be a great game that is much more rounded , feature complete and interesting not only for die hard fans.

Too bad that by then everyone else will have tried the version which still lacks on all fronts and says "oh, yes..that game..i played it once, not much to do. more like a LAST MAN IN SPACE simulator. i'm currently waiting for this other title that is in the works."  It's what always happens.

I'm all for indie titles, but don't make a game if you don't have the funds to delay it until it is actually ready.
    I can already see these interviews going like "yes, we made alot of mistakes..but with our next title blabla".

By the time this is ready, it will be down to 6,99 on steam.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    I'm not the slightest bit surprised at the reactions to NMS so far. It's almost exactly what I thought would happen, although I expected it to be somewhat worse.

Only the "real explorer types" are loving it, while the majority are bored after the first day.

The people that will love NMS are those that can make their own stories and have an eye for detail. The great herd of gamers charging around looking for "Oh Wow !" moments or gripping space combat will be gone very soon.

It's possible that the game sold reasonably well, given that Hello Games are promising a number of new features for upcoming patches. I have a bad feeling about this though, because it almost sounds like HG are trying to make the game "all things to all people". Rushing the addition of features like "base building" will only result in an underwhelming implementation of said feature, which will make the dissatisfied players even more disappointed.

I've seen many comments that hope that modding will "save" the game. It won't. Unfortunately, NMS will be very difficult if not impossible to mod, because everything is procedurally generated. I doubt that HG will give modders access to the mathematical formulas that generate the NMS universe. I have also never heard anyone from HG mentioning their support for modding.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    A game with minimal content portraying itself as a game with enough content to fill a billion worlds - and people are disappointed?

I'm shocked.

It's Elite Dangerous all over again - except without multiplayer.

These games facilitate use of your imagination and they charge a premium price.

If you have no problem imagining your own lore and you can come up with your own goals when handed a tiny set of mechanics - then I think this game can be great.

Personally, I enjoy a handcrafted story with a powerful narrative - and I enjoy content when it's designed and cared for - rather than the result of a some formula, but that's just me.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited August 2016
    SquireX said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    I think I just got hit with a more plasable answer and I am a bit surprised I (or someone) didnt think of this

names a planet then calls his streamer buddy to 'find it' and gives him the location with plans to both be online when it happens.

Why would Sean say what he said however is explainable really in all cases
    Actually, that's what was originally said in the discussion....Streamer A saw a named planet done by Streamer B and contacted Streamer B to come meet him on said planet.  Vice versa doesn't matter....in a realm of 18 quint planets, how does one realistically go about "finding" 1 planet out of so many?  And if I understand correctly,  it takes a ton of time to travel one galaxy, much less 1 planet out of 18 quint.  I'm not clear on how the NMS universe is organized (multiple galaxies?), but both players would have to had spawned relatively close to each other, which I think we all agree is statistically improbable unless their is an issue with their spawn code, an exploit, or the NMS universe isn't as big in reality as claimed.
    no that is not what I am saying

I am saying Streamer A named a planet then called up Steamer B and told him to pretend like Streamer B found the planet but Streamer B already had the coords from a previous conversation with Streamer A.

Its EXTREEMLY unlikely that one just happened to find a planet that just happened to be named by a streamer that you knew. Like more likely to interact with real aliens then that is to happen

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Rhoklaw said:
    Well, it was confirmed on the first day that NMS despite being played by thousands of people on the same server is in fact not a multiplayer game. Two separate players both streaming their games happened to be on the same planet. One of them contacted the other in an attempt to meet up and found a landmark they both recognized. Once they reached the landmark, the results were indeed disappointing. Neither one of the players could see each other and any manipulation they did to the planet was not recognized by the other player. Therefor, NMS is in fact a single player game, at least for now.
    I am 99.99999999% convinced that it was the other way around

Steamer A: Named a planet
    Steamer A: Called up Streamer B and gave him the corrds and said 'at set time go there and pretend like you found it'

• MadunqsMadunqs Member UncommonPosts: 8
    I want an AH so i can sell my rare stuff i find on these unexplored planets. If there is that i would buy/play it.
    TimEisen said:
    The drama is not slowing down and the lack of response from Hello Games is adding fuel to the fire and it hasn't even hit PC yet! No Man's Skygate continues!
    And will probably pick up both speed and volume once it hits PC release ! 

I'd be a bit reluctant to accept every claim of "fraud" immediately though. As it turned out during the early days of the leaked streams, the "absence of evidence is not always evidence of absence".

Sean Murray undeniably described multiplayer interaction in his interview comments, regardless of how vague he was about the specifics. Having no multiplayer interaction whatsoever would be grounds for an unconditional refund. I can't believe that Hello Games would have been that stupid, there has to be another explanation.
  • adamaj74adamaj74 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I knew this game was going to be boring, repetitive and just plain, "meh."
    edited August 2016
    TimEisen said:
    The drama is not slowing down and the lack of response from Hello Games is adding fuel to the fire and it hasn't even hit PC yet! No Man's Skygate continues!

I'd be a bit reluctant to accept every claim of "fraud" immediately though. As it turned out during the early days of the leaked streams, the "absence of evidence is not always evidence of absence".

Sean Murray undeniably described multiplayer interaction in his interview comments, regardless of how vague he was about the specifics. Having no multiplayer interaction whatsoever would be grounds for an unconditional refund. I can't believe that Hello Games would have been that stupid, there has to be another explanation.
    regarding the streamed event a few things

1. its likely that Streamer A found a planet and then called Streamer B and told him to go to that location and act as if he just found it. thus faking a 'find'

2. If its possible to play the game in 'offline' mode while still at the same time having it collect data (such as you naming plants). Then one of the streamers could have placed his game in offiline mode.

thus faking all of it

• Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Reminds me of the Solus Project, it's a good game to relax and explore and lacks excitement. I hope it dose well but as it is right now it's not a game I am planing to pick up.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Strange that pretty much everyone playing NMS is loving it yet negative reviews and complaints about it continue to poor in from the people not playing it. Maybe if you haven't played it you should just shut up and keep your wrong opinions to yourself. 
    SEANMCAD said:
    TimEisen said:

regarding the streamed event a few things

1. its likely that Streamer A found a planet and then called Streamer B and told him to go to that location and act as if he just found it. thus faking a 'find'

2. If its possible to play the game in 'offline' mode while still at the same time having it collect data (such as you naming plants). Then one of the streamers could have placed his game in offiline mode.

thus faking all of it

I'm not sure why you seem so hell-bent on pushing your theory that the arranged meeting of 2 players was somehow fake. Who cares how they arranged it ?

How it was arranged is irrelevant.

The controversy is around the outcome of the meeting, i.e. they couldn't see each other. At all.

So either:
    • it's a technical hitch and things aren't working as intended
    • there's an unknown game play mechanism that prevented them from seeing each other
    • Sean Murray brazenly lied to everyone (and left video evidence of the lies)
    I'd be inclined to think it's the second option. Warp drives distorting local time would be an obvious explanation, for instance.

But whatever the explanation is, a game play mechanism preventing arranged meetings would explain why HG were so adamant that meetings were going to be "rare".

The multiplayer aspect is not important to me, but the outcome of this controversy is, as it will have a significant effect on the future of the game.